News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

celluloid

That's sad that someone would say they deserve an Educator's pay and also say one of the things they teach kids is you can't call out whenever you want because this isn't school." Tells me the level of respect one has towards educators right now.

Lilofan

Epcot serves Americanized versions of international dishes. Your statement would be the equivalent of going to a Taco Bell and declaring that Mexican food is gross, or going to an American Chinese Food Restaurant and basing your idea on what is actually eaten in China on that.
As an example the fish and chips at UK Epcot and the same in London tasted the same but that’s just one opinion.

eliza61nyc

$20 an hour should do it. Would be about $3000 a month after taxes in Florida. I'm going with about $1000 a month in rent.
Lol and I guess short term memory is in effect, last contract negotiations everyone swore 15-17 hour would do it. Now it's 20 an hour and in 2 years you'll be back saying it takes 25.00 hour.
And those still in low wage positions will still be struggling saying it's Disney's fault.

Rinse, dry and repeat

eliza61nyc

Apparently MIT came up with a general calculator for each state. For a single person with no children, living wage comes in at $17.72. Union asking for $18 isn't a huge jump.
I do think they'll get 17-18 bucks. Looking at Disney careers many of the positions especially the entry level culinary positions stated beginning salaries of 16.
80 and up. They were on Hilton head though, didn't see much for orlando

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
So in other words you don’t have the answer to the simple question. Got it.

Parroting theoretical nonsense is always easier than articulating how these concepts would actually work in the real world.

- They should be paid a living wage!!!

- What’s the living wage?

- Uh, um, Norway!!!!

Or I give you a specific number and you go with:

“I don’t even earn that much, and I do…”
or
“And that’ll cause housing to increase by X…”
or
“And that’ll cause me to pay another buck for a footlong at Casey’s”
or
“That’s communism!”

Because you were never arguing in food faith, and I won’t let you draw me in.

Oh, and I wasn’t the one who started on Norway. I just had fun with it.

mkt

Premium Member
And have you heard how much it costs to rent an apartment in DC these days? Oowee!
A lot, but oddly enough, not as much as what some Florida cities cost now. And owing to higher wages there, it’s still more affordable than Florida overall.

Lilofan

A lot, but oddly enough, not as much as what some Florida cities cost now. And owing to higher wages there, it’s still more affordable than Florida overall.
Orlando traffic is nothing like DC traffic. When I stayed in Fredericksburg VA in a hotel the front desk staff advised me to get on I-95 N to get to DC starting at 515am because traffic builds close to 6am.

eliza61nyc

Hey MKT
Any guess on why that's happening?? That seems insane to me especially since Florida notoriously lags behind in salary

mkt

Premium Member
Orlando traffic is nothing like DC traffic. When I stayed in Fredericksburg VA in a hotel the front desk staff advised me to get on I-95 N to get to DC starting at 515am because traffic builds close to 6am.
And Orlando public transit (horrible) is nothing like DC public transit (not horrible).

Lilofan

I will say it's really interesting to me the shift in attitude in a really short time. It used to be "how can I better my situation"and now it's " rich people, you owe me"

I wish the CM’s lots of luck
It is true irony that when the attitude of you're rich you owe me is targeted to certain states and cities but the good amount of" the rich you owe me " ( but not admitting to it ) because these states love their govt assistance namely WV, MS and AL.

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member
I will say it's really interesting to me the shift in attitude in a really short time. It used to be "how can I better my situation"and now it's " rich people, you owe me"

I wish the CM’s lots of luck
They realized that in a capitalist economy, their labor holds a certain value. So pay them or figure out how to run your already short staffed business.

Lilofan

And Orlando public transit (horrible) is nothing like DC public transit (not horrible).
Just think if Disney America that was planned and ready to be built in Northern VA outside DC would have happened under Eisner. One slight hurdle that Disney could not navigate and backed off from the theme park being built - the angry locals who organized , fought , won and defeated the Mouse. DC transit running to the front entrance, perhaps.

mkt

Premium Member
Which is going to constantly be a danger for the minimum wage earner and why I lean toward moving out of those positions
That would be a valid argument if Central Florida’s wages weren’t already depressed overall due to its reliance on hospitality as its economic engine and failure to diversify.

mkt

Premium Member
Just think if Disney America that was planned and ready to be built in Northern VA outside DC would have happened under Eisner. One slight hurdle that Disney could not navigate and backed off from the theme park being built - the angry locals who organized , fought , won and defeated the Mouse. DC transit running to the front entrance, perhaps.

And instead theme-park tourists and traffic they ended up with McMansions and traffic.

Drdcm

Eh, I live in the DC area and if you live in the burbs public transportation is somewhat useless for most areas. It is true, my wife has to leave the house at 5am to avoid hours of traffic. I’ve lived in Chicago, NYC, and LA before - but never Orlando. Getting around here is the worst 😕

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom