News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

flynnibus

Premium Member
Right. But you have to pay them enough that they can prove themselves and learn the job well enough to take on that bigger role.
Ehh.. that's a different direction and not what was being responded to. Trains said
"That’s how the concept of raises work, employees are rewarded if they do a good job and stay loyal to a company. Each year on the job you learn to do a better job in your role and that makes you more efficient."

And I pointed out that 'better jon in your role' does not have infinite growth and hence does not support infinite raises. Ultimately to continue to grow, if you are in an entry level position you role will have to grow. And yes, with that growth, you should expect more pay. But you can't argue that a popcorn seller keeps getting better every year. No, their value hits a ceiling and no matter how good the employee is, they can't do more than what the job is. Growth in compensation will also require growth in your role.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So you disagree with a company providing yearly raises? That’s fairly standard.
I'll repeat myself from earlier in the thread

DO NOT CONFUSE COLA RAISES WITH MERIT RAISES

COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) raises do not get you ahead - they are intended to adjust your pay along with inflationary movements. The result... If you take a job in 2010 as the lowest paying job around... and get yearly COLA adjustments.. in 2020.. you'd still be the lowest paying job around and have no greater buying power or advancement then you start with.

COLA is not raises! COLA is just trying to keep up. And in the context of Disney's pay, there already get those kinds of pay bumps in every contract. But if your goal is to get COLA and survive on that forever. You're a sucker.

MR.Dis

I am an old coot, and can tell you I had an unskilled job to put myself thru college so I could do better. My parents did not have any money and did not so much as give me a dime for my education. I have 2 daughters who worked as waitresses to earn money for college, they both agree the best thing about being waitress was realizing that is not what they wanted to do with the rest of their life. So one graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering and the other is a NICU nurse. So, I have the utmost respect for anyone who has to do the unskilled labor at Disney. It is often not easy nor particularly glamorous. One of the benefits Disney provides is financial help for those going to local college. So if someone whats more than the union wages, take advantage to move up.

eliza61nyc

I feel like any full time job (asking for full time work) should be paid fairly. That doesn’t mean you get paid “just for showing up” - Bob Iger doesn’t get 40 million just for showing up. He has to do his job to get that. Same with a day 1 cast member.

You agree that these jobs are “crappy” because of the pay correct? “But we as society says that someone who is unskilled doesn’t deserve more pay.”

Oh… so these CM’s should go to college so they can get a respected job and make more money… like teachers! Oh wait… teachers don’t make anymore money?

So really the answer is that the CM’s should go on to play professional sports, or start an onlyfans cause THAT is what society really values?

(Sorry I went off on a soapbox there… haha)

No worries it's not a bad soapbox we just disagree on the way to achieve it.

But let's look at your professional athlete scenario less than 1% of student athletes will get to the pro level and if they make the pros they are THE highest caliber and cannot be replaced. I'm a huge eagles fans, every game we lost this year our star quarterback was out. Jalen Hurts is irreplaceable to his employer, the same cannot be said of cm at haunted Mansion. Next his name and image literally brings in money to other industry. There is a reason why Nike slapped Air Jordan's on just about everything they make. There is a reason why sponsors want Tom Brady to endorse their products, their face brings in money. Sorry but the beer guy at Lincoln financial field is making 12/hr. Whether or not he can survive on it is not the responsibility of the Philadelphia eagles

Now low wage jobs are the only ones that I know want a raise or want to get ahead for just showing up.
Every job I have ever had I had to prove why I was worth the increase, I will say I've never had a union position. I had an end of year annual review where I discussed what I did over the year. Lol my sister is an attorney she wouldn't keep a job if she went into her review and said "I came to work when I was supposed to" can I get a raise?

Again, yes most people will get cost of living raises, the CMs at Disney will definitely get that. You want a livable salary?? Try an occupation that pays that

I totally agree teachers are way underpaid, I am happy to say after the pandemic teachers here are getting a lot more respect.

Last edited:

Lilofan

At Disneyland, I notice an increase in quality between the roles that typically have more senior frontline CM’s because of desirability - Main Street Vehicles and Disneyland Railroad being good examples.

At WDW there are several middle aged CM’s at American Adventure that provide a superior level of professional appearance and service - they’ve been there for many years. I go to see voices of Liberty a lot so that’s how I recognize them specifically.

Just some personal observations of course.
Some of the nicest folks I've met is when I volunteered with others at the Run Disney races at WDW. Working for free , getting park tickets, set up, work the races, clean up and making new friends.

_caleb

Ehh.. that's a different direction and not what was being responded to. Trains said
"That’s how the concept of raises work, employees are rewarded if they do a good job and stay loyal to a company. Each year on the job you learn to do a better job in your role and that makes you more efficient."

And I pointed out that 'better jon in your role' does not have infinite growth and hence does not support infinite raises. Ultimately to continue to grow, if you are in an entry level position you role will have to grow. And yes, with that growth, you should expect more pay. But you can't argue that a popcorn seller keeps getting better every year. No, their value hits a ceiling and no matter how good the employee is, they can't do more than what the job is. Growth in compensation will also require growth in your role.
I was tracking with the point you were making. I hadn’t seen anyone suggest that popcorn seller CM should routinely get raises indefinitely without any additional responsibilities or expectations.

_caleb

Some of the nicest folks I've met is when I volunteered with others at the Run Disney races at WDW. Working for free , getting park tickets, set up, work the races, clean up and making new friends.
Are you suggesting that hourly pay does not directly related to job performance?
I mean, Disney could staff the parks with Disney Adults™ who volunteer to work for free. I’m sure it would make for a fun environment (for a little while).

Do you suppose those Run Disney volunteers would be willing to work year-round?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I hadn’t seen anyone suggest that popcorn seller CM should routinely get raises indefinitely without any additional responsibilities or expectations.
Follow the quote links backwards :) TrainsofDisney was claiming a popcorn seller gets better each year so they should get raises each year. He also just claimed again "So you disagree with a company providing yearly raises? That’s fairly standard." -- without accepting people should grow their role if they want growth.

eliza61nyc

I am an old coot, and can tell you I had an unskilled job to put myself thru college so I could do better. My parents did not have any money and did not so much as give me a dime for my education. I have 2 daughters who worked as waitresses to earn money for college, they both agree the best thing about being waitress was realizing that is not what they wanted to do with the rest of their life. So one graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering and the other is a NICU nurse. So, I have the utmost respect for anyone who has to do the unskilled labor at Disney. It is often not easy nor particularly glamorous. One of the benefits Disney provides is financial help for those going to local college. So if someone whats more than the union wages, take advantage to move up.

Lol I've said that a million times here, I worked as a Christmas elf at the 34st Macy's my senior year in hs. That job, more than anything my parents said, any thing the nuns at school could say showed me clearly and immediately what my life would be if I stayed in retail.
Filled out a bunch of college aps AND took the test for police, fire and sanitation department immediately

TrainsOfDisney

Follow the quote links backwards :) TrainsofDisney was claiming a popcorn seller gets better each year so they should get raises each year. He also just claimed again "So you disagree with a company providing yearly raises? That’s fairly standard." -- without accepting people should grow their role if they want growth.
It is standard to get an annual raise. That’s a fact.

_caleb

Now low wage jobs are the only ones that I know want a raise or want to get ahead for just showing up.
Every job I have ever had I had to prove why I was worth the increase, I will say I've never had a union position. I has an end of year annual review where I discussed what I did over the year. Lol my sister is an attorney she wouldn't keep a job if she went into her review and said "I came to work when I was supposed to" can I get a raise?
I don’t think this is an uncharitable caricature that doesn’t reflect what’s actually happening. I don’t think people are asking for raises “just for showing up.”

As you mentioned previously, most are hard working people who love their jobs and do them well. They’re saying, “I want this job. I’ve done it, I understand it, and I’m the best person to have it. But to keep doing it well, I’m going to need more money, health insurance, a guaranteed number of hours, and a couple days off every once in a while.” Multiply this times several thousand CMs.

_caleb

I still think I’m tracking with you. I can’t speak for Trains, but I read that as saying something more like, “As the popcorn seller gets better each year, they should get raises.”

If the popcorn seller was paid a sustainable wage to begin with and then “flatlines” (in terms of productivity, not in terms of heart rhythm!), I don’t think a raise would be in order unless they assume additional responsibilities (or, as you put is, “grow their role”).

eliza61nyc

CM’s aren’t saying that either.

Has your sister never gotten a raise her entire career as an attorney? What earned her that raise?
Oh absolutely but basically she has to prove why she should get what she wants. I'll ask her specifically but I know she has to discuss what cases she had, outcomes and how many clients she brings to the firm and now she has to do so many billable pro Bono

She had times where she gotten no raise, lol heck I had a supervisor flatly tell me I was being greedy. I had gotten a promotion and the second year after I asked for a raise. His exact words to me were, "we just gave you a huge chunk of change" last year.

Last edited:

_caleb

I share your respect for those who work long, hard hours for low pay.

Unfortunately, this has become so incredibly difficult in today’s marketplace, it’s really no longer an option. Where those unskilled jobs as stepping stones into greater opportunity, companies have (intentionally) made them dead-ends with no room for advancement and no opportunity for growth.

Workers used to be given some incentive to continue on in a position; a raise, greater input into decisions, more responsibility, etc. Sadly, it doesn’t really work like that anymore.

eliza61nyc

I don’t think this is an uncharitable caricature that doesn’t reflect what’s actually happening. I don’t think people are asking for raises “just for showing up.”

As you mentioned previously, most are hard working people who love their jobs and do them well. They’re saying, “I want this job. I’ve done it, I understand it, and I’m the best person to have it. But to keep doing it well, I’m going to need more money, health insurance, a guaranteed number of hours, and a couple days off every once in a while.” Multiply this times several thousand CMs.

I thought they got that. Seriously, didn't last negotiations they received raises over a 3 year period and better scheduling??

So again, I definitely think they will get a raise. I thought they got one last negotiations.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t think people are asking for raises “just for showing up.”

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 1.52.08 PM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom