News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

eliza61nyc

Like the college educated RN from South America, brand new to our great country accepting a job in housekeeping because with her little to no English that’s all she can get as in terms of employment currently.
But is probably enrolled in a ESL class after work so in 5 years she'll be back in a high paying nurses gig and more valuable because she's bilingual

Lilofan

But is probably enrolled in a ESL class after work so in 5 years she'll be back in a high paying nurses gig and more valuable because she's bilingual
That’s one thing I’ve noticed is an extreme lacking of Latino RNs in hospitals I’ve visited in our country. A number of Filipinos ( who some are recruited from their homeland ) and mostly white American RNs though.

eliza61nyc

What fantasy? Disney is not short staffed any more? All venues are now open? Disney squeezing people in one day doesn’t say anything about staffing or how much revenue they didn’t generate because capacity was not at its maximum.

Where have I said anything about pay being based on a living wage? I have rather consistently focused on Disney attracting and retaining employees. Why does

Walt Disney World and the greater Orlando tourism market are dependent on tens of thousands of employees worked full time, and even a lot of overtime. It is not sustainable as just a transitory job. If everyone did as you suggest then there just is no Walt Disney World. So many service industry places are short staffed because people did go elsewhere and they don’t want to come back.

Okay, well then negotiations should be easy. Union convinces Disney that they would fill positions and retain good employees with a much higher salary.

lentesta

Premium Member
Like the college educated RN from South America, brand new to our great country accepting a job in housekeeping because with her little to no English that’s all she can get as in terms of employment currently.
I was thinking “flexible work schedule”, but yours is a good example too.

Lilofan

Interesting read.

Misleading news article claims both incomes combined are low five figures. In Maint , husband makes close to $30 per hour and wife 20 year CM surely doesn’t make $15 per hour. Full time work doesn’t equal “ low five figures “.

Last edited:

dreday3

Interesting read.

Honestly, this makes me more angry about what's happening with rent across the country. It's ridiculous how much rent shoots up around here, especially when a neighborhood is declared "trendy".
When we moved out of our smallish one bedroom a few years ago, the landlord raised the rent over $700!!! Because the neighborhood was becoming popular.

When landlords are raising rent just because they can make more money, not due to property taxes - which even then, they use that as an excuse to raise rents by exorbitant amounts - there needs to be some kind of legislation introduced to curb this. But I know that causes other issues and is probably impossible. I just read an article that renters in some neighborhoods are trying to form unions to help combat the ridiculous increases! Trying to bring back rent control.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can tell you that increasing rent is not just a problem for low-wage workers. It's out of control.

Lilofan

Honestly, this makes me more angry about what's happening with rent across the country. It's ridiculous how much rent shoots up around here, especially when a neighborhood is declared "trendy".
When we moved out of our smallish one bedroom a few years ago, the landlord raised the rent over $700!!! Because the neighborhood was becoming popular.

When landlords are raising rent just because they can make more money, not due to property taxes - which even then, they use that as an excuse to raise rents by exorbitant amounts - there needs to be some kind of legislation introduced to curb this. But I know that causes other issues and is probably impossible.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can tell you that increasing rent is not just a problem for low-wage workers. It's out of control.
Legislation to curb rising rents? That’s up to the local govt to enact .

dreday3

Legislation to curb rising rents? That’s up to the local govt to enact .

Yes. I know that. The point is the problem goes beyond wages. There are many issues that need to be fixed in this country. The article even stated - landlords read Disney raises wages, know their current and future tenants work at Disney, so they then increase the rent.

Lilofan

Yes. I know that. The point is the problem goes beyond wages. There are many issues that need to be fixed in this country. The article even stated - landlords read Disney raises wages, know their current and future tenants work at Disney, so they then increase the rent.
Yes that’s called capitalism

JMcMahonEsq

Oh okay then, problem solved!
Your assuming there is a problem at all.

Are all those rental properties sitting vacant? From the building we are renting out in the NY/NJ area we are not having any difficulties finding renters, even given increases in rental costs.

Just because YOU personally think the rent is too high, doesn't mean that the market bears that out. Unless we are talking about low income/rent controlled properties, why in the world should there be legislation that states a landlord has to limit his rental fee to X for you, even when there are other people who think that X+ is acceptable rent?

dreday3

Your assuming there is a problem at all.

Are all those rental properties sitting vacant? From the building we are renting out in the NY/NJ area we are not having any difficulties finding renters, even given increases in rental costs.

Just because YOU personally think the rent is too high, doesn't mean that the market bears that out. Unless we are talking about low income/rent controlled properties, why in the world should there be legislation that states a landlord has to limit his rental fee to X for you, even when there are other people who think that X+ is acceptable rent?

Okay. There's no problem with sky-rocketing rents. It's just me. :)
Obviously the only problem is Disney wages and nothing else.

Oh you asked if they are vacant. I guess not. The ethnicities and blue collar workers that lived in the areas for decades are now all being forced out, but hey, that's capitalism!

Last edited:

Lilofan

Okay. There's no problem with sky-rocketing rents. It's just me. :)
Obviously the only problem is Disney wages and nothing else.
That’s up to the union representing the cast to fight for higher wages. As always it’s a compromise and contract is approved after a few rounds and business continues.

Vegas Disney Fan

Misleading news article claims both incomes combined are low five figures. In Maint , husband makes close to $30 per hour and wife 20 year CM surely doesn’t make $15 per hour. Full time work doesn’t equal “ low five figures “.
I also liked the 9 people living in one apartment angle, at $15 an hour those 9 people would be grossing over $20,000 a month, that’s not necessary to afford a 2 bedroom apartment. Even if they were all working 10 hours a week they’d be pulling in $5500, rents are high but not that high, 2 full time employees making $15 an hour should be able to afford a 2 bedroom at $2000 rent, it’s hard to take an article seriously that’s so dramatic.

dreday3

I also liked the 9 people living in one apartment angle, at $15 an hour those 9 people would be grossing over $20,000 a month, that’s not necessary to afford a 2 bedroom apartment. Even if they were all working 10 hours a week they’d be pulling in $5500, rents are high but not that high, 2 full time employees making $15 an hour should be able to afford a 2 bedroom at $2000 rent, it’s hard to take an article seriously that’s so dramatic.

$15 an hour x 40hrs a week x 4 weeks is $2400 a month. Before taxes. Say they are taxed at 22% (may be high, not sure)- that's about $528.
So say they both clear 1900 a month. They both put $1000 towards rent and have $900 for all other of their own bills, utilities, food, gas, emergencies whatever. Forget saving anything.

Could they do it? Sure I guess.

I've seen some of the two bedrooms around here that they are trying to get $2100 for. Last year these same apartments were going for $1200. Nothing has changed about the apartment, just the neighborhood has been declared the place to be. Sorry everyone, time for you to go!

And I get it, if you then raise wages, then rents/etc will go up again. It's a vicious cycle, but to put all the blame on companies just not paying enough isn't the answer either. Just because you can afford to pay the rent, doesn't mean rising rent costs isn't a real issue affecting a lot of people.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

$15 an hour x 40hrs a week x 4 weeks is $2400 a month. Before taxes. Say they are taxed at 22% (may be high, not sure)- that's about $528.
So say they both clear 1900 a month. They both put $1000 towards rent and have $900 for all other of their own bills, utilities, food, gas, emergencies whatever. Forget saving anything.

Could they do it? Sure I guess.

I've seen some of the two bedrooms around here that they are trying to get $2100 for. Last year these same apartments were going for $1200. Nothing has changed about the apartment, just the neighborhood has been declared the place to be. Sorry everyone, time for you to go!
This was me when I worked at Disneyland. I don’t remember how much I was making per hour at the time, but it certainly wasn’t $15/hr (this was over a decade ago). I shared an apartment, split the rent, and struggled badly. There were plenty of times when I had to rely on my mom to buy groceries and take care of myself. I had no money to save.

Two $15/hr folks sharing a $2,000 apartment? They’re scraping by and living paycheck-to-paycheck. That’s not what I call affordable.

Ayla

DH and I are financially comfortable now (so much so, he'll be retiring at 55), but I will never forget what it felt like to not have any money, from growing up poor to struggling our first few years of marriage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom