Disney Without the Kids and The Princess Half Marathon...My First Trip Report.

This is my first trip report! I have wanted to do one for a while. There will be pictures!

Now for a little background on this trip; I am 36 years old and a mom of two. I work full time as an RN, my excellent husband encouraged me, yes, encouraged me to go to Disney World WITHOUT him and the kids so I could run the Princess Half Marathon!! This is something that I have wanted to do for years.

I kept saying “Really? You think I should do it?” and he kept saying; “yes go do it.” Of course I waited and waited, unsure if I should do it. It seemed so selfish! :( And then I thought of all the hours I spend daily caring for others, cleaning up messes, pairing up socks, wiping bums and noses etc… and I realized that I should do it! I do deserve to do something just for me :p ! So the night before Thanksgiving, I finally registered. The race capacity was at 99% and the next morning it was sold out... I found a frequent flyer ticket, went to DVC to book my room. Then I invited my sister to join me. She didn’t want to run but was super excited to come along.

Now all I had left to do was whip myself into shape. I never ran at all prior to three years ago when I ran my first and only full marathon. That was the distance I picked as my first running event, not a 5K or a 10K. I don't know why I do that to myself... Anyway I finished,it wasn't pretty but I did it. So since then I had really only been running 3-4 miles at various times. So I found a training plan that was realistic for my life. Which was two shorter runs a week and one long run. I was very good about making sure I didn't miss any of my long runs and most of my short runs. It was going beautifully up until two weeks before I was to leave. But more on that later...

Travel Day February 21st

I awoke before 4 am for my 6 am flight. I made my husband some coffee and then woke him up for the ten minute drive to the airport.( I had said goodbye to my pitifully sad children the night before :( and I promised my daughter I wouldn’t set foot near the new Fantasyland until we go back to Disney as a family…) I checked in for my flight and then headed to security which is normally pretty uneventful in our little country airport.

However it was rooky day at the security line that morning. The first thing I noticed was an angry looking TSA man pull a bag off the belt to confront its owner. The man had 3 full size drinks in his carry on... THREE! What the…?o_O He didn’t see the fifteen signs, the little video and the other six notices about carrying on liquids...Apparently not. To complement this episode, the woman right in front of me attempted to walk through the body scanner with her cowboy boots on :confused: . She was completely shocked when she was directed to remove her footwear. Really? She didn’t see everyone else taking off their Shoes?? It was so bizarre, I was just waiting for someone to light up a cigarette next, and be completely oblivious to that rule as well...

After all the fun at the x-ray machines we made it to Seattle without incident and I saw this sign, I really like signs.

IMG_3241_zps2a8f1d11.jpg

Those are my favorites how did they know? It was a little early so I opted for just the coffee.

My second flight; Seattle to Orlando was almost 6 hours long. The flight itself was pretty bumpy due to some massive snowstorm pelting the Midwest, but I was really enjoying myself, I read a book. It was lovely. Aside from the obvious lack of food and fresh air, it was a nice day. One of the highlights was the Biscoff cookies, they are my favorite. I only see them on airplanes and the flight attendant gave me two extras. Score!

Anyway, we landed in Orlando about ten minutes late. I texted my sister who had also just landed and we met up at Magical Express. We went ahead and let Mickey, Goofy and Donald collect our bags. I have to say being able to skip baggage claim never gets old!

We got into line and I was so excited. At this point you might be wondering where were we staying???

IMG_3242_zps4692ad5c.jpg

Well the only resort available using our points for us last minute travelers was Saratoga Springs, it was not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice but it would do. Besides I was so seriously excited to be at Disney World, I would’ve been happy staying at the Super 8 on International Drive. (I don’t even know if there is a Super 8 on international drive but I am sure you get my meaning.

I had done online check in and I don’t know why but anytime I have made a room request, I always seem to get the complete opposite of what I ask for. This trip was no different. I had requested a room near the main building, and instead we were put in the Carousel section, literally 0.6 miles away. I guess compared to the rooms at Animal Kingdom Villas our room was close to the Carriage house…

We were starving so we got dinner at the Artist Palette, I had the turkey brie sandwich, I don’t know where they hid the brie, but it was ok. (Sorry no pictures) Sis had the flatbread pizza and a salad. She said they were good. Then we got some peanut butter rice crispy treats to go and went off to find our room :) .

The hotel is very pretty but spread out, there are several ponds and fountains with walking paths connecting all the sections of the resort. Now I would like to take a break from this report for a small rant:

If one is going to make a lovely, garden filled resort with numerous buildings, fountains, pools and walking paths, perhaps some signs to point the way to various landmarks would be nice. For example a sign pointing in which direction to walk to reach THE CAROUSEL BUILDINGS.Maps that are oriented upside down, with a small circle showing “you are here” that have buildings labeled in a light shade of yellow, which aren’t lit at night, are difficult to read :mad:

Forty minutes later we found our room, a studio and this is the only picture I took….
IMG_0020_zpsab242e68.jpg

So after all the fun of looking for our room we decided to head to Downtown Disney, after another thirty or so minutes we found the boat launch. The weather was super warm and lovely and the boat ride was really nice. We walked around DTD for a bit. There was lots of music and happy people and after a glass of wine I was happy too. So I finally started taking some pictures but I only had my phone.

IMG_3244_zpse28af9b2.jpg

IMG_3249_zpsc25bd7a9.jpg

I liked the new Lego sculptures a bunch.

I bought my daughter a whole bunch of super cute socks from Little Miss Matched on sale. Every place I went gave me a 10% discount for being a DVC member which was nice and unexpected. Around 10pm we decided to catch the boat back and call it a night. I was pretty tired and my foot was starting to hurt quite a bit. More on that later….

Tidbit

YAY!! I love running reports since I am currently training to do my 1st RunDisney event in 2014.! I can't wait to hear all about it, and see some pictures!

Disneyfalcon

Yay for first trip reports! Cracking up at your TSA story and map problem at Saratoga! I always have a really hard time getting oriented there too!
Can't wait for more! :)

Ariel484

Yikes...crazy experiences with the TSA! That's no good.
Interesting about the lack of signage at Saratoga...that's the second time I've heard that this week. I briefly went through the resort in January on my way to DTD and it's so pretty there! Interested to hear how you liked it. :)
And hey, big props to you working full-time as an RN AND training for this race. I don't think I could do it!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Yikes...crazy experiences with the TSA! That's no good.
Interesting about the lack of signage at Saratoga...that's the second time I've heard that this week. I briefly went through the resort in January on my way to DTD and it's so pretty there! Interested to hear how you liked it. :)
And hey, big props to you working full-time as an RN AND training for this race. I don't think I could do it!

Thanks! As for Saratoga once I got it figured out it didn't seem quite so confusing. I think arriving at night made it harder. It was really pretty...My favorite resort is the Beach Club for the location and the pool. But being next to Downtown Disney was nice and the Pools at Saratoga were pretty fun looking too. Its the best resort for jogging that's for sure...miles of paths! I don't mind walking so I was fine with our room location. I had asked to be close to the Carriage House mostly for my sister, she hasn't been feeling well...but the 10 minute walk didn't seem nearly so far once I knew where we were going.

foreverbelle

I must say that is dif a crazy experience at the airport. I know I fly frequently so the rules seem pretty standard to me. But even if I didn't I would think I would be aware of the signs, and the warnings and the videos they play to let you know about things. But dif an experience.

I think that is super awesome that your hubs would let you do that by yourself and encourage you. I always think what it would be like, and maybe one of these days. Though I do not have a desire to do the marathon, I applaud you. Props goes out to you.

I can't wait to read the rest!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
I must say that is dif a crazy experience at the airport. I know I fly frequently so the rules seem pretty standard to me. But even if I didn't I would think I would be aware of the signs, and the warnings and the videos they play to let you know about things. But dif an experience.

I think that is super awesome that your hubs would let you do that by yourself and encourage you. I always think what it would be like, and maybe one of these days. Though I do not have a desire to do the marathon, I applaud you. Props goes out to you.

I can't wait to read the rest!

Thank you! I am really fortunate to have such a good husband!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Day 2 February 22nd Magic Kingdom, a Broken Promise and The Princess Expo…

The next morning I awoke around 6:45am because I wanted to get a little teeny run in before we went to the Magic Kingdom. At this point I need to back up to two weeks before the trip, it was a cold and icy day (just to set the tone…) I ran my usual long run, with my ice cleats on my sneakers so I wouldn’t slip and break something as I have been doing for a few years. That night after my run, my right foot was really hurting along the bottom outside edge. The next day it was not better at all and it was swollen. I stayed off of it all weekend, but it wasn’t improving, so Monday I got an x-ray. Then I got some bad news, I likely had a stress fracture in my fifth metatarsal :( The Dr. blamed my ice cleats, how ironic! I wear them so I won’t break something…Apparently the mid-section of my foot didn’t have the support it needed with the hard metal under the ball of my foot and heel, this causes it to sag slightly as I run, and after so many miles of this I did some damage to myself :eek: . I was heartbroken, not to mention angry with myself, I should’ve shelled out the extra 20 bucks for the Yak Trax, which have a coil that wraps under and around the whole foot... He advised me not to run at all for the next ten days. Then came the good news; it was ok to run on it. I would not do irreparable damage to myself. The only problem would be the pain.

Fast forward to that morning, I had not run for almost two weeks, and my foot was still sore. So I decided to go out on a little test mission to see how it felt. It wasn’t good…After only a mile it was hurting badly enough that I couldn’t take a normal step so I turned around and went back to my room feeling completely discouraged. When I got back I took a shower and a handful of ibuprofen. I wanted to cry.

DPP_0221_zps4683e5e0.jpg

I took a picture outside our building as I hobbled back.

After my shower I had no choice but to wear my running shoes because with my sandals on the pain was almost unbearable…all from just running less than 2 miles. A little voice in the back of my head was telling me there was no way I would make it thirteen…but I began to hum in my head and tell the voice I wasn’t listening.

Foot pain or not we were going to the parks. We walked out of our room and were surprised to find that the room assignment Deities hadn’t totally abandoned us; the bus stop was just outside our door!

DPP_0002_zps7f3d5260.jpg

After a short wait we were on our way to The Magic Kingdom!

DPP_0006_zpscece0d8d.jpg

It was a beautiful day! With no kids we did something I have not done in a long time. Instead of running to Fantansyland, we went too...Adventureland!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Adventureland was empty!!
DPP_0007_zpsd2d85c3c.jpg

DPP_0223_zps1acc3432.jpg

DPP_0224_zps652c4769.jpg

I love visiting the parks in the morning and being the first ones on a ride!
Next we rode Pirates!
DPP_0009_zps555b0f9c.jpg

DPP_0010_zps2da5c344.jpg

Up next liberty Square and some hitch hiking ghosts!!!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Day 2 continued...

Pirates had no line so we rode again...

DPP_000100_zpsf9e1de3f.jpg

The mermaid skeleton was new to me...

DPP_000101_zps1a3dfa14.jpg

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Continuing on our early morning trip through the Magic Kingdom, we made it to one of my favorite places...
DPP_0226_zps726b965b.jpg

Sadly Splash was down for refurb and Big Thunder Mountain was just down. I kept checking my Disney Parks app all morning but it was down for several hours, we didn’t get to ride it this trip…

Here is just another sign...

DPP_000102_zps44f1d68a.jpg

Some more signs around Liberty Square...

DPP_0225_zps3934ba36.jpg

DPP_0227_zps7b32ef61.jpg

Speaking of restrooms, The Tangled Tower was visible.

DPP_0229_zpsf49fdeee.jpg

We rode another of our very favorites next... The Haunted Mansion...

DPP_000103_zpsb0d1c5fc.jpg

DPP_000104_zps4d770299.jpg

DPP_0015_zps0104b52f.jpg

DPP_0017_zpsf56e79be.jpg

DPP_0016_zps718dbfd7.jpg

DPP_0018_zpseec3e159.jpg

DPP_0019_zpsc752ca17.jpg

The bride is pretty freaky...

DPP_0020_zpsb29ba1ba.jpg

But not any of these guys...

DPP_0021_zpsf7991f0e.jpg

Best I could get of our hitch hiking ghost...

DPP_0022_zps6c979c68.jpg

Sumrdog

Original Poster
After the Haunted Mansion, I broke my promise to my daughter and we went into The New Fantasyland. (Please don’t tell her) I couldn’t help it, my sister really wanted to see it and who knew when she would be back again. I couldn’t let her go alone. She has a horrible sense of direction. She might have gotten lost… I kept my eyes averted most of the time we were there. We barely looked at anything except near Gaston’s Tavern.

DPP_0230_zpseb927c5d.jpg

DPP_0231_zps6807bf4c.jpg

DPP_0232_zps6926bb73.jpg

As you may have realized, I like clever restroom signs...This was outside of Gaston's

DPP_0233_zpse9cd967e.jpg

We got some snacks at Gaston’s Tavern. Everyone in line was getting amazingly huge cinnamon rolls, but I wasn’t in the mood for something sweet. So I got hummus and pretzels…I know, really lame.

Sumrdog

Original Poster
At that point it was about 11:30 am and I wanted to go to the Princess Expo and pick up my race bib. So we split up, I took the bus to Coronado Springs. My sis went back to SSR for a little pool time.

The expo was insane…the bib pickup was sensible enough, no one in my line. I got my race bib and my souvenir pin. And then was directed to the T-shirt line which wound around the entire room. I honestly don’t know how long it took, but the T-shirt pickup section was so disorganized. I got my bag and my shirt. I really liked the shirt. The line for the official race merchandise was also huge I skipped it. I decided to check out the rest of the expo. I had initially intended to try to change corrals I was in G, but with the foot trouble I had been having and the heat warnings, I thought I wouldn't waste my time standing in yet another line, when I wasn't actually sure if I would be able to run the whole thing after all. So I kept my original corral assignment, which was the 2nd to last one.

This was the only picture I took, I just wasn't in the mood...

DPP_0235_zps8ff32851.jpg

I ended up leaving within an hour because it was so crowded, I can’t imagine trying to navigate that situation with my children in tow. I did buy a pair of shorts because it was unseasonably warm and I didn’t want to be too hot in my running tights. There were warnings all over about the heat and staying hydrated etc…They were slightly concerning to me since I have been training in mostly 20-30 degree weather. Between the heat and my foot I was feeling a little stressed about whether or not I could even finish the run. So I was kind of down and decided to make my way to the resort transportation. When I stepped outside the expo center I noticed an enormous, wind around the building kind of line. Lucky for me it was to get back to Downtown Disney. I felt really bad for anyone who wasn’t staying at a Disney resort because they were required to park at Downtown Disney. It didn’t look like there was nearly enough buses. My bus was shared with OKW and only about 5 of us got on, I was on my way back to SSR pretty quickly.

I went up to our room, dropped off my race goodies and then went to the pool to meet my sister. It was about 1:30 pm and it was hot! I loved it.
This is my self portrait in the resort elevator...

DPP_0236_zps5f3d2325.jpg

No pictures for this next part. Sometimes I have to put the camera away...That afternoon I spent at the Paddock Pool with my sister, I elevated and iced my foot in the sunshine, ate a really good bacon cheeseburger for lunch and tried out the waterslide. There was a pool party for kids going on and I know mine would’ve loved it. I started to feel a little guilty about not bringing them, but then I reminded myself that the trip would not be possible with the whole family; we couldn’t afford it. So I slapped a smile on my face and rousted my sister who was alternating between being too hot in the sun and too cold in the shade; I suggested we return to Magic Kingdom for dinner and Wishes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom