News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

dreday3

Here is Disney's statement on the ongoing contract negotiations -

“We have presented a strong and meaningful offer that far outpaces Florida minimum wage by at least $5 an hour and immediately takes starting wages for certain roles including bus drivers, housekeepers and culinary up to a minimum of $20 an hour while providing a path to $20 for all other full-time, non-tipped STCU roles during the contract term,” spokeswoman Andrea Finger said in a statement Wednesday

Katie Rice with the Orlando Sentinel added -

"Under this proposal, Disney said 25% of non-tipped employees would earn $20 an hour within the contract’s first year. The company has also proposed other benefits during recent bargaining, like eight weeks of paid child-bonding time for full-time employees with at least a year of service and an additional 401K option."

Wow!!! $20 an hour? That has to be some of the highest pay in the country for housekeeping, right? Or am I misunderstanding -is this a good offer?

Patcheslee

“We have presented a strong and meaningful offer that far outpaces Florida minimum wage by at least $5 an hour and immediately takes starting wages for certain roles including bus drivers, housekeepers and culinary up to a minimum of $20 an hour while providing a path to $20 for all other full-time, non-tipped STCU roles during the contract term,” spokeswoman Andrea Finger said in a statement Wednesday

"Under this proposal, Disney said 25% of non-tipped employees would earn $20 an hour within the contract’s first year. The company has also proposed other benefits during recent bargaining, like eight weeks of paid child-bonding time for full-time employees with at least a year of service and an additional 401K option."

Bus drivers minimum is $18 right now, max $22.96. Housekeeping min $14.75 max $19.72.
Wonder if they have increased the maximum wages to keep up though. Hitting a maximum within 2 years of a 5 year contract just puts people behind again.

Patcheslee

Wow!!! $20 an hour? That has to be some of the highest pay in the country for housekeeping, right? Or am I misunderstanding -is this a good offer?
I'd put it at, need to read the entire proposal, but I'm use to seeing contracts that mean cuts somewhere else namely wages for senior/max wage employees being barely risen.

Kamikaze

I mean, its good, but its not the highest.

If they want to get people back and to operate 100% of rooms, this is probably what they have to do.

To be clear: As a starting wage, its probably one of the highest anywhere. But upscale hotel chains can get much higher than $20/hr.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Hmm... someone said "why stop at $15/hour for a minimum wage, why not do $20? Then they'll demand $25, then $30... It will never be enough because the definition of "fair" is never set, it's nebulous and subject to the whims of whomever is using it.". Oh wait. That was me. Inflation starts at the bottom.

TrainsOfDisney

Hmm... someone said "why stop at $15/hour for a minimum wage, why not do $20? Then they'll demand $25, then $30... It will never be enough because the definition of "fair" is never set, it's nebulous and subject to the whims of whomever is using it.". Oh wait. That was me. Inflation starts at the bottom.
Well….. they keep raising park ticket prices as well and people say “that’s just good business” so its smart for employees to insist on more money as well!

Patcheslee

Also, bear in mind these employees need to live in ORLANDO. The cost-of-living is nuts.
Yep, just out of boredom compared what I would need to make moving from small town Indiana vs Orlando to live the same as now (mortgage is only $400/month), I'd need to make close to twice as much yearly. I'd never manage that.

Casper Gutman

Seems like a smart union rep might realize there’s a certain PR-hungry politician with a national profile who would normally oppose unions but who really wants to bloody the Mouse’s nose and needs some crossover “for the working man” credibility.

Dan Deesnee

Cast member morale during our October trip was AWFUL.

I saw a cast member yell at a guest because she was taking you much time looking through her stroller in one of the firework keep-clear walkways. I saw one of the cast members working at the skyliner transition station arguing with a guest because she couldn't figure out how to get back to her hotel. Instead of being helpful he yelled at her asking what he wanted her to do. I saw cast members rolling their eyes and openly frustrated with guests getting in their path while they tried to empty trashcans, restock shelves, etc. Our Cinderella Table waiter was a joke, rude, dismissive, generally ignored us and rarely said a word the entire time.

I get these aren't glamorous jobs but your working at one of the most expensive family vacation destinations on Earth. The expectations are high, and definitely weren't being met at all on my last trip.

Hopefully these changes help.

crawale

Cast member morale during our October trip was AWFUL.

I saw a cast member yell at a guest because she was taking you much time looking through her stroller in one of the firework keep-clear walkways. I saw one of the cast members working at the skyliner transition station arguing with a guest because she couldn't figure out how to get back to her hotel. Instead of being helpful he yelled at her asking what he wanted her to do. I saw cast members rolling their eyes and openly frustrated with guests getting in their path while they tried to empty trashcans, restock shelves, etc. Our Cinderella Table waiter was a joke, rude, dismissive, generally ignored us and rarely said a word the entire time.

I get these aren't glamorous jobs but your working at one of the most expensive family vacation destinations on Earth. The expectations are high, and definitely weren't being met at all on my last trip.

Hopefully these changes help.
Low morale? Sounds like these rude employees need to find another place to work. They are working at Disney because they do not have the skills for better jobs. Under Chapek they were catered to although they do not provide the revenue like the guests do. If you can't handle a service job, can't be pleasant or polite then quit.

Dan Deesnee

I was there in November and had wonderful Cast interaction, surprisingly good actually. It seemed that CM morale was better than ever.

Guess you got lucky. We were with 2 other families, every group has issues with CM's.

There are always standouts though and we had some great interactions as well. But compared to previous trips? Nowhere near as good.

I talked with a manager at Riviera about it. He just nodded and said the problem is Disney is hiring anyone they can get because they are short staffed, and don't have the proper time to train them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom