Disney Without the Kids and The Princess Half Marathon...My First Trip Report.

This is my first trip report! I have wanted to do one for a while. There will be pictures!

Now for a little background on this trip; I am 36 years old and a mom of two. I work full time as an RN, my excellent husband encouraged me, yes, encouraged me to go to Disney World WITHOUT him and the kids so I could run the Princess Half Marathon!! This is something that I have wanted to do for years.

I kept saying “Really? You think I should do it?” and he kept saying; “yes go do it.” Of course I waited and waited, unsure if I should do it. It seemed so selfish! :( And then I thought of all the hours I spend daily caring for others, cleaning up messes, pairing up socks, wiping bums and noses etc… and I realized that I should do it! I do deserve to do something just for me :p ! So the night before Thanksgiving, I finally registered. The race capacity was at 99% and the next morning it was sold out... I found a frequent flyer ticket, went to DVC to book my room. Then I invited my sister to join me. She didn’t want to run but was super excited to come along.

Now all I had left to do was whip myself into shape. I never ran at all prior to three years ago when I ran my first and only full marathon. That was the distance I picked as my first running event, not a 5K or a 10K. I don't know why I do that to myself... Anyway I finished,it wasn't pretty but I did it. So since then I had really only been running 3-4 miles at various times. So I found a training plan that was realistic for my life. Which was two shorter runs a week and one long run. I was very good about making sure I didn't miss any of my long runs and most of my short runs. It was going beautifully up until two weeks before I was to leave. But more on that later...

Travel Day February 21st

I awoke before 4 am for my 6 am flight. I made my husband some coffee and then woke him up for the ten minute drive to the airport.( I had said goodbye to my pitifully sad children the night before :( and I promised my daughter I wouldn’t set foot near the new Fantasyland until we go back to Disney as a family…) I checked in for my flight and then headed to security which is normally pretty uneventful in our little country airport.

However it was rooky day at the security line that morning. The first thing I noticed was an angry looking TSA man pull a bag off the belt to confront its owner. The man had 3 full size drinks in his carry on... THREE! What the…?o_O He didn’t see the fifteen signs, the little video and the other six notices about carrying on liquids...Apparently not. To complement this episode, the woman right in front of me attempted to walk through the body scanner with her cowboy boots on :confused: . She was completely shocked when she was directed to remove her footwear. Really? She didn’t see everyone else taking off their Shoes?? It was so bizarre, I was just waiting for someone to light up a cigarette next, and be completely oblivious to that rule as well...

After all the fun at the x-ray machines we made it to Seattle without incident and I saw this sign, I really like signs.

IMG_3241_zps2a8f1d11.jpg

Those are my favorites how did they know? It was a little early so I opted for just the coffee.

My second flight; Seattle to Orlando was almost 6 hours long. The flight itself was pretty bumpy due to some massive snowstorm pelting the Midwest, but I was really enjoying myself, I read a book. It was lovely. Aside from the obvious lack of food and fresh air, it was a nice day. One of the highlights was the Biscoff cookies, they are my favorite. I only see them on airplanes and the flight attendant gave me two extras. Score!

Anyway, we landed in Orlando about ten minutes late. I texted my sister who had also just landed and we met up at Magical Express. We went ahead and let Mickey, Goofy and Donald collect our bags. I have to say being able to skip baggage claim never gets old!

We got into line and I was so excited. At this point you might be wondering where were we staying???

IMG_3242_zps4692ad5c.jpg

Well the only resort available using our points for us last minute travelers was Saratoga Springs, it was not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice but it would do. Besides I was so seriously excited to be at Disney World, I would’ve been happy staying at the Super 8 on International Drive. (I don’t even know if there is a Super 8 on international drive but I am sure you get my meaning.

I had done online check in and I don’t know why but anytime I have made a room request, I always seem to get the complete opposite of what I ask for. This trip was no different. I had requested a room near the main building, and instead we were put in the Carousel section, literally 0.6 miles away. I guess compared to the rooms at Animal Kingdom Villas our room was close to the Carriage house…

We were starving so we got dinner at the Artist Palette, I had the turkey brie sandwich, I don’t know where they hid the brie, but it was ok. (Sorry no pictures) Sis had the flatbread pizza and a salad. She said they were good. Then we got some peanut butter rice crispy treats to go and went off to find our room :) .

The hotel is very pretty but spread out, there are several ponds and fountains with walking paths connecting all the sections of the resort. Now I would like to take a break from this report for a small rant:

If one is going to make a lovely, garden filled resort with numerous buildings, fountains, pools and walking paths, perhaps some signs to point the way to various landmarks would be nice. For example a sign pointing in which direction to walk to reach THE CAROUSEL BUILDINGS.Maps that are oriented upside down, with a small circle showing “you are here” that have buildings labeled in a light shade of yellow, which aren’t lit at night, are difficult to read :mad:

Forty minutes later we found our room, a studio and this is the only picture I took….
IMG_0020_zpsab242e68.jpg

So after all the fun of looking for our room we decided to head to Downtown Disney, after another thirty or so minutes we found the boat launch. The weather was super warm and lovely and the boat ride was really nice. We walked around DTD for a bit. There was lots of music and happy people and after a glass of wine I was happy too. So I finally started taking some pictures but I only had my phone.

IMG_3244_zpse28af9b2.jpg

IMG_3249_zpsc25bd7a9.jpg

I liked the new Lego sculptures a bunch.

I bought my daughter a whole bunch of super cute socks from Little Miss Matched on sale. Every place I went gave me a 10% discount for being a DVC member which was nice and unexpected. Around 10pm we decided to catch the boat back and call it a night. I was pretty tired and my foot was starting to hurt quite a bit. More on that later….

Sumrdog

Original Poster
At the halfway point was a DJ and a fire truck. Lots of volunteers were on the side of the road, cheering and it was nice to be encouraged by total strangers. I was feeling really good, but the course was horribly narrow by the Grand Floridian. There was also some kind of Bachelor auction going on, I didn't stop, I'm not in the market for a man.

Mile 7!

DPP_0274_zps469f01a0.jpg

I spent most of the next mile on the grass trying to pass groups of people walking 3 and 4 abreast down the center of the road. But I was still smiling. I had put my music back on and I was running and singing along as I wove through the throngs of walkers. I forgot that no one else could here my music, so I am sure it must have been kind of funny to watch especially because I was dancing a little bit too...

I didn't get pictures of the markers for miles 8 or 9 because they were on the opposite side of the road from me. I don't remember what characters were out, but clearly none that I couldn't live with out, because I didn't stop. I remember seeing the kite and puppet guys again. I was in my running zone, and I was afraid if I stopped for two long, I might not be able to start again.

I got my 15K split and I was beyond thrilled; 2:07:36, Pace 13:41, estimated finish in 2:59:29. My sister texted me to let me know that my pace was remaining extremely consistent. I wanted to keep moving. So I responded with a smiley face. My husband and kids were also awake. And I got a message from them letting me know how proud they were of me! That made me so happy!

Mile 10!

DPP_0275_zps5ef8019c.jpg

I was still feeling really good, and my foot had become a dull, throb and nothing worse, Nothing I couldn't run on. With 3 miles left to go, my goal was no longer just to finish but to do it in under 3 hours.

My smile was briefly gone when I hit the on ramp that curved ever so slowly up and at an angle to the right. It was so loooong...I ran the first half of it and then my left knee started to hurt a little. I decided to walk in the grass until the road leveled out. I was so glad to reach the top of that thing. The green army guys were up there yelling at everyone to keep moving.

This is the view looking back toward the Magic Kingdom.
DPP_0276_zps4ae71d4b.jpg

I loved this guys shirt! It says ;"Why are all these princesses chasing me?"
DPP_0277_zps6576cb29.jpg

Once I was on level ground I was able to resume jogging. It was pretty congested and I did my best to politely weave through. That was one nice thing about being by myself I could just pick a line through the crowd and not have to worry about losing my companions.

Mile 11!
DPP_0278_zps41b2628c.jpg

Right after mile 11 was a woman announcing where people were from as they passed. And I was psyched to here her announce another person from Montana just twenty seconds behind me. I think there was less than ten of us from the whole state running.

The course took a hard right and turned to Epcot.

DPP_0279_zpsa37e00ca.jpg

I texted my sister to try and figure out where she was, but almost all my texts were failing to send. I think the cell towers were overwhelmed...We passed through the Epcot parking lots and then went backstage, I was starting to get tired so I walked for about a minute. Then I started jogging slowly again.

The course popped out near Spaceship Earth, once I saw that I started to run a bit faster, so close to being done, I was ready.
727332-1161-0006s_zpsa4dcd4df.jpg

I missed mile marker 13 because I didn't want to waste any time. Then I rounded a corner and heard the gospel choir singing and I totally thought I was going to cry. I was ridiculously happy, I had made it! I had been so afraid I wouldn't finish.

I searched for my sister but couldn't see her in the millions of people. I saw court jester Goofy and high fived him, but I wasn't stopping. As I approached the finish I heard my name announced...And then I finished!!! Geez I am tearing up just thinking about it.

My final time 2:58:58!!! 3 minutes behind my first 5K split estimate. I was so happy about that! Keeping up a consistent pace is hard for me even with my Run Tracker app.

I also had another, more personal triumph; I some how achieved the perfect level of hydration, I took fluids at every stop, yet I made it through the whole race without having to take a bathroom break :).

I continued into the finisher chute and got my medal, a banana, a snack box, a water and a PowerAde. I passed a lady who wouldn't let you by her if you didn't have an open bottle of liquids, it was probably close to 80 degrees at that point, I guess they were worried about dehydration, but I didn't notice anyone get carried off on a stretcher or anything. I think the fact that it was overcast made all the difference in the world for me.

I waited in a long line to get this picture taken.
727388-1013-0041s_zps44204c89.jpg

I called my sister and she was lost over by the bleachers. She was really disappointed because she had been watching the finish line on a giant TV and she had somehow missed my finish...:(

I told her that I would be waiting by the resort buses and she could meet me there, because I didn't really want to walk over to where she was at...So I sat down by the buses and ate my banana and looked in my snack box.
DPP_0281_zps2e1084db.jpg

I really wasn't too hungry so I decided to save my snacks for later. But I was so happy to see hummus and crackers, I think I ended up eating them on the airplane home. My sister showed up pretty quickly. She was really frustrated with the whole finish area, it was apparently very confusing and every volunteer she would ask for directions would tell her something different.

We decided that next year, (well hopefully next year) if she isn't running with me, then she will go to the Magic Kingdom first. It would've been nice to have someone to cheer me on along the course.

We took a half empty bus back to SSR and by the time we arrived. I was feeling mostly recovered. My legs were a little tight, and I wasn't moving fast, but it wasn't bad at all and my right foot was fine. My sister was so sweet she kept asking if I needed anything to eat, if I was feeling ok,.She has always taken good care of me, ever since we were little... I kept telling her that I honestly felt really good. I am never very hungry after running a long way. All I really wanted was another cup of coffee.

We took a few pictures with my medal and then we went back to the room so I could shower.

DPP_0284_zps3592961f.jpg

We had big plans for the afternoon. A DVC member preview of Oz The Great and Powerful at Epcot...

Mista C

What a great accomplishment and what a great report! Does the fact that you're running through the parks make it any easier since you're looking at cool scenery and stuff while running as opposed to just running down some boring straight road?

Sumrdog

Original Poster
What a great accomplishment and what a great report! Does the fact that you're running through the parks make it any easier since you're looking at cool scenery and stuff while running as opposed to just running down some boring straight road?

I thinks so! Also having the characters and the entertainment made it super fun! Disney does a great job of supporting runners, there was plenty of drink stops and I have never seen so many medical tents...

Sumrdog

Original Poster
CONGRADULATIONS!!! :)

Thanks!

Congratulations!! I'm so glad that the KT tape helped you...how are the feet now? :)

Thank you! As for the foot, I rested for the last two weeks and ran 5 miles yesterday with almost no pain! I was honestly amazed at how much the tape helped...It was almost miraculous. I should probably contact them, I bet they love hearing stories like mine. :)

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Day 4 continued, The Post Half Marathon Festivities...

I took a much needed shower and then I finally allowed myself to look at my t-shirt!

DPP_006_zps16ac7e93.jpg

Then I examined my medal, which was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!

DPP_004_zps6e0c7353.jpg

I ate a few pringles which is one of my favorite post run snacks, I don't really like them otherwise... I think it's the salt I am after. Anyway we didn't hang around long because, we needed to go. We had reserved a spot for the 1pm DVC members sneak preview of Oz The Great and Powerful in 3D. The movie was being shown at Epcot, in between Canada and the UK. And I really wanted to get lunch before the movie.

We had received very strict instructions with our movie registration, that we would be searched upon entry to the theater and we would have to check any phones, camera's or other devices capable of recording at the door. So I decided to leave my good camera behind. We walked out to the bus stop and I was happy to realize that my legs felt pretty good, not too sore. More than anything I was beginning to get ravenously hungry. There were a couple other princess runners on the bus and we were all proudly wearing our medals.:D

When we arrived at Epcot I was walking a little behind my sister and she was just turning to point out to me the shoes a lady walking in front of us was wearing. When at that moment the woman stumbled near the leave a legacy tiles. she twisted her ankle and the ankle strap on her five inch platform, red, patent leather heels snapped. :oops: I felt a little bad for her because she looked as if she may have hurt herself and she hadn't even made it to Spaceship Earth, but my dark side might have been smugly thinking; "That's what you get for wearing such ridiculous shoes on a day when you're going to be doing a lot of walking."

We left that tragedy behind and made our way to The Land. We got some fast passes for Soarin, the return time would perfectly coincide with the end of our movie. Then it was time for Sunshine Seasons! I love all the choices there. I got a giant Ceasar Salad and some sushi rolls. I can't remember what my sister ordered, I was too busy eating my own lunch to notice hers. I think she got a Ceasar along with something else. Anyway we ate our lunch much too quickly because it was almost 12:30 and I wanted to get good seats for the movie.

When we made it to the place that was showing the movie, it seemed that we were among the last to arrive. So we didn't have to stand in any lines. They were not kidding about the security, they took our cell phones and then we were searched with magic wand things before we were allowed inside. Once through security we got our goody bags :D! There was a movie postcard, a pin, a package of marigold seeds and then on the way out we got bubbles. All of it was packaged with the movie label.
Here is the postcard.
DPP_001_zps4387737c.jpg

And the marigold seeds, my favorite gift!
DPP_002_zps28970f9f.jpg

The movie was being shown in an enormous room, not a theater so we chose seats in the very last row because we were able to pull them back several feet so we could see past the people seated in front of us. It worked out really well.

Now for the movie, as I have mentioned. I had awakened at 2:15am and then run 13.1 miles that morning. Was a movie a good idea?...Maybe. I slept through a good portion of it though. My sister thought it was really cute. From what I did see, the 3D was amazing. The China Doll and The Monkey were really funny and the story seemed cute. But I missed a significant part of the middle. Everyone applauded at the finish so it must have been good. My sister and I are totally cut from the same canvas because before "The End" was finished its cursive scroll across the screen we were both out of our seats and on our way to the door without even having to discuss it.

Right outside the theater was the coffee and espresso cart on the edge of the Canada Pavilion. I got into line and got myself a much needed coffee. Then we walked to Soarin', we passed through the Oz Garden, that was set up for The Flower and Garden festival. That was kind of neat to see right after watching the movie. We were right in the middle of our fastpass return window, however a family of about 17 was having a hard time getting organized and were bottle necked at the ride entrance, they wouldn't let the two of us by despite the fact that they were still establishing whether or not everyone in the group was present and/or tall enough to ride. I became a little irritable watching them try to sort the whole thing out. After close to 5 minutes we were able to follow them through the line. And after a ride on Soarin' my annoyance was forgotten.
DPP_0285_zps088821bb.jpg

No trip to The Land complete without Living With The Land, I have huge vegetable garden, I wish I could grow things like a 9lb lemon...

DPP_0286_zpse0220f8e.jpg

DPP_0287_zps2fb9a086.jpg
We decided it was time for dessert and made our way back through world showcase to the France pavilion to try the new Boulangerie. I was super excited because I love pastries! We waited in a long line, it was a little tricky to figure out the process in the place because they had sandwiches, quiches and desserts in different cases, and I wasn't sure if I could just skip around people ordering food that needed heating to get a grab and go item out of the case. Eventually we decided to do the skip around, and I got an apple turnover. I forgot what my sister got, something with raspberries maybe. We made our way outside and what happened next will go down as one of the freakiest things to ever happen to me, ever...

Sumrdog

Original Poster
As I was saying, we left the France Pavilion with our treats and began walking slowly while we ate. I had a small plate for my apple turnover and I had taken maybe two bites. We were crossing the bridge that leads to the International Gateway and I set my pastry on the plate to say something to my sister. From behind I felt something smack into the back of my head startling me, I turned my head to the right and saw a glimmer of white, as feathers brushed across my face. As I turned back to look ahead of me, I saw a seagull flying away. Then I looked down at my plate...My apple turnover was gone!! :eek:

I made a bit of a scene as I tried to regain my composure, because the seagull had initially scared me half to death when it swatted me with its wings. And then I had said really loud, "He stole my tart!" So all the people within earshot naturally turned to look wondering who "he" was and what kind of tart I might have been referring to.

I decided it was time to call it a day after that. My sister was fine with it too. So we went toward the exit. On the way out we were stopped to take a survey and I re-told to the cast member what will forever be known as; "The Seagull Incident" to her. She was not surprised, apparently this happens all the time. Birds swoop out of the sky and assault people before they flee with stolen treats! She told me that I should've gone back into the restaurant and requested a replacement. Well now I know for next time...

We got back to SSR and I got off at The Carriage House, my sister was getting a headache, so she went to the room. I got us both dinner to go from Artist's Palette. We both had the special of the night which was meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. They packed it up all nice for me and then I went to the community hall to borrow a movie. Dinner was exactly what I needed. I chose Cold Mountain as our movie, it was so sad...

We were both asleep pretty early. We only had one day left of our sister trip and I planned on rising early enough to make the most of it.

Britt

Loving this trip report and I may or may not have teared up at you beating your goal by 3 minutes.

....ok. I totally did. That is so awesome. I was cheering for you while reading! LOL

Sumrdog

Original Poster
T
Loving this trip report and I may or may not have teared up at you beating your goal by 3 minutes.

....ok. I totally did. That is so awesome. I was cheering for you while reading! LOL
Thank you! I am so glad my trip report is interesting to others...I love that you may have teared up, because I have after reading other people's run reports. For me The only person I was racing out there was myself (and I won!). I think it's that way for most of us.

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Love your trip report! My BIL had a churro stolen out of his hand at Magic Kingdom. Those birds are sneaky.

I think that bird recognized my level of fatigue and selected me as an easy target. My husband thinks we should bring a pellet gun with us next time... That would go over well at the bag check.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom