News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

lightningtap347

Wow. That’s pretty hostile. How about this. I came from a low income family in upstate New York. I worked hard on school and got a scholarship for college. I worked hard in college and got a competitive research internship at Mayo Clinic. I worked hard there and volunteered in the hospital which allowed me to make connections and get letters of recommendation for medical school. I got into medical school, again worked hard, and got into residency. I again worked hard in residency and got a chief resident position for our program. I was then offered a job at the VA, they are currently paying off all my med school loans, I already paid off the college loans even though I was making 8$ an hour. And my wife and I just bought a house in DC. Please tell me I’m a dinosaur that got to skate by…. I dare you. I’m 32
Congratulations on being the statistical outlier!
Average medical school debt is over $200K, so I'm so glad your hard work paid off. It's such a shame for everyone else in medical school that clearly isn't working hard enough to have something like this happen to them. Why doesn't everyone in school simply do this?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Your student loans were like $20/semester and you could afford a home. My grandfather could afford a home screwing on friggin' toothpaste tubes.

I'm so tired of these ice cold takes from dinosaurs who have "got theirs" and have no experience being a recent grad entering the workforce. Society is an absolute scam for people who don't have rich parents or have already attained even moderate wealth, and hearing people who are actively pull up the ladder while speaking of hardships which have no basis in current reality is migraine inducing.
I grew up poor and graduated with $30,000 in loans.

They were paid off in two years. It wasn't that hard.

When I got a job that paid $55,000, I pretended I made $40,000.

This was in 2011, not 1979.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Congratulations on being the statistical outlier!
Average medical school debt is over $200K, so I'm so glad your hard work paid off. It's such a shame for everyone else in medical school that clearly isn't working hard enough to have something like this happen to them. Why doesn't everyone in school simply do this?
If you have a physician's income and can't pay a $200,000 loan, that's a "you" problem.

TrainsOfDisney

No employer should have to tell you that...you should know that yourself when applying for a job such as a CM at WDW or Uni.
So everyone should know that working for WDW is a bad gig?
That goalpost has moved, it’s no longer live indoors and eat, that’s already possible but it may require a roommate, the exact situation I’d guess most of us experienced in our 20s.
Isn’t it great that the next generation values themselves more? They know that time and talent is worth more!
Maybe. High school kids job opportunities to gain experience becomes more limited when stupid wage demands for unskilled work become more and more common.
This makes no sense? Everyone is hiring right now. There’s no lack of job opportunities for high school kids.

Legally, High School kids can’t work full time hours, at least in my area.

JD80

I grew up poor and graduated with $30,000 in loans.

They were paid off in two years. It wasn't that hard.

When I got a job that paid $55,000, I pretended I made $40,000.

This was in 2011, not 1979.
I got out of college in 2003, I had 15k in loans that paid for basically half my tuition. Just tuition and not room and board.

I have an aerospace engineering degree.

My brother in law, graduated 5 or 6 years later from a state school with an engineering degree had significantly higher student loans.

Your student loans were significantly lower than the average.

dovetail65

But even in Florida, $17 an hours is $35000 a year before tax. Median rent in Orlando for a studio is $1600 a month. Let's say u get an apt for $1500, that's $18000 a year. Add in a car, insurance, food and it really is a struggle and that's if you are just supporting yourself.
That is every where. Anywhere they pay 17 an hour no one can live on 17 an hour, not a 40 hour week and not on their own.

In my life there was never a time I could afford to live on my own and I tried in several states. It took me and my wife together working 60 hours plus a week for years and years to make it and still does. Before that I needed roommates, in LA in the 80's it was 5 or 6 people to a 2 bedroom, this is nothing new.
Orlando will settle out in rental costs on the next 5 or 10 years, but right now anyone says the rental priced are not outrageous here in Orlando need to check that link I posted. So glad I came 5 years ago, today I do not think we could buy here and trust me I dont live in palace by any means, it's just a manufactured home.

Last edited:

JD80

It seems people don't realize real estate whether it's buy or rent is incredibly different today than it was 30 years ago. He'll it's different from 10.

You've got private companies buying up residential properties more than ever and driving up rental costs.

Lilofan

If you have a physician's income and can't pay a $200,000 loan, that's a "you" problem.
One of my family doctors did pay off a huge med school loan. Still drove into the ground his 20 year Honda Accord , lived in his small apt 10 more years as a practicing doctor after graduating from med school, paid off his loans and bought a home in his early 40s last year while currently earning $350K a year.

JD80

One of my family doctors did pay off a huge med school loan. Still drove into the ground his 20 year Honda Accord , lived in his small apt 10 more years as a practicing doctor after graduating from med school, paid off his loans and bought a home in his early 40s last year while currently earning $350K a year.

I love using personal antedotal evidence to prove macro economic questions that impact more than 40000 people.

MagicHappens1971

So it only counts if it's a federal loan? Plus those numbers are off.
those numbers aren’t off. This is from my university.
1C2A1CD7-AB17-423F-92C2-A9BE68E59289.jpeg

flynnibus

Premium Member
What further baffles me is that everyone is blaming the CMs and saying that if they don’t want to live on that wage they should look for something else and stop blaming the company.

This is where the “no one wants to work” mentality came from post Pandemic. A lot of people who had been told to get a “real job” have left the service industry and they have been severely understaffed since.

No - the 'no one wants to work' comments come from the people who literally take jobs and then DON'T DO THE JOB and don't meet common expectations of what it means to commit yourself to a job.

Or the people who think they should get the world handed to them because the world owes them a job. That's not how it works.

An employer is trying to find people to do a task or fulfill a need. The responsibility is on the employee to match what they want from a job with their capabilities and willingness to do it. If your capabilities don't match the kind of job you want - that's on the job seeker, not the employer. Same with someone without the willingness to actually do the job - like SHOW UP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom