News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Lilofan

The dynamic is it’s not the UAW….so Disney will wait for collapse as they always do…

It would be a perfect time for universal to up their starting pay - again - to $18
With Universal not being unionized is their staff guaranteed 32 hours for full time like Disney full time cast per union contract? Back in the day I worked for a golf resort and if no heads on beds, lowest on seniority / housekeeping were taken off the workload and went to collect unemployment.

Lil Copter Cap

LOL. How do you marry those two statements? How can you suggest they should replace with self service kiosks while also saying interactions with the cast members make your trips special?
This entirely.

People love to rattle on about how CMs are the magic of a Disney vacation and then in the same breath mention it’s unskilled labor.

There’s an emotional and mental side of employment people refuse to acknowledge. If CMs were consistently rude or provided nothing beyond scanning items at a checkout counter, the argument would likely be to lower wages as they aren’t truly contributing to a magical experience.

Orlando’s cost of living has risen astronomically in recent years. Disney, like most companies, likely look at and pay for Cost of Labor in the area. They don’t care about a 1-bedroom apartment rising to $1,550 a month. They want to look at nearby businesses and pay just a little more than their competition to retain their workforce. (Or provide more perks/benefits)

Which is exactly why Universal, who is going to also be in a hiring crisis come Epic Universe’s opening, is laying the ground work now. And them laying out this new hourly rate will more than likely force Disney’s hand.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because for so many disney is an escape. They can't or don't want to comprehend that this is their life and not just a week long vacation.
I get that…but you gotta be REAL miserable at home for your “escapes” to be this all encompassing

In years of boards…I find that the ones most adamant that everyone serve them and be “magical” all the time…
Are the ones to go on boards and want them to bleed and be exploited…like Stamps

Last edited:

Lilofan

This entirely.

People love to rattle on about how CMs are the magic of a Disney vacation and then in the same breathe mention it’s unskilled labor.

There’s an emotional and mental side of employment people refuse to acknowledge. If CMs were consistently rude or provided nothing beyond scanning items at a checkout counter, the argument would likely be to lower wages as they aren’t truly contributing to a magical experience.

Orlando’s cost of living has risen astronomically in recent years. Disney, like most companies, likely look at and pay for Cost of Labor in the area. They don’t care about a 1-bedroom apartment rising to $1,550 a month. They want to look at nearby businesses and pay just a little more than their competition to retain their workforce. (Or provide more perks/benefits)

Which is exactly why Universal, who is going to also be in a hiring crisis come Epic Universe’s opening, is laying the ground work now. And them laying out this new hourly rate will more than likely force Disney’s hand.
Yes rents are high when I used to rent. I decided to get roommates to split the costs. One other option which I did when I thought out of the box was moving to an area where rent was less but that's just me saying and doing.

the_rich

I get that…but you gotta be REAL miserable at home for your “escapes” to be this all encompassing

In years of boards…I find that the ones most adamant that everyone serve them and be “magical” all the time…
And yet go on boards and want them to bleed and be exploited…like Stamps
Have you read some of these posts? They are miserable.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
"Disney spokesperson Andrea Finger also told News 6 that the company provided an option to accelerate wage increases, which would bring all current non-tipped cast members up to at least $17 per hour upon ratification — and many more increasing to $20 per hour within the first year."
So who's not being upfront about what's being proposed?
Sounds like a reasonable compromise. Meet in the middle.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With Universal not being unionized is their staff guaranteed 32 hours for full time like Disney full time cast per union contract? Back in the day I worked for a golf resort and if no heads on beds, lowest on seniority / housekeeping were taken off the workload and went to collect unemployment.
32 hours is a ticket to bankruptcy…the other side of the spectrum is mandatory 6 and you can’t cover your kids

It’s a full time gig at comparatively low pay…so it’s always gonna be difficult.

But in Florida - right to work - non-mandatory unions eliminates work stoppages…which kills bargaining power.

I always highly caution to use the word “union” in Florida…or doesn’t fit the old system of the north.

The main tool the trades have their is using PR against Disney…that’s their Achilles

But I don’t know how much widespread sympathy they will get for $18 an hour under the conditions? Disneys prices hurt their case…as does inflation.

Lilofan

32 hours is a ticket to bankruptcy…the other side of the spectrum is mandatory 6 and you can’t cover your kids

It’s a full time gig at comparatively low pay…so it’s always gonna be difficult.

But in Florida - right to work - non-mandatory unions eliminates work stoppages…which kills bargaining power.

I always highly caution to use the word “union” in Florida…or doesn’t fit the old system of the north.

The main tool the trades have their is using PR against Disney…that’s their Achilles

But I don’t know how much widespread sympathy they will get for $18 an hour under the conditions? Disneys prices hurt their case…as does inflation.
I'd think when the landlord finds out his or her tenants earning more, then they will charge more for rent accordingly.

Rich Brownn

I do not think the scope of the issue is understood here.

First Disney lost 1.5 billion in streaming in last Q4 and lost 630 million last year in those same 3 months. Paying 40 thousand workers for the parks at 4 bucks an hour cost them what? 160K every 4 months? This entire thing is a joke. They can lose half a billion to a very close to 2 billion in a 3 month span, but worry about paying their greatest asset 160 K more every 3 months?

Pay your greatest asset, your front line park worker! The parks are the only thing that consistently make Disney money. Lets say all new benefits cost Disney 2 million every 3 months for the workers, it's still not going to effect stockholders money as much as the decision making of the company itself.

Never compare minimum wage to what a person making should be happy with nor with what a large company with power should be paying them. That min wage is for small start ups not huge billion dollar companies where the top 50 people at the company make what the 40 thousand workers that run the place make. It is not those top 50 people that run the place. Pay is commensurate with value and the park workers are their most valuable thing. WDW need remember that.

1 bedroom apartments, just as bad as LA, New York and Boston. 1700 to 3700 from 1 to 3 bedrooms. Yes, you can get a 3 bedroom for 1300, but hard to find and not the greatest areas. Orlando areas now cost of living is what I came from when I moved here, they now have caught up, its never going back. Take a good look at this link then get back on whether anyone could live on even 18 an hour. It is now like other larger metro areas, glad I bought 5 years ago. Orlando is never going back to being cheap, but it will level off in 5 years so so.

All you need to know is while the front lines get little, CEO's salaries and benefits increased between 200-400% in the last 10 years.

Rich Brownn

When I was P/T at Universal I almost always ended up with a 40 hour week, never less than 30. If my attraction was slow, there were always ones that needed "rescue" (i.e., loaned out) employees. While my homes were DISASTER! and Hogwarts Express, I got rescued out to ET, Dragons, Beetlejuice show, and MIB (all in non-safety positions of course)

Lilofan

When I was P/T at Universal I almost always ended up with a 40 hour week, never less than 30. If my attraction was slow, there were always ones that needed "rescue" (i.e., loaned out) employees. While my homes were DISASTER! and Hogwarts Express, I got rescued out to ET, Dragons, Beetlejuice show, and MIB (all in non-safety positions of course)
You are Mr Jack of All Trades cross trained in many areas!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes rents are high when I used to rent. I decided to get roommates to split the costs. One other option which I did when I thought out of the box was moving to an area where rent was less but that's just me saying and doing.
Most wdw Emps are not 25 year old, unattached CP alums…

The majority have families, responsibilities and stretch…

So that plan isn’t as good as you think

Rich Brownn

You are Mr Jack of All Trades cross trained in many areas!
Actually, when you "rescue" out you're put into what they call non safety roles (ones that don't require training). At ET, for example, all I did was scan cards and type in names. At Dragons, worked the metal detector. My home positions I was trained for (In fact, if you watch the video of the last DISASTER! show, there I am onstage!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom