News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Smiley/OCD

You are (again) missing the point. I’m not talking about individual work ethic and opportunities. Obviously there are opportunities, but they only work for a very small fraction of the people we are talking about. The business model in central Florida requires large segments of the population to be forced into poverty and government subsidization.
The point YOU’RE missing is that the conditions you’re describing are NOT unique to Florida.
If you ask people in LA, NYC, or any other large city, they have the same concerns, and yet EVERY time you start typing, it’s Florida, it’s Disney…it’s not a uniquely Florida problem.

Lilofan

Why can’t you just suggest they offer better pay? Why is that such a horrible suggestion? Why not get the best instead of lowering standards?
You must know how the game works. During contract time union wants this number, company wants this number. They meet halfway.

peter11435

You are making a general statement. The. “ forced “ argument is a loaded one. Want to make more income? , chase opportunities which also means taking risks, thinking out of the box examples.
Still missing the point I see. Every one of these people not only want to make more income. They need to make more income. There are not enough opportunities to chase for everyone. You are also making a generally statement that is factually impossible to succeed.

If all of those people somehow did manage to find these opportunities then how would Walt disney world function going forward?

Lilofan

Still missing the point I see. Every one of these people not only want to make more income. They need to make more income. There are not enough opportunities to chase for everyone. You are also making a generally statement that is factually impossible to succeed.

If all of those people somehow did manage to find these opportunities then how would Walt disney world function going forward?
Last time I heard that Disney is looking for more bus drivers. I doubt their pay is the same as a starting pay in the theme park operations.

peter11435

The point YOU’RE missing is that the conditions you’re describing are NOT unique to Florida.
If you ask people in LA, NYC, or any other large city, they have the same concerns, and yet EVERY time you start typing, it’s Florida, it’s Disney…it’s not a uniquely Florida problem.
I never said nobody else has this problem. But last time I checked this was a Disney forum, and this thread is about Walt Disney World cast members. Walt Disney World happens to be in Florida. And while other regions also have challenges. A single corporation operating with tens of thousands of employees on a single site that operates a business model requiring them to live in poverty is unique to Florida.

lazyboy97o

Last time I heard that Disney is looking for more bus drivers. I doubt their pay is the same as a starting pay in the theme park operations.
Are you just incapable of addressing the point? This anecdote has already been addressed and you ignored it before. If someone transfers to being a bus driver who’s replacing them? Who is not operating Tower of Terror if those Cast Member all become bus drivers?

Lilofan

Are you just incapable of addressing the point? This anecdote has already been addressed and you ignored it before. If someone transfers to being a bus driver who’s replacing them? Who is not operating Tower of Terror if those Cast Member all become bus drivers?
I’m answering the item where cast are forced into poverty etc and options to improve their income.

peter11435

It’s not. It’s higher than many (not all) theme park roles. But again, it doesn’t scale the way you think it does so it doesn’t solve the problem. They typically operate with over 1000 bus drivers. Maybe they need to hire a couple hundred more. That won’t make a dent in the tens of thousands of employees who need more money. And even if a thousand employees moved into those bus driver roles, now you need to find 1000 new employees who are willing to live in poverty

lazyboy97o

There is better pay offered. One group wants more than the other. Nothing pointless, Bet on grooming standards to be tweaked.
It absolutely is pointless. Nobody here is unfamiliar with how negotiations works. They also have nothing to do with what was being said.

Lilofan

You haven’t actually addressed that at all.
Don’t know what to tell you. If you complain about not making enough money and are unwilling to apply for advertised promotion, unwilling to work OT, second job,unwilling to address current spending and make sacrifices take risks , then I have little sympathy for the person.

lazyboy97o

Don’t know what to tell you. If you complain about not making enough money and are unwilling to apply for advertised promotion, unwilling to work OT, second job,unwilling to address current spending and make sacrifices take risks , then I have little sympathy for the person.
Why do you keep ignoring that Walt Disney World is short staffed? How do they run the rides if everyone does what you suggest?

peter11435

Who said they were unwilling? I assure you many/most of them are willing and are already doing most or all of the things you suggest.
OT is not always available, sometimes cast can’t even get 40 hours. It’s hard to address spending when you’re always unable to afford food, living with roommates, sharing cars, or in some cases living in them and while second jobs are great, how many hours should one have to kill themselves to afford basic essentials.

You’re still missing the point though and refuse to actually respond to it. There are not enough opportunities for all of them. Or even a sizable chunk of them to move into it. And even if there were the model still requires them be replaced with tens of thousands of people still living in poverty.

Last edited:

peter11435

They did by allowing applicants with open tattoos to apply. Pay enough to afford food? A little exaggerating perhaps?
I know they did. I’m asking why you would prefer that over people having a better living situation. Why do you hate cast members?

And I’m not exaggerating at all. I’ve known cast members who have been forced to decide between buying food or paying bills. I’ve known cast members who’ve been forced to survive on a single meal a day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom