News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Disone

Here is Disney's statement on the ongoing contract negotiations -

“We have presented a strong and meaningful offer that far outpaces Florida minimum wage by at least $5 an hour and immediately takes starting wages for certain roles including bus drivers, housekeepers and culinary up to a minimum of $20 an hour while providing a path to $20 for all other full-time, non-tipped STCU roles during the contract term,” spokeswoman Andrea Finger said in a statement Wednesday

Katie Rice with the Orlando Sentinel added -

"Under this proposal, Disney said 25% of non-tipped employees would earn $20 an hour within the contract’s first year. The company has also proposed other benefits during recent bargaining, like eight weeks of paid child-bonding time for full-time employees with at least a year of service and an additional 401K option."

The offer was rejected and they are back at the negotiating table.
Wow!!! $20 an hour? That has to be some of the highest pay in the country for housekeeping, right? Or am I misunderstanding -is this a good offer?
The union wants more.
Bus drivers minimum is $18 right now, max $22.96. Housekeeping min $14.75 max $19.72.
Wonder if they have increased the maximum wages to keep up though. Hitting a maximum within 2 years of a 5 year contract just puts people behind again.
Actually housekeeping currently starts at $17 an hour and has for at least a year.

Lilofan

Wow!!! $20 an hour? That has to be some of the highest pay in the country for housekeeping, right? Or am I misunderstanding -is this a good offer?
Considering that the Planet Fitness where I worked out in Orlando when visiting where the associates are getting paid $10 pet hour and free gym membership , $20 per hour is double.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

The offer was rejected and they are back at the negotiating table.

The union wants more.

Actually housekeeping currently starts at $17 an hour and has for at least a year.
Oof, the $20/hour sounds less appealing than before. I was only able to see the contract posted on union website.

jlhwdw

As a cm I can say my service has remained at a consistent above average level for the last decade while the attitude of guests has plummeted.
This. This. And this. For so long Disney rewarded bad guest behavior while overworking and underpaying their front line staff. Now they can't figure out why turnover is so high, nor can they understand why guests act the way they do when now sometimes the answer actually is no.

There's a reason why Universal employees generally have much better things to say about their employer despite similar conditions and pay.

ohioguy

Seems like a smart union rep might realize there’s a certain PR-hungry politician with a national profile who would normally oppose unions but who really wants to bloody the Mouse’s nose and needs some crossover “for the working man” credibility.
Ta-da! Union reps playing it smart.

Ayla

Here is Disney's statement on the ongoing contract negotiations -

“We have presented a strong and meaningful offer that far outpaces Florida minimum wage by at least $5 an hour and immediately takes starting wages for certain roles including bus drivers, housekeepers and culinary up to a minimum of $20 an hour while providing a path to $20 for all other full-time, non-tipped STCU roles during the contract term,” spokeswoman Andrea Finger said in a statement Wednesday

Katie Rice with the Orlando Sentinel added -

"Under this proposal, Disney said 25% of non-tipped employees would earn $20 an hour within the contract’s first year. The company has also proposed other benefits during recent bargaining, like eight weeks of paid child-bonding time for full-time employees with at least a year of service and an additional 401K option."

How many full-time employees do they actually have?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Maybe if Disney didn’t have to use money from the parks to help pay for other failing things they own they could pay park employees more

Tony the Tigger

Cast member morale during our October trip was AWFUL.

I saw a cast member yell at a guest because she was taking you much time looking through her stroller in one of the firework keep-clear walkways. I saw one of the cast members working at the skyliner transition station arguing with a guest because she couldn't figure out how to get back to her hotel. Instead of being helpful he yelled at her asking what he wanted her to do. I saw cast members rolling their eyes and openly frustrated with guests getting in their path while they tried to empty trashcans, restock shelves, etc. Our Cinderella Table waiter was a joke, rude, dismissive, generally ignored us and rarely said a word the entire time.

I get these aren't glamorous jobs but your working at one of the most expensive family vacation destinations on Earth. The expectations are high, and definitely weren't being met at all on my last trip.

Hopefully these changes help.
A pay increase doesn’t make people less rude.

Wonderful CMs have offered great service for less money.

We don’t teach a work ethic anymore. We teach entitlement.

Casper Gutman

No, that would be the normal, expected increases. I’m saying hold onto your hats, because all those millions in increases will be billed to us. That’s how it works.
We’ve been paying exponentially skyrocketing prices for years. Look at a chart of ticket price increases. Nothing about that is normal, and none of it is tied to spending increases. To blame increased wages now is disingenuous. It’s an excuse that assumes ignorance of a multi-decade pattern.

Turtlekrawl

This is everywhere. And why not? At 3.7% unemployment it’s likely never been easier to find a job. Will be interesting to see how work ethic changes when unemployment is double.

celluloid

Also pride in the brand is diminishing. Which goes to your point I just wanted to echo that is part of the issue too. Disney's die hards are not the same level that it was the last couple decades.

Tony the Tigger

We’ve been paying exponentially skyrocketing prices for years. Look at a chart of ticket price increases. Nothing about that is normal, and none of it is tied to spending increases. To blame increased wages now is disingenuous. It’s an excuse that assumes ignorance of a multi-decade pattern.
You’re not getting it. Have a nice day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom