News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

thomas998

I also barely scraped by in my 20s. My husband barely scraped by his entire childhood.
We are extremely and always grateful we overcame that with hard work, some luck and yes, privilege.

But all that allows me to be empathetic with those who are struggling now and I want to try and figure out what we can do to stop this crisis of increasing rents (coupled with ridiculously low wages), even though apparently it doesn't affect most on these boards.
Which I guess would be true since we can all afford to go to Disney.

For the record, we still live in a very working class neighborhood and I'm sad to say we are starting to see it happen here too.
A large part of the rents jumping up was caused by the governments putting hold evictions for failure to pay rent. The reality was most rental property wasn't owned outright by the landlords it was purchased on credit just like a family with a mortgage... but the banks didn't say don't worry about those payments during the pandemic, the best a landlord could hope for was having the lender just push back the payments. But then after the 2 years of built up rent that the tenants owed they just walked away leaving the landlord with an empty house and a lender starting to get antsy for payments. Even if the landlord was able to refinance the property to get it all smoothed out, the fact is the refinanced loan was going to include all the past interest that build up over those 2 years so naturally the rental price will go up to cover it. So you want to blame someone blame the government for their ridiculous covid response. Their is no quick fix for what was done to the economy, and the more the government tries to fix it the worse it will be long-term.

dreday3

A large part of the rents jumping up was caused by the governments putting hold evictions for failure to pay rent. The reality was most rental property wasn't owned outright by the landlords it was purchased on credit just like a family with a mortgage... but the banks didn't say don't worry about those payments during the pandemic, the best a landlord could hope for was having the lender just push back the payments. But then after the 2 years of built up rent that the tenants owed they just walked away leaving the landlord with an empty house and a lender starting to get antsy for payments. Even if the landlord was able to refinance the property to get it all smoothed out, the fact is the refinanced loan was going to include all the past interest that build up over those 2 years so naturally the rental price will go up to cover it. So you want to blame someone blame the government for their ridiculous covid response. Their is no quick fix for what was done to the economy, and the more the government tries to fix it the worse it will be long-term.

Gentrification started long before Covid. Let's not mince words. All the white collar employed come in and drive up rent so the working class that have lived there for decades has no choice but to move. They tear down apartments in the inner city to build their single family homes.

But wait, now those families have to move to the suburbs so they can afford to live. And now the people in the suburbs are mad.

The way some of you respond leads me to believe you've lived a nice, sheltered suburban life. Good for you!

And yes, somehow this all can circle back to low wages.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

No. Bull. What you are saying as phrased means that tenants were prevented from paying rent to landlords.

No one PREVENTED landlords from collecting rent. They prevented landlords from evicting and suing - not from collecting rent if rent could be paid.
No the landlords were prevented from collecting rent from their tenants. If the tenant wanted to pay, they could. Either way, it poses the question, how we’re landlords supposed to pay their mortgages without rent payments coming in? I have a friend that had 4 rental properties…lost 2 of them because of it. Banks didn’t grant wavers on mortgage payments.

lazyboy97o

Collecting rent means they couldn't ask for it. As in "hey, rent's due, let me know when you're paying"

They were never stopped from that. They just couldn't sue or evict. But they could ask as often as they want.
If I’m remembering correctly, it was also generally not forgiven. The rent was still owed, so if you didn’t pay for a couple of months you still had to figure out a way to pay it before eviction was back on the table.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
If I’m remembering correctly, it was also generally not forgiven. The rent was still owed, so if you didn’t pay for a couple of months you still had to figure out a way to pay it before eviction was back on the table.
The not forgiven is correct, you still owed it. But I don't know if there was a time limit, as courthouses across the US basically gave up on eviction lawsuits.

AshaNeOmah

So they're rejecting a nearly 7% raise.

Does anyone know how long this contract would stay in force? If it's 1-2 years, thats not a bad percentage. If it's longer, then maybe not agreeable.

Patcheslee

Does anyone know how long this contract would stay in force? If it's 1-2 years, thats not a bad percentage. If it's longer, then maybe not agreeable.
I think it's a 5 year contract? News reported previously Disney was willing to push starting pay to $20 over a 5 year period.
Here's the state minimum wage chart, so it's barely keeping pace.
Screenshot_20230110_091800_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

People need to stop referring to things like a "7% raise" when it's over multiple years.

It's misleading propaganda, plain and simple.

They're being offered a series of 1 point something % raises per year.

Inflation last year was in the 3% range. This year it's in the 5-6% range. This is a pay cut in real terms.

thomas998

People need to stop referring to things like a "7% raise" when it's over multiple years.

Inflation last year was in the 3% range. This year it's in the 5-6% range. This is a pay cut in real terms.
This isn't an agreement that requires the Disney workers to stay at Disney for the duration of the contract they can always go apply at Universal, Seaworld or any other place they think will pay them more.

AshaNeOmah

Isn't that exactly what I said? I specifically asked the contact length.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The union is set to vote on the contract February 2nd and 3rd.

"After months of negotiations, union leaders say Walt Disney World is proposing raises of $1 an hour for most workers. But thousands of workers are set to reject Disney's contract offer on Friday.

The Service Trades Council Union (STCU) members at Disney consist of over 40,000 employees and these workers are simply saying the offer is not enough.

Every one of the six unions representing STCU have reviewed the company's offer and have recommended that the offer be rejected.

They say a $1 an hour yearly raise is not enough to pay for the cost of living in Central Florida. And that's why they say they're recommending a ‘no’ to Disney's offer."

"Union officials say they're still sharing proposals at the bargaining table."

Here is the latest statement from Disney -

"In the meantime, WESH 2 News heard from Disney Thursday.

They said in a statement: “This very strong offer provides our Cast Members with a nearly 10 percent average increase immediately and guaranteed raises for the next four years...with every single non-tipped Cast Member promised at least a $20 starting wage during the contract, and the majority seeing a 33% to 46% increase during that time."

They say their offer will have everyone making $20 an hour by the end of the contract."

dovetail65

This is part brag, but part reality of where a kid or starting pesron can go money wise if they dont work at Disney and possibly get a bit of help living with their family to start.

Disney need start everyone at 18 today and maybe 20 by next year just to match whats going on everywhere else. 1 dollar per hour for most employees its a joke. Here is my real life story.

Kids today get so much money to start, even with inflation included, but Disney is not paying enough for what these people do. 1.00 an hour, 20 an hour 4 years from now? It's a joke , so when a CM is not the happiest person in that 95 degree heat, lets look at where they are coming from.

Both my kids were offered jobs at Disney, one as an intern, it was one job where they did NOT have to live in housing.. I was so excited.

I said okay you can live at the FL house she said dad I am turning down the Disney internship(I think this one is in Ca anyhow- so I think live with your brother then, so what). Anyhow she says maybe after my masters I'll go back to WDW and apply(again this job was not the DCP). It was an internship of some type, accounting I believe. Anyhow, I was let down. SO I ask her what the heck is wrong with you, take that job!

She pulls out paper work that was an internship offer from a Company called PWC, I thought what is that? Then I thought holy Crap that's Price Waterhouse! Look at the what they just offered me, I am going to sign this. offer. The offer was 32.60 an hour 6 month guaranteed paid internship, but Disney wants to give me less than 16 an hour, why would I do that? I Can't I argue with the kid and she can live at my home during that PWC internship, FREE! This PWC internship appears to be out of Chicago.

So my son gets accepted for DCP at WDW again says nope ! Dad I am staying at Walmart right here in IL. WDW wants me(requires me for DCP) to live in their housing even though our home in FL is walking distance from their new housing through the back forest, but they won't allow me to Live in our FL house. I need live there at their housing and it was like 240.00 I think he said for the better place. My numbers may be a bit off, CM here would know more.

I think he said anyhow they offered him 15.60, I cant remember exactly. Again CM here may know more. I thought that sounded good.. He said after that living expense I would hardly have anything left. I thought yes, but the experience. You can meet people have fun, he said dad it is about the money. I want to buy a house. These two kids are twins by the way. He has worked at night shift at Walmart for 7 months(started at 18.20 an hour, now I think make Just under 20 an hour because he got past a certain point in time with them). He has also worked 3 hours a day at the school for the last year of his sophomore year of college. He only wanted to do 2 year college, that's is his choice.

I say how much could you really save anyhow son, does it have to be about the money. He says living with you and saving with no car like all my friends have, I saved A LOT. Mind you the kid has worked 7 months full time in his entire LIFE other than at the school library job making min wage a few hours a day for that year. He pulls out his bank account on his phone and the balance was 18,600.00! He is 20 years old. I check his credit score on a whim, the kid has 4 credit cards already with 2% balance carried over all his credit cards, he has a 746 FICO 8 score! Hell I was 40 years old until I had that! Can a starting DCP WDW employee do that, no way in heck!

Well his twin sister pulls out her two accounts. I am thinking she is a spender(she has worked for 2.5 years though, not 7 months )I am thinking no way she can have much money saved. She says got you beat bro, one checking and one saving total balance 22,300.00! She goes to school full time At Northern IlL Univ drives 70 minutes each way in a 2006 Grand Caravan 3 days a week (she doesn't need show off) and live with us to save on housing. I have paid ZERO for her schooling, she pays it all. Last week she visited us here in FL I ask her what she is doing on her computer, she was in the middle of filling out 64 scholarships, I thought 64, she was nuts! I have 6 kids she is the only one that put in the effort so we parents so far have not had to pay anything for her schooling. Anyhow, she Works at Menards full time and an accounting firm part time and I can't remember that 3rd job she just quit that. She just gave notice to Menards to focus on school more and go full time at the accounting firm. This local accounting firm pays her school bill her scholarships might not cover dollar for dollar up to 6 grand. They also match her 401k, again these kids are 20. Disney? Now sure what they offer like this.

SO tell me is Disney going to match what these kids are getting paid right out of high school or even college today? WDW has to start paying at least 18.00 starting, like today maybe even more, 20.00 a hour. WDW making 6 billion to 23 billion a year is great, but it might be fine making a few billion less paying people more so every CM is happy instead of 30% of them now having a look on their face like they are about to drop dead, especially in the summer.

I do think starting jobs are just that, starting jobs and schooling, work ethic and how well a person performs at work matters most, but the larger companies like WDW where one guy gets 10 million dollar golden parachutes and the like just have to start the BEGINNING wages higher and have better insurance for these starting worker. After that then it should be on on each employee to move up or not.

My first job 3.35 an hour, I remember getting up to 4.25, I still had to have two roommate even back then, so I am not advocating everyone off the street get paid enough to buy a new car and home right off, we need work to that, but WDW does seem to underpay adn under appreciate a good portion of their workforce.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom