News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Touchdown

Which is the real reason large minimum wage increases scare a ton of middle class people.

If minimum wage goes up 30% it’ll bump up middle class wages but nowhere near 30%, probably closer to 5-10%, meanwhile the rich will bump up prices to cover labor costs and they’ll also bump up prices as demand suddenly goes up. So the poor get less poor, the middle class get more poor, and the rich stay rich.
And all this is ultimately meaningless for the poor because they are still in the same position. Which is why we need to do something else to fix this, like housing.

I’ll be here all week.

Vegas Disney Fan

And all this is ultimately meaningless for the poor because they are still in the same position. Which is why we need to do something else to fix this, like housing.

I’ll be here all week.

It’s putting the cart before the horse, until there’s more housing it makes no difference what we pay people because there still won’t be enough housing for everyone.

The only difference it will make is who is homeless. If you’re the formerly homeless CM who now lives in apartment 1A it’s great but if you are the newly homeless person who used to live in 1A and cant afford it anymore it’s horrible.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
But if your company profits take a nose dive non union staff may be the first to get laid off. I’ve seen it happen.
Possibly. But they'll likely lay off those who have been there longer and earn more than me.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It’s putting the cart before the horse, until there’s more housing it makes no difference what we pay people because there still won’t be enough housing for everyone.
There's plenty of housing! We just need to be a little less picky about how much space we have, and who we share it with...
1672353355205.png

lazyboy97o

There's plenty of housing! We just need to be a little less picky about how much space we have, and who we share it with...
View attachment 688605
You jest, but a whole variety of housing types that used to exist are illegal across the US. Is a new subdivision of 3,500 SF McMansions really going to be overrun with crime if a few of those houses are actually duplexes, triplexes or quads? Or if people can walk to the local school and grocery store?

Vegas Disney Fan

You jest, but a whole variety of housing types that used to exist are illegal across the US. Is a new subdivision of 3,500 SF McMansions really going to be overrun with crime if a few of those houses are actually duplexes, triplexes or quads? Or if people can walk to the local school and grocery store?
There’s some great videos on YouTube about how the vast majority of land in American cities is zoned for single family homes only and how that contributes to the housing shortage (and budget shortages), it’s also ironic that those issues and NIMBY issues mirror each other whether in the most liberal or most conservative areas.

Everyone wants a solution to high prices and homelessness but no one wants that solution to be anywhere near their own home.

TrainsOfDisney

The flip side to this is, if they decided to give wage increases without necessarily raising prices, they end up giving away money that could be going to their investors. Investors losing money is also an unforgivable wrong.
They seem to have a few million leftover to give as a bonus to the CEO each year. Isn’t that money that could be going to their investors?

lazyboy97o

They seem to have a few million leftover to give as a bonus to the CEO each year. Isn’t that money that could be going to their investors?
Funny how it’s okay to spend the money on paying certain people and not others. The problem isn’t the cost. Wall St. would hate Disney paying too well and maintaining financial performance because people would get the idea that other companies could do the same.

el_super

Is there any evidence that the CEO would leave his agreed and signed term if he wasn’t given large bonuses?

I think the idea is that bonuses are supposed to be tied to performance. So the question is, would a CEO be motivated to ensure shareholder value if not for the bonuses? I'm sure some would and some would not.

And isn’t it also in the investors best interest to have theme parks fully staffed and to lower turnover rate?

To a point. If staffing is too expensive and you lose money bringing on more staff or raising wages, it's probably not worth it.

Disney absolutely has the responsibility of paying the least amount in wages possible.

TrainsOfDisney

So the question is, would a CEO be motivated to ensure shareholder value if not for the bonuses?
If the CEO is not ensuring shareholder value he is not doing his job and would be removed. Much like what literally JUST happened.

Disney absolutely has the responsibility of paying the least amount in wages possible.

Then they need to lower the wages of the top executives who are most certainly overpaid for their current performance.

TrainsOfDisney

I find it so laughable that the CEO needs a “bonus” of millions to bribe him to actually do his job. But the janitor who is asking for at most $10,000 more per year (a $5 raise based on 40 hour work week) is the problem.

The janitor “agreed to the wage” and so should be happy (aka shut up and comply) but the CEO needs to be bribed to actually stay and do his job well.

fgmnt

I can't remember if I brought this up in another thread, but a problem looming in Central Florida and the state as a whole is how every email job dork moving down there to take advantage of income tax laws and live out their vacation on the weekends dreams siphons off resources for the labor pool that enables their weekend vacations. Related, every new person who brings a car into Central Florida for their lifestyle and livelihood is another albatross hanging on the bottlenecks of the car-dependent infrastructure and labyrinthine land use of the area. Not like you can have a decent livelihood in Orlando without being withing 1 degree of car ownership too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom