Disney Without the Kids and The Princess Half Marathon...My First Trip Report.

This is my first trip report! I have wanted to do one for a while. There will be pictures!

Now for a little background on this trip; I am 36 years old and a mom of two. I work full time as an RN, my excellent husband encouraged me, yes, encouraged me to go to Disney World WITHOUT him and the kids so I could run the Princess Half Marathon!! This is something that I have wanted to do for years.

I kept saying “Really? You think I should do it?” and he kept saying; “yes go do it.” Of course I waited and waited, unsure if I should do it. It seemed so selfish! :( And then I thought of all the hours I spend daily caring for others, cleaning up messes, pairing up socks, wiping bums and noses etc… and I realized that I should do it! I do deserve to do something just for me :p ! So the night before Thanksgiving, I finally registered. The race capacity was at 99% and the next morning it was sold out... I found a frequent flyer ticket, went to DVC to book my room. Then I invited my sister to join me. She didn’t want to run but was super excited to come along.

Now all I had left to do was whip myself into shape. I never ran at all prior to three years ago when I ran my first and only full marathon. That was the distance I picked as my first running event, not a 5K or a 10K. I don't know why I do that to myself... Anyway I finished,it wasn't pretty but I did it. So since then I had really only been running 3-4 miles at various times. So I found a training plan that was realistic for my life. Which was two shorter runs a week and one long run. I was very good about making sure I didn't miss any of my long runs and most of my short runs. It was going beautifully up until two weeks before I was to leave. But more on that later...

Travel Day February 21st

I awoke before 4 am for my 6 am flight. I made my husband some coffee and then woke him up for the ten minute drive to the airport.( I had said goodbye to my pitifully sad children the night before :( and I promised my daughter I wouldn’t set foot near the new Fantasyland until we go back to Disney as a family…) I checked in for my flight and then headed to security which is normally pretty uneventful in our little country airport.

However it was rooky day at the security line that morning. The first thing I noticed was an angry looking TSA man pull a bag off the belt to confront its owner. The man had 3 full size drinks in his carry on... THREE! What the…?o_O He didn’t see the fifteen signs, the little video and the other six notices about carrying on liquids...Apparently not. To complement this episode, the woman right in front of me attempted to walk through the body scanner with her cowboy boots on :confused: . She was completely shocked when she was directed to remove her footwear. Really? She didn’t see everyone else taking off their Shoes?? It was so bizarre, I was just waiting for someone to light up a cigarette next, and be completely oblivious to that rule as well...

After all the fun at the x-ray machines we made it to Seattle without incident and I saw this sign, I really like signs.

IMG_3241_zps2a8f1d11.jpg

Those are my favorites how did they know? It was a little early so I opted for just the coffee.

My second flight; Seattle to Orlando was almost 6 hours long. The flight itself was pretty bumpy due to some massive snowstorm pelting the Midwest, but I was really enjoying myself, I read a book. It was lovely. Aside from the obvious lack of food and fresh air, it was a nice day. One of the highlights was the Biscoff cookies, they are my favorite. I only see them on airplanes and the flight attendant gave me two extras. Score!

Anyway, we landed in Orlando about ten minutes late. I texted my sister who had also just landed and we met up at Magical Express. We went ahead and let Mickey, Goofy and Donald collect our bags. I have to say being able to skip baggage claim never gets old!

We got into line and I was so excited. At this point you might be wondering where were we staying???

IMG_3242_zps4692ad5c.jpg

Well the only resort available using our points for us last minute travelers was Saratoga Springs, it was not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice but it would do. Besides I was so seriously excited to be at Disney World, I would’ve been happy staying at the Super 8 on International Drive. (I don’t even know if there is a Super 8 on international drive but I am sure you get my meaning.

I had done online check in and I don’t know why but anytime I have made a room request, I always seem to get the complete opposite of what I ask for. This trip was no different. I had requested a room near the main building, and instead we were put in the Carousel section, literally 0.6 miles away. I guess compared to the rooms at Animal Kingdom Villas our room was close to the Carriage house…

We were starving so we got dinner at the Artist Palette, I had the turkey brie sandwich, I don’t know where they hid the brie, but it was ok. (Sorry no pictures) Sis had the flatbread pizza and a salad. She said they were good. Then we got some peanut butter rice crispy treats to go and went off to find our room :) .

The hotel is very pretty but spread out, there are several ponds and fountains with walking paths connecting all the sections of the resort. Now I would like to take a break from this report for a small rant:

If one is going to make a lovely, garden filled resort with numerous buildings, fountains, pools and walking paths, perhaps some signs to point the way to various landmarks would be nice. For example a sign pointing in which direction to walk to reach THE CAROUSEL BUILDINGS.Maps that are oriented upside down, with a small circle showing “you are here” that have buildings labeled in a light shade of yellow, which aren’t lit at night, are difficult to read :mad:

Forty minutes later we found our room, a studio and this is the only picture I took….
IMG_0020_zpsab242e68.jpg

So after all the fun of looking for our room we decided to head to Downtown Disney, after another thirty or so minutes we found the boat launch. The weather was super warm and lovely and the boat ride was really nice. We walked around DTD for a bit. There was lots of music and happy people and after a glass of wine I was happy too. So I finally started taking some pictures but I only had my phone.

IMG_3244_zpse28af9b2.jpg

IMG_3249_zpsc25bd7a9.jpg

I liked the new Lego sculptures a bunch.

I bought my daughter a whole bunch of super cute socks from Little Miss Matched on sale. Every place I went gave me a 10% discount for being a DVC member which was nice and unexpected. Around 10pm we decided to catch the boat back and call it a night. I was pretty tired and my foot was starting to hurt quite a bit. More on that later….

TakeMeThere81

Hurray for your first trip report! I loved your intro, and I actually share so many similarities with you!!

1)Married woman in her 30s with kids.
2) RN-I am in my first year of nursing school (You DO take care of everyone else! Good for you for taking this trip!)
3) Your husband urging you to go. This sounds like something my husband would do. Good men we've got there!
4) I gather you are a NW girl? I'm from Oregon :)

Crazy TSA experience! And so weird about your ice cleats! That is good that it wasn't irreparable damage though and you would still get to run the race. I will remember to choose the Yak Trax if we ever end up somewhere that is extremely icy often. That being said...you must be from Alaska or Canada...can you tell I am having a fun time guessing?

The bride IS freaky! And beautiful shot of the Tribute to Gaston sculpture!

Good point about the buses from the Expos and parking at Downtown Disney...if in the future I find myself in a similar situation, my group may have to make a dining reservation at a resort hotel or something to justify parking there, going the Expo by bus, then going back to the resort and eating our meal...that kind of justifies it ;) DH and I took our no-kids trip and ran the PHM in 2011 (which certainly doesn't feel 2 years ago!) and there was plenty of parking there at WWoS...of course some of it was in the back-40 in fields where you had to hike a mile in 85-degree weather, but it was all there.

Can't wait to read more! And I hope your foot got better!!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
The Princess Half falls very near my youngest DDs birthday, so for several years in a row, it has been completely out of the question. Can't wait to hear about the medal - I only run for swag! :p

I cannot wait until my daughter turns 14 and she can run at Disney with me! 3 and a half more years. I have been dangling that carrot in front of her for awhile to get her excited about long distance running.

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Hurray for your first trip report! I loved your intro, and I actually share so many similarities with you!!

1)Married woman in her 30s with kids.
2) RN-I am in my first year of nursing school (You DO take care of everyone else! Good for you for taking this trip!)
3) Your husband urging you to go. This sounds like something my husband would do. Good men we've got there!
4) I gather you are a NW girl? I'm from Oregon :)

Crazy TSA experience! And so weird about your ice cleats! That is good that it wasn't irreparable damage though and you would still get to run the race. I will remember to choose the Yak Trax if we ever end up somewhere that is extremely icy often. That being said...you must be from Alaska or Canada...can you tell I am having a fun time guessing?

The bride IS freaky! And beautiful shot of the Tribute to Gaston sculpture!

Good point about the buses from the Expos and parking at Downtown Disney...if in the future I find myself in a similar situation, my group may have to make a dining reservation at a resort hotel or something to justify parking there, going the Expo by bus, then going back to the resort and eating our meal...that kind of justifies it ;) DH and I took our no-kids trip and ran the PHM in 2011 (which certainly doesn't feel 2 years ago!) and there was plenty of parking there at WWoS...of course some of it was in the back-40 in fields where you had to hike a mile in 85-degree weather, but it was all there.

Can't wait to read more! And I hope your foot got better!!

I remember your trip report!

Yippee for nurses and good husbands!

Canada was a pretty close guess! I live in Northwest Montana. The side roads get a really nice build up of ice and snow in winter, so unless I want to run 12 miles on the treadmill :eek:, I have to strap on the ice cleats! The ice cleats hurting my foot made so much sense once it was explained to me...Oh well life is full of learning experiences.

As for the expo, I haven't been to Wwos but from what I have heard that location was much better equipped to handle the traffic the expo generated. Coronado Springs seemed a bit overwhelmed...

Thank you for the complement on my photo.

meklein

I cannot wait until my daughter turns 14 and she can run at Disney with me! 3 and a half more years. I have been dangling that carrot in front of her for awhile to get her excited about long distance running.
9 more years to wait for my youngest birthday girl weekend to be able to run it! :p

meklein

I remember your trip report!

I live in Northwest Montana. The side roads get a really nice build up of ice and snow in winter, so unless I want to run 12 miles on the treadmill, I have to strap on the ice cleats! The ice cleats hurting my foot made so much sense once it was explained to me...Oh well life is full of learning experiences.

I visited Glacier National Park over the summer - Grinnell Glacier Trail almost destroyed my knee :( , I have been working really hard to build it back up. Hope to run a half at the end of April - hopefully a Princess half eventually!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
I visited Glacier National Park over the summer - Grinnell Glacier Trail almost destroyed my knee :( , I have been working really hard to build it back up. Hope to run a half at the end of April - hopefully a Princess half eventually!

That's too bad about your knee. Glacier is gorgeous! My husband works there, we are lucky to have that in our backyard :) ...From what I have heard, cycling is super good for building up knees after an injury. Good luck!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Ok if photobucket cooperates :mad:... I will continue with Day 2. My sister and I had decided to leave the luxury of our poolside lounge chairs and return to The Magic Kingdom for the evening...

We decided to try out the new sorcerers game. We got our cards, map and instructions near the entrance. I loved, loved, loved the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure, (haven't tried the Phineas and Ferb reboot yet) Anyway I was looking forward to this.

DPP_0003_zpsdff7c8d7.jpg

I took some pictures on main street, along with signs, I really like windows...

DPP_0005_zps48531f34.jpg

DPP_0004_zps198fc09b.jpg

Before we fought the forces of evil in Fantasyland, we rode Pirates for the 3rd time and Haunted Mansion again. Then we had dinner at Columbia Harbour House. We both had a salad, (again no picture, I was too hungry…) I thought it had too much dressing, otherwise it would've been good.

Then it was time to play the Sorcerer game in Fantasyland. We had a hard time getting our spells to work, I apologize to anyone in Fantasyland that night, we are the ones responsible for allowing Ursula and Hades to flood it :oops:

DPP_0026_zpsf4717f7e.jpg

DPP_0027_zpse24a3a70.jpg

My sister trying to battle the forces of evil...Sadly, we couldn’t finish our game because the back of the castle was roped off for wishes.

DPP_0025_zps3639a1c6.jpg

After failing miserably at our attempt to save the world from evil we decided it best to just run away and join the circus!

DPP_0028_zpse70a0c9c.jpg

DPP_0030_zps2656b4c0.jpg

DPP_0029_zps3e630937.jpg

DPP_0033_zps9bd5a39f.jpg

The Big Top Souvenir shop had some excellent looking treats, I went with a simple chocolate covered pretzel with peanuts. It was yummy and I didn't get a picture... Here is the stuff I didn't choose...
DPP_0031_zps77a03c13.jpg

DPP_0032_zps33d2b681.jpg

Disney has really elevated the candy apple to an entire new level!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
On to Tomorrowland for a couple of my favorites...

DPP_0034_zpsdc8949c6.jpg

DPP_0035_zps4b607a77.jpg

DPP_0036_zps4332200d.jpg

Here is a picture of our picture, despite my intense expression, my sister beat me...And I wore my glasses, she didn't o_O
DPP_0038_zps7bedf8c6.jpg

We found a spot on the bridge between Tomorrowland and the hub for Celebrate the Magic and Wishes. I really love the Castle Show...It was hard to photograph without a tripod but I did my best...
DPP_0039_zps094ff6ed.jpg

DPP_0041_zpseba9e5f3.jpg

DPP_0043_zpsd5ff6d7a.jpg

We were having such a nice day and I was really looking forward to Wishes! I was just smiling and happy, even after a passive aggressive fellow guest tried to ruin it...

A lady with a huge stroller was taking up about 6 feet of wall space for just her and her child, she was kind of miffed at us for standing too close to the front of the stroller. But she had plenty of viewing space available between her stroller and the fence. My sister and I are both around five feet tall and there was a very tall man and woman in front of us. So I felt we had nowhere else to go. As I said she had already claimed all kinds of unobstructed viewing space with her stroller, for some reason she just wasn’t using it. She shot us dirty looks and talked about how she couldn't see on her phone. But as I said she could've just moved herself from the left side of the stroller to the right and been able to see better than us. She wasn't even really watching the show, she might've been waiting for a bus. Her child was asleep. I didn't feel bad for her. When I have my stroller, I always try to be really aware of the space I am taking up and not try to hog it all. But that’s just me :rolleyes:

So I ignored her and focused on trying to photograph the fireworks. I had a tree and a lamp in my way. These are the best ones...

DPP_0045_zps4ee34adf.jpg

DPP_0046_zps0563757a.jpg

DPP_0047_zpsc79cfa1a.jpg

DPP_0048_zpsd00741f1.jpg

DPP_0049_zpse655f2cd.jpg

DPP_0050_zpsa758a207.jpg

DPP_0051_zps2b27c241.jpg

DPP_0052_zpsd9546032.jpg

Sumrdog

Original Poster
The night was still young, so what were we to do?

DPP_0053_zps83a0fe95.jpg

Ride Pirates again of course!

DPP_0054_zpsb3ab2cfd.jpg

DPP_0055_zps46e30251.jpg

DPP_0056_zps35b3f9f0.jpg

The nice thing about going to Disney World with my sister is that we have many of the same childhood memories that we associate with being completely happy and one of those is riding Pirates of the Carribean. My sister says something about the smell in there relaxes her. I don't know what exactly it is for me. I suppose just the feeling of bobbing along in a boat with cannon balls exploding around me in a town getting burned and pillaged just puts me in my happy place...

This was our fourth ride of the day on PoTC and the cast members in the gift shop were getting to know us at that point, one in particular was really funny. My sister was fascinated with a chest that was in there, because apparently she has the same one at home. It was part of a display in the back and she really wanted to open it and see if the inside was the same. It was a fairly large wooden chest up on top of an even larger wooden chest. So she climbed up and tried to muscle it open with her tiny arms.

Then we heard a voice with a British accent behind us saying; "what are you doing?" We turned around to see a pirate pointing his sword at us.

"Ummm....o_O, nothing..."

He just looked at us like we were a bit nuts as my sister tried to explain that she had the same chest at home and she wanted to see what was inside Disney's version...(which didn't open, by the way)

After all that fun, I was ready to go and ice my foot again. It was hurting like crazy, I had been walking on it all day...So we caught a bus back to the resort. That night I didn't sleep at all because I was so nervous about my foot, at 4am I had a brilliant idea and I watched the clock until morning when I could go back to the expo put my plan into action....

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Day 3 February 23rd, My last ditch attempt to help my foot, The Animal Kingdom and Epcot…
I got up at 7am and let my sister know that I was going to try to catch the first bus to the Princess Expo so I could see about getting some help for my foot. So I ate an English muffin in the room, brewed some coffee and took off with the plan to meet up at Animal Kingdom when I was done.

I was on a bus at 8:15 and we arrived at Coronado Springs shortly thereafter. They were holding everyone outside of the expo...

DPP_0237_zps628ff595.jpg

This is the part of the line waiting to get in that I could see... it wound around the side of the building for quite a distance in front of me, and by 9am when they let us in I think it may have stretched back to the Animal Kingdom behind me...

Despite the fact that I was on a mission, I couldn’t help but first dash into the official race merchandise tent for a little shopping :p since I had skipped it the day before. It was much more manageable in the morning and I bought a cute little car magnet, and an “I Did it” T-shirt…Which as so many others before me; I promptly balled up and hid without even really looking at it. So as not to jinx myself…Then I moved on to the reason I was there. KT Tape.

For those of you who don't know, visit www.KTTape.com

I had seen their booth the day before and for some reason it didn’t register in my brain as anything that might possibly help me. Even though I am a nurse, I know nothing about sports medicine. I am good to have around if your heart stops beating or you need some bloody wound cleaned up, but I just don’t ever get exposed to these kinds of injuries in my job. The Doctor I had seen suggested that I get a really stiff orthotic for my shoes for work, but beyond that he wasn’t much help... My husband who is not in healthcare kept telling me to tape my foot, "because that's what all the football players do." I think I dismissed the idea because it just seemed too simple, but at that point I was out of options and willing to try anything...

Anyway, in the fifteen minutes I had spent shopping, my fellow injured runners were lining up at the KT tape booth where they were taping one painful body part free of charge for each person. I was 12th in the line and the line moved sloooowly…After almost 45 minutes of watching this process it was finally my turn. I had bonded with the other ladies around me, one was getting her knee taped, another her ankle. One lady got her low back taped. If you brought your own tape, they would tape up as much as you wanted and some people were leaving with every single joint taped…Why not right?

So a very nice and knowledgeable KT taper listened to me describe my pain. Then she asked me to rotate my foot inward as she wrapped the turquoise tape I picked around the area that hurt, within two minutes I was done. I put my shoe back on, marveled at how long the line had gotten and began walking away. My foot didn’t feel much different, but I had just gotten up and the pain was usually much worse at the end of the day. I was cautiously optimistic…

I took this photo of the lobby and went to catch a bus to Animal Kingdom.

DPP_0060_zpsecb87891.jpg

I had to walk about two miles to reach the bus for AK, by the time I reached the bus stop. My foot was still burning but the sharp stabbing pain that would shoot across my foot every time I stepped was GONE :p . I couldn't believe a flimsy piece of tape was capable of such a miracle...but it seemed to be real!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
DPP_0061_zpse526a695.jpg

My sister wasn't there yet, so I went inside. While I was waiting I made friends with this bird...

DPP_0062_zpsf2c414aa.jpg

It was 11 am and by my calculations we had just enough time for a two week safari, so we made our way to Africa...

DPP_0064_zpsd89fe357.jpg

The posted wait time was only 20 minutes so we hopped in line, I didn't pay attention to how long it actually took but it didn't seem too long...Our safari driver was in training and she sounded like she was reading a script most of the ride but that was ok, I was there to see the animals…
DPP_0066_zps585db952.jpg

DPP_0069_zps71b81068.jpg

DPP_0072_zps08defec9.jpg

DPP_0073_zps40caf256.jpg

DPP_0074_zps7864a44d.jpg

DPP_0079_zpsa2f5da46.jpg

DPP_0080_zpsee148dd0.jpg

DPP_0083_zps36d3a4b7.jpg

DPP_0084_zps261a1c92.jpg

I may be in minority for saying this, but I missed Ranger Wilson Matua and Catherine Jobson discussing the animals and the poachers on the radio…Baby red and the poacher’s camp was all gone at the end and in its place was an area devoid of vegetation and animals :confused: But the driver said that there were zebras we just couldn’t see them. I do like zebras maybe next time I go they will have gotten used to there new environment.

Sumrdog

Original Poster
We were hungry after our safari so we headed to Asia for some Yak and Yeti quick service, it was super-hot out and the place was so crowded…I ate most of my honey chicken standing up so no pictures. It was good, except too much sauce. I think my sister had the same…The bartender refilled my water bottle with ice so I could continue on my mission to keep myself well hydrated for the race the next day.

On the way out I saw these…I love henna tattoos.
DPP_0238_zpseb4296b2.jpg

Another restroom...
DPP_0239_zps55e4baed.jpg

Next I conquered the forbidden mountain, my sister kindly held my bag and camera, while I jumped in the single rider line! Five minutes later I was careening backward through the darkness...I didn't get my ride picture because my sister had my camera...It was pretty wicked though, I looked super scared. I honestly can't comment on the yeti and how it was working, I was having too much fun to notice...

We had one more ride must do before we left and that was Dinosaur. I didn’t like my sister’s expression in the first picture, not scared enough! So we decided to ride again, there was no line. The second time was a little better... and the guy sharing our row...he doesn't look like he's about to get eaten by a giant carnotaur either.
DPP_0085_zps305bba42.jpg

DPP_0086_zps42d9363a.jpg

I love the theming in Dino-Land!

It was close to three in the afternoon and we had to go if we were going to make our reservation in Epcot so we said goodbye to Animal Kingdom and moved on to Epcot.

Sumrdog

Original Poster
We got to Epcot pretty quickly and began to rush through the entrance to make our reservation which was at Via Napoli at the opposite end of the park. We got to the fountain in front of spaceship Earth and I took the token photo of my lovely sister...

DPP_0087_zpsc1ba6e2a.jpg

At that point we both wanted to ride Spaceship Earth since it's one of our favorite rides. That's when we decided to blow off our reservation since we were both still full from our lunch three hours earlier. So we boarded our vehicle for a trip through time and space...

DPP_0088_zpsa2c614ff.jpg

DPP_0089_zpsae4fd8fd.jpg

This outfit is wicked...

DPP_0090_zpsafaf3853.jpg

Sumrdog

Original Poster
And the end of Spaceship Earth Dame Judy Dench showed us our future...

DPP_0091_zpsf506ff4a.jpg

DPP_0092_zps0f99800b.jpg

After Spaceship Earth we walked toward World Showcase. On the way I stopped to take this picture, I should've waited for a monorail...

DPP_0093_zps2adda14c.jpg

While I was taking this picture a woman came around the corner and asked her companion's loudly, "Where is the big ball?" I can only hope she didn't mean Spaceship Earth because she was facing it...

We stayed out of her conversation and continued on our way. I stopped to fill up my water bottle so I could stay hydrated, because it was HOT! I skipped the margaritas in the interest of not adding a hangover to the list of heat and stress fracture as my pre race handicaps.

Then it was time for...

DPP_0095_zps991b14f8.jpg

DPP_0096_zps5542fe31.jpg

I like these guys...

DPP_0097_zpsbea071fb.jpg

This was the first time my sister had ridden this since the reboot. She was heartbroken to see that the cheesy couple from the 80's languishing in the hot tub at the end had been removed. It bummed her out for a few hours...

We were on a slow walk through Norway when we realized we were both hungry. I still wanted Pizza as my pre-race meal. I was regretting not making our reservation... Let me take a moment to say why I love and hate ADR's. I can never predict what my day is going to be like and when we are all going to be hungry. So I will pick a time that I think will be perfect, only to realize that the weather is gorgeous and no one wants to leave the pool to get to an early dinner. Or the kids are too hungry to make it to a late lunch etc...I don't know why I am so bad at predicting this. That being said, I love being able to make reservations and to have a plan about where we are going to eat. So we were over an hour and a half late for our reservation at Via Napoli but we decided to go and see if they would seat us.

When we finally arrived walk ups had a 45 minute wait, I apologized for missing our reservation and we were told; "Is no problem." And we were seated right away. Once we got inside the place seemed pretty empty. We had never eaten here before and I have read a ton of bad reviews, but I love wood fired pizza and that's pretty easy to make, so I decided to try it and form my own opinion. I ordered my favorite kind of pizza; margherita which is just plain mozzarella with basil, I added artichoke hearts. I love artichoke hearts I put them on everything at home. My sister got a pasta in cream sauce. I also had three glasses of water, in the interest of staying hydrated.

I took some pictures while we waited for our food...

DPP_0102_zpsbb0a60ed.jpg

The movie Enchanted had pizza ovens like this, super cool!

DPP_0101_zpsdfaa5077.jpg

The place was super loud, so it was a pretty conversation free meal. I would advise anyone out there looking for a romantic meal to not go here because of the noise. I think its because the ceiling is twenty feet tall. Our food came out pretty quickly and I actually remembered to photograph mine...

DPP_0241_zpscf7b6347.jpg

It was perfect, exactly what I wanted before the race, nothing too greasy, spicy, heavy or weird...My sister wasn't as happy with hers. It was too heavy, one of those things that sounds good but once you start eating it, its just too filling. We skipped dessert at Via Napoli the only thing I would've stuffed into me would've been a cannoli, but they didn't have it.

Instead we opted to visit the funnel cake kiosk at The American Adventure...We split a plain one with powder sugar...

DPP_0242_zps0d3402ab.jpg

I was too full from dinner and I couldn't finish my half. I decided that too much greasy funnel cake might not be a good idea anyway so I tossed it.

It was getting toward 7pm and I wanted to get back to the resort so I could try and get some sleep before the race so we made our way slowly back towards the park exit. I took a couple photos...

DPP_0104_zps41b601f5.jpg

DPP_0103_zps68036dd7.jpg

We had to hop on Maelstrom before we left. I love this ride because it is so random and bizarre. One moment a troll is yelling, "Disappear! Disappear!" and then the next a polar bear is chasing us toward an off shore oil rig. Classic.

DPP_0105_zpsec2ac77a.jpg

When we got back to the resort we got off at the Springs bus stop because I needed a scissor. I went to buy a tiny sewing kit and the cast member asked if I was going to do some sewing. I answered that I was just after the ridiculously tiny scissor. He says, Don't waste your money, and then opens a drawer and hands me a nice scissor. I was kind of shocked and thanked him profusely, promising I would return it. He wasn't overly concerned. What a nice guy!

I took one last photo...
DPP_0058_zpsa4e1b355.jpg

When we got back to the room, I laid out all my race clothes, my fruit snacks and set up the coffee maker. My foot was hurting a little but not bad. I decided to ice it one more time and then went to sleep around 10:30. My alarm was set for 2:30am. In less than 12 hours it would all be over and I was so worried that my foot and the heat were going to bother me and I wouldn't finish. But I wasn't going down without a fight!

lovepooh

Oh I am loving the trip report!! :) I think its awesome you have such a awesome supporting husband, I didnt think there many out there. I thought I had one of the last of the lot,glad to hear there are more :) My husband would love to ride pirates at leat 10x during our trip ..lol

I hope you finished the race!! I understand pain all too well, so its really awesome that you are detrimined to finish no matter what! Can't wait to hear!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Oh I am loving the trip report!! :) I think its awesome you have such a awesome supporting husband, I didnt think there many out there. I thought I had one of the last of the lot,glad to hear there are more :) My husband would love to ride pirates at leat 10x during our trip ..lol

I hope you finished the race!! I understand pain all too well, so its really awesome that you are detrimined to finish no matter what! Can't wait to hear!

Thank you!

Hopefully I can get the next installment in shortly...

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Day 4 February 24th, The Princess Half Marathon!!!

I forgot to mention that the night before the PHM, I was having a little pain in my left ankle which I attributed to walking funny because of the pain in my right foot. So I went online to the KT Tape website and followed the You Tube video instructions for how to tape ankles for instability. That's why I wanted the scissor in case I needed to cut the tape. I am really glad I did this...

Back to race day...

I awoke at 2:15 and shut off my alarm which I had set for 2:30, turned on the coffee maker and started to get ready.

My pile of clothing and accessories.
DPP_0106_zpsb7b94a6c.jpg

I run with the hippy runner waste belt which will hold an iPhone, a few credit cards, and some gels. My sparkle sleeves also have pockets so I slipped my fruit snacks in them and a chap stick. I was dressed pretty quickly. I put on sunscreen although it was probably unnecessary.

My pre-race self portrait...

DPP_0243_zpsbe49d6fe.jpg

I was on my way by 2:30 with an English muffin with honey and butter, a red powerade and my cup of coffee, fortunately the night before I had remembered to snag a disposable coffee cup from Artist's Palette. It was a ten minute walk to the bus stop. I was happy to realize that I wasn't too nervous and I was able to eat my English muffin without feeling like I had to choke it down...

There were very few of us waiting when the bus arrived at 2:50am so the driver decided to wait until a few more people showed up. Around 3:05 the bus was about two thirds full and we were on our way. We were dropped off a fair distance from the area where the DJ was set up and the first few buses had arrived. So I just fell into line with a few ladies.

This is looking back toward the bus drop off...
DPP_0244_zps68c1f99e.jpg

Let me just apologize right now for the photos... I opted not to run with a real camera, just my iPhone which is pretty awful in low light, and I also didn't wear my glasses (because its hard to wipe the sweat off my face with glasses on)... So I may not have noticed that pictures were a bit out of focus.

I just followed the crowd toward the DJ. I had no bag to check. So I just kept walking toward the DJ. I passed these neat stained glass things... I don't know who this random princess is.
DPP_0245_zps5c79bb7f.jpg

DPP_0246_zps356569cf.jpg

I got a volunteer to take my picture. This is my attempt at a curtsy...

DPP_0247_zps2b245dc3.jpg

So I walked past the DJ and found a whole realm of Porta Potties that had been undiscovered. So I used one. And then as I turned around I realized there was a meet and greet with Rapunzel my favorite princess. I had roughly two hours to kill so I hopped into line...

DPP_0248_zps28b972ab.jpg

After that I just found a spot on the far right of the DJ, just beyond the area to walk to the start corrals. It was still before 4am. I didn't feel like navigating the mob to see what Princess was doing a M&G on the opposite side. I found out later it was Snow White, no big loss for me there. I was super psyched to get Rapunzel though.

I did some stretching, some yoga, finished my PowerAde, used the Porta pottie again...Looked at my phone it was about 4:10am. I decided to go to my start corral. So I went through the runners only barricade and followed the crowd for another 15 minute walk...

DPP_0249_zpsebc6a9de.jpg

DPP_0250_zps53073695.jpg

Right after this sign the road forked and those in corral A-D went right and I went left with the other people headed toward E-H.

DPP_0251_zpsb85d08a3.jpg

My corral was pretty empty when I arrived so I walked about half way down and sat down. At that point I think I still had close to two hours until my corral would be let go. I had been trying not to think about my foot. But I did take this picture of my feet, just to let them know how important they are to me and how I really hoped we could work as a team and pull this thing off...;)

DPP_0252_zps65ff51cd.jpg

I don't think my calves are really that big in relation to my ankles. I would like to think that its the angle and the proximity of the lens of the camera...

Next I did what most people waiting around do these days. I decided to text someone. However it was 4:30am Eastern time and 2:30am Mountain time. So I was pretty sure none of my family or friends were awake. Luckily my favorite sister in law lives in France where it was 9:30am. So I sent her some messages to pass the time. Then I realized my phone battery was already at 60% :eek:

Damn that Disney Mobile Magic app! I didn't realize it, but since I was in the Epcot parking lot my phone GPS had been tracking me and sending updates back and forth for the last two hours. This was a real bummer because when I run, I use Run Tracker on my phone to tell me how fast I am going and how far, on a three hour run it will use about 70% of my battery. Which would've been fine if I was starting at 100%. I really didn't want my phone to die, I wanted to be able to take pictures, and without it I would have no hope of reuniting with my sister at the finish. I turned off location services on all my other apps, and decided to just keep an eye on the battery and see what happened.

At that point my corral was getting really full and I had to stand up. I could hear Sean Astin on the stage but could see absolutely nothing so that was too bad. Goonies was one of my favorite movies growing up...

I talked with the ladies around me and most of them were planning to walk a good portion. I really liked seeing all the costumes. It wasn't too bad of a wait because the people watching was excellent. And then before I knew it the wheel chairs were away.

DPP_0253_zpsa4fd88d0.jpg

That was my view of the first start...Then we slowly started creeping up as they released a group about every 6 minutes.

DPP_0254_zpsc4c334f6.jpg

And then it was finally our turn and we started a congested jog out of the start...
DPP_0255_zps2c6d1846.jpg

Sumrdog

Original Poster
I like to run with music so I put in my ear buds as soon as we had passed The Fairy Godmother at the start...I couldn't get my Run Tracker app to open, so I just ran without it for the first mile...

DPP_0256_zps0b8d7051.jpg

I messed with my running app a couple of times but I never could get it to work, so I gave up, that's when I realized that I should quit being such a cheapskate and get myself a Garmin for running or at least upgrade my iPhone 4... So I was a little concerned about how I would pace myself, because I have a habit of going too fast at the start of my long runs and I definitely didn't want to use up all my energy with the temperature already in the upper 60's. My foot was bit painful right at the start but as I relaxed into my stride, it improved.

I missed the sign for mile 2 because it was on the opposite side of the road and there was no way I could ferry across all the other runners to get a photo...I passed these Noodle Guys between 2 and 3...

DPP_0258_zpsf7fae4c9.jpg

And then sadly these guys...The line was huge and I was so afraid that my foot was going to worsen and I would need to walk later on. Since I was already starting so far back I didn't want to take any chances that I would get swept. So I took this photo and kept running :( ...

DPP_0257_zps2be77d91.jpg

Before I knew it the sun was rising and I was at mile 3...

DPP_0260_zpse4e22376.jpg

I tried to do some quick math to see how I was doing with my pace; but unfortunately I couldn't remember the clock time as I passed through the start...Luckily I signed up for text alerts and I received my 5k split time two minutes later. 41:50, Pace 13:28, estimated time to finish race 2:56:54. It was under 3 and a half hours so I was happy with that!

Since I couldn't really pace myself I made the decision to take a minute or so at every water stop to drink my PowerAde or water and then run the distances in between. Hopefully that would work...Soon we were approaching this and I was getting really excited for the part of the run I was most looking forward too...

DPP_0259_zps8ccee3a0.jpg

This photo is an example how my glasses free eyes thought everything was in focus. I was still feeling really good. I couldn't believe how good my foot was doing, it burned but the sharp pain I could not tolerate, had been gone since the tape application the day before. However we still had ten miles to go, so I was afraid to allow myself to be too excited.

I passed up an opportunity for this photo next, because the line was really long and I wanted to get to the Magic Kingdom... I am kicking myself for it now.

DPP_0261_zpsa93deaa3.jpg

The course really started to narrow after that and I found myself on the grass so I could get around people. I was really glad I had taped my ankles because running on the uneven grass wasn't too bad and it was a nice break for my foot... Quite a few people were walking at this point, but I wanted to keep running.
DPP_0262_zps02ffbdbf.jpg

Mile 4 was at the TTC, and lots of people were waiting to use the real toilets. I was happy that I didn't have any need for a bathroom and kept going. I did my best to weave my way through the crowds on the narrow road. I took some PowerAde and then water at the next stop.The air was really warm and heavy and I rolled down my sparkle sleeves and turned them into wrist bands. I love the race sleeves! No need to bring a throwaway sweatshirt. .

I made it up and down the narrow portion under the water bridge and to what I can only guess was The Mile 5 spectacular. I decided that I needed to stop and get a picture with the Genie, even though his puppeteer was missing.

DPP_0263_zps55c857c4.jpg

The giant puppets were pretty neat. Shortly after them we funneled into a one lane bottle neck that went backstage, I couldn't really run at the pace I wanted which was a little frustrating. But then I realized that A) I was still running and B) I was doing it at The Magic Kingdom. So I just went with the flow...And we entered through a side street by Tony's.

DPP_0264_zps6c819de2.jpg

I turned off my music so I could fully enjoy the experience...
DPP_0265_zpsff328cdf.jpg

I got a volunteer to take my photo...
DPP_0266_zpsa0b3152f.jpg

We turned in front of the castle and entered Tomorrland. The road spread out a bit at that point too, so everyone was able to run if they wanted.

DPP_0267_zpse2a663e5.jpg

I saw Alice and The Mad Hatter, I have met them before so I didn't stop.

Near the Carousel I got a text from my sister. She was planning to meet me at the finish, we had a little back and forth and I tried my best to walk off to the side but I was totally that person texting, walking and not paying attention :oops: And I was busted by MarathonFoto...

727315-1052-0028s_zpsf5501846.jpg

At that point the bottle neck at the castle reached epic proportions and there was no running anyway.

DPP_0268_zpsc003895a.jpg

DPP_0271_zps21085c82.jpg

I didn't get a picture with Royal Mickey and Minnie, but I did get this picture...

DPP_0269_zpsd0da6a98.jpg

I would like to think that Minnie is waving directly to me!

The view from the castle steps...Lots of people!

DPP_0270_zps8b319d9e.jpg

We turned into Frontierland and there was Jessie! She is one of my favorites!

DPP_0272_zps2de860a7.jpg

Right after Jessie was this...

DPP_0273_zps4a46bfcf.jpg

Almost halfway! The course took us backstage from Frontierland and there was a float with' I believe Cinderella and Prince Charming. There was also a water stop and I continued with my program of drinking both PowerAde and water at every stop. I also ate my fruit snacks at this point. I have been running with just the kids gummy snacks from the grocery store. I have found the most of the energy snacks designed for runners don't sit well in my stomach, I don't know if its because they are sweetened with maltodextrin or what... The gummy fruits are my go to energy snack, nothing fancy, just gelatin and sugar...

As I was taking this little snack break I got my 10K split. 1:26:09, pace 13:52, estimated finish in 3:01:45. I was super happy about that! I was staying very consistent without the help of my running app. My sister who was also getting the alerts texted me to let me know how awesome I was :p . Then I started running again...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom