News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Brian

There will not be a strike…because it would last about 1.5 days.
The picket line doesn’t exist in the scenario where it would be effective. Which is 100% participation, shutdown and public closure/loss

Now I will say that management can least afford this kinda attention now that ever before…that is true.

But you have a better chance herding cats with one of these flimsy trade councils
There's a better chance of the next spy balloon being launched from the China pavilion in EPCOT than a fruitful union strike at WDW.

Brian

What’s the percentage before there are shutdowns though? 30%?
It would all depend on how effective the shop stewards/business agents are on the ground. Union engagement at WDW is generally low, and it's usually only the most senior (in terms of seniority) CMs and the shop stewards, if the location even has one, that give a mouse's behind about the union... at least until those disengaged CMs are being investigated for disciplinary action, then they become temporary union fanboys.

Communication/engagement aside, if I were a betting man, I'd say they could muster maybe 5% of the represented cast to actually show up to strike. The rest would decline to participate for a plethora of reasons, with the most common being economic.

Certainly not enough to make a difference at most locations across property.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's a better chance of the next spy balloon being launched from the China pavilion in EPCOT than a fruitful union strike at WDW.
I think people apply their northeastern/midwestern/west coast teachings casually to all wdw labor discussions…they don’t really apply.

The best “tool” in a Disney unions Arsenal is the presence of Comcast, bars and 130 TGI Fridays on I-Drive to lure people away

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Communication/engagement aside, if I were a betting man, I'd say they could muster maybe 5% of the represented cast to actually show up to strike. The rest would decline to participate for a plethora of reasons, with the most common being economic.

Certainly not enough to make a difference at most locations across property.
1675559827966.jpeg

Brian

The best “tool” in a Disney unions Arsenal is the presence of Comcast, bars and 130 TGI Fridays on I-Drive to lure people away
I've long wondered if Universal would dare launch a PR campaign targeting Disney CMs during these protracted contract negotiations.

"Disney may not give you $20 an hour, but we'll give you $17" would be far more effective at resolving this matter than any picketing the STCU can organize.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've long wondered if Universal would dare launch a PR campaign targeting Disney CMs during these protracted contract negotiations.

"Disney may not give you $20 an hour, but we'll give you $17" would be far more effective at resolving this matter than any picketing the STCU can organize.
No PR campaign (it would really tick off the chamber of commerce)

But they have pilfered labor for years…very quietly in 2020 and 2021

The bobs really messed up.

They laid off for zero reason…then set “lines” they won’t cross and as such makes them a ripe target to pick

Disone

I don't think Universal would be doing the union any favors if they did that. Universal would have to match or exceed what Disney is offering.

They haven't done it so far with the current extended contract, I don't foresee them doing so with the new contract. This actually works in Disney's favor. It adds legitimacy to WDW's argument that the current contract is a solid offer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think Universal would be doing the union any favors if they did that. Universal would have to match or exceed what Disney is offering.

They haven't done it so far with the current extended contract, I don't foresee them doing so with the new contract. This actually works in Disney's favor. It adds legitimacy to WDW's argument that the current contract is a solid offer.
Universal will pay more if they have too…they have done it in the past and look for that to ramp up.

Disone

Universal will pay more if they have too…they have done it in the past and look for that to ramp up.
I'm not sure. They did not on the current contract, match Disney's starting pay of $15 an hour. Universal starts at $14. So yes they ramped up but no they did not match. And then this next contract was going to build on that 15. So it's doubtful that universal was going to make an offer that was the same or greater. Yes they were going to ramp up but who knows that they were actually going to match.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sure. They did not on the current contract, match Disney's starting pay of $15 an hour. Universal starts at $14. So yes they ramped up but no they did not match. And then this next contract was going to build on that 15. So it's doubtful that universal was going to make an offer that was the same or greater. Yes they were going to ramp up but who knows that they were actually going to match.
Universal went to $15 minimum 2 years ago…unless they withdrew that promise for some reason?

oreo1124

It would have been so easy to actually look this up. Universal got to 15 shortly before Disney's raises were completed.

Disone

Universal went to $15 minimum 2 years ago…unless they withdrew that promise for some reason?

According to Glassdoor, they started $14 an hour for an attractions host. So I guess it's not $15 across the board. Or glass door has outdated information. Both are definitely possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom