News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Ayla

I’m not a landlord, but one point no one has brought up is that for the duration of the pandemic (and then some), many large cities and even states prevented landlords from collecting rent from their tenants.

So a person owns a two or three family house, is paying a mortgage and can’t collect rent to make those payments. Where was their relief?

Ido feel sorry for our kids who will never be able to afford to buy a house like I did at 29 because they have 75k in college loans to pay off…twice that if it’s a couple. Yes, housing is in crisis now, but I don’t see ANY politician on either side willing to take on the colleges and their OUTRAGEOUS tuitions. That’s the number ONE reason we’re in the shape we’re in.
Let’s tackle THAT crisis.
As far as the college debt crisis, there is one party in gov wanting to help but that help is being held up in a myriad of ways from the other side.

dreday3

Actually, I completed census work in the counties surrounding most of Disney, and these properties are not occupied by residents. Especially around Disney, half to 2/3 of the neighborhoods are homes owned by foreign investors who snatch them out and rent out as Vacation places. Half the time, the houses are just plain empty. That is why rent and mortgage prices are sky high, but housing is considered in shortage.

I wasn't agreeing with his post.

lazyboy97o

Ido feel sorry for our kids who will never be able to afford to buy a house like I did at 29 because they have 75k in college loans to pay off…twice that if it’s a couple. Yes, housing is in crisis now, but I don’t see ANY politician on either side willing to take on the colleges and their OUTRAGEOUS tuitions. That’s the number ONE reason we’re in the shape we’re in.
While an issue, the cost of college is not what’s making housing unaffordable. Even someone who had a full ride and graduated with $0 in debt is going to find it harder to buy a house today than you did due to how much costs have risen beyond typical wages and inflation.

Smiley/OCD

No, that’s not the answer…that is NOT solving the yearly double digit increases in tuition and college’s BILLIONS in endowment $$$

Now how about a person who owns a business…electrician, carpenter, etc. They own their own business and need to buy new tools or a new truck…They chose to go to trade school and because of that, have no student debt. Where’s THEIR relief? Their taxes are going to pay for all the loan forgiveness. Not fair.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

While an issue, the cost of college is not what’s making housing unaffordable. Even someone who had a full ride and graduated with $0 in debt is going to find it harder to buy a house today than you did due to how much costs have risen beyond typical wages and inflation.
We will agree to disagree on that.

Lilofan

Some go on free ride 4 years ROTC graduate as an officer, then live on base or off base while getting housing allowance. Play your cards right and save, invest as much as you can to buy a house. Don't have to worry about rising costs of health insurance , its provided.

peter11435

We've owned a second vacation home on a lake, purely for our own use. We could afford a second mortgage and did not need renters to pay the mortgage. If you do, you can't afford it.
That’s great. But it’s not the same thing at all.

Smiley/OCD

No, that’s not what I disagree with…what I disagree with is your argument that the price of college tuition is not a factor. I happen to think it is.

lazyboy97o

No, that’s not what I disagree with…what I disagree with is your argument that the price of college tuition is not a factor. I happen to think it is.
Student loan debt makes a bad situation worse. It’s not the underlying issue across the board.

Although the way loan amounts are determined absolutely does encourage drastic increases in rents around many universities.

Lilofan

One that graduates from a private 4 year college ( on scholarship or aid ) doesn't have to pay $200K or more in student loans . ( example - go live with mommy and daddy rent free after graduation for several years , earning $60K annually salary , save and invest ) still do not have enough to put down a down payment and buy a home? BTW, I lived at home for several years still living like a poor college student before buying my first home back in the day.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

One that graduates from a private 4 year college debt free doesn't have to pay $200K or more in student loans . ( example - go live with mommy and daddy rent free after graduation for several years , earning $60K annually salary , save and invest ) still do not have enough to put down a down payment and buy a home?
All of your little anecdotes, lessons and factoids are completely irrelevant. Nobody here is trying to figure out how to cut some costs and is completely unfamiliar with a bunch of well known basics. You’re not actually engaging with the subject at its true extents and scale.

Most students aren’t attending private schools, they’re attending state schools that have also seen the cost of tuition rise. The “solutions” you push are all about individuals, they’re not scalable. People saving more money does absolutely nothing to address the physical lack of housing available that drives costs up or the reasons people work against more housing being built.

Lilofan

All of your little anecdotes, lessons and factoids are completely irrelevant. Nobody here is trying to figure out how to cut some costs and is completely unfamiliar with a bunch of well known basics. You’re not actually engaging with the subject at its true extents and scale.

Most students aren’t attending private schools, they’re attending state schools that have also seen the cost of tuition rise. The “solutions” you push are all about individuals, they’re not scalable. People saving more money does absolutely nothing to address the physical lack of housing available that drives costs up or the reasons people work against more housing being built.
You are just generalizing can't do this can't do that, yadda etc, . I'm merely pointing out examples that one can save and eventually buy a house. It comes with risks and sacrifices that some apparently do not agree with. The reasons of more housing ( aka affordable housing ) being built, I'm for those who need it , just not in my neighborhood which our homeowners group fought and the apts did not get built.

lazyboy97o

You are just generalizing can't do this can't do that, yadda etc, . I'm merely pointing out examples that one can save and eventually buy a house. It comes with risks and sacrifices that some apparently do not agree with. The reasons of more housing ( aka affordable housing ) being built, I'm for those who need it , just not in my neighborhood which our homeowners group fought and the apts did not get built.
Yes, I am generalizing because we’re talking about a large scale, not giving advice to an individual.

I said nothing about building affordable housing, but good job demonstrating how you’re not really engaging.

thomas998

I’m not a landlord, but one point no one has brought up is that for the duration of the pandemic (and then some), many large cities and even states prevented landlords from collecting rent from their tenants.

So a person owns a two or three family house, is paying a mortgage and can’t collect rent to make those payments. Where was their relief?

The funny part is that all the government has to do is walk away from the student loan business and rewrite the bankruptcy laws so student debt is treated like any other debt.

You would quickly see loans moved to the private sector where they would still happen, but only when the lender thought what the student was studying was likely to result in their getting a job that could allow the debt to be repaid. The biggest change would be from universities that would see a big drop off in pointless degrees that have little likelihood of getting the graduate a job outside of a Starbucks. And of course you would see lots of unemployed Women's Studies, English Lit and other pointless professors forced to get a real job. I can't help but laugh whenever I go to the graduation ceremony of relative's college grads and see the grads with majors everyone knows are absolutely worthless.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
No. Bull. What you are saying as phrased means that tenants were prevented from paying rent to landlords.

No one PREVENTED landlords from collecting rent. They prevented landlords from evicting and suing - not from collecting rent if rent could be paid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom