News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

MagicHappens1971

We really need an actual cast member to fact check, but we like to use as an example, "popcorn vendor" but I am guessing CMs are cross trained for many jobs and need to show up at different locations as needed.

I seem to remember, cast members getting receipt size printouts that tell them where to go throughout the day?
To a limited extent. A “popcorn vendor” would typically be categorized as “ODV (outdoor vending). They would typically be trained in all of the carts in their area of the park (varies from park to park) and then would rotate throughout the day

TrainsOfDisney

Honestly, I don't much care what Walt felt was appropriate over half a century ago now.
Then you'd fit right in at the Disney company!

Naturally I want things updated and plussed. Goodness the fantasyland of 1960 looks like a cheap carnival compared to the wonderful updates Baxter led (and have since been updated further by modern imagineers).

Your example of uniforms is great. Take the basic idea, and update it.

Californian Elitist

I'd definitely call the patience to deal with thousands of entitled tourists a skill.
Some people may laugh at this, but there is truth to this.

During my college years, I worked for both Disney and Universal (in California). My interview for Universal was actually an audition, and we didn’t even find this out until the way end. There were multiple Universal representatives in the room, but they didn’t tell us who they were. They put us in groups and gave us various tasks to complete and we had to present each task. Long story short, the audition was a test to see who had the most natural energy, “pizazz,” and personality. The representatives were actually managers from different park departments and were taking notes on our behavior. The ones with the most energy were offered to work in operations (attractions). The ones who were a little less energetic and fun were offered sales/food, then the next level was shows, I think, and the last was character handlers. The ones who had no energy or character about them at all were told thanks for coming, but no, and we’re not offered a job.

As someone who’s worked at DL and USH, I would say working at theme parks absolutely takes skill, sometimes multiple skills.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

During my college years, I worked for both Disney and Universal (in California). My interview for Universal was actually an audition, and we didn’t even find this out until the way end. There were multiple Universal representatives in the room, but they didn’t tell us who they were. They put us in groups and gave us various tasks to complete and we had to present each task. Long story short, the audition was a test to see who had the most natural energy, “pizazz,” and personality. The representatives were actually managers from different park departments and were taking notes on our behavior. The ones with the most energy were offered to work in operations (attractions). The ones who were a little less energetic and fun were offered sales/food, then the next level was shows, I think, and the last was character handlers. The ones who had no energy or character about them at all were told thanks for coming, but no, and we’re not offered a job.

As someone who’s worked at DL and USH, I would say working at theme parks absolutely takes skill, sometimes multiple skills.

I did my time in the parks - WDW (all 4) and Universal Orlando (USF and IOA). The patience I developed there has guided me through a career in corporate America having to translate business and engineering speak into actionable creative deliverables, while at the same time controlling my desire to tell people who are less experienced than me and poorly-prepared to jump out of a 31st story window and into a thimble filled with thumb tacks.

Disstevefan1

I did my time in the parks - WDW (all 4) and Universal Orlando (USF and IOA). The patience I developed there has guided me through a career in corporate America having to translate business and engineering speak into actionable creative deliverables, while at the same time controlling my desire to tell people who are less experienced than me and poorly-prepared to jump out of a 31st story window and into a thimble filled with thumb tacks.
Which had better cast member/team member perks, WDW or Universal Orlando?

Vegas Disney Fan

I think we’re getting bogged down in semantics at this point, quoting my own post from a few weeks ago as an example of agreeing in principle while disagreeing on the details. We can disagree about the “definition” of words but ultimately all that matters to this discussion is if it’s marketable and should be rewarded via pay raises, that’s what really matters.

I think something that often gets overlooked in marketable “skills” is attitude and personality. You don’t need a college degree or decades of experience to be ”worth” more, especially when it comes to the customer service industry, I‘ve worked in Vegas for 20 years and I’ll hire a great personality over a college degree 90% of the time. Personality is the true value of a CM, some are worth far more than they are paid, some are worth far less, unfortunately they all get paid the same regardless of how well they perform the job.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Which had better cast member/team member perks, WDW or Universal Orlando?
They were comparable. At the time Universal paid (a wee bit) better and had a more flexible attendance policy, but Disney's training was superior, overtime was easier to get, and their health insurance was a lot cheaper.

Also, when it came to desirability of Disney vs Universal comps, Disney edged out.

Californian Elitist

Yep. My time at both has helped me get some of my more “big girl” jobs as well. Employers sometimes automatically assume you’re good with people and have excellent guest service skills if they see you’ve worked at a theme park.

I no longer put those positions on my resume, but I’ve been told that I should, even for future higher education positions (my field).

Californian Elitist

I think we’re getting bogged down in semantics at this point, quoting my own post from a few weeks ago as an example of agreeing in principle while disagreeing on the details. We can disagree about the “definition” of words but ultimately all that matters to this discussion is if it’s marketable and should be rewarded via pay raises, that’s what really matters.
It is marketable (and even rewarded in some cases), hence why the boring, lame interviewees got the boot after the audition.

Nubs70

Honestly, I don't much care what Walt felt was appropriate over half a century ago now. Times and standards change. Below is a photo of how female CMs on Main Street used to dress at one point:

bbe47c5deb98fd83ad1ab902298ae77f.jpg

To modern eyes (or to my modern eyes, at least), their attire seems strangely sexualised, a relic of a time when "girls" were expected to look "pretty" for their male employers. This is how the same costume looks today:

disneyland_tour_guide_2_by_anime_ray_d49ynm4-fullview.jpg

Ignoring societal shifts is a bad strategy for any business, and especially one like Disney that is all about engaging the public.

Vegas Disney Fan

Then you'd fit right in at the Disney company!

Naturally I want things updated and plussed. Goodness the fantasyland of 1960 looks like a cheap carnival compared to the wonderful updates Baxter led (and have since been updated further by modern imagineers).

Your example of uniforms is great. Take the basic idea, and update it.

Keeping up with the times is important but Disney also sells nostalgia so it needs to be very careful to maintain the balance between being relevant and nostalgic.

Lilofan

They were comparable. At the time Universal paid (a wee bit) better and had a more flexible attendance policy, but Disney's training was superior, overtime was easier to get, and their health insurance was a lot cheaper.

Also, when it came to desirability of Disney vs Universal comps, Disney edged out.
Disney offered cast discounts on DCL. Uni has no ships.

TrainsOfDisney

Keeping up with the times is important but Disney also sells nostalgia so it needs to be very careful to maintain the balance between being relevant and nostalgic.
That’s an excellent point. Are the dapper dans modern? No. Should Disney put them in skinny jeans and have them sing “immortals” by fallout boy or “when can we do it again” by owl city?

It’s modern! It’s with the times!

Now ideally there is some room for type casting. A long beard looks fine in Frontierland. Piercings and visible tatoos fit in at Rock n roller coaster and some goth makeup is fine at haunted mansion.

Alanzo

That’s an excellent point. Are the dapper dans modern? No. Should Disney put them in skinny jeans and have them sing “immortals” by fallout boy or “when can we do it again” by owl city?

It’s modern! It’s with the times!

Now ideally there is some room for type casting. A long beard looks fine in Frontierland. Piercings and visible tatoos fit in at Rock n roller coaster and some goth makeup is fine at haunted mansion.

Retaining the traditional appearance of Disney's Dapper Dans, or allowing for more individuality and self-expression, can both make sound business sense. And while the Dapper Dans might be an attraction reflective of the nostalgia and authenticity of Disney's Main Street, it's worth wondering: how cool would it be to hear them singing some Bruno Mars or other contemporary hits?

Jokes aside, it is important for Disney to find a balance between preserving the charm of their classic attractions and incorporating modern elements that can enhance the overall guest experience. As tastes and preferences change, it may be necessary to loosen some of the grooming standards for cast members in order to create a more welcoming and inclusive environment.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just playing… but this in itself is an argument from fallacy. You are discounting his conclusions because of fallacy rather than arguing your points. Touché?
No it's not - that's how you discredit conclusions - by discrediting or debunking the logic and supporting material the conclusion is drawn from. Your position here is.. insane. Dissecting an argument is now a fallacy? lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom