News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

RobWDW1971

I’m not part of a “brethren” but I don’t usually hear an argument like this.
Excellent! Didn’t mean to imply anything negative by it, but this is great news that we have established what a “living wage” actually is in Orlando to work at WDW (per your number) - $17/hour regardless of the individual’s living situation, dependents, or needs.

Under that logic, Disney could bring those below $17 up and help pay for it by freezing anybody above $17/hour as they are already, by your definition, being paid a living wage.

Now that we have an actual number, it is at least something people can discuss.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Excellent! Didn’t mean to imply anything negative by it, but this is great news that we have established what a “living wage” actually is in Orlando to work at WDW (per your number) - $17/hour regardless of the individual’s living situation, dependents, or needs.

Under that logic, Disney could bring those below $17 up and help pay for it by freezing anybody above $17/hour as they are already, by your definition, being paid a living wage.

$17/hr is a hair less than $500/week take home.

Good luck surviving off of that in Orlando without at least a roommate in a shared one bedroom. Great moment to get romantically involved with someone to split rent with.

TrainsOfDisney

No, I never said people shouldn’t be paid more than the minnimum amount of a living wage. That should be the base, starting pay for full time employment. Enough to live on.

lazyboy97o

We really need an actual cast member to fact check, but we like to use as an example, "popcorn vendor" but I am guessing CMs are cross trained for many jobs and need to show up at different locations as needed.

I seem to remember, cast members getting receipt size printouts that tell them where to go throughout the day?
There are different divisions within the overall park operations. Nobody is going from being assigned to work a popcorn cart one day and an attraction the next day. If you work in outdoor vending (ODV) then you might switch between different carts and kiosks, but that’s about it.

There is a computer system that rotates staff and those are the papers you see, but they’re within whatever is considered a work location. They’ll tell someone working The Jungle Cruise it’s time for a break or to work the greeter position, but it’ll never tell them to go sell Dole Whips.

LittleBuford

The anti-beard sentiment truly puzzles me. The older CM whose photograph was shared several pages back looks like Father Christmas, who is just one of many bearded individuals that are highly regarded in popular culture (not to mention in religion). Why, then, are beards considered inappropriate for Disney CMs?

TrainsOfDisney

We really need an actual cast member to fact check, but we like to use as an example, "popcorn vendor" but I am guessing CMs are cross trained for many jobs and need to show up at different locations as needed.
“Popcorn vendors” work in “ODV” - outdoor vending. These actually are typically younger compared to those working in ticketing, retail, etc.

Drdcm

The anti-beard sentiment truly puzzles me. The older CM whose photograph was shared several pages back looks like Father Christmas, who is just one of many bearded individuals that are highly regarded in popular culture (not to mention in religion). Why, then, are beards considered inappropriate for Disney CMs?
Your posts make me smile. You just seem so pure and not jaded. Keep being you! Honestly not being sarcastic or condescending at all.

Trauma

The patience to politely and kindly deal with thousands of entitled tourists, every last one thinking they're more important than the rest, without killing them?
Well that’s not a very difficult skill. Also an important skill to learn.

ToTBellHop

I think, for some, it just goes against the boyish good looks Walt Disney wanted from male CMs. Some struggle to let-go of the illusion that the male CMs are pre-pubescent, perpetual Lost Boys.

Trauma

Good point.

I think we should have all cast members model their look and hairstyle to pop culture icons.

TrainsOfDisney

I think, for some, it just goes against the boyish good looks Walt Disney wanted from male CMs. Some struggle to let-go of the illusion that the male CMs are pre-pubescent, perpetual Lost Boys.
Walt Disney modeled the Disney look after military uniform standards.

The military still has those standards by the way.

LittleBuford

The patience to politely and kindly deal with thousands of entitled tourists, every last one thinking they're more important than the rest, without killing them?
Indeed. And it's not necessarily a question of whether we here could do the same job with the necessary training; it's a question of whether we'd even want to. I certainly wouldn't, and I think those who are willing to bear the brunt of park-goers' rudeness should be appropriately remunerated.

LittleBuford

That helps explain it. Beardlessness certainly fits that image, but you'd think people could move on from what was deemed appropriate in 1955.

Nubs70

Yes, from those with the means to those with the needs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom