News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Lilofan

Yes and?

Oh yeah. I've known a few people that lived there and still do - they refuse to give those units up.

There is something. Paying them more.
Knew some that worked in non Disney hotels that were taken off the schedule for a few weeks when no work for them to do. CMs covered by union still worked their guaranteed 32 hrs.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Knew some that worked in non Disney hotels that were taken off the schedule for a few weeks when no work for them to do. CMs covered by union still worked their guaranteed 32 hrs.

Yep. For all of their problems, Union employees still overwhelmingly have better benefits and outearn their non-union counterparts.

Hell, I'm a non-Union employee (bc salary) for a major MAJOR union shop, and because of their union, I have both the cheapest AND best health insurance I've ever had, the highest salary I've ever earned, and the most paid time off I've ever had.

Lilofan

Yep. For all of their problems, Union employees still overwhelmingly have better benefits and outearn their non-union counterparts.

Hell, I'm a non-Union employee (bc salary) for a major MAJOR union shop, and because of their union, I have both the cheapest AND best health insurance I've ever had, the highest salary I've ever earned, and the most paid time off I've ever had.
But if your company profits take a nose dive non union staff may be the first to get laid off. I’ve seen it happen.

dreday3

FYI I made less, and (rightly) got no stimulus. My other siblings however, very much did and aren’t in healthcare and didn’t need it.

Their stimulus money got spent on home repairs and buying a new house.

Well that's great for your family?

In my immediate circle - many of us had our finances negatively impacted by Covid, some close to me lost work for almost a year. So no, most people did not make more money during 2020 and 2021.

Touchdown

Well that's great for your family?

In my immediate circle - many of us had our finances negatively impacted by Covid, some close to me lost work for almost a year. So no, most people did not make more money during 2020 and 2021.
I specifically stated that unemployed people needed that money and used it for needs. This stimulus didn’t just go to them though, and we are dealing with the consequences of that now. I guess I’m not sure why we are arguing, I’m guessing you didn’t like my assertion that this stimulus went to a lot of people who didn’t need it? If you don’t think that’s true then how do you explain the sticky inflation seen over the last year?

And I’ll state it again, despite my belief the stimulus went to people who didn’t need it, doesn’t mean it also went to people who did, nor does my criticism of it mean I did no support it happening at the time and with hindsight would support it again.

dreday3

I specifically stated that unemployed people needed that money and used it for needs. This stimulus didn’t just go to them though, and we are dealing with the consequences of that now. I guess I’m not sure why we are arguing, I’m guessing you didn’t like my assertion that this stimulus went to a lot of people who didn’t need it? If you don’t think that’s true then how do you explain the sticky inflation seen over the last year?

And I’ll state it again, despite my belief the stimulus went to people who didn’t need it, doesn’t mean it also went to people who did, nor does my criticism of it mean I did no support it happening at the time and with hindsight would support it again.

You said this - Are you of the belief that middle and upper salaries haven’t increased? Just look at what happened this year. Practically everyone extra money in 2020 and 2021 - and I'm simply telling you, that's not true. I made less in 2020 and 2021 due to having a pretty big pay-cut. I'm now back at what I was making in 2020 pre-covid. And I'm far from being alone in this situation.

Touchdown

96CF3976-BE18-40DB-8DD2-927798F17BBD.jpeg

Here let’s stop arguing about personal experiences. Wages have skyrocketed since the pandemic. That’s a fact.

dreday3

View attachment 688526

Here let’s stop arguing about personal experiences. Wages have skyrocketed since the pandemic. That’s a fact.

Is that new job growth with new wages or people in their regular jobs suddenly got huge pay increases? Also, that looks like it happened this year, correct?

All I can tell you is that is not my (or literally anyone I know) experience. Perhaps I run with the "poors" though.

Touchdown

Is that new job growth with new wages or people in their regular jobs suddenly got huge pay increases?

All I can tell you is that is not my (or literally anyone I know) experience. Perhaps I run with the "poors" though.

The Atlanta Fed's Wage Growth Tracker is a measure of the nominal wage growth of individuals. It is constructed using microdata from the Current Population Survey (CPS), and is the median percent change in the hourly wage of individuals observed 12 months apart. Our measure is based on methodology developed by colleagues at the San Francisco Fed.

The Wage Growth Tracker is updated once the Atlanta Fed's CPS dataset is constructed (see the "Explore the Data" tab below). This is usually by the second Friday of the month. The exact timing depends on when the Bureau of the Census publishes the micro data from the CPS.”

In my link, it’s all wages.

TrainsOfDisney

Is that new job growth with new wages or people in their regular jobs suddenly got huge pay increases?

It’s definitely been the case for me - I made way more this year without even trying. Next year I’m actually going to try :p

dreday3

I guess healthcare isn't the place to work then. I don't even think we are getting 3% merit increases this year, down to 2%.

Enjoy your wealth everyone! I'll just be here eating some pretzels. ;)

I should edit this - I am obviously doing well, we are going to Disney next year. But I'm going to attribute all of that to the fact that I picked up a part-time remote job that I work every day of the week -after my day job and on Saturday/Sunday mornings.
I am EXTREMELY grateful (everyday in fact) to have gotten this extra job as it really helped pick us up during a time of job loss/pay-cuts and now is affording us the ability to save money and travel simultaneously.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

When people aren't making as much money, whether by hours reduction or loss of a job -- or even the current inflation -- they don't have much to spend over buying bare necessities*. When people don't buy, stores close. Suppliers who used to sell to stores close. Truckers that used to deliver to the suppliers lose routes. Manufacturers who used to make the products sold in the stores don't make as much, so they lay off employees, who can no longer shop in the local stores, which then close...
When people are making more money, because they are being adequately paid for the work they do or otherwise, they have more to spend over buying bare necessities. When people buy more, stores stay open, truckers keep routes. Manufacturers stay in business and maybe even hire more people who can now shop even more!

Ayla

I guess healthcare isn't the place to work then. I don't even think we are getting 3% merit increases this year, down to 2%.

I should edit this - I am obviously doing well, we are going to Disney next year. But I'm going to attribute all of that to the fact that I picked up a part-time remote job that I work every day of the week -after my day job and on Saturday/Sunday mornings.
I am EXTREMELY grateful (everyday in fact) to have gotten this extra job as it really helped pick us up during a time of job loss/pay-cuts and now is affording us the ability to save money and travel simultaneously.
I'm sorry. My sister is an ID RN and she hasn't gotten a raise, either, other than COLA.

My DH, who has worked for over 20 years for a family-owned company that now has 2,000+employees, has received an 8-15% raise every single year he's worked there.

I don't understand why healthcare workers get screwed on wages-even before Covid.

JMcMahonEsq

OK. Can you cite a couple?

I'm questioning your assertion that it's due to increases in lower-paid jobs. You have any citations for this?
There was a pretty thorough CBO Study back in 2019 on this issue.
There were a couple studies done during the lead up to California passing the FAST Recovery Act. All of those are publicly available.

I know the Ma teachers union have done studies on it as well although I don't know if those have been published publicly. I also know privately there are several NY Medical Tech unions that are using data from this to support an increase in their wages during the next CBA negotiation next year.

Lilofan

A relative that does important work as an RN earning $90K per year working 3 days a week.

el_super

The prices at Disney parks have continued to clime with no connection to workers wages so i believe the prices will go up either way.

They have a financial obligation to maximize prices. Prices are set based on a complex relationship between what people are willing to pay and how many people they want in the parks. Raising prices just to pay for wage increases isn't impossible, but it does complicate the relationship they have with their guests, who generally see price increases as an unforgivable wrong foisted upon them.

The flip side to this is, if they decided to give wage increases without necessarily raising prices, they end up giving away money that could be going to their investors. Investors losing money is also an unforgivable wrong.

It's really complicated to play all three sides and come to decisions and policies that benefit all three at the same time.

Vegas Disney Fan

And prices go up.

Which is the real reason large minimum wage increases scare a ton of middle class people.

If minimum wage goes up 30% it’ll bump up middle class wages but nowhere near 30%, probably closer to 5-10%, meanwhile the rich will bump up prices to cover labor costs and they’ll also bump up prices as demand suddenly goes up. So the poor get less poor, the middle class get more poor, and the rich stay rich.

And.. if new apartments aren’t being built they’ll just raise the rent because there’s now more demand, the people that couldn’t afford an $1800 apt because they made $15 an hour still won’t be able to afford that apt because it’ll now be $2400… and they’ll start demanding $30 an hour.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom