News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

RobWDW1971

Yes, more people are applying to university - which has made the admission process much more competitive across the board. Good universities have been able to be much more selective about who they admit. This seems to be the exact opposite of what you are saying, that admission standards have been lowered - quite the contrary.
When twice the population percentage has acquired a degree over that time, the access to degrees (financial support, admission standards, etc.) by definition has been lowered.

Or one would have to argue that the percentage of people in the country with the academic prowess for college has doubled during that time, which would be a dubious suggestion.

The recent movement to remove the SAT/ACT standardized testing will continue to lower the bar ensuring the federally subsidized body count continues to grow.

Each one of those actions will only further lower the value of a degree to employers.

Vegas Disney Fan

Growing up, we "survived" on one income, the income of a single mother with three daughters who got zero support (financial or otherwise) from my worthless father. If it wasn't for my maternal grandparents and the food pantry, we wouldn't have had a place to live or food to eat some weeks.

Yeah, my reality was not all that rosy as a kid...and thank god my children never had to live like I did.

I still don't think "yeah, my childhood and early adulthood sucked, so everyone else's should, too". Not a chance.
Did you misread my comment?

I was replying to someone that said you could survive on one income back in the day as if that was the case for everyone. Which it wasn’t.

I also had an amazing childhood, we never had name brands and luxury items but my parents worked their tails off so we never went without. It’s also the reason I can do so many things today, having an old secondhand snowmobile meant learning how to fix it, having an old beat up car meant learning how to fix it, if someone fell and put a hole in the wall that meant learning to drywall… I wouldn’t trade my childhood for anyone’s.

I also specifically pointed out I don’t think it should be hard for everyone because we had it hard but that my point was it’s never been easy for everyone.

(Edited to sound less confrontational)

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Did you even read my comment?

I was replying to someone that said you could survive on one income back in the day as if that was the case for everyone. Which it wasn’t.

I also had an amazing childhood, we never had name brands and luxury items but my parents worked their tales off so we never went without. It’s also the reason I can do so many things today, having an old secondhand snowmobile meant learning how to fix it, having an old beat up car meant learning how to fix it, if someone fell and put a hole in the wall that meant learning to drywall… I wouldn’t trade my childhood for anyone’s.

And… I specifically pointed out I don’t think it should be hard for everyone because we had it hard but that my point was it’s never been easy for everyone.
Wearing Sears Toughskins instead of Levi’s…PF Flyers instead of Converse, etc. and we all turned out ok.

Casper Gutman

When twice the population percentage has acquired a degree over that time, the access to degrees (financial support, admission standards, etc.) by definition has been lowered.

Or one would have to argue that the percentage of people in the country with the academic prowess for college has doubled during that time, which would be a dubious suggestion.

The recent movement to remove the SAT/ACT standardized testing will continue to lower the bar ensuring the federally subsidized body count continues to grow.

Each one of those actions will only further lower the value of a degree to employers.
You specifically said degrees from prestigious universities had lost value because they were easier to get - but they aren’t. The acceptance process has become significantly more selective. We can see this in the percentage of applicants universities accept.

You might also want to consider what cultural and social changes have taken place since the 70s that might see large new groups applying to university.

lightningtap347

What you're indirectly avocating is either free money or only loans tied directly to income-producing fields of study

How would abolishing the broken government loan system do this?
Without access to free, risk free money, colleges should have to adjust prices to rely on the actual market / value of their education.

I know that should is very dependent on the system actually acting like it should, which I know it won't. But I'm interested to hear potential side effects for this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Only if you qualify (and that's currently less than 10% of the population). For some job categories, there are plenty that lack civilian counterparts and fewer than 17% make it to a 20-year retirement. 20 long years of soul-sucking status quo.
Still a ton to benefit from a 4,6, or 8 yr enlistment. All the dead end guys i hung out with in HS went into the marines are dumb infantry. And after their time, all of them ended up with tech or military industry jobs and are very successful. These were all guys with zero plans in HS… no real outlook except where our next hangout was. Now they travel the world doing tech work on military contracts.

Not to say everyone works out… but in my experience it turned the lives of many into successful career professionals. I know several who used it to become doctors and nurses too.

In terms of life changing opportunities- its up there. Not free by any means… but for any one in the ‘woe is me’ camp this path has virtually unlimited upside.

Dranth

College as it currently stands isn't an economic necessity to live comfortably. It is however a prerequisite for some companies for some roles.

College as a transitory lifestyle package experience vs getting an education are quite different things. Colleges have no problem setting you on a course of study that might lead you to personal satisfaction but no one outside of academia or cocktail party conversation places any value on it.

Choices have consequences.
I agree with the first part, somewhat with the second but really wanted to specifically address the last part.

It’s not that it isn’t true but looking back, I have ZERO problem recognizing what a complete moron I was when I was 17/18 years old. So yes, choices have consequences but we are also asking “adults” who we won’t even let rent a car or buy a beer to make decisions that will impact their lives in ways they can't even comprehend yet. They just don't have the life experience to see it in many cases.

Ayla

Did you even read my comment?

I also had an amazing childhood, we never had name brands and luxury items but my parents worked their tails off so we never went without. It’s also the reason I can do so many things today, having an old secondhand snowmobile meant learning how to fix it, having an old beat up car meant learning how to fix it, if someone fell and put a hole in the wall that meant learning to drywall… I wouldn’t trade my childhood for anyone’s.

And… I specifically pointed out I don’t think it should be hard for everyone because we had it hard but that my point was it’s never been easy for everyone.
I'd trade mine without a second thought.

I think it's interesting that the emphasis or derision about education falls along political lines.

Dranth

Luck maybe part of the outcome for success... but know what isn't? Apathay and lack of self-responsibility.

You don't usually find people that say "Luck had nothing to do with it" -- but conversely you won't find people preaching "just sit around and wait for success... you'll eventually win the luck lottery".

The idea that working hard is not mutually exclusive to also getting something falling in your favor. But it VERY rarely works the otherway around where you just get success with only luck.

That's why people don't focus on it as a element of success. It alone isn't going to do it, nor is it really the backbone.
Maybe it is just me but I have run into a large number of people that believe luck had nothing at all to do with where they are in life which I always found strange.

Agreed that most people who are successful aren't there solely because of luck but it often plays a larger role then people believe.

A couple of examples...

I have one company I am working with where the owner legit busts his backside and it has certainly helped his business grow. That is the hard work paying off. On the other hand, he wouldn't even be sniffing owning a company if his parents didn't actually start it many years ago and pass it down to him. That is luck (his parents hard work, luck for him that he was born into that situation).

Another owner built his company from scratch and was doing great. Hard work. His daughter got cancer and the medical bills, despite insurance, nearly wiped them out. Bad luck.

Long story short, you need the hard work but you also really need the universe to cut you some slack sometimes.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Still a ton to benefit from a 4,6, or 8 yr enlistment.

In terms of life changing opportunities- its up there. Not free by any means… but for any one in the ‘woe is me’ camp this path has virtually unlimited upside.

Just like any other profession, some adapt, some excel, and others fall by the wayside. Many lessons to learn if one just opens thier eyes and listens. It worked for me and I'm still benefiting with a retirement and another full time career that's much less demanding.

Tha Realest

Wow - so if that is to be taken at face value, Disney's really playing serous hardball... Wondering if the decisions for this stuff were made before Universal's announcement.

If not.. :oops:
it’s really unfortunate that very misguided decisions in the film and streaming divisions have made it prohibitively expensive for the company to pay the front-line employees in its most profitable division.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom