News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Smiley/OCD

It's not really about "Disney ", in itself. There was a time when entry level jobs were just that, entry level. They were usually held by young adults and teenagers . Every kid got a fast food job while working towards something else. Young adults waitresses, worked retail etc while realizing that these were not careers you could raise a family on, you never could buy a house on a gas station attendance job so they all really were jobs you had until you found something better.
As I said, my brother was a McDonald's/operator, he told his workers all the time, "if you are here more than 6 years something is wrong"

I know 2 ladies who's kids went through the college program at wdw, both understood implicitly that again this was a college program.
It's the same reason why we tell kids not to go to college and get a basket weaving degree.

So I would say be truthful and realistic if you work at minnimum wage job, not just at Disney, at my old company Dow, Dupont, a a retail giant Walmart, Macy's, at a fast food chain. Anywhere and you stay there 10, 14 ,20 years. It's going to be a financial struggle.
Why is being truthful such a foreign concept

My youngest son loves live music, he goes all over the country going to indie music fest, rap concerts etc. So yes we straight up told him, no you can't pump gas forever get an apartment, have a wife and kids and travel on 12/hr. He didn't demand that wawa pay him a living wage , in Philly are you serious?? He went to Temple, finished and got a better position!! Was it easy?? He'll no, was it better than expecting wawa to pay him a living wage?? Absolutely
My good friend’s son bounced around jobs while in college…started pumping gas at Wawa, liked the company, and in about 5 years is now supervising a crew of people who travel the east coast and open the new locations for them. He knew what he wanted, APPLIED himself and now makes more $$ than he thought he would ever make at his age.

Last edited:

Lilofan

My good friend’s son bounced around jobs while in college…started pumping gas at Wawa, liked the company, and in about 5 years is now supervising a crew of people who travel the east coast and open the new locations for them. He knew what he wanted, APPLIED himself and now makes more $$ than he thought he would ever make at his age.
Promotion from within is always good like at WDW with mgrs rising up the food chain.

peter11435

We also have a neighbors daughter that did 3 stints with the DCP and now is a supervisor for them…so yes, you CAN earn a living wage at Disney…IF you apply yourself and be willing to climb the ladder.
But again. Not everyone can do that. You CAN earn a living wage at Disney. But not EVERYONE can earn a living wage at Disney. And Disney’s current business model requires that tens of thousands of people make less than a living wage.

Lilofan

But again. Not everyone can do that. You CAN earn a living wage at Disney. But not EVERYONE can earn a living wage at Disney. And Disney’s current business model requires that tens of thousands of people make less than a living wage.
When I made less than a living wage or whatever some call it I made some life altering decisions which I described before in a previous post to earn more income . Many a times life is challenging but with that presents opportunity. Work ethic or lack thereof when I used to see peers complaining not making enough money but not willing to make changes to increase income.

Last edited:

peter11435

When I made less than a living wage or whatever some call it I made some life altering decisions which I described before in a previous post to earn more income . Many a times life is challenging but with that presents opportunity. Work ethic or lack thereof when I used to see peers complaining not making enough money but not willing to make changes to increase income.
You are (again) missing the point. I’m not talking about individual work ethic and opportunities. Obviously there are opportunities, but they only work for a very small fraction of the people we are talking about. The business model in central Florida requires large segments of the population to be forced into poverty and government subsidization.

dreday3

So what is the living wage currently for Florida? What is everyone really asking for?
For example, living wage in Chicago is (supposedly) $19.29 an hour for a single person.

Our current minimum wage is $15.40. 😲

Lilofan

You are (again) missing the point. I’m not talking about individual work ethic and opportunities. Obviously there are opportunities, but they only work for a very small fraction of the people we are talking about. The business model in central Florida requires large segments of the population to be forced into poverty and government subsidization.
You are making a general statement. The. “ forced “ argument is a loaded one. Want to make more income? , chase opportunities which also means taking risks, thinking out of the box examples.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

You are making a general statement. The. “ forced “ argument is a loaded one. Want to make more income? , chase opportunities which also means taking risks as an example.
Walt Disney World and the greater Orlando tourism market requires tens of thousands of people. That’s a scale of people and the population that cannot be sustained with just transient workers. That’s what you keep missing. If everyone just does what you say then there is simply no Walt Disney World because it can’t operate.

Lilofan

Walt Disney World and the greater Orlando tourism market requires tens of thousands of people. That’s a scale of people and the population that cannot be sustained with just transient workers. That’s what you keep missing. If everyone just does what you say then there is simply no Walt Disney World because it can’t operate.
WDW lowered their grooming standards ( ie open tattoos ) to attract more applicants. I would not be surprised if other grooming standards are relaxed. Idiots that got elected in FL talking about woke Disney must realize that tourism is the number 1 industry that fuels the state and this does not help .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom