News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

MrPromey

No but this post is tone deaf. I doubt feel sorry for someone paying astronomical rent / wants to still live in same location , complain about , but doesn't think of other options like moving to cheaper COL area.
Man, you're missing the point.

How much should a person sacrifice to work for Disney so you can have a fun time on vacation?

Exactly how much should these strangers be willing to give up for your entitled enjoyment?

Can't afford to live nearby? No problem just move 45-60 minutes away and add 1.5-2 hours of commute time to your daily work schedule and start spending more for gas to get to and from work. Also, expect more oil changes and repairs on that car from all the extra wear and tear you're now putting on it. 👍

Sure, it's stressful and you could just go make sandwiches at a Wawa down the street instead but my vacation is worth it!

... or maybe if they're smart they just move further away (like you said) and work somewhere else (like that Wawa) or maybe they go to school to educate themselves so they can get better jobs which yeah, is great for them... and then what do Disney and you do?

Contrary to popular belief around here, it is NOT a privilege to deal with wonderful people on their vacations day in and day out that have attitudes just like yours, here.

It's a job and if a large percentage of people conclude that it is not a job properly compensated for, that's a problem for both Disney and you because it takes a whole lot of underpaid people to keep that place working.

Trying to make the issues at play an employee/cast problem is a great way to act like you don't understand the truth which is that this is very much a Disney problem because if 30-40 thousand cast were to decide it's time to move on and do better for themselves, WDW would be the next feature on Defunctland.

Disney not seeming worried about the prospect of this happening says something about them as a company. People, willing to defend them in this also says something about those people. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

JMcMahonEsq

How much should a person sacrifice to work for Disney so you can have a fun time on vacation?

Exactly how much should these strangers be willing to give up for your entitled enjoyment?

Can't afford to live nearby? No problem just move 45-60 minutes away and add 1.5-2 hours of commute time to your daily work schedule and start spending more for gas to get to and from work. Also, expect more oil changes and repairs on that car from all the extra wear and tear you're now putting on it. 👍

Sure, it's stressful and you could just go make sandwiches at a Wawa down the street instead but my vacation is worth it!

... or maybe if they're smart they just move further away (like you said) and work somewhere else (like that Wawa) or maybe they go to school to educate themselves so they can get better jobs which yeah, is great for them... and then what do Disney and you do?

Contrary to popular belief around here, it is NOT a privilege to deal with wonderful people on their vacations day in and day out that have attitudes just like yours, here.

It's a job and if a large percentage of people conclude that it is not a job properly compensated for, that's a problem for both Disney and you because it takes a whole lot of underpaid people to keep that place working.

Trying to make the issues at play an employee/cast problem is a great way to act like you don't understand the truth which is that this is very much a Disney problem because if 30-40 thousand cast were to decide it's time to move on and do better for themselves, WDW would be the next feature on Defunctland.

That Disney not seeming worried about the prospect of this happening says something about them as a company. People, willing to defend them in this also says something about those people. 🤷‍♂️
Yes it says they fully understand that for the most part a sufficient pool of unskilled labor will be available. Where are these people all of a sudden en mace moving on to do better? These people aren’t moving from cm ride operator to IT/white collar positions overnight. And even if a few decide to move on, there is going to be a ready replacement of unskilled labor needing work that will take up the positions.

It’s just a simple fact of economics that unskilled non-degree required positions are NOT going to demand a salary that is going to allow someone to own a home, or even rent as a single person, in a high demand location. Food service employees working in McDonald’s or similar type job in NYC or SF aren’t going to be able to afford a home there. The hotel staff in Boston don’t live in Beacon Hill or Brookline. They are commuting a significant distance living in southie or less desirable areas and/or likely sharing apartments with multiple roommates. It’s a similar story in Orlando.

Tha Realest

I’m not sure the guests aren’t paying their fair share here. When rack room prices for value resorts are over $200 and I’m paying $16 for a cheeseburger and $7 for a Coke, how is that my problem that their employer is refusing to pay their employees more while taking in record profits?

The math is starting to break at both ends, but its not fair to say the guests are the ones exploiting the CMs here.

LSLS

No but this post is tone deaf. I doubt feel sorry for someone paying astronomical rent / wants to still live in same location , complain about , but doesn't think of other options like moving to cheaper COL area.
I have a feeling this is why they have issues with staffing at WDW. People move out further away, but now gas prices are costing you a bunch, on top of the extreme times commutes can take, they take different jobs paying similar rates closer to home.

Cliff

I think that Cast Members have the upper hand here….by far.

1.) Disney has severely damaged its overall brand in the past couple of years and this poor treatment of its employees going public at “this” exact moment is another nasty public relations problem that will be another Mike Tyson punch to their face.

2.) A strike and potential shut down of WDW is happening at a time when the company is leaning HEAVILY on park revenue today, WDW is the one big “bright spot” on the companies books and can’t afford to lose that,

This company has been doing nothing but eroding and crumbling its good name for the past couple of years. I suspect that public opinion of the Disney logo is just sinking and sinking every month that goes by.

Disney needs all new blood in its top management. These current people are literally killing 100 years of strong customer loyalty and goodwill.

celluloid

All the theme parks, hotels, dining and recreation. The talent pool is eventually completely drained when your competition is being more competitive.

Covid put a bit a dent in the CP tradition Gone re the generations raised by the animation Renisance and in College is the generation that were raised with Disney's Marvel Cinematic Universe and Star Wars. Still a huge and loyal audience to some degree, but a very different audience compared to the legacy the company was.
The internet truth is much more common with how CMs are treated compared to what other places are paying. You don't have to buy a copy of the book Mousecatraz anymore to learn about the ugly side. Reddit and other social media talks about it all plenty.

The times are changing.

Tha Realest

1.) Disney has severely damaged its overall brand in the past couple of years and this poor treatment of its employees going public at “this” exact moment is another nasty public relations problem that will be another Mike Tyson punch to their face.

2.) A strike and potential shut down of WDW is happening at a time when the company is leaning HEAVILY on park revenue today, WDW is the one big “bright spot” on the companies books and can’t afford to lose that,

This company has been doing nothing but eroding and crumbling its good name for the past couple of years. I suspect that public opinion of the Disney logo is just sinking and sinking every month that goes by.

Disney needs all new blood in its top management. These current people are literally killing 100 years of strong customer loyalty and goodwill.
In the last week or so the union leaders have watched Disney roll over to Peltz and Desantis.

I’d hold firm if I were the unions. Disney likes to brag about all its revenues and profitability.

To paraphrase McCarthy, the executive ranks can cut bonus sizes, which is probably good for some people’s bottom lines.

Lilofan

A strike will not happen when contract is in place. Any member who strikes is terminated from their job.

LSLS

I would think the cast who have been with Disney making $25 or more per hour would know if they quit and start with a new role at another company similar to Disney they would be low man on seniority and start at entry level wage.

I'm so lost now. Sure, they wouldn't (unless others really wanted them). But those people are also not the ones struggling to pay rent within a reasonable distance of WDW. I thought we were talking about $16/hour vs $18/hour?

Brian

I think it's worth repeating how little engagement the STCU has with the average WDW CM they represent. Unless you've got 20+ years of seniority to your name, or are frequently being interviewed by management for disciplinary purposes, odds are you don't even know the name of your union (Unite Here 737, Unite Here 362, TCU, etc), let alone be willing to participate in a strike, if/when the lack of a contract permits one.

IanDLBZF

I think it's worth repeating how little engagement the STCU has with the average WDW CM they represent. Unless you've got 20+ years of seniority to your name, or are frequently being interviewed by management for disciplinary purposes, odds are you don't even know the name of your union (Unite Here 737, Unite Here 365, TCU, etc), let alone would you be willing to participate in a strike, if/when the lack of a contract permits one.
Not surprising.
And add salt to the wound Unite Here 362 and 737 have been advocating on a number of occasions to get Universal at the bargaining table but it has yet to happen.

Brian

Not surprising.
And add salt to the wound Unite Here 362 and 737 have been advocating on a number of occasions to get Universal at the bargaining table but it has yet to happen.
I hadn't heard that, but it's laughable to think that they're even considering trying. They can barely hold together their current constituency at WDW, let alone unionize an entirely new workforce.

Lilofan

I'm so lost now. Sure, they wouldn't (unless others really wanted them). But those people are also not the ones struggling to pay rent within a reasonable distance of WDW. I thought we were talking about $16/hour vs $18/hour?
Ok I got it. If you are talking reasonable distance from WDW there isn't much of that. Trying to exit the parks at closing when thousands of cars are leaving at same time frame getting on I-4 or other roads is an experience. Some complain they can't pay high rent where they are at , I get it but have they opened their eyes to looking at moving elsewhere to rent in a cheaper area? I could not afford to rent in the major city where I was at so I rented further away in a cheaper COL area but that's just me.

Lilofan

I hadn't heard that, but it's laughable to think that they're even considering trying. They can barely hold together their current constituency at WDW, let alone unionize an entirely new workforce.
Unionize Universal? Wal Mart would have to unionize first meaning it ain't going to happen .

celluloid

Ok I got it. If you are talking reasonable distance from WDW there isn't much of that. Trying to exit the parks at closing when thousands of cars are leaving at same time frame getting on I-4 or other roads is an experience. Some complain they can't pay high rent where they are at , I get it but have they opened their eyes to looking at moving elsewhere to rent in a cheaper area?

Gas is not exactly free five days a week or more. Then you run into wear and tear on vehicle for mileage and the frustration of time, which is not financial but plays into quality of life.

Lilofan

Gas is not exactly free five days a week or more. Then you run into wear and tear on vehicle for mileage and the frustration of time, which is not financial but plays into quality of life.
I've learned for every suggestion there are always some that make a reason why they can't do it so I guess deal with what you've got if not willing to.look at other options or suggestions.

celluloid

I've learned for every suggestion there are always some that make a reason why they can't do it so I guess deal with what you've got if not willing to.look at other options or suggestions.

I think the suggestion is freedom. No one is a slave to a company. I just wanted to point out that your suggestion is not cheaper.

It is Indvidual's choice.

If the company finds it is hard to staff at levels they should be, then that is on the company. It is their bad choice.

I had a three-bedroom home for my wife and son with a newborn just income from Universal Orlando that was not much higher than starting wage and an online side hustle. My situation was tiring and not ideal but yes, you can make it work.

Your idea was just not a good one for most full time as gas five days a week or more is going to cost you more than the higher rent split or even by yourself typically would.

Lilofan

I think the suggestion is freedom. No one is a slave to a company. I just wanted to point out that your suggestion is not cheaper.

It is Indvidual's choice.

If the company finds it is hard to staff at levels they should be, then that is on the company. It is their bad choice.

I had a three-bedroom home for my wife and son with a newborn just income from Universal Orlando that was not much higher than starting wage and an online side hustle. My situation was tiring and not ideal but yes, you can make it work.

Your idea was just not a good one for most full time as gas five days a week or more is going to cost you more than the higher rent split or even by yourself typically would.
I'm with you. I missed out on a lot of fun for several years working two jobs 6-7 days a week , two relationships fell apart because of my time away but I caught up on bills and sped up my mortgage payments to pay off my home. It was tiring but all worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom