News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

celluloid

Disney is not going to give the front of the line workers a bigger slice of the pie. No business is going to give the entry level a bigger slice of the pie.

It does not matter how big the pie is, the whole pie is still going to be more than the slice they will get.

If it worked, than negotiants of the past and the pay increases would have worked by now to make big changes. If it keeps things at their status quo, good for them and good luck to them for doing different.

The average pay in the 70s for WDW employees is said to be 2.10 hourly. Inflation that is a little over 12 dollars into next year.

Disney's records are pretty consistent if that is all the case, so what do people think this forever fight changes?

Status quo, that is fine, and sure they should at the very least keep that, but the piece of the pie you are going to get is still the same.

A very liberal financial wise government professor who worked really hard on such things once really gave an honest talk to his students as he spent years of his life trying to raise wages.
"Rich people will always find a way to get their money."

You can change the numbers on it if it helps you feel better, but it won't change anything.

TrainsOfDisney

the piece of the pie
Disney is not going to give the front of the line workers a bigger slice of the pie. No business is going to give the entry level a bigger slice of the pie.

It does not matter how big the pie is, the whole pie is still going to be more than the slice they will get.
I think the real tragedy is the loss of a good slice of pie on Main Street…. Goodness I miss the main steeet bakery of old.

That’s the pie you’re talking about right?

TrainsOfDisney

In most circumstances those hurt the most are the retired, the disabled, and those who are already living on a fixed income.

As I said earlier… the raise is great for the formerly homeless CM who now makes enough he can afford apt 1a (even with its newly adjusted higher rent), but the problem is 1a used to be someone else’s home and that person who can no longer afford apt 1a is now homeless. You didn’t solve a problem you just changed who’s homeless.

If the goal is to put a senior on the streets so a CM has a place to live then raising minimum wage is a successful strategy, if the goal is to make housing more affordable though it‘s a failed strategy.

The other consequence is those living in 1b, 1c, etc who were middle class and already made more than minimum wage are now making the same salary but are now paying higher rent due to increased demand. They didn’t become homeless but they now have less disposable income.

Some benefit, others suffer.
I’m sure that when I buy a ticket to Walt Disney World I’m somehow helping some and hurting others. That’s a bit of a reach on the “butterfly effect” to claim that giving CM’s a raise = putting a senior on the street.

TrainsOfDisney

A good administrative assistant is much more than that and acquires the experience to be able to effectively filter information for his/her boss so that they can focus on what’s important. Not everyone can do that.
You honestly think it takes more skill to be a secretary than working the front desk of a Disney resort?

Touchdown

You honestly think it takes more skill to be a secretary than working the front desk of a Disney resort?
1. Front desk employees get tips
2. The amount of free thinking front desk employees can do is severely limited without a manager

While the baseline level does not require more skill a highly experienced assistant I do think is more valuable then a front desk employee who hasn’t graduated to manager.

lazyboy97o

In most circumstances those hurt the most are the retired, the disabled, and those who are already living on a fixed income.

As I said earlier… the raise is great for the formerly homeless CM who now makes enough he can afford apt 1a (even with its newly adjusted higher rent), but the problem is 1a used to be someone else’s home and that person who can no longer afford apt 1a is now homeless. You didn’t solve a problem you just changed who’s homeless.

If the goal is to put a senior on the streets so a CM has a place to live then raising minimum wage is a successful strategy, if the goal is to make housing more affordable though it‘s a failed strategy.

The other consequence is those living in 1b, 1c, etc who were middle class and already made more than minimum wage are now making the same salary but are now paying higher rent due to increased demand. They didn’t become homeless but they now have less disposable income.

Some benefit, others suffer.
Banning people from moving to Florida would probably have a bigger impact than not paying the people who already live in the area.

The so-called 5-over-2 apartment building is being built in Florida just like everywhere else. These are likely the type of housing suitable to many Cast Members.

Disney is also in the position to develop housing. They’ve done it before and they’re doing it now. They could have retained and redeveloped the College Program housing they sold off.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m pretty certain this is false.

While the baseline level does not require more skill a highly experienced assistant I do think is more valuable then a front desk employee who hasn’t graduated to manager.
I’m not sure what a “highly experienced assistant is” - we were talking about a “secretary that kept the same job for 40 years.”

JoeCamel

The so-called 5-over-2 apartment building is being built in Florida just like everywhere else. These are likely the type of housing suitable to many Cast Members.
Yikes, those seem unsafe?
I know it is today's code but they seem to be something waiting to catch fire or fail.

Lilofan

2. The amount of free thinking front desk employees can do is severely limited without a manager

In the hotels I used to work for, the admin assistant to the GM made a lot more per year than the entry level front desk clerk.

lazyboy97o

Yikes, those seem unsafe?
I know it is today's code but they seem to be something waiting to catch fire or fail.

You have to have fire separations between the units (walls and floors) and pretty much have to have sprinklers as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom