News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Lilofan

It's absolutely a bigger problem.

There's a major shortage of affordable housing in Central Florida, and major competition for what's available.
I can tell you if " affordable housing apts" gets zoned to be built near my home area in my state I will be banding together with the other homeowners not to make it reality. Tell me how your home property values will be if it happens in your neck of the woods. I've heard the same feedback -" I'm for affordable housing for ones that need it , just don't build it near my neighborhood. "

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I can tell you if " affordable housing apts" gets zoned to be built near my home area in my state I will be banding together with the other homeowners not to make it reality. Tell me how your home property values will be if it happens in your neck of the woods. I've heard the same feedback -" I'm for affordable housing for ones that need it , just don't build it near my neighborhood. "

No idea. I'm a renter.

Even with two six figure salaries in my household, a hell of a down payment, and perfect credit, we're still priced out of a 4/2+ zoned for good schools in Central Florida. It's literally cheaper for us to rent at market prices, which while expensive for most service industry workers, aren't horrible for us. Right now, Orlando prices zoned for good schools seem comparable to pre-covid Brickell Miami prices.

lentesta

Premium Member
75k CM's - assuming they ALL get a $2/hr raise and they all work every day. That's an extra $150k in operating expenses daily. About $55 million per year.

True. Parks rev was $28B last year, so a 2% increase in park rev would more than cover this. And as you note, that’s a substantial raise.

My $4.50 soda now costs $4.59. I’m okay with this.

I think people hear “$55 million” and think it’s an outrageous amount of money. And it is a lot of money. But it’s tiny compared to $28 billion.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Nobody is whining - I am stating the fact that in my opinion anyone working a full time job should be adequately compensated for their time.

A full time job should pay enough for someone to live comfortably. ($40-50k) as a minnimum.
Teachers don’t even make $50K right out of the gate in central Florida, fyi.

Touchdown

While I commend you all for stating low paying jobs should all get raises, you do realize there are effects to that right? When lower skilled jobs get paid more, higher skilled jobs demand more pay (and typically get it.). When people get paid more they typically spend more, increasing demand for goods. This causes the cost of those goods, ie inflation.

This economic stuff is really complex, and can’t be reduced to a bumper sticker slogan.

That said, its wrong that Disney pays less then comparable jobs in the area.

Lilofan

While I commend you all for stating low paying jobs should all get raises, you do realize there are effects to that right? When lower skilled jobs get paid more, higher skilled jobs demand more pay (and typically get it.). When people get paid more they typically spend more, increasing demand for goods. This causes the cost of those goods, ie inflation.

This economic stuff is really complex, and can’t be reduced to a bumper sticker slogan.

What comparable jobs? To Sea World and Uni?

eliza61nyc

Yes. Also for jobs that are the same at other employers (other hotels, restaurants, etc.)
My understanding (and that has just been from googling, I've never work there) is Disney pays a bit higher (1% according to a few sites)

Has anyone heard exactly what the union is asking for?

Touchdown

Disney pays less than Uni and SW starting wage ? That's interesting. BTW, Hotels with non union staff can cut staff hours down to almost nothing.
People stated that they did, I have no idea if that’s true. Also, before accusing me of being heartless, I personally would support (and believe it would help these people more) the following plans:

-Increasing low cost housing in the area. However NIMBYs exist, and more importantly they are right, this will decrease the value of their homes. I counter that that value was artificially created by a shortage of low cost housing and that ultimately the community would benefit from evenly spread out low income housing. The fact this on a macro level is income neutral is how this doesn’t cause inflation.

-Somehow causing increased retirement saving by all. Americans are woefully unprepared for this as a whole, and it’s going to cost us tremendously as we finally get to the point where most retirees don’t have a pension. Whether this comes via increased govt programs, or privately (increased company matching) I don’t really care.

There something to help now and something to help later. If you want to call me paternalistic fine, I’ll accept that. Just so long as all of you calling for blanket wage increases accept that your want will cause inflation.

Lilofan

People stated that they did, I have no idea if that’s true. Also, before accusing me of being heartless, I personally would support (and believe it would help these people more) the following plans:

-Increasing low cost housing in the area. However NIMBYs exist, and more importantly they are right, this will decrease the value of their homes. I counter that that value was artificially created by a shortage of low cost housing and that ultimately the community would benefit from evenly spread out low income housing. The fact this on a macro level is income neutral is how this doesn’t cause inflation.

-Somehow causing increased retirement saving by all. Americans are woefully unprepared for this as a whole, and it’s going to cost us tremendously as we finally get to the point where most retirees don’t have a pension. Whether this comes via increased govt programs, or privately (increased company matching) I don’t really care.

There something to help now and something to help later. If you want to call me paternalistic fine, I’ll accept that. Just so long as all of you calling for blanket wage increases accept that your want will cause inflation.
You think homeowners are going to be thrilled with low cost housing coming into their neighborhood? Heck no and there could be a fight to not let that happen.

Disone

My understanding (and that has just been from googling, I've never work there) is Disney pays a bit higher (1% according to a few sites)

Has anyone heard exactly what the union is asking for?
Disney is about the same or higher then comparable jobs in the area. You may have noticed that the union is not arguing this point. I'm sure that if Disney was paying less the Union woud be doing so in a heart beat.

I believe the union is asking for $20 an hour starting pay across the board. Disney is willing to go there but not for the start of the contract. They want to build to that number adding incrementally to the starting wages so that it reaches $20 an hour by the end of the contract.

Edit: here is some reporting in what the two sides are asking for.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom