News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Chi84

Premium Member
$20,000,000 divided by 75,000 is $266 per CM.

Or about the same amount of money entry-level CM's at an unskilled $17 an hour pay rate would make in two 8 hour shifts.
What is your point? It’s not like he was saying the exact money given to Chapek would have been sufficient to cover pay raises for the CMs. That makes no sense and no one thinks like that.

He’s making a point that Disney should rethink its priorities about how it allocates its resources.

I have no idea what you mean by “racist” math in your earlier post but please stop talking nonsense here.

TP2000

CM jobs aren’t unskilled and I’m so sick of people saying that. I’d like to see half of the people on these forums try to be a CM. And I’m not saying they should split that 20 million, just that they have the resources to pay more

If a position can be filled by an 18 year old walking in off the street after one or two weeks of training, it is unskilled.

Jungle Cruise Skippers, Tomorrowland Terrace busboys, Poly housekeepers, California Grill dishwashers, park sweepers, ticket takers, parking lot attendants, etc., etc. are all positions routinely filled by 18 years olds with little to no previous job experience and no formal education beyond a high school diploma. Traditionally those positions are classified as "unskilled".

Much like the use of the phrase "lowered standards" to describe the nearly complete abandonment of grooming standards in the past year or two, the phrase "unskilled" is accurate and has been used for many decades to describe that type of job. Because it requires no formal education or trained skill, like an electrician or a plumber or a court stenographer.

If you don't want to use the word "unskilled", what word would you like to use for a job that can be filled by an 18 year old with a high school diploma after a week or two of training?

eliza61nyc

CM jobs aren’t unskilled and I’m so sick of people saying that. I’d like to see half of the people on these forums try to be a CM. And I’m not saying they should split that 20 million, just that they have the resources to pay more
I would say most people here were in similar jobs in their youth. No not at Disney but yes I would say most of us held those entry level service jobs that worked with the public.
We just recognized they were not careers but our first or early jobs.

TP2000

I totally agree with @TP2000 , the cast members will get a few dollars raise, will it be enough to keep pace with inflation and the ridiculous rise in housing costs?? Doubtful. And in 5 years we'll be right back here with the same type of thread

What's fascinating to watch is how the Union leadership plays this on social media and with their members. Pretending as if there's some sort of chance that TDO will suddenly up their offer by two bucks an hour, just because the Union sent out very strongly worded Tweets.

I feel badly that the CM's have to pay dues money for this.

I was a dues paying member of the Teamsters in my youth, and it was a complete joke. The shop stewards spent way too much time flirting with the secretaries up in the office and using the dues money for their own Christmas parties and "retreats" that the members were never invited to, then talked big and bold around negotiation time about how they were fighting for us.

The most hilarious part is that once I retired, I now get $60 a month from some long-forgotten Teamsters pension I apparently signed up for and got vested in decades ago. The $60 just goes into my checking account, and once a month when I buy a decent bottle of Scotch I think "Thanks for nothing, Teamsters!" 🤣

MagicHappens1971

I would say most people here were in similar jobs in their youth. No not at Disney but yes I would say most of us held those entry level service jobs that worked with the public.
We just recognized they were not careers but our first or early jobs.
I’ve worked a customer service job outside of Disney and then at Disney. They are vastly different. I brought this up pages ago, but this post reeks of the “get a real job” mentality that service workers have faced for decades. Who would work at the theme parks? Only 18 year olds? Only 20 years olds? Etc Also outside of people on a CP I feel as though I’ve never really seen many cast members under 30

Rich Brownn

It is not always by necessity employees get government assistance. Years ago when I was a manager I had a staff member that I wanted to mentor to get into the leadership program. He had all the essentials of making a good leader. He was a full time entry level employee.. My staff member advised me he was honored and humbled that I would consider him. However he advised me he qualifies and lives in section 8 apts that were newly built. If he makes more income like salaried he and his family would no longer be eligible to live in his housing area and losing food stamp vouchers. This is an example of one that wants to keep on living on govt assistance. He remained at his current role.
Might surprise you to know the average person receiving government assistance is a divorced, white female with 1 to 2 kids. Nothing like people actually think

Lilofan

Yeah, so every single front line cast member is going to apply to do something else within the company? How does this solve the problem at hand?

I don’t mean this in a rude way but so many of the posters on here are looking at this situation with one eye closed and backwards thinking
Staffing yes is a concern but one who wants to do the same role but not happy with their pay ( which they agree to BTW ). Apply for positions avail that can earn the CM more. Easier said than done. This is an option for the cast member to earn more income, however when presented with the idea the goalposts are moved by presenting what if every single CM applied to do something else.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Might surprise you to know the average person receiving government assistance is a divorced, white female with 1 to 2 kids. Nothing like people actually think
I believe it . I would not be surprised if that person comes from the 3 states that rely heavily on govt assistance , WV, AL, and MS.

TP2000

That is the term. We didn’t make it up.

This concern about words and phrasing is fascinating to me. These are basic words that have solid meaning in American English of at least the last 100 years. And suddenly they are impolite? They aren't impolite, but they are honest and clear.

How else to describe a job that can be filled instantly by any 18 year old kid who wanders into the Casting center with at least half a brain on his shoulders, a pleasant demeanor, a basic 9th grade level grasp of English, and math skills that allow him to count back change from a 20?

Then they take that 18 year old kid and put him through two weeks of onboarding and training, and POOF!, he's a Cast Member.

That's an unskilled position. Even if you think the word "unskilled" is not flattering enough. Almost everyone has worked those kind of jobs before, in their teens or early 20's. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's great work/life experience that sets you up for future success!

And if one of your first jobs is at Disney World, you get the benefit of having some great stories and pictures to share in the future!

Lilofan

What's fascinating to watch is how the Union leadership plays this on social media and with their members. Pretending as if there's some sort of chance that TDO will suddenly up their offer by two bucks an hour, just because the Union sent out very strongly worded Tweets.

I feel badly that the CM's have to pay dues money for this.

I was a dues paying member of the Teamsters in my youth, and it was a complete joke. The shop stewards spent way too much time flirting with the secretaries up in the office and using the dues money for their own Christmas parties and "retreats" that the members were never invited to, then talked big and bold around negotiation time about how they were fighting for us.

The most hilarious part is that once I retired, I now get $60 a month from some long-forgotten Teamsters pension I apparently signed up for and got vested in decades ago. The $60 just goes into my checking account, and once a month when I buy a decent bottle of Scotch I think "Thanks for nothing, Teamsters!" 🤣
It is not mandatory for WDW CMs to be union members and pay weekly dues. Union and non union cast get the same raise and union representation if needed in the work place. The non union cast clearly earn more per year than their union peers.

Lilofan

This concern about words and phrasing is fascinating to me. These are basic words that have solid meaning in American English of at least the last 100 years. And suddenly they are impolite? They aren't impolite, but they are honest and clear.

How else to describe a job that can be filled instantly by any 18 year old kid who wanders into the Casting center with at least half a brain on his shoulders, a pleasant demeanor, a basic 9th grade level grasp of English, and math skills that allow him to count back change from a 20?

Then they take that 18 year old kid and put him through two weeks of onboarding and training, and POOF!, he's a Cast Member.

That's an unskilled position. Even if you think the word "unskilled" is not flattering enough. Almost everyone has worked those kind of jobs before, in their teens or early 20's. It's nothing to be ashamed of. It's great work/life experience that sets you up for future success!

And if one of your first jobs is at Disney World, you get the benefit of having some great stories and pictures to share in the future!
Unskilled or however the term , I was a waiter back in the day. Formal education was not required ( I had ) and no experience necessary ( I had none ). It is a lucrative job to earn more income working less hours than the boss you report to who works more hours and earns a flat salary and he/she earns less than you.

TP2000

And yet I could still eat, drive and buy a house on a Disney hourly CM salary in 1975.

What was your hourly wage in 1975?

I've tried to search, and I can only come up with anecdotal evidence that WDW started its entry-level CM's at the federal minimum wage of $2.10 an hour in the mid 70's.

A base 1975 Chevy Vega with no AC and a 3 speed manual transmission and only an AM radio had a stripped down sticker price of $2,899. And that was truly a miserable car. But it would cost you 34 weeks of salary to purchase that base Vega. Or, at $2.10 per hour and a Fed interest rate of 9% in 1975, with one week of wages used on a car payment each month it would take you four years to pay off the loan on the Vega.

0-847769.jpg

Full Disclosure: In the late 1970's I had a friend who drove a Chevy Vega. It was a total piece of crap, even new. A year or so after he bought it, it stranded us in a small town on the Oregon coast, the radiator blew up as I remember. The local auto parts store couldn't get the parts in from Portland for two days, so we sat around at a cheap motel in the rain cursing anyone who has ever worked for General Motors and anyone associated with Chevrolet (including Dinah Shore) until it could be fixed and get us back to the city. His next car was a Honda.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

What was your hourly wage in 1975?

I've tried to search, and I can only come up with anecdotal evidence that WDW started its entry-level CM's at the federal minimum wage of $2.10 an hour in the mid 70's.

A base 1975 Chevy Vega with no AC and a 3 speed manual transmission and only an AM radio had a stripped down sticker price of $2,899. And that was truly a miserable car. But it would cost you 34 weeks of salary to purchase that base Vega. Or, at $2.10 per hour and a Fed interest rate of 9% in 1975, with one week of wages used on a car payment each month it would take you four years to pay off the loan on the Vega.

0-847769.jpg

Full Disclosure: In the late 1970's I had a friend who drove a Chevy Vega. It was a total piece of crap, even new. A year or so after he bought it, it stranded us in a small town on the Oregon coast, the radiator blew up as I remember. The local auto parts store couldn't get the parts in from Portland for two days, so we sat around at a cheap motel in the rain cursing anyone who has ever worked for General Motors and anyone associated with Chevrolet (including Dinah Shore) until it could be fixed and get us back to the city. His next car was a Honda.
You don't buy new cars as a CM. $400 would get you transportation back then

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Unskilled in this context refers to jobs that anyone can do after a few weeks of training. Unskilled, not untrained.

And clearly there are other jobs at the mouse, including some entry-level ones, that are skilled jobs, or at a minimum require more than merely an application + interview to get hired for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom