News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

eliza61nyc

Now you’re getting it.

Workers will always be paid as the market values their services.

So if you are an adult who expects to “put food on the table” for your wife and kids doing a job that a teenager with no skills can do, you not only work in Fantasyland, you apparently live there too.

It’s not a pleasant truth, it is just reality.
and am I the only one who remembers that when you got that job you never intended on staying there? You knew that in order to live you would have to move on. some of us smucks even took on p/t extra work to save up to get ahead? Man have times changed. that you may have taken a job that took you an hour to get to, each way but that was okay because you werent planning on working it ten years.

Brian

Of course in real life, WDW employees people for front line positions of all ages and walks of life, but because they are working a “non-skilled” and “entry level” job, they shouldn’t be paid enough to put food on the table and it’s their own fault for not moving up in life.

Is that accurate?
Yes.

When I was working on the front lines and became unhappy with how little I was making, I made it a point to move up, and eventually, 20ish years later, left the company with my own office at TDO, and before that, Celebration Place. Somewhere in between, I worked in a cubicle clump where all but one of us worked front line earlier in our Disney careers.

There are options. I don't knock those who choose to stick around the front lines for the majority of their career, in fact, I admire them to an extent because they get to clock out at the end of the day and not have to worry about work until they clock back in, but one can't expect to be paid more simply based on their age or budgetary needs.

ETA: A newer benefit that wasn't around when I was a front liner is Disney Aspire. The company will pay upfront for as much as finishing your high school diploma/GED, getting a bachelor's and getting a master's. This is an incredibly valuable resource for front liners to ascend to new levels of the company, or lucrative opportunities outside of it, and make the "living wage," and likely beyond, that they seek.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

and am I the only one who remembers that when you got that job you never intended on staying there? You knew that in order to live you would have to move on. some of us smucks even took on p/t extra work to save up to get ahead? Man have times changed. that you may have taken a job that took you an hour to get to, each way but that was okay because you werent planning on working it ten years.
The generation before thought they could get one job and keep it they would be fine.
That was my father's generation, in college he got a job with a large family bank in Chicago in the mailroom and 40 years later retired as a senior VP of the same bank because President had the name requirement thing. He went to the same place every working day for 40 years smh, I still can't understand how you do that I never could.

KeithVH

So. Back to reality - the last I saw, the union rejected the most recent offer 96% to 4%.

What has happened since then> Not much in the news? Has the concept of strike been seriously discussed among those in charge? It's one thing to operate for 30-40 days w/o a contract, it's another to go for 5 months with everything stagnant.

KeithVH

Again, Disney is short staffed. People aren’t taking the jobs. And there is artificial pressure to not respond to market demands that Disney is still more concerned with over meeting their staffing needs.

Totally get this. Can't wait for people to realize, at some point, it would pay more to go be housekeeping at WDW rather than make less as an EMT out there saving lives.

RobWDW1971

Talk about schmucks! I've learned from some of these younger posters that in the 70's and 80's you were just handed jobs out of high school and college where you lived like a king no matter your experience, skills, and work ethic!

What a moron I was back then working multiple crappy entry level jobs at once, living with three smelly roommates in a tiny apartment, and having to work my butt off for each and every promotion while trying to learn new skills along the way in my career.

Who knew I could have just kept pushing those dispatch buttons on Thunder and ringing the bell on the Mark Twain for next 30 years and been rolling in the dough, unlike these poor suffering cast members today!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, Disney is short staffed. People aren’t taking the jobs. And there is artificial pressure to not respond to market demands that Disney is still more concerned with over meeting their staffing needs.

Mentioning Disney is short staffed is an entirely different debate than the discussion of what people are expecting their job to pay. The post you were replying to has nothing to do with Disney needing to adapt to what labor is available but was all about people's expectation of wages and labor as a whole

Let's not forget why Disney's payscale is what it is now... BECAUSE PEOPLE AGREED TO WORK AT THOSE WAGES. If someone doesn't want to work for the pay Disney is paying, they should get a different job. Who is the devil here? Disney for offering that wage, or someone undercutting you by being willing to take that pay?

Instead of people going "I need a job that pays at least this much to make me whole" and seeking a job that offers that.. people are advocating that people can pick any job and say "that job needs to pay me XYZ".

Who is forcing these people to take these jobs?
We already know Disney is not the easiest company to work for.. and generally not the most convenient and now people are saying 'not paying enough'.

Ok, then why are you still trying to work there?

Is it the CMs responsibility to make sure Disney isn't short staffed? Hell no.

Disney pay scale was that low because people were willing to work for those wages.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
It’s possible a few 18 year olds still in high school have / are working a job at Disney. But I feel like that has to be a very very low number.

In general, high schoolers don’t have the availability that Disney demands.
Generally for seasonal roles. And given the short staffing, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney were to go to 2 full days or 4 half days for availability for certain unskilled roles to attract high school kids.

TrainsOfDisney

Generally for seasonal roles
You’re saying Disney “generally” staffs seasonal roles with kids still in high school? You are saying that’s a fact?
And given the short staffing, I wouldn't be surprised
I would be. Disney usually demands lots of time from employees, they don’t want a high schooler working 2 days a week.
They wouldn't make a big fuss about it, but they could.
And universal could also close tomorrow. It’s not going to happen…. But they could.

mkt

Premium Member
You’re saying Disney “generally” staffs seasonal roles with kids still in high school? You are saying that’s a fact?
I was literally hired by Disney the first time in my high school job fair when they needed seasonal CMs for the holidays.

I would be. Disney usually demands lots of time from employees, they don’t want a high schooler working 2 days a week.

From full time CMs, yes. Part time and seasonal, they can be more flexible on.

And universal could also close tomorrow. It’s not going to happen…. But they could.

Given some of the crap posted in this thread, I'd wager and say these are some of the more realistic possibilities.

TrainsOfDisney

I was literally hired by Disney the first time in my high school job fair when they needed seasonal CMs for the holidays.
So you worked at Disney when you were 18 and a senior? Or younger?

Are you certain they still practice this?

I don’t see high schoolers working when I’m at Disney - it seems like it has to be a small number.

mkt

Premium Member
So you worked at Disney when you were 18 and a senior? Or younger?

Are you certain they still practice this?

I don’t see high schoolers working when I’m at Disney - it seems like it has to be a small number.

I was hired at 16, 4 days from turning 17 as a junior, seasonal holiday role in attractions. Did traditions over a weekend, local MK training the next weekend, and trained in my first attractions the third weekend. Ended up staying with the company for several years as a CM in attractions then entertainment, still had a professional relationship with them until 2021, and still use my previous relationships with Disney for my current employer.

I'm not sure if they still practice this, but bringing it back wouldn't be an issue. Which is the point I'm getting at: Disney already knows how to do it, so bringing it back wouldn't be hard. Especially, since as has been said repeatedly, they are short-staffed in hourly park roles. Hiring seasonal and part time high-school kids is ultimately cheaper for them than paying full time CM's overtime.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

So updating my comment based on above - if your job can be done by a newly turned 17 year old, you may want to reevaluate your long-term employment prospects.

This is why the marketplace works - Disney will pay more if required based on the availability of labor or they will not if they can continue to get enough people willing to work at the current wages (or use high school kids to fill the seasonal jobs) or their guests continue to tolerate the understaffed parks/resorts. But those decisions will be based on what it costs to get the level of experience/quality they need, not because of theoretical ideas of "what they should do" or "what is right" or some "living wage".

What is not discussed enough is how the continuing lower standards for appearance (grooming, facial hair, tattoos, weight, etc.) and service quality is working to erode wages. Every time a lower standard is cheered on these boards, you are also cheering for lower pay as the supply of warm bodies just got larger. My local Chick-fil-A has a more consistent professional look and service quality than what I experience on both coasts at Disney parks.

If you have no standards and you have an attractive brand, you will not have to offer top dollar to get the jobs filled. The more the guests keep paying premium prices for the lower quality service, the more Disney management is reassured they have hit the sweet spot - Four Seasons rates for Best Western service, it's like a dream come true for them.

TrainsOfDisney

So updating my comment based on above - if your job can be done by a newly turned 17 year old, you may want to reevaluate your long-term employment prospects.
Currently, from what I can tell, Disney only hires 18+.

And anyone under 18 would be working only in certain positions that really are “entry level.”

Nobody is saying someone who works at ODV for 10 years should be making $100k, rather, anyone who works a full time job should be making at least 35-40k.

And yes, I agree that lowering the standards to increase the labor pool and then bragging about it in the name of “inclusivity” is quite the trick. When fast food restaurants like chik-fil-a and In-n-out have higher appearance standards than Disney Parks… I’d say there is something wrong.

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member

And what’s your business what someone decides to do with their life?

Maybe they’re fulfilled by pushing buttons on a ride or saying spiels. If they are, don’t they deserve to earn enough to live off of without turning to government assistance?

MagicHappens1971

And what’s your business what someone decides to do with their life?

Maybe they’re fulfilled by pushing buttons on a ride or saying spiels. If they are, don’t they deserve to earn enough to live off of without turning to government assistance?
This right here sums it up perfectly. It’s so baffling that people here on this forum can take the stance of “WDW CMs don’t deserve to make enough to live”. That’s basically what he just said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom