News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

lightningtap347

Yes I do.
1676487688890.png

Lilofan

Your student loans were like $20/semester and you could afford a home. My grandfather could afford a home screwing on friggin' toothpaste tubes.

I'm so tired of these ice cold takes from dinosaurs who have "got theirs" and have no experience being a recent grad entering the workforce. Society is an absolute scam for people who don't have rich parents or have already attained even moderate wealth, and hearing people who are actively pull up the ladder while speaking of hardships which have no basis in current reality is migraine inducing.
Who forces kids to attend more expensive private schools when one can attend in state public universities at lesser costs, even cheaper living with the parents, or apply for ROTC scholarships attend college for free and serve your country for a few years. . Did one party and study for 4 years and not work in the campus cafeteria while eating for free and avoiding paying for the meal plan ? I did all three, was not easy but it was worth it. Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

MR.Dis

Disney is not responsible to pay someone a liveable wage. Blunt but true, they are responsible to pay a wage that is in their best interest to run their business. The Union is not responsible for worrying that Disney makes a profit or has to raise ticket prices. Their responsible for doing what is in the best interest of the Union workers. That is the crux of all contract negotiations.

the_rich

Who forces kids to attend more expensive private schools when one can attend in state public universities at lesser costs, even cheaper living with the parents, or apply for ROTC scholarships attend college for free and serve your country for a few years. . Asking for a friend.
First even state colleges aren't cheap anymore. Queens college was 5k a year when I went in thr early 2000s. It's now 20k a year. And it's laughable to say go risk your life so you can get an education.

JD80

I typically expect that a minimum wage job should get you enough food to eat, enough for rent with maybe 1 or 2 room mates. Pay for transportation to work and personal time (bus/subway in cities or car and fuel in suburbs).

Also pay for utilities - hvac, power, water, internet.

Also should pay for some form of entertainment occasionally within reason.

Back in the day you didn't need a phone or internet. Today you need a cell phone and a reliable internet connection and email just to apply for a job.

Just added expense.

lightningtap347

Who forces kids to attend more expensive private schools when one can attend in state public universities at lesser costs, even cheaper living with the parents, or apply for ROTC scholarships attend college for free and serve your country for a few years. . Asking for a friend.
It doesn't matter where you go, you're still paying far more now than in your time so you can tell your friend that your point is still ice cold.

celluloid

Back in the day you didn't need a phone or internet. Today you need a cell phone and a reliable internet connection and email just to apply for a job.

Just added expense.

It evens out. If anything, it is easier. Almost anywhere in the United States you can get free Wifi,

and basic unlimited phone planes with a phone that can do all you need is cheaper than any house phone payment used to be.

Last edited:

JD80

Disney is not responsible to pay someone a liveable wage. Blunt but true, they are responsible to pay a wage that is in their best interest to run their business. The Union is not responsible for worrying that Disney makes a profit or has to raise ticket prices. Their responsible for doing what is in the best interest of the Union workers. That is the crux of all contract negotiations.
While true on a basic basic level it's a stupid argument.

When you are hiring for a service oriented job you want to be picky about who becomes the face of your product. So it is in the best interest of Disney to pay well to attract talent. The use of the word responsibility it just odd.

lightningtap347

Another excuse to keep the complaints going. In state public univ is less costs than a number of private colleges
Did you spend even an iota of time looking over the numbers I posted or did you stare at the links like a child stares at peas?
Institution tuition has wildly outpaced wages, and those who choose to go (even with scholarships) without a support system (rich parents) are sent into a predatory cycle of high interest student loans.

I'm tired of talking to you and your intellectually lazy discourse. Be better to the future, thanks!

Lilofan

I started college in 1998. State school. Cost of tuition doubled in my time there. It has doubled some times over since then.

Just a data point.
Fyi - WDW had a program I read that the company would pay for interested cast to attend college classes at the Mouse's dime.

Drdcm

Your student loans were like $20/semester and you could afford a home. My grandfather could afford a home screwing on friggin' toothpaste tubes.

I'm so tired of these ice cold takes from dinosaurs who have "got theirs" and have no experience being a recent grad entering the workforce. Society is an absolute scam for people who don't have rich parents or have already attained even moderate wealth, and hearing people who are actively pull up the ladder while speaking of hardships which have no basis in current reality is migraine inducing.
Wow. That’s pretty hostile. How about this. I came from a low income family in upstate New York. I worked hard on school and got a scholarship for college. I worked hard in college and got a competitive research internship at Mayo Clinic. I worked hard there and volunteered in the hospital which allowed me to make connections and get letters of recommendation for medical school. I got into medical school, again worked hard, and got into residency. I again worked hard in residency and got a chief resident position for our program. I was then offered a job at the VA, they are currently paying off all my med school loans, I already paid off the college loans even though I was making 8$ an hour. And my wife and I just bought a house in DC. Please tell me I’m a dinosaur that got to skate by…. I dare you. I’m 32

Lilofan

Did you spend even an iota of time looking over the numbers I posted or did you stare at the links like a child stares at peas?
Institution tuition has wildly outpaced wages, and those who choose to go (even with scholarships) without a support system (rich parents) are sent into a predatory cycle of high interest student loans.

I'm tired of talking to you and your intellectually lazy discourse. Be better to the future, thanks!
Anyone with logic can see going the public univ route at $27K per year versus $58K per year for private colleges according to the article seems like a better route.

JD80

Wow. That’s pretty hostile. How about this. I came from a low income family in upstate New York. I worked hard on school and got a scholarship for college. I worked hard in college and got a competitive research internship at Mayo Clinic. I worked hard there and volunteered in the hospital which allowed me to make connections and get letters of recommendation for medical school. I got into medical school, again worked hard, and got into residency. I again worked hard in residency and got a chief resident position for our program. I was then offered a job at the VA, they are currently paying off all my med school loans, I already paid off the college loans even though I was making 8$ an hour. And my wife and I just bought a house in DC. Please tell me I’m a dinosaur that got to skate by…. I dare you. I’m 32

So easy everyone can do it.

Lilofan

Some like yourself used blood sweat and tears to get where you are. Kudos.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom