News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Jrb1979

That's exactly the problem. People who racked up student debt are now demanding wages commensurate with their education for roles that don't require said education in the first place.
It's also cause many of these kids don't have patience to wait to get to the point where the money comes in. It took me 6 years before I got to the point where I'm making $66000 a year

I will add I think a big issue is how many of these kids go to school for degrees that make no money in the real world.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
UNITE HERE Local 737 has shared more details on the new contract offer from Disney -

On February 15, Disney made a new contract proposal. The Union made it clear to Disney that their proposal is unacceptable.

For Cooks, Dishwashers and Housekeepers who will get an initial raise of over $1, Disney proposed to reduce the retroactive pay to only $1.

For example, under Disney’s new proposal, a Housekeeper who will get an initial raise from $17 to $20 would not get retroactive pay calculated on the full $3 raise. Instead, Disney proposed that retroactive pay will be calculated on only $1.

The Union will never accept Disney’s proposed reduction of retroactive pay. We will fight until the Company proposes the full retroactive pay owed to all Cast Members.

In addition, Disney failed to agree to the Union’s proposed minimum of $18 in 2023. Disney did propose a $1 raise on the date the Union’s members vote to accept this proposal. That would mean a minimum of $17 in 2023 for current Cast Members.

QSR, Seaters, Convention Guides and Food Handlers would all get only $1 per year under Disney’s new proposal: $16 retroactive to Oct. 2022 and only $17 when the Union’s members vote to accept. The Union does not agree to this proposal.

Both the Union and the Company continue to propose the large raises for Culinary, Stewarding and Housekeeping that we presented during the vote earlier this month.

For example:
- Housekeeping: Increase from $17 to $20
- Stewarding: Increase from $15 to $18
- Cook 2: $16.40 to $20
- Cook 1: $19 to $23.10
- Chef Assistant: $20 to $24.60

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Years ago I met an engineering mechanic working overtime as a park greeter. He boasted the fact that he was getting time and a half overtime pay to his buddy just to stand around and talk and greet guests. Now you do the math when he is making a mechanic hourly pay then time and a half as a park greeter far less complex than his regular role doing attractions maintenance. . Its a nice paycheck.
Holy anecdotal, Batman!
1676576076921.jpeg

Vegas Disney Fan

Ehhh…I’m a pro-labor/proliteriat kinda guy…
But fighting/dying on the hill of backpay raises?

Ehhh…don’t see it

Probably hoping to break the unified front, it’s a good incentive for those that already negotiated the wage they want, vote yes and start making your $20 or keep voting no and making $17 + eventually $1 in retroactive pay.

Every additional day they vote no costs them $16.

Patcheslee

As someone in a union, backpay is a big help. My union recently went without a contract for 3 years. When we finally settled the retro was a big reason why.
Covid delayed out negotiations for a year, my raise was $2.18/hr and had worked the normal 2080 hours plus 750 overtime hours in that time. If they would have offered a $1 retropay, I would have probably found another job.

the_rich

Covid delayed out negotiations for a year, my raise was $2.18/hr and had worked the normal 2080 hours plus 750 overtime hours in that time. If they would have offered a $1 retropay, I would have probably found another job.
Can't really do that at my job(leave). We have a 20 year retirement and I'm only 5 years away. But I agree with you in principle. You worked and earned it, so you deserve it.

Last edited:

Lil Copter Cap

And what do people think is going to happen when the area's largest two employers raise wages for tens of thousands of employees? :)

My point was that Disney (or any company that pays based on Cost of Labor) don't care about the cost of living/rent increases. I'm firmly aware what will likely happen. :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Except that the cost of living is going up anyway. So they are just falling further behind.

And a cycle that will never stop when you have such a high concentration of workers all having wages move in unison in an area. It's basically just inflation for the area when you have that many people all being coordinated.

All these people getting raises are competing with their peers getting the exact same raises.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Literally every post from that user is anecdotal evidence. Responses from them are rarely coherent or direct responses at all. They seem to use the reply button as a way to just jump into another "Me Me Me" story that has little to do with what the poster was talking about.
We all have our quirks

Lilo is the expert at non-sequitor

Penguin likes charts/numbers

Super likes to read the financials upside down

I like tossing things into the trash can and then lighting it on fire 🔥👹

…we all have our slo jams

Lilofan

We all have our quirks

Lilo is the expert at non-sequitor

Penguin likes charts/numbers

Super likes to read the financials upside down

I like tossing things into the trash can and then lighting it on fire 🔥👹

…we all have our slo jams
I also am a foodie and what trash at times some places in FL sell as food. We definitely don't go to WDW for quality food. But cruising on DCL, that's foodie heaven for us while on vacation.

Ayla

It's also cause many of these kids don't have patience to wait to get to the point where the money comes in. It took me 6 years before I got to the point where I'm making $66000 a year

I will add I think a big issue is how many of these kids go to school for degrees that make no money in the real world.
Our son graduated from college a few years ago with a degree in Economics. He's a Finance Manager, making $190,000 a year at 26 years old. I think he's doing ok. /sarcasm

ETA He just passed his five year mark at the company, where he started at $18/hr as a college sophomore answering the phones in the call center.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Rich outsiders also ( ie so many from So-Cal are moving to TX specifically Austin in search of cheaper COL, and driving real estate there higher they are nicknamed "Austinfornians ".
The Vegas area has been this way as long as I can remember, when I moved here 22 years ago it was about 1 million people, now we’re closer to 3 million, they’re building houses everywhere you look but can’t build them fast enough to keep up with demand, as a result prices just keep edging up.

There was an article in 2021 that estimated 35% of all Vegas residents were former CA residents, for that year alone 43% of all IDs turned in at the NV DMV were from CA, FL coming in a distant second at 4%.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom