News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

pdude81

Interesting read.

Misleading news article claims both incomes combined are low five figures. In Maint , husband makes close to $30 per hour and wife 20 year CM surely doesn’t make $15 per hour. Full time work doesn’t equal “ low five figures “.
Well if you're 31 with a teenage daughter, that means you likely had little chance to attend college or build a career other than somewhere like WDW. It's for sure tough out there, but this is someone with a 3 bedroom house and a 90 minute commute. If there were better paying options close to home I'm sure she'd be taking one of those.

However, let's say they each work 35 hours and average $20/hr between the two, not counting the daughter's income. 50 weeks would put the two of them at $70k, which I would argue is not in the "low" five figures. The other cast members who actually make in the low 5 figures are sharing apartments close to property.

JMcMahonEsq

Okay. There's no problem with sky-rocketing rents. It's just me. :)
Obviously the only problem is Disney wages and nothing else.

Oh you asked if they are vacant. I guess not. The ethnicities and blue collar workers that lived in the areas for decades are now all being forced out, but hey, that's capitalism!
From and economic standpoint and pricing, basically yes it's just you.

No one is entitled to a price that they feel comfortable with. Why in the world should a homeowner be forced to rent to you at $2000 per month, as opposed to someone else willing to pay $2,700 per month?

And it's not like it's a isolated case. There are enough renters willing to spend $2,700 a month to rent the places. We are not talking about an eccentric billionaire taking up an apartment, the renting public apparently finds the pricing to be just fine.

dreday3

From and economic standpoint and pricing, basically yes it's just you.

No one is entitled to a price that they feel comfortable with. Why in the world should a homeowner be forced to rent to you at $2000 per month, as opposed to someone else willing to pay $2,700 per month?

And it's not like it's a isolated case. There are enough renters willing to spend $2,700 a month to rent the places. We are not talking about an eccentric billionaire taking up an apartment, the renting public apparently finds the pricing to be just fine.

Sure dude, no problems at all. 😂

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm just gonna come right out and say it - what a snobby post, from someone who is, based on what you've said, financially comfortable and owns their home mortgage-free. This looking down your nose attitude at people who are struggling is gross.

DH and I are financially comfortable now (so much so, he'll be retiring at 55), but I will never forget what it felt like to not have any money, from growing up poor to struggling our first few years of marriage.
I’m also someone who shared an apartment most of my 20s, with one other person. We scraped by, by my late 20s I had my own apartment, I bought my house in my mid 30s, paid it off by 50.

This is a very common experience, paying it off early being the exception, and I don’t even have a college degree. I worked mostly tipped jobs and eventually moved into management, ironically at a pay loss initially.

Have we now gone from any full time job should be enough to survive to it should pay enough to save and not have to budget?

dreday3

I’m also someone who shared an apartment most of my 20s, with one other person. We scraped by, by my late 20s I had my own apartment, I bought my house in my mid 30s, paid it off by 50.

This is a very common experience, paying it off early being the exception, and I don’t even have a college degree. I worked mostly tipped jobs and eventually moved into management, ironically at a pay loss initially.

Have we now gone from any full time job should be enough to survive to it should pay enough to save and not have to budget?

I also barely scraped by in my 20s. My husband barely scraped by his entire childhood.
We are extremely and always grateful we overcame that with hard work, some luck and yes, privilege.

But all that allows me to be empathetic with those who are struggling now and I want to try and figure out what we can do to stop this crisis of increasing rents (coupled with ridiculously low wages), even though apparently it doesn't affect most on these boards.
Which I guess would be true since we can all afford to go to Disney.

For the record, we still live in a very working class neighborhood and I'm sad to say we are starting to see it happen here too.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Yes. I know that. The point is the problem goes beyond wages. There are many issues that need to be fixed in this country. The article even stated - landlords read Disney raises wages, know their current and future tenants work at Disney, so they then increase the rent.

💯 that's why the low wage position is a zero sum game. It will never pay enough to get someone out of poverty

eliza61nyc

Well if you're 31 with a teenage daughter, that means you likely had little chance to attend college or build a career other than somewhere like WDW. It's for sure tough out there, but this is someone with a 3 bedroom house and a 90 minute commute. If there were better paying options close to home I'm sure she'd be taking one of those.

However, let's say they each work 35 hours and average $20/hr between the two, not counting the daughter's income. 50 weeks would put the two of them at $70k, which I would argue is not in the "low" five figures. The other cast members who actually make in the low 5 figures are sharing apartments close to property.
but some times you don't get it "all". I had a 65 minute commute every day from Pa to Delaware. Did it suck, especially in the winter?? Heck yeah!! I did it because I knew what type of life I wanted for my family. Yes, especially now you can go to school as an adult. there is an entire industry on advance education specifically geared to the learner with a family and job.
A lot of times choices also dictate outcome.

Edited to add: my history is skewed. I lived in Manhattan and went to high school in queens. It took me hour each way to get back and forth. that was normal.

Polkadotdress

That’s a choice though, it doesn’t take 6 or 9 incomes to afford an apartment, it typically takes two. That was my point, the article implies pay is so bad 9 people have to share one apartment, that’s 100% false. They CHOOSE to but they don’t have to.
While 9 in an apartment seems extreme, you forget that many people can't afford the "down payment" it takes to enter into a leasing agreement, which is often the first and last month's rent paid up front.

Lilofan

Kudos to you. A doctor friend of mine finally paid off his student loans in his late 40s and is looking to buy his first home. He advised he cannot retire and will work into his 70s.

Vegas Disney Fan

Kudos to you. A doctor friend of mine finally paid off his student loans in his late 40s and is looking to buy his first home. He advised he cannot retire and will work into his 70s.
Which is insanely sad, it took me well into my 30s to pay off my student loans, and I only went a couple years and didn’t even get a degree.

Between insanely high housing prices, insanely high education prices, and insanely high health insurance prices it’s amazing we’re not all broke.

I made more than my college educated brother for a couple decades after he graduated, now it’s finally paying off though and he’s making bank. He also gets to work business hours from the comfort of his home while I’m still on my feet most of the day.

JMcMahonEsq

I also barely scraped by in my 20s. My husband barely scraped by his entire childhood.
We are extremely and always grateful we overcame that with hard work, some luck and yes, privilege.

But all that allows me to be empathetic with those who are struggling now and I want to try and figure out what we can do to stop this crisis of increasing rents (coupled with ridiculously low wages), even though apparently it doesn't affect most on these boards.
Which I guess would be true since we can all afford to go to Disney.

For the record, we still live in a very working class neighborhood and I'm sad to say we are starting to see it happen here too.
Wait, so there is both a crisis of increasing rents, AND ridiculously low wages, but somehow there is not a problem of a glut of housing going unused?

Are aliens playing the long game and sending an invasion force in, but considering they might not like how we have been wrecking the planet, they decided to rent, as opposed to fully committing and buying? That has to be the only explanation if somehow costs are increasing, but no humans are around that can afford to pay them.

Joking aside, landlords are finding tenants for all these buildings. Home purchases, while slowing due to increases costs/interest rates, have been good. So you are "sad" that people are able to afford to move into your neighborhood who have money to spend? Your upset that people who want to pay for a home in a certain neighborhood, either to move closer to work or to get out of a city are able to do so? Your disappointed that people are investing in neighborhoods, increasing the property values in the area, which will increase the costs of ownership/rent? And does it make you sad that apparently people's investments in these neighborhoods are looked on so favorably that people are flocking in to pay the increased costs b/c apparently they see value there?

dreday3

Wait, so there is both a crisis of increasing rents, AND ridiculously low wages, but somehow there is not a problem of a glut of housing going unused?

Are aliens playing the long game and sending an invasion force in, but considering they might not like how we have been wrecking the planet, they decided to rent, as opposed to fully committing and buying? That has to be the only explanation if somehow costs are increasing, but no humans are around that can afford to pay them.

Joking aside, landlords are finding tenants for all these buildings. Home purchases, while slowing due to increases costs/interest rates, have been good. So you are "sad" that people are able to afford to move into your neighborhood who have money to spend? Your upset that people who want to pay for a home in a certain neighborhood, either to move closer to work or to get out of a city are able to do so? Your disappointed that people are investing in neighborhoods, increasing the property values in the area, which will increase the costs of ownership/rent? And does it make you sad that apparently people's investments in these neighborhoods are looked on so favorably that people are flocking in to pay the increased costs b/c apparently they see value there?

:)

MBR

Actually, I completed census work in the counties surrounding most of Disney, and these properties are not occupied by residents. Especially around Disney, half to 2/3 of the neighborhoods are homes owned by foreign investors who snatch them out and rent out as Vacation places. Half the time, the houses are just plain empty. That is why rent and mortgage prices are sky high, but housing is considered in shortage.

Patcheslee

While 9 in an apartment seems extreme, you forget that many people can't afford the "down payment" it takes to enter into a leasing agreement, which is often the first and last month's rent paid up front.
Multiple adults in an apartment has caused many landlords around us to add monthly premiums for unmarried adults sharing. Base monthly then generally another $100-200/month for each adult after the first. Gave DH and myself issues finding a decent rental within budget prior to getting married.

Lilofan

Multiple adults in an apartment has caused many landlords around us to add monthly premiums for unmarried adults sharing. Base monthly then generally another $100-200/month for each adult after the first. Gave DH and myself issues finding a decent rental within budget prior to getting married.
My family member sold his car all cash to a young female. She asked him to come to her apt next to the shopping center where the car was advertised for sale. Upon entering the front door into the living room there was a least 4 mattresses on the floor not even counting how many were sleeping in the 2 bedrooms.

Chomama

Actually, I completed census work in the counties surrounding most of Disney, and these properties are not occupied by residents. Especially around Disney, half to 2/3 of the neighborhoods are homes owned by foreign investors who snatch them out and rent out as Vacation places. Half the time, the houses are just plain empty. That is why rent and mortgage prices are sky high, but housing is considered in shortage.
I have been waiting for someone the bring up Airbnb/ Vrbo/ etc. That and house flippers taking affordable housing off the market. Zillow etc. Paris is an example of a city that started regulating Vrbo type rentals due to housing shortages for residents. When you have thousands and thousands of mini hotels taking up space you lose housing. It’s not the only problem but it’s a problem.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the latest update from the STCU -

FmEFzBBX0Ak7Dk4.png

Smiley/OCD

I’m not a landlord, but one point no one has brought up is that for the duration of the pandemic (and then some), many large cities and even states prevented landlords from collecting rent from their tenants.

So a person owns a two or three family house, is paying a mortgage and can’t collect rent to make those payments. Where was their relief?

Ido feel sorry for our kids who will never be able to afford to buy a house like I did at 29 because they have 75k in college loans to pay off…twice that if it’s a couple. Yes, housing is in crisis now, but I don’t see ANY politician on either side willing to take on the colleges and their OUTRAGEOUS tuitions. That’s the number ONE reason we’re in the shape we’re in.
Let’s tackle THAT crisis.

Ayla

I’m not a landlord, but one point no one has brought up is that for the duration of the pandemic (and then some), many large cities and even states prevented landlords from collecting rent from their tenants.

So a person owns a two or three family house, is paying a mortgage and can’t collect rent to make those payments. Where was their relief?

Ido feel sorry for our kids who will never be able to afford to buy a house like I did at 29 because they have 75k in college loans to pay off…twice that if it’s a couple. Yes, housing is in crisis now, but I don’t see ANY politician on either side willing to take on the colleges and their OUTRAGEOUS tuitions. That’s the number ONE reason we’re in the shape we’re in.
Let’s tackle THAT crisis.
If they depend on rent to pay the mortgage, they can't afford a second home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom