Disney Without the Kids and The Princess Half Marathon...My First Trip Report.

This is my first trip report! I have wanted to do one for a while. There will be pictures!

Now for a little background on this trip; I am 36 years old and a mom of two. I work full time as an RN, my excellent husband encouraged me, yes, encouraged me to go to Disney World WITHOUT him and the kids so I could run the Princess Half Marathon!! This is something that I have wanted to do for years.

I kept saying “Really? You think I should do it?” and he kept saying; “yes go do it.” Of course I waited and waited, unsure if I should do it. It seemed so selfish! :( And then I thought of all the hours I spend daily caring for others, cleaning up messes, pairing up socks, wiping bums and noses etc… and I realized that I should do it! I do deserve to do something just for me :p ! So the night before Thanksgiving, I finally registered. The race capacity was at 99% and the next morning it was sold out... I found a frequent flyer ticket, went to DVC to book my room. Then I invited my sister to join me. She didn’t want to run but was super excited to come along.

Now all I had left to do was whip myself into shape. I never ran at all prior to three years ago when I ran my first and only full marathon. That was the distance I picked as my first running event, not a 5K or a 10K. I don't know why I do that to myself... Anyway I finished,it wasn't pretty but I did it. So since then I had really only been running 3-4 miles at various times. So I found a training plan that was realistic for my life. Which was two shorter runs a week and one long run. I was very good about making sure I didn't miss any of my long runs and most of my short runs. It was going beautifully up until two weeks before I was to leave. But more on that later...

Travel Day February 21st

I awoke before 4 am for my 6 am flight. I made my husband some coffee and then woke him up for the ten minute drive to the airport.( I had said goodbye to my pitifully sad children the night before :( and I promised my daughter I wouldn’t set foot near the new Fantasyland until we go back to Disney as a family…) I checked in for my flight and then headed to security which is normally pretty uneventful in our little country airport.

However it was rooky day at the security line that morning. The first thing I noticed was an angry looking TSA man pull a bag off the belt to confront its owner. The man had 3 full size drinks in his carry on... THREE! What the…?o_O He didn’t see the fifteen signs, the little video and the other six notices about carrying on liquids...Apparently not. To complement this episode, the woman right in front of me attempted to walk through the body scanner with her cowboy boots on :confused: . She was completely shocked when she was directed to remove her footwear. Really? She didn’t see everyone else taking off their Shoes?? It was so bizarre, I was just waiting for someone to light up a cigarette next, and be completely oblivious to that rule as well...

After all the fun at the x-ray machines we made it to Seattle without incident and I saw this sign, I really like signs.

IMG_3241_zps2a8f1d11.jpg

Those are my favorites how did they know? It was a little early so I opted for just the coffee.

My second flight; Seattle to Orlando was almost 6 hours long. The flight itself was pretty bumpy due to some massive snowstorm pelting the Midwest, but I was really enjoying myself, I read a book. It was lovely. Aside from the obvious lack of food and fresh air, it was a nice day. One of the highlights was the Biscoff cookies, they are my favorite. I only see them on airplanes and the flight attendant gave me two extras. Score!

Anyway, we landed in Orlando about ten minutes late. I texted my sister who had also just landed and we met up at Magical Express. We went ahead and let Mickey, Goofy and Donald collect our bags. I have to say being able to skip baggage claim never gets old!

We got into line and I was so excited. At this point you might be wondering where were we staying???

IMG_3242_zps4692ad5c.jpg

Well the only resort available using our points for us last minute travelers was Saratoga Springs, it was not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice but it would do. Besides I was so seriously excited to be at Disney World, I would’ve been happy staying at the Super 8 on International Drive. (I don’t even know if there is a Super 8 on international drive but I am sure you get my meaning.

I had done online check in and I don’t know why but anytime I have made a room request, I always seem to get the complete opposite of what I ask for. This trip was no different. I had requested a room near the main building, and instead we were put in the Carousel section, literally 0.6 miles away. I guess compared to the rooms at Animal Kingdom Villas our room was close to the Carriage house…

We were starving so we got dinner at the Artist Palette, I had the turkey brie sandwich, I don’t know where they hid the brie, but it was ok. (Sorry no pictures) Sis had the flatbread pizza and a salad. She said they were good. Then we got some peanut butter rice crispy treats to go and went off to find our room :) .

The hotel is very pretty but spread out, there are several ponds and fountains with walking paths connecting all the sections of the resort. Now I would like to take a break from this report for a small rant:

If one is going to make a lovely, garden filled resort with numerous buildings, fountains, pools and walking paths, perhaps some signs to point the way to various landmarks would be nice. For example a sign pointing in which direction to walk to reach THE CAROUSEL BUILDINGS.Maps that are oriented upside down, with a small circle showing “you are here” that have buildings labeled in a light shade of yellow, which aren’t lit at night, are difficult to read :mad:

Forty minutes later we found our room, a studio and this is the only picture I took….
IMG_0020_zpsab242e68.jpg

So after all the fun of looking for our room we decided to head to Downtown Disney, after another thirty or so minutes we found the boat launch. The weather was super warm and lovely and the boat ride was really nice. We walked around DTD for a bit. There was lots of music and happy people and after a glass of wine I was happy too. So I finally started taking some pictures but I only had my phone.

IMG_3244_zpse28af9b2.jpg

IMG_3249_zpsc25bd7a9.jpg

I liked the new Lego sculptures a bunch.

I bought my daughter a whole bunch of super cute socks from Little Miss Matched on sale. Every place I went gave me a 10% discount for being a DVC member which was nice and unexpected. Around 10pm we decided to catch the boat back and call it a night. I was pretty tired and my foot was starting to hurt quite a bit. More on that later….

Sumrdog

Original Poster
I love this topiary! I really want one for my front yard...

DPP_0204_zps833cc94e.jpg

Imagination.
DPP_0205_zpsc8226b61.jpg

Club Cool peaking out from behind a palm tree.
DPP_0206_zpsed0000fb.jpg

Another first, I went into the store with the really expensive souvenirs by the park exit. I took pictures of all the things I want. Of course they are mostly paintings and signs...

For my kitchen.

DPP_0207_zpsaba16eb1.jpg

DPP_0208_zps4b8c3584.jpg

DPP_0209_zps2a457668.jpg

For the bathroom.

DPP_0210_zps8d101b9d.jpg

For the living room.

DPP_0211_zpsa066c86e.jpg

This is my parting shot as I sadly waved goodbye.

DPP_0212_zpsb386d629.jpg

Then I caught the bus back to my room and was packed and asleep by 10:30. I awakened at 3:30am to my sister making coffee. And then before we knew it we were being dropped off at our terminal. We had to say a hasty goodbye:(, her security line was ridiculously long. Mine wasn't too bad.

Before my first flight had even landed in San Diego she was already home. After that I had a flight to Seattle and then a 7 hour layover before my little commuter flight home. It was a frequent flyer ticket so for 10$ I couldn't complain too much, but it was a long 7 hours...

I drank half of this beer, had some fish and chips, walked around, read two books, walked around, read some more, took a nap, walked around some more...
DPP_0291_zps3b0a8475.jpg

I finally got home just after midnight, 23 hours after waking up...(It took almost the same amount of time for us to travel to France last year). I was so glad to be home, I missed my family!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Some parting thoughts...

Saratoga Springs Resort.
This was my first time here and it was really beautiful. I would say that I liked it well enough.The proximity to DTD was a definite plus. The pools were certainly fun looking, there were lots of activities for the kids, beautiful jogging paths, the food that we had was above average. But it will remain as one of my last choices. For me I really like having indoor hallways and a centralized building even if the hallways are miles long. The place was just so sprawling that it made things like running to the main building to talk to someone at the desk at least a 30 minute project. However we were in the farthest away building, if one was in the Springs section they would have a completely different experience.

Running at Disney.
I loved it! It was so much fun. I will definitely do another Run Disney event. The crowding was a bit of an issue, but I was also so happy to see women of all shapes and sizes out there. I think Disney creates a very accepting atmosphere for people to feel like they can go out and attempt their first long distance run without feeling out of place or intimidated in a field of elite runners. That is such a good thing. I really had a great time even though I was alone. And the medal is so beautiful! My Phoenix Rock n Roll marathon medal looks cheap next to it.

DPP_005_zpsd030fbb4.jpg

and while I am on the subject of full marathons, I have my sites set on the WDW full marathon in January :D But that is a long way off and I will just have to wait and see if we can afford it. I might have to put it off until 2015.

The trip as a whole.
I am really glad that I gave myself permission to do this. I don't know if most mother's; myself included, take the time to do something completely for ourselves. And we deserve it, whether we work full time as homemakers or go to a job. I feel like I had definitely let my personal interests slip in the last ten years. I really had such a nice relaxing 5 days with my sister who I never get to spend enough time with. Hopefully I can get her to do a Disney half marathon with me in the future. The whole trip felt so unhurried and relaxed, we had no specific expectations or agenda, (other than ride POTC) I don't think I have done a Disney trip like that in forever.

My one gripe of the entire week was all the line holders. One person would hold a spot in line and then eventually a group of 4-7 people would push up through the line to join them. That's just annoying, I am tolerant of one person holding the line and one other joining them, but not a large group. I would never do that. It's so rude. For the most part our week was really fun so I won't let a few people with no manners bring me down.

So that concludes my very first trip report. And because I am super lucky this year, I may have another trip report to do very soon... Our family is going on our first Disney Cruise next week for spring break...shhh it's a surprise. The kids think we are going camping, hee hee hee! I can't wait to see the looks on their faces :)

Tidbit

ok 1st of all I loved your trip report!! I loved that "You did it!" You beat your time!!!! I loved that you were able to spend some alone time with your sister that is just awesome! Now I have a crazy question!!! Did I read that correct that the Back Lot Tour no longer does to the Pearl Harbor part with "guest's"? So it's CM's now?? That sucks!! I did it last March, and the next time we went to WDW I was gonna try very hard to get my boys "selected" as they will be old enough!! Darn!

lovepooh

I really enjoyed reading your trip report! Your right as mothers and wives we take very little time for ourselves!
Its nice you got to spend time with your sister, and you finished with all the issues you overcame, as I said you are very inspiring! Have a blast on the cruise! We did one a few years back, now we are addicted.

Our family trip is next month, its been 3 years since we went. Who knows maybe I will actually do a TR.. anyway have a great Vacation next week with your family! do the nightly shows its totally worth it!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
ok 1st of all I loved your trip report!! I loved that "You did it!" You beat your time!!!! I loved that you were able to spend some alone time with your sister that is just awesome! Now I have a crazy question!!! Did I read that correct that the Back Lot Tour no longer does to the Pearl Harbor part with "guest's"? So it's CM's now?? That sucks!! I did it last March, and the next time we went to WDW I was gonna try very hard to get my boys "selected" as they will be old enough!! Darn!
Thank you!
And yes they did not take any audience volunteers, you read it right. It is a bummer.

Sumrdog

Original Poster
I really enjoyed reading your trip report! Your right as mothers and wives we take very little time for ourselves!
Its nice you got to spend time with your sister, and you finished with all the issues you overcame, as I said you are very inspiring! Have a blast on the cruise! We did one a few years back, now we are addicted.

Our family trip is next month, its been 3 years since we went. Who knows maybe I will actually do a TR.. anyway have a great Vacation next week with your family! do the nightly shows its totally worth it!
Thank you! And as I keep saying I am beyond wicked excited for the cruise!
Have a great time in your trip! I hope you do a trip report!

Pooh'sBuddy

I like that topiary, too. Quite whimsical! Thanks for sharing your trip, and have a magical cruise. Can't wait to hear how your DHS portion goes. :)

Mista C

I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your trip report over the past week and a half! Some trip reports work for me and some don't... but I looked forward to checking the site each day when I got to work to see the continuation of your story. Congratulations on your marathon and on taking time out of your life to do something for yourself. Sad that it's over! :)

TakeMeThere81

... sometimes going with the flow will lead to a really cool serendipitous moment.

DPP_0190_zpsabf8de84.jpg

DPP_0191_zps1435701b.jpg

DPP_0192_zpsfd35bbd0.jpg

China.

DPP_0193_zps2223e65b.jpg

DPP_0201_zps09c6a8c3.jpg

Loving the continuation of your report! It really got me thinking about what life would be like at WDW going solo...weird, blissful, quiet. Sounds lovely! I loved what you had to say (bolded above) and those five photos were particularly some of my favorite! Beautiful!

lovepooh

I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your trip report over the past week and a half! Some trip reports work for me and some don't... but I looked forward to checking the site each day when I got to work to see the continuation of your story. Congratulations on your marathon and on taking time out of your life to do something for yourself. Sad that it's over! :)

I totally agree some reports just dont keep my interest, this one was very enganging and loved reading all the updates and couldnt wait for the next installment! I can't wait to read your report about your cruise! you are going to have a blast!:D

Sumrdog

Original Poster
I totally agree some reports just dont keep my interest, this one was very enganging and loved reading all the updates and couldnt wait for the next installment! I can't wait to read your report about your cruise! you are going to have a blast!:D
Aww! Thanks! I am so happy it was interesting to others!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Thank you!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Loving the continuation of your report! It really got me thinking about what life would be like at WDW going solo...weird, blissful, quiet. Sounds lovely! I loved what you had to say (bolded above) and those five photos were particularly some of my favorite! Beautiful!
Blissful and relaxing is right! Thank you!

GatorAsh

Just read through your report, nice job. Congrats on the run! I'm not so much of a runner, but would love to do a Disney race. Reading all of the running TR's are very motivating...

Tidbit

Thank you!
And yes they did not take any audience volunteers, you read it right. It is a bummer.

Ohhh ok well that sort of makes sense because it "can" be a little dangerous. I had fun when I did it last March, but I had to "ask" how to become a volunteer, and the CM told me....."just like that", and I said "like what?" LOL......she then told me "duh by asking Ohhhh LOL!!

I can't wait to hear about the Cruise!!

MagicMegan

Well it's a Thai Buddha statue and I am guessing it's some kind of offering, but I don't know for sure...

And Thanks!
I'm not kidding, for like 2 seconds I thought "why did she put her money on him?"... then I realized it probably wasn't your's. o_O I think I need a nap right now lol.

Sumrdog

Original Poster
I'm not kidding, for like 2 seconds I thought "why did she put her money on him?"... then I realized it probably wasn't your's. o_O I think I need a nap right now lol.

Ha ha! No it's not my money...That would be an odd place for me to stick it for sure. :p

I could use a nap too...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom