News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

flynnibus

Premium Member
Then find a paid job building Lego.
There are such jobs - but they don't pay what I need... so I make the grown up decision that I can't work that job and have to take a different job. Maybe in my golden years when my assets generate enough income to be able to take a job purely on passion .. I can play with Legos and get paid for it. Until then, self-responsibility dictates I focus on securing work that sustains my desired life.

If your business requires human labor to function, no matter how easy or menial the job is, you need to pay people for it. And if those wages aren’t enough for the market, you end up short staffed.

Sure - but we are bouncing between different discussions like they are the same - and they aren't. An argument that you are short-staffed because of wages is not automatically the same thing as 'you are short staffed because you don't pay a living wage for all these different demographics' or 'people deserve raises every year'.

I agree they need to be more competitive to attract labor - but people aren't having that direct conversation. Instead insisting on advocating for other concepts. They aren't arguing for fixing staffing, they are arguing for XYZ CM struggles. And to those arguments, if XYZ CM is struggling, I'd say LEAVE Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The marketplace can be wrong though. The marketplace in China pays crazy low and uses child labor.

Previously, the marketplace in the USA put workers in dangerous conditions.
And we have the freedom in our country to leave if you don't like your local market.

Again, the reason why these wages exist is because people are taking the job. So are you going to tell all those workers they are wrong?

peter11435

Again, the reason why these wages exist is because people are taking the job. So are you going to tell all those workers they are wrong?
The fact that WDW is currently operating significantly understaffed despite efforts to ramp up staffing levels, offering hiring bonuses of up to $6000 for some roles, and posting illuminated now hiring signs on I4 is a pretty good indication that people are not exactly taking the jobs.

TrainsOfDisney

you are short staffed because you don't pay a living wage for all these different demographics'
I am so tired of this…. The term living wage isn’t a wage that goes up and down for different demographics. Nobody is saying that. The term is saying that people shouldn’t be working full time hours and still qualify for low-income housing and/ or government assistance.
And we have the freedom in our country to leave if you don't like your local market.

I wouldn’t tell children working in factories they are wrong, I would tell the executives of the company they are wrong.

Lilofan

I am so tired of this…. The term living wage isn’t a wage that goes up and down for different demographics. Nobody is saying that. The term is saying that people shouldn’t be working full time hours and still qualify for low-income housing and/ or government assistance.

I wouldn’t tell children working in factories they are wrong, I would tell the executives of the company they are wrong.
Go to any major city like in the Northeast and entry level pay still qualifies staff for low income housing and food stamps. Many are in same situation not just Disney cast.

Lilofan

Advise Tim Cook of Apple whose phones are made in China including my own.

Lilofan

I think you know the difference between child labor and a 14 year old working limited hours at a job that is safe for them to work at.
I can thank the many who work in the fields of agriculture including children under age 18 in hazardous conditions , FL top industry BTW, so I can enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The fact that WDW is currently operating significantly understaffed despite efforts to ramp up staffing levels, offering hiring bonuses of up to $6000 for some roles, and posting illuminated now hiring signs on I4 is a pretty good indication that people are not exactly taking the jobs.
Now… but when the wage was set? Yes
And while there arr gaps today… there are still thousands that do.

The wage was accepted by workers - thats why the wage exists

flynnibus

Premium Member

Except… the definition of government assistance DOES depend on your living situation. You can’t have your cake and eat it too…

Are you worried about 18yr olds or 30yr olds with a family? Because your pitch can’t feed both of them whole.
Well since none of that is in play here… you win the pointless trophy for the day?

TrainsOfDisney

Are you worried about 18yr olds or 30yr olds with a family? Because your pitch can’t feed both of them whole.
I’m not worried about either. If an 18 year old moves to Orlando and works full time hours for Disney they should be paid a decent living wage. ($17-20 per hour).

Same for a 30 year old. I don’t think the 30 year old should be paid more cause he’s 30. I think the job itself should pay more since it’s a FULL TIME JOB.

Thankfully we are quite close to that number and indeed many hourly CM’s are paid $17-20 already. That’s great.

Lilofan

I’m not worried about either. If an 18 year old moves to Orlando and works full time hours for Disney they should be paid a decent living wage. ($17-20 per hour).

Same for a 30 year old. I don’t think the 30 year old should be paid more cause he’s 30. I think the job itself should pay more since it’s a FULL TIME JOB.

Thankfully we are quite close to that number and indeed many hourly CM’s are paid $17-20 already. That’s great.
Truly incredible that cast are paid that rate and an EMT who has far more complex and stressful responsibilities to include saving lives are paid $16 per hour according to a forum member.

flynnibus

Premium Member

"I think the job itself should pay more" -- Yet, they're doing the same job. So which is it? Your arguments are floppy like a pool noodle.

If Disney gives CMs $17 an hour you are going to go away and say all CMs can earn a living wage as long as they are full-time?

TrainsOfDisney

"I think the job itself should pay more" -- Yet, they're doing the same job. So which is it? Your arguments are floppy like a pool noodle.
I’m confused? Yes I think the job itself should pay more. When did I say anything different?

If Disney gives CMs $17 an hour you are going to go away and say all CMs can earn a living wage as long as they are full-time?

That’s a decent starting pay yes. That’s $35k which is low (and why I say $17-20 cause I think 35-40k should be the min.)

eliza61nyc

That is great so then I have a question, what is the problem? seriously, what is the salary of those who claim that they work full time and are on welfare? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm trying to understand. if they (the cm's) started out around 15/hr they should surely be close to 17/hour.
and at 17/hour will housing still be an issue.
And the 30 year old is most definitely going to complain because for him 30k is not going to be liveable if he has kids.

Last edited:

KeithVH

OK. So now we've pulled a number out of someone's fasnarssus that says the wage should be 35-40/K. Who gets to decide if that's the right value? Or someone else feels it should be 40-50K? Or more? What basis in fact are these values based on? The last few years I've been part of my company's workgroup doing college recruiting and, in general, the expectation among our interviewees is starting salary of 70-80K easy. As someone has said, this argument just isn't about Disney. Is everyone ready to accept the consequences of no skill/low skill individuals being paid more than what duties they perform are actually worth? Did no one take Econ 101?

You can't paint everyone with the some brush when it comes to how they're paid. This will lead to more problems than you can imagine. I have to wonder about the amazing CMs that are out there who bust their butts daily and they see recent hires who could care less about the work and realize they get paid the same.

Let's assume the workers get the contract they want. Do you know what happens next? Rent (and overall cost of living) in the area is going to increase, not overnight but within a year. Within 2 years everyone we're currently discussing will be right back where they started and want more due to economic factors Disney can't control. If you think that hasn't happened in other cities around the US, you're not paying attention. This doesn't mean don't give the CMs more money - it means all that's being discussed here is amelioration of symptoms. Nothing said so far addresses root cause. Actions and decisions have consequences.

1677445031031.png

TrainsOfDisney

Is everyone ready to accept the consequences of no skill/low skill individuals being paid more than what duties they perform are actually worth?
The same argument could have been made for keeping slave labor, and later child labor.

OK. So now we've pulled a number out of someone's fasnarssus that says the wage should be 35-40/K.
What do you think is the minimum that someone should be paid for working a full time job?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom