News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Vegas Disney Fan

I find it so laughable that the CEO needs a “bonus” of millions to bribe him to actually do his job. But the janitor who is asking for at most $10,000 more per year (a $5 raise based on 40 hour work week) is the problem.

The janitor “agreed to the wage” and so should be happy (aka shut up and comply) but the CEO needs to be bribed to actually stay and do his job well.

Both the janitor AND the CEO agreed to their compensation package before they were hired.

The CEOs bonus isn’t a bribe, it was pre established as a form of compensation if they met certain thresholds.

TrainsOfDisney

Both the janitor AND the CEO agreed to their compensation package before they were hired.

The CEOs bonus isn’t a bribe, it was pre established as a form of compensation if they met certain thresholds.
The CEO’s salary / bonus stays the same year after year?

The “bribe” was in reply to a poster that said the CEO wouldn’t have any motivation to actually do his job without the bribe.

Vegas Disney Fan

The CEO’s salary / bonus stays the same year after year?

The “bribe” was in reply to a poster that said the CEO wouldn’t have any motivation to actually do his job without the bribe.

The bonus is to get the CEO to take the job in the first place. Iger makes something like $2 million a year in guaranteed salary, it’s a ton of money for a normal person but when you factor in there’s only a handful of people in the world that have the experience to run a multi billion dollar company every one of them is in very high demand.

If the only compensation was salary they’d have to offer $20 million a year to secure one of those people, but why pay them upfront when the other option is pay them the same amount only if they meet established criteria? From a business perspective it makes sense.

The reason janitors don’t get the same offer is there’s tens of millions of people who can do that job. The same reason a professional athlete makes so much more than the ticket taker at the stadium. One position consists of a couple dozen qualified applicants worldwide, the other position can be done by literally hundreds of millions of people worldwide.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

The reason janitors don’t get the same offer is there’s tens of millions of people who can do that job. The same reason a professional athlete makes so much more than the ticket taker at the stadium.
That’s not the point I was making at all. I don’t think a janitor should make the same as a CEO and never implied that.

The CEO renegotiates his salary correct? Even after he’s initially been hired?

So why shouldn’t front line workers be able to do the same?

One position consists of a couple dozen qualified applicants worldwide, the other position can be done by literally hundreds of millions of people worldwide.

Surely you know that both of those numbers are highly exaggerated. There are way more than a couple dozen people who are qualified to lead a company (and Chapek wasn’t qualified at all) and there aren’t millions of people who can be a janitor at wdw.

lazyboy97o

The reason janitors don’t get the same offer is there’s tens of millions of people who can do that job. The same reason a professional athlete makes so much more than the ticket taker at the stadium. One position consists of a couple dozen qualified applicants worldwide, the other position can be done by literally hundreds of millions of people worldwide.
Disney literally hired someone with zero experience in what’s supposed to be their important business (media) to be their CEO.

Lilofan

That’s not the point I was making at all. I don’t think a janitor should make the same as a CEO and never implied that.

Surely you know that both of those numbers are highly exaggerated. There are way more than a couple dozen people who are qualified to lead a company (and Chapek wasn’t qualified at all) and there aren’t millions of people who can be a janitor at wdw.
Front line CMs have their union to deal with company in regards to pay.

Lilofan

Who are the " way more qualified " ? And why didn't the Board hire him or her? If that's just a general pipe dream without names then its just a dream.

TrainsOfDisney

Who are the " way more qualified " ? And why didn't the Board hire him or her? If that's just a general pipe dream without names then its just a dream.
I would say anyone who has led a Fortune 500 and / or large media entertainment company is “way more qualified” then someone who has done neither.

There are a few people who have worked up the ranks for decades at Disney that are certainly more qualified than Chapek as well.

To be honest… I’d say the average janitor at WDW that’s been there 5+ years would be more qualified than Chapek but that’s just my opinion. :p

Vegas Disney Fan

Not entirely. It was also about whether they will get or deserve livable wages. I'm sure they will get some type of raise. I'm also sure that whatever they get they will say it's not enough.
You beat me to this, a pay raise is a completely separate issue from a living wage argument.

Everyone who adequately performs their job deserves (at minimum) a cost of living increase every year but that’s a far cry from saying every job in the world should pay enough that an employee can survive alone on it.

In 2018 Disneys internally set minimum wage was $11 an hour, now it’s $15 and they’re offering a path to $20 in the next 5 years, I don’t know anyone who has had their wage nearly double in the last decade (for doing the exact same job they did a decade ago).

Disneys been consistently giving raises recently and their thanks is their employees now want even more. When the rallying cry of $15 was met it instantly shifted to a cry for $20, the second Disney offered a path to $20 the cry changed to $20 now, not in 5 years, the second they get $20 the cry will shift to $25. CMs have been getting raises, Disneys offering even more raises, but it’s never enough.

Vegas Disney Fan

Disney literally hired someone with zero experience in what’s supposed to be their important business (media) to be their CEO.
Which further proves my point of how hard it is to find a qualified person for the top job. Chapek had over 2 decades of experience in leadership positions within Disney and still couldn’t handle the top job, and the applicant pool is so tiny Disney had to go back to their previous CEO because they didn’t have the time to get someone else who is qualified to do it.

lazyboy97o

You beat me to this, a pay raise is a completely separate issue from a living wage argument.

Everyone who adequately performs their job deserves (at minimum) a cost of living increase every year but that’s a far cry from saying every job in the world should pay enough that an employee can survive alone on it.

In 2018 Disneys internally set minimum wage was $11 an hour, now it’s $15 and they’re offering a path to $20 in the next 5 years, I don’t know anyone who has had their wage nearly double in the last decade (for doing the exact same job they did a decade ago).

Disneys been consistently giving raises recently and their thanks is their employees now want even more. When the rallying cry of $15 was met it instantly shifted to a cry for $20, the second Disney offered a path to $20 the cry changed to $20 now, not in 5 years, the second they get $20 the cry will shift to $25. CMs have been getting raises, Disneys offering even more raises, but it’s never enough.
Why are we still ignoring that Disney has lots of jobs that need to be filled and framing this almost exclusively as ungrateful, lazy employees just wanting a handout? And given how fast costs have been escalating in Central Florida, before even the recent inflation, it makes sense that people would like to maintain a very modest standard of living.

Lilofan

You left out the word "successfully."

The Board of Directors made the same mistake.
Very easy and quick to critic the CEO and their compensation package but some fail to see that the Disney Board does the interviewing selection and drawing up the compensation and bonus package of the CEO.

Lilofan

Why are we still ignoring that Disney has lots of jobs that need to be filled and framing this almost exclusively as ungrateful, lazy employees just wanting a handout? And given how fast costs have been escalating in Central Florida, before even the recent inflation, it makes sense that people would like to maintain a very modest standard of living.
Your words not others regarding lazy ( irony your poster name ) but as a previous renter back in the day I made an increase in pay only to see the landlord raise the rent substantially. What I did was eval my expenses , work OT and find my side hustle in another second job instead of complaining about the rising costs. I decided to do something about it. Want to attain modest form of living if the employer not doing much about it? I just shared my story.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Your words not others regarding lazy ( irony your poster name ) but as a previous renter back in the day I made an increase in pay only to see the landlord raise the rent substantially. What I did was eval my expenses , work OT and find my side hustle in another second job instead of complaining about the rising costs. I decided to do something about it. Want to attain modest form of living if the employer not doing much about it? I just shared my story.
You keep going on and on about how the workers need to do something, still ignoring that Disney needs more staff. Why is this so hard to comprehend? Disney needs people. A lot of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom