News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

peter11435

To what degree is there a shortage of labor? Just simply stating this as fact isn't really helpful to the discussion.

Disney knows exactly where they want their labor levels at, and exactly at what wages they want to offer to get there.

They're also not afraid to offer incentives and bonuses outside the purview of the contract if they think it will help get them where they want to be. They could be (and probably are- I haven't looked) offering incentives right now. If those are not working, what makes you sure that an increase in wages would?
At one point they were offering a wide variety of bonuses for certain roles. With some being as high as $6,000.

el_super

Questioning the operating expenses of a brand new land is not questioning the hourly wage of CM’s.

Isn't it though? What operating costs at a theme park are greater than labor?

At one point they were offering a wide variety of bonuses for certain roles. With some being as high as $6,000.

Was it one of those "you have to stay for 90 days to get the bonus" deals?

Wouldn't a $6k bonus be equivalent to a $3/hr wage increase?

Wendy Pleakley

So the solution is to continue operating with a shortage of labor?

There are ineeed 2 conversations happening in this thread. 1. Is specific to WDW, the other is part of the larger question on what is fair compensation for a full time job.

Some suggest that Disney CM’s are not worthy of higher pay because they are “unskilled” and aren’t smart enough to “get a real job.” It seems to genuinely upset some that Disney may consider paying more.

That seems to be a common theme in these discussions.

Why are so people aghast at the notion of "low skilled" workers not having to live in poverty?

Do people not see how unbalanced things have become? Companies and their owners are wealthier than ever but it has gotten harder and harder for the little guy to make a living.

People who had to work 3 jobs just to survive want others to do the same. Why not advocate for a better system, instead of seemingly objecting from the standpoint of I had to suffer so others should as well.

eliza61nyc

So the solution is to continue operating with a shortage of labor?

There are ineeed 2 conversations happening in this thread. 1. Is specific to WDW, the other is part of the larger question on what is fair compensation for a full time job.

Some suggest that Disney CM’s are not worthy of higher pay because they are “unskilled” and aren’t smart enough to “get a real job.” It seems to genuinely upset some that Disney may consider paying more.
Okay so let me say, for me it's never been a question of worth nor intelligence. I do believe in what I call evaluating the current situation.
Now for whatever reason, in this country we do assess different values to different jobs. That's not new nor is it especially outrageous. It's only recently has this concept of if you work a certain number of hours you should be able to afford a "comfortable" life.
Certain jobs society has determined to be entry level, low paying jobs. Doesn't matter if it's for a company with a gazillion dollars in profit or the local Joe. For example a cashier. No matter who you worked for that job has always been at the bottom of the payscale.
As another example, my youngest son started his work life pumping gas for BP. REGARDLESS to whether or not a huge oil company has the resources to pay more is moot, it is unrealistic and not real smart to think that you will live well in a major city pumping gas.

Vegas Disney Fan

Why not advocate for a better system, instead of seemingly objecting from the standpoint of I had to suffer so others should as well.
We have advocated for a better system, but that system has to start with housing (the actual problem), not wages.

Raising wages does nothing to solve the rent problem because there’s a shortage and as demand goes up so does rent. Next year wages will need to go up again, which will raise rent again, so the year after wages will need to go up again, which will raise rent again.

Raising wages to fix a housing shortage is like a dog chasing his own tail.

The result is never ending inflation so everyone (who isn’t getting the minimum wage increases every year) is getting poorer every year.

Wendy Pleakley

We have advocated for a better system, but that system has to start with housing (the actual problem), not wages.

Raising wages does nothing to solve the rent problem because there’s a shortage and as demand goes up so does rent. Next year wages will need to go up again, which will raise rent again, so the year after wages will need to go up again, which will raise rent again.

The result is never ending inflation so everyone (who isn’t getting the minimum wage increases every year) is getting poorer every year.

Are the people opposed to wage hikes actually looking at housing though?

I'm all for housing to stop being a revenue source. It's harder to find housing because people are competing with people buying second or third homes to generate rental income.

But are these not the same people who can afford to invest money in businesses like Disney? The people who want to make more and more money from their Disney stock even if cast members can't afford food are surely not going to be in favour of changing the housing market in that manner?

TrainsOfDisney

Isn't it though? What operating costs at a theme park are greater than labor?
The concern is adding more labor (because you just opened a major expansion) and not seeing additional guests to offset that expense. It seems that has worked out since Disneyland Park continues to add and not replace attractions (runaway railway being the most recent example).

That’s different than a board member or shareholder officially asking why the hourly wage went up a few dollars.

eliza61nyc

That seems to be a common theme in these discussions.

Why are so people aghast at the notion of "low skilled" workers not having to live in poverty?

Do people not see how unbalanced things have become? Companies and their owners are wealthier than ever but it has gotten harder and harder for the little guy to make a living.

People who had to work 3 jobs just to survive want others to do the same. Why not advocate for a better system, instead of seemingly objecting from the standpoint of I had to suffer so others should as well.

I'm not aghast at it at all, and i do hope they make out well. personally I'm pretty proud that my temporary suffering allowed me to achieve a better life but I also don't adhere to the fact that just showing automatically qualifies you for a easy life.

We use to have a great system where people said "What do I have to do to get ahead".
Now we have a system that says "hey I'm here, you owe me the life I deserve "

Wendy Pleakley

I'm not aghast at it at all, and i do hope they make out well. personally I'm pretty proud that my temporary suffering allowed me to achieve a better life but I also don't adhere to the fact that just showing automatically qualifies you for a easy life.

We use to have a great system where people said "What do I have to do to get ahead".
Now we have a system that says "hey I'm here, you owe me the life I deserve "

Most people want to get ahead and will work towards that.

It's an exaggeration and/or a mischaracterization that people in a minimum wage job don't want to do that.

I see working to "get ahead" as pursuing the dream of visiting WDW or buying DVC points or whatever. Suggesting that people who fill those "low skilled" positions that are very much necessary for society, shouldn't struggle just to meet their basic needs, does not preclude this.

eliza61nyc

💯 and we see that from the negotiations just 3 years ago , just 3 years ago 15/hr was the holy grail. Well now of course it's 25/hr.
What I find really interesting is that it seems low wage jobs seem to be the only ones who feel that they shouldn't have to do anything to advanced.
My job, you want a significant jump in pay, you move to another position, you go back to school etc.

So I'm going to end with I wish both sides good luck in their negotiations

el_super

The concern is adding more labor (because you just opened a major expansion) and not seeing additional guests to offset that expense. It seems that has worked out since Disneyland Park continues to add and not replace attractions (runaway railway being the most recent example).

Not just the labor but the labor expense. Which is exactly what a wage increase would do: increase labor costs without a corresponding increase in revenue. That's when your operating expenses go up, your revenue stays relatively flat and the margins start to be impacted. Those changes are absolutely noticed.

That’s different than a board member or shareholder officially asking why the hourly wage went up a few dollars.

It's most likely true that they would not be too concerned with a small increase in labor cost. It's probably expected. Flash forward a few months from now and I think it's safe to assume that the union will sign a new agreement with a small modest increase in wages that will most likely be a wage reduction considering inflation.

But overall, it is still something that the company has to consider. Last year we had that really awkward question about food prices and inflationary pressure, so it is not out of line to think increased labor cost would be too small to notice. If there are noticible increases in operating costs, Disney will need to acknowledge and react. To combat that Disney would need to take one of two paths: reduce operating costs in other areas or increase revenue to compensate.

TrainsOfDisney

Now for whatever reason, in this country we do assess different values to different jobs. That's not new nor is it especially outrageous.
Well naturally there will be different values for different jobs. Nobody has said otherwise.

The stage manager at Frozen Live will make more than the usher at frozen live and the equity actors at frozen live will make even more.

TrainsOfDisney

I also don't adhere to the fact that just showing automatically qualifies you for a easy life.
Who said that? First of all, very few CM’s “just show” - the vast majority of them are extremely hard working and genuinely great at their jobs. I think we all agree on that right? That’s why we like Disney!

That’s why it’s shocking when I run into rude or grumpy CM’s, it’s so outside of the norm that it’s extra noticeable. They do a great job. They show up, work hard, and provide good service.

But I mean… yes if you show up and do your job you should be fairly paid for your time. That seems like such a basic concept. I don’t understand why we don’t want everyone to be fairly compensated.

“But what is fair!!??” - I know that’s the question and that’s subjective. To me… a full time job should pay at least $40k. That’s $19.22 an hour.

Vegas Disney Fan

💯 and we see that from the negotiations just 3 years ago , just 3 years ago 15/hr was the holy grail. Well now of course it's 25/hr.
What I find really interesting is that it seems low wage jobs seem to be the only ones who feel that they shouldn't have to do anything to advanced.
My job, you want a significant jump in pay, you move to another position, you go back to school etc.

So I'm going to end with I wish both sides good luck in their negotiations

As someone who’s approaching retirement age my biggest worry is inflation, I make good money and have saved for retirement for the last 20 years… despite that my comfortable retirement isn’t looking so comfortable anymore. Housing prices, inflation, and homelessness are out of control in this country and our “solutions” are just making all of them worse. Just throw money at all of them, ignore the actual housing crisis, the zoning issues, the permitting issues, the insurance issues, etc and then act surprised when the solutions just raise prices and create new problems.

I’d like to retire in Florida and am shocked every time I look at houses online, I make close to 6 figures and if I didn’t already own a home with several hundred thousand in equity I’d never be able to afford a home in Florida. The same is true of Utah, Colorado, Montana, and several other states I’ve looked at retiring in.

With prices what they are minimum wage being $15, $20, or $25 is largely irrelevant because none of those buys a $500k+ home or the $2500+ rent that comes with those price points.

We need millions of townhomes, duplexes, and fourplexes… not another dollar an hour that will just increase prices more. That requires zoning changes though and so far no states seem willing to make that simple change that would actually address the problem.

eliza61nyc

Who said that? First of all, very few CM’s “just show” - the vast majority of them are extremely hard working and genuinely great at their jobs. I think we all agree on that right? That’s why we like Disney!

That’s why it’s shocking when I run into rude or grumpy CM’s, it’s so outside of the norm that it’s extra noticeable. They do a great job. They show up, work hard, and provide good service.

But I mean… yes if you show up and do your job you should be fairly paid for your time. That seems like such a basic concept. I don’t understand why we don’t want everyone to be fairly compensated.

“But what is fair!!??” - I know that’s the question and that’s subjective. To me… a full time job should pay at least $40k. That’s $19.22 an hour.

Cool, quick question so lets everyone gets 19.22 and in 3 years if they now need 25 to have the same buying power do they automatically get that increase??

And if Orlando rents next year increase 10-12% does everyone automatically get another raise??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom