News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

dovetail65

Going on strike during good faith negotiations where Disney has shown they are willing to bend some would be quite the move....
That was not the question though. The comment wasn't what happens if the CM's walk off the job during current negotiations.

At the appropriate time for workers to strike what happens to WDW if the CM's do strike.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
At the appropriate time for workers to strike what happens to WDW if they do strike.
Ok. Just a weird question for me to entertain given that I think the chances of that even occurring are slim to none. Are they even able to do so under the current contract in place? Maybe someone can answer that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, I always find it curious when people seem so annoyed about the idea you would have a society that as a whole has a higher ability to process complex information by several extra years of non-vocational education. I teach university students, many of whom are very bright when they get to university, but they are still analysing and organising information at the high school level. There's nothing inferior about a vocational degree at all, but the notion that the only useful education is one that prepares you for a specific job speaks to a vision where the bulk of the population are basically drones whose purpose in life is to work.

No one is telling people to stop reading, stop growing, or stop learning. But there is an expectation that people are using higher education to enable and prepare them for a career - not just enlightenment. And then people are finding themselves struggling with debt because that education they undertook did not actually set them up for success in securing a higher earning job.

If your objective is to prepare for a career - career training is basically by definition more focused on that objective. And in almost every case vs traditional university, cheaper.

If you want to take classes to make yourself smarter - you can still do so, even if you went to a vocational program. But when someone says "everyone should get a AA for free" in a discussion about people struggling with college debt because they can't get good paying jobs... I will certainly stand up and say "Why?" What will that new free AA provide above and beyond another program ALREADY AVAILABLE in terms of addressing people's ability to get good paying jobs?

There is certainly value in an educated population - but a well educated person doesn't necessarily equate to preparation for the working world. So if we're talking about people struggling in the working world... you should consider how they are preparing.

dovetail65

Ok. Just a weird question for me to entertain given that I think the chances of that even occurring are slim to none. Are they even able to do so under the current contract in place? Maybe someone can answer that.
Well they can legally strike, when is hidden from the public:

Disney workers technically cannot strike, according to the current no-strike/no-lockout deal the union has with the company. That changes when the deal expires, a date that's not publicly known as the company and the union are working under an extension to the original deal.

As to what would happen, well it is not a place where the managers can run the business in the interim, that is what generally happens at many companies. Like in the automotive industry though a business can not hire 30 thousand new workers while the mangers are running the company. Any new worker is going to want exactly what these CM's are asking for. I would say CM hold fast you will get that money you want because a strike just can not be allowed at WDW. Right now the from my perspective(right or wrong) the CM Unions have the power.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Education loan complex needs to be turned over to the private sector.
It is today :) The issue is the government backing of loans changing the criteria. It's a catch-22

You can't run it like a traditional loan market. If you operated where you normally limit people based on what they can pay... no one would get any loans because students have basically zero earnings. And if relying only on deferments default rate would drive prices to be very high.

So the fed backs loans across the board, basically eliminating the need for lenders to scrutinize lenders ability to pay... leading to this "free" money flooding the market.

Private student loans are already cheaper for most parent loans vs parent+ loans from the fed - but they lack the fed protections and payback flexibilities fed loans have.

The prime influence of the fed in the market is removing 'ability to pay' in the loan process and keeping prices low by lowering risk for lenders.

It's the same issue with medical insurance... until you fix the cost model, you can't fix it by only looking at how you pay for it.

Cutting off the free money would force entities to adapt to the new market.. but it would be a blood-bath, and the generation of students that would move through that period would also be a sacrifice.

dovetail65

This is what we support…whether you like it or not.
Well I didn't really say whether I liked it myself or not, I said something is not right here. I would not say "we" support anything, we have no power to change it. We live under how things work right now. Are you are hinting going to WDW is supporting it?

This is not WDW issue this is all large corporations. There really is no way for us as individuals to say oh I wont shop here or there and think that will change anything. I guess it is going to take a change of thought process of the people that run these ultra large companies. That may take a generation who knows.|

Possibly it may take one big person to cut their own pay so the regular employees can make more money and maybe it will spread, one could only hope. I am sure it will not happen in my lifetime.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Outsourcing jobs to technology will have the same consequences as outsourcing jobs offshore. Short term solution for the bottom line, long term pain for society. Take a drive through the rust belt if you need visual evidence of that pain.
Do you really miss going to a bank teller during banker hours each time you use an ATM?

Do you really miss the manual timeboards vs a digital display in the parks?

Progress can be good - you can't hold onto the old ways simply because you're invested in them. Hold onto the ones that make sense and refresh those that don't.

el_super

What happens to that stock price if every WDW employee decides not to show up for work?

That is the question. I would assume in the short term not a whole lot. Depends on how long the CMs are really willing to strike for. Or if they are willing to strike at all.

Technically the contract expired in Oct. Typically they will agree to follow the terms of the previous contract while the new one is being negotiated, but if the negotiations break down, it would still be an option.

Of course, they aren't really in a position to strike, and most likely won't. Disney knows this and that's why Disney has all the power over them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just a weird question for me to entertain given that I think the chances of that even occurring are slim to none
Not a wierd question at all...

el_super with his usual company line came in with a ROI point... people provided a counter point that showed that same money has a lot more value supporting the foundation of the company than in one person.

Nubs70

DIS has 203,000 employees world wide.

Iger makes $27MM/year
$1MM base salary
$1MM performance incentive
Up to $25MM in stock options

If Iger worked for $0/yr in total compensation and funds equally redistributed, each employee would receive (assuning 2080 hours/year):

$133/year or $0.064/hr - total compensation.
$4.93/ or $0.0024/hr - salary only consideration

Stock options:

Current value if 1 share DIS = $107.73
$25MM/$107.73 = 232,061 shares
232,061/202,999 = 1.14 shares/ee

Therefore,

If Iger worked for $0 total compensation and all funds were equitably redistributed to the remaining employees,

Salary employees would receive:
Bonus check = $133
Stock option = 1.14 shares

Hourly employees would receive:
Hourly increase = $0.064/hr
Stock option = 1.14 shares

I think Clark Griswold's "Jelly of the Month Club" cost more than that.

dovetail65

Do you really miss going to a bank teller during banker hours each time you use an ATM?

Do you really miss the manual timeboards vs a digital display in the parks?

Progress can be good - you can't hold onto the old ways simply because you're invested in them. Hold onto the ones that make sense and refresh those that don't.

You are right in more ways then one, change(especially in technology) actually creates more jobs in the end as well. Robots don't replace us, they create more jobs for us.​

Technology Creates More Jobs Than It Destroys​

Despite the claims to the contrary, innovation is a job creator, not a job demolisher. This

flynnibus

Premium Member
Despite the claims to the contrary, innovation is a job creator, not a job demolisher.
But it requires change.. including at the individual level. Change that isn't always easy nor free. Thus the resistance.

Missing from that piece is the skeletons left behind by that change. I think it is important to acknowledge that not all survive the change, even if you advocate the collective is better in the long run. But denying the change is usually the worse path because it's inevitable.. so we should embrace the change and try to make the most of it. Help those impacted make the transition where we can.

But we have people that sit in place, refuse to change, and cry woe is me... or groups that refuse to invest in the common good.. thus we usually end up with far more left behind than needed.

Vegas Disney Fan

Why $18? The minimum income (living wage) to live in the greater orlando area is $18.85 per hour.

Unfortunately this is irrelevant to what Disney should be willing to pay, unless Disney suddenly becomes altruistic instead of profit driven (not gonna happen) the only thing they are going to look at is how much other employers in the area are paying.

This is why I asked earlier what other local companies are paying, if Disney is already paying $5 an hour more than the other businesses in the area competing for the same employees there isn’t much risk you’ll leave them, no one’s going to leave a $16 an hour job to go work for someone down the street for $11.

Universal threw a huge wrench in the works for Disney, now that the competition for employees is paying $17 Disney will have to too, but I wouldn’t expect a cent over $17 because there’s no business incentive for Disney to offer more.

Not saying it’s right but it’s how business works, on the plus side $17 is a whole lot closer than $15 to that living wage.

However the reality is Disney has to provide enough to maintain your employment. Right now they appear to be doing so if you don’t want to consider leaving.

Spot on, Disney just needs to be more appealing than the other available jobs to keep their staff, which they currently are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom