News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
That’s exactly how it’s supposed to work.

Disney hasn't appeared on my resume since 2009.

My current career, including the job that started it, began in 2010.

So, Disney training has value for “unskilled” workers that potentially benefits them in future, better jobs.

To an extent yet. But at least in the greater Central Florida area, there are so many crappy current and former CMs out there that poisoned the well, that having Disney on your resume isn't even close to a benefit.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
It’s so tiring of things in Norway being compared to the States.

The two countries are not even close is so many facets it’s just being cretinous.

It’s like comparing a pontoon boat to an aircraft carrier.
Fair.

The only thing they have in common are that they're both developed western countries with capitalist economies and whose citizens enjoy high incomes.

But Norway has a social safety net and stupid long winters.

Meanwhile the US has more mass shootings than days in the year and medical debt.

You're right, they're not comparable. Norway is ahead of us.

eliza61nyc

I get where you're coming from, but I think we need to steer clear of the false dichotomy of 'utopia or bust'.

It's not a matter of finding a perfect society, but recognizing the very real problems that exist in our own country.

It's not just a matter of treating the lowest paid workers poorly and providing subpar education, it's the fact that we have the resources to do better and yet we're not doing enough.

Suggesting that we should strive for a utopia or settle for the status quo is not a productive way to move forward.

We can do better and we should strive to do so.

But who's responsible for a person to do better?? You're right it's not about utopia but it's also not about some one else be responsible for YOUR standard of living.
Of course we can do better, they're unfortunately has always been poor among us.
Subpar schools are not simply a result of lack of funding. Here in PA we spend a crap load of money per student on public education . We also have teachers who a burning out because children today have issues that would make you're head spin.
Not sure what resources you talking about so can comment on that.

Alanzo

But who's responsible for a person to do better?? You're right it's not about utopia but it's also not about some one else be responsible for YOUR standard of living.
Of course we can do better, they're unfortunately has always been poor among us.
Subpar schools are not simply a result of lack of funding. Here in PA we spend a crap load of money per student on public education . We also have teachers who a burning out because children today have issues that would make you're head spin.
Not sure what resources you talking about so can comment on that.

Look, individual effort and responsibility do play a role in success, but it's also important to recognize the impact of systemic factors like access to quality education and economic opportunity.

The United States lags behind other developed countries in these areas, and increasing taxes on the ultra-wealthy can provide resources to support programs that reduce poverty and inequality.

As philosopher John Rawls suggested, if we were to imagine ourselves behind the veil of ignorance, what kind of society would we choose? Without knowing who your parents were going to be, or what disabilities you might have, what safeguards would you want in place? What societal agreements would you want to have been settled through trial and error?

Because we are building that society right now, except it won't be for us. It'll be for those who come after us.

Let's move beyond this argument and work towards building a more equitable society, where everyone has a fair shot at success.

Alanzo

Getting the wealthy to pay more taxes by ones who make the laws who are very wealthy themselves ?

I think we're getting sidetracked by things that are ultimately unrelated to the issues at hand.

The systemic factors affecting success, access to quality education and economic opportunity, and increasing taxes on the ultra-wealthy are important to address, regardless of who is advocating for them.

But hey, you're right! It is true that in America, wealth can play a role in running for office, due to the cost of campaigning and the influence of money in politics. And have you heard how much it costs to rent an apartment in DC these days? Oowee!

This is precisely why it's important to support policies that reduce the influence of money in politics and make it easier for people of all backgrounds to run for office. By working together to address these issues, we can help create a more equitable society where everyone has a fair shot at success.

celluloid

Fair.

The only thing they have in common are that they're both developed western countries with capitalist economies and whose citizens enjoy high incomes.

But Norway has a social safety net and stupid long winters.

Meanwhile the US has more mass shootings than days in the year and medical debt.

You're right, they're not comparable. Norway is ahead of us.

Norway is also incredibly homogenic without much variance in the decisions made.

RobWDW1971

3x average price for a 1 bedroom apartment within a 1 hour commuting distance as net pay.

You can do the math.
So in other words you don’t have the answer to the simple question. Got it.

Parroting theoretical nonsense is always easier than articulating how these concepts would actually work in the real world.

- They should be paid a living wage!!!

- What’s the living wage?

- Uh, um, Norway!!!!

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I’m a foodie visiting other countries mainly for that. I assure you Norway is not on my bucket list . I ate at the former all u can eat at Askerhaus at Epcot Norway. You’ve got to be kidding me if that’s what is served in Norway to eat.
If you think anything served at Epcot truly represents the cuisine of a country maybe rethink your foodie name tag.

Rich Brownn

And my point is wages have never kept up with the cost of living in the low paying fields, that why people were encouraged to go to school on the first place.
A roof over you're head is not an option how you get that roof and what type of abode it covers is definitely going to be the result of choices
Edit to add, my perception is skewed. I grew up in high as heck NYC, where rents have always been ridiculous. No if you worked as a cashier in Macy's in the 70s you were not getting an apartment by yourself. You had roommates and no car.
NYC also had rent control. And a college degree doesn't get you much nowdays, as many are finding out. (And who the heck would have a car in NYC?) I grew up in NYC in the 60s myself. We lived in a rent-controlled apartment in the Heights area. Different time, different world. Orlando is not NYC. apples and oranges.

Rich Brownn

I do know that Universal gives all their team members a free frozen turkey for the holidays.
Yeah that was great (10lb one too, not something tiny). We also got free admission to HHN (now on select nights) where Disney employees have to pay for after hour events. And we got comp tickets left and right with very limited blackouts (ask a Disney CM how many blackouts the parks have which makes their freebie very limited). When I left universal I had 17 comp tickets left! Full timers health benefits are darn impressive (the dental plan is amazing - they pay 80% of crowns!) Even the managers were much easier to deal with. Now, I might have been lucky (Disaster! was a dream job with a dream staff) but a lot of my co-workers worked both Disney and Universal and they preferred Universal by far. (AS a side note: I worked Disney in the 70s and the behavior of my managers then would be an HR-related terminable offense nowdays. It was not, by any means, a fun place to work where I did in attractions).

Lilofan

If you think anything served at Epcot truly represents the cuisine of a country maybe rethink your foodie name tag.
Your statement is odd. So what you are saying following does not represent their country

Mexico - tacos and burritos
UK, fish and chips , chicken tikka
Italy pizza and pasta
Morocco tangine kebabs
Japan sushi teppanyaki

Maybe rethink your opinion before you assume.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Parroting theoretical nonsense is always easier than articulating how these concepts would actually work in the real world.

- Uh, um, Norway!!!!
Norway
Student loan? Never heard it
Health care in network out of network , deductible , co pay , - what's that?

Last edited:

Lilofan

I think we're getting sidetracked by things that are ultimately unrelated to the issues at hand.

The systemic factors affecting success, access to quality education and economic opportunity, and increasing taxes on the ultra-wealthy are important to address, regardless of who is advocating for them.

But hey, you're right! It is true that in America, wealth can play a role in running for office, due to the cost of campaigning and the influence of money in politics. And have you heard how much it costs to rent an apartment in DC these days? Oowee!

This is precisely why it's important to support policies that reduce the influence of money in politics and make it easier for people of all backgrounds to run for office. By working together to address these issues, we can help create a more equitable society where everyone has a fair shot at success.
Reducing donations to solicit favors will never end. Even the Mouse knows what palms to grease and is not the only player in the you take care of me I will take care of you. That’s why whatever the media portrays them to be , The Disney unions and the company have a relationship .

Fido Chuckwagon

Your statement is odd. So what you are saying following does not represent their country

Mexico - tacos and burritos
UK, fish and chips , chicken tikka
Italy pizza and pasta
Morocco tangine kebabs
Japan sushi teppanyaki

Maybe rethink your opinion before you assume.
Epcot serves Americanized versions of international dishes. Your statement would be the equivalent of going to a Taco Bell and declaring that Mexican food is gross, or going to an American Chinese Food Restaurant and basing your idea on what is actually eaten in China on that.

Patcheslee

- Uh, um, Norway!!!!
Apparently MIT came up with a general calculator for each state. For a single person with no children, living wage comes in at $17.72. Union asking for $18 isn't a huge jump.

Nubs70

That’s exactly how it’s supposed to work.

So, Disney training has value for “unskilled” workers that potentially benefits them in future, better jobs.

I spend so many hours paying people to learn, I should charge tuition.

I have to teach high school and college kids basic, basic things. Safety, security, how to speak in a professional manner, how you can’t call out whenever you want because this isn’t school - and, most importantly, the plural of “vinyl” is “vinyl,” not “vinyls.” 🤨🤣😉

I have to teach 60 year olds how to copy and paste, use a spreadsheet, respond to questions on social media, and how to tell the difference between a message that has been already read, responded to, forwarded, and from whom they were sent.

One guy who used to fight me a lot on how to do things moved to Texas, started working at a storage facility, and was quickly promoted to management. He called to thank me because what I taught him (at my expense) was what impressed them and helped him get promoted.

I hire “low level” jobs but prepare them for “real” jobs down the road better than school did.
So a "low level" position should be considered like a paid internship? A lower wage while gaining a skill set for a new position with a higher wage?

Life is a paid internship.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom