News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So $30k per year is “fair” but $40k is beyond what they need or deserve? Interesting logic.
What's "fair" is pay that will induce them to stay at WDW instead of going up the road, or working at Publix/Wal-Mart/Walgreens/etc, and not one penny more.

Unless, of course, you want the government to mandate a "living wage," at which point just about everything relying on disposable income disappears, 'cause there won't be any.

Corporations are not in business to serve as proxy welfare systems.

Lilofan

That you’re scared of the poors says so much.
Try venturing into the Pine Hills area ( ie Crime Hills ) a few miles from Universal Orlando or Tangelo Park adjacent to tourist central International Drive and you will need your guard up venturing into these crime ridden poor areas .

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You think $15,000 a year is adequate compensation for a full time job?
Not for me, but if you take the job at that pay rate, you do... nobody's forcing you to take that job.

And in reality, anybody working at $7.25 qualifies for and is likely using government social programs that make up for a good chunk of wage they're not making -- ADC, WIC, Medicaid, subsidized housing, etc.

Thank you, taxpayers and a very generous Washington.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I took a peek at current 1br/1ba listings in Haines City. Due to the propensity of ads being left on long after they unit has been filled, I only looked at openings in the past 7 days.

There's nothing.

So if you know someone there who was already there, they're very lucky. There's no 1BR/1BA availables if you need a place to live now.
Time to build a 300-unit one-bedroom apartment block in Haines City!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
You're right, they're not.

But if they don't pay enough for their workers to live off of, their workers will go elsewhere.

Disney's already short staffed enough, and there's plenty of non-Disney service industry work available in Central Florida who will jump at the chance to poach ex-CMs.

mkt

Premium Member
Not for me, but if you take the job at that pay rate, you do... nobody's forcing you to take that job.

And in reality, anybody working at $7.25 qualifies for and is likely using government social programs that make up for a good chunk of wage they're not making -- ADC, WIC, Medicaid, subsidized housing, etc.

Thank you, taxpayers and a very generous Washington.

Good luck with that. The vast majority of landlords in Central Florida will not accept Section 8 vouchers, and the waitlist for subsidized housing in Central Florida is years long.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

But if they don't pay enough for their workers to live off of, their workers will go elsewhere.

Disney's already short staffed enough, and there's plenty of non-Disney service industry work available in Central Florida who will jump at the chance to poach ex-CMs.
So I repeat:
What's "fair" is pay that will induce them to stay at WDW instead of going up the road, or working at Publix/Wal-Mart/Walgreens/etc, and not one penny more.

Disstevefan1

Why should they be? If Disney pays below market wages, they'll continue to have staffing issues. If they continue to have staffing issues, their bottom line will suffer more than it would if they were to pony up an extra buck or two an hour.

Hell, let's do the math.

75k CM's - assuming they ALL get a $2/hr raise and they all work every day. That's an extra $150k in operating expenses daily. About $55 million per year.

The most recent numbers I've seen shown 12.7 million guests visiting WDW. That's an extra $4.50 in revenue needed per guest - not $4.50 per day: $4.50 total. Most guest will not feel that. A few cents here and there to adjust it is more than enough to get there without affecting Disney's bottom line. Hell, this could improve it given that a raise will likely cause more people to apply, helping out Disney's staffing shortage, and ultimately reducing overtime pay (which can be time and a half or double time), which will save Disney money.

But Disney doesn't look that far, or think that deeply.
Their union rep should simply copy and paste this post into their argument.

Sadly, this is too logical, too perfect an argument. They will never go for it.

Touchdown

Just have to say - no, practically everyone did NOT make extra money in 2020 and 2021. Specifically non-clinical healthcare workers.

Ask me about it. :)
FYI I made less, and (rightly) got no stimulus. My other siblings however, very much did and aren’t in healthcare and didn’t need it.

Their stimulus money got spent on home repairs and buying a new house.

Lilofan

And when business takes a downturn these non union non Disney service companies limit hours work to their staff to near nothing. Cast members on the other hand are guaranteed their 32 hours per week.

Lilofan

Good luck with that. The vast majority of landlords in Central Florida will not accept Section 8 vouchers, and the waitlist for subsidized housing in Central Florida is years long.
The low income apts on Reams road behind MK has a wait list years long also.

TrainsOfDisney

Unless, of course, you want the government to mandate a "living wage," at which point just about everything relying on disposable income disappears, 'cause there won't be any.

Why do you think corporations should profit and we the taxpayers should subsidize the minimum wage workers?

Why does everything relying on disposable income disappear because Disney pays CM’s $25 an hour?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So Disney needs to decide: be a cheap boss and remain short-staffed, or pay up and have their staffing levels improve.
Either that or come up with some other way to induce workers to show up over time. Stock incentives? Service-based DVC points? Additional subsidized housing? Car allowances? One free meal per day?

I dunno -- there must be something.

TrainsOfDisney

Either that or come up with some other way to induce workers to show up over time. Stock incentives? Service-based DVC points? Additional subsidized housing? Car allowances? One free meal per day?

So you’re ok with Disney spending more money to get CM’s - you’re just against them actually paying the CM’s more money?

mkt

Premium Member
Their union rep should simply copy and paste this post into their argument.

Sadly, this is too logical, too perfect an argument. They will never go for it.

I went to High School with the president of the local AFL-CIO and Unite Here. They know the math.

mkt

Premium Member
And when business takes a downturn these non union non Disney service companies limit hours work to their staff to near nothing. Cast members on the other hand are guaranteed their 32 hours per week.
Yes and?

The low income apts on Reams road behind MK has a wait list years long also.
Oh yeah. I've known a few people that lived there and still do - they refuse to give those units up.

There is something. Paying them more.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Why do you think corporations should profit and we the taxpayers should subsidize the minimum wage workers?
If people wouldn't work for the lower wages, companies would have to pay more. I know it's more complex than that, but how often do you read about towns and cities that now regret the sweetheart deals they made with big box stores, now that their downtown and other retail areas are empty or full of vape and cell phone stores?
Why does everything relying on disposable income disappear because Disney pays CM’s $25 an hour?
Mandatory living wage does not affect just Disney... it's EVERYbody. In addition to raising prices, corporations have a nasty habit of adjusting workforces to compensate for government-mandated expenses. Usually, that involves reducing headcount and/or converting full-time staff numbers to part time without benefits.

For some, wages just don't shrink -- they disappear entirely. As an example, I'm looking at you, McDonald's, and your app/automated ordering kiosks. I don't have a number, but I wonder how many positions per store were eliminated by rolling out online ordering and kiosks in the stores that installed them... obviously, this example does NOT apply to Chick-Fil-A...

When people aren't making as much money, whether by hours reduction or loss of a job -- or even the current inflation -- they don't have much to spend over buying bare necessities*. When people don't buy, stores close. Suppliers who used to sell to stores close. Truckers that used to deliver to the suppliers lose routes. Manufacturers who used to make the products sold in the stores don't make as much, so they lay off employees, who can no longer shop in the local stores, which then close...

Depressing, isn't it? Or, should I say "depression..."?

So you’re ok with Disney spending more money to get CM’s - you’re just against them actually paying the CM’s more money?
No. Let me repeat, again:
If Disney doesn't want to spend more money to pay employees, they'll have to up the value proposition of working for them. Some people will accept other inducements besides money, you know. Imagine a program that would offer 10 DVC points per year to eligible employees. After 20 years, they'd have enough points to enjoy a minimal DVC vacation every year thereafter. Or stock incentives, well known throughout the corporate world to induce employees to take lower initial salaries on the promise of rising stock prices over time...

e8118b04e24db278391b83d05824abd5.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom