Disney Without the Kids and The Princess Half Marathon...My First Trip Report.

This is my first trip report! I have wanted to do one for a while. There will be pictures!

Now for a little background on this trip; I am 36 years old and a mom of two. I work full time as an RN, my excellent husband encouraged me, yes, encouraged me to go to Disney World WITHOUT him and the kids so I could run the Princess Half Marathon!! This is something that I have wanted to do for years.

I kept saying “Really? You think I should do it?” and he kept saying; “yes go do it.” Of course I waited and waited, unsure if I should do it. It seemed so selfish! :( And then I thought of all the hours I spend daily caring for others, cleaning up messes, pairing up socks, wiping bums and noses etc… and I realized that I should do it! I do deserve to do something just for me :p ! So the night before Thanksgiving, I finally registered. The race capacity was at 99% and the next morning it was sold out... I found a frequent flyer ticket, went to DVC to book my room. Then I invited my sister to join me. She didn’t want to run but was super excited to come along.

Now all I had left to do was whip myself into shape. I never ran at all prior to three years ago when I ran my first and only full marathon. That was the distance I picked as my first running event, not a 5K or a 10K. I don't know why I do that to myself... Anyway I finished,it wasn't pretty but I did it. So since then I had really only been running 3-4 miles at various times. So I found a training plan that was realistic for my life. Which was two shorter runs a week and one long run. I was very good about making sure I didn't miss any of my long runs and most of my short runs. It was going beautifully up until two weeks before I was to leave. But more on that later...

Travel Day February 21st

I awoke before 4 am for my 6 am flight. I made my husband some coffee and then woke him up for the ten minute drive to the airport.( I had said goodbye to my pitifully sad children the night before :( and I promised my daughter I wouldn’t set foot near the new Fantasyland until we go back to Disney as a family…) I checked in for my flight and then headed to security which is normally pretty uneventful in our little country airport.

However it was rooky day at the security line that morning. The first thing I noticed was an angry looking TSA man pull a bag off the belt to confront its owner. The man had 3 full size drinks in his carry on... THREE! What the…?o_O He didn’t see the fifteen signs, the little video and the other six notices about carrying on liquids...Apparently not. To complement this episode, the woman right in front of me attempted to walk through the body scanner with her cowboy boots on :confused: . She was completely shocked when she was directed to remove her footwear. Really? She didn’t see everyone else taking off their Shoes?? It was so bizarre, I was just waiting for someone to light up a cigarette next, and be completely oblivious to that rule as well...

After all the fun at the x-ray machines we made it to Seattle without incident and I saw this sign, I really like signs.

IMG_3241_zps2a8f1d11.jpg

Those are my favorites how did they know? It was a little early so I opted for just the coffee.

My second flight; Seattle to Orlando was almost 6 hours long. The flight itself was pretty bumpy due to some massive snowstorm pelting the Midwest, but I was really enjoying myself, I read a book. It was lovely. Aside from the obvious lack of food and fresh air, it was a nice day. One of the highlights was the Biscoff cookies, they are my favorite. I only see them on airplanes and the flight attendant gave me two extras. Score!

Anyway, we landed in Orlando about ten minutes late. I texted my sister who had also just landed and we met up at Magical Express. We went ahead and let Mickey, Goofy and Donald collect our bags. I have to say being able to skip baggage claim never gets old!

We got into line and I was so excited. At this point you might be wondering where were we staying???

IMG_3242_zps4692ad5c.jpg

Well the only resort available using our points for us last minute travelers was Saratoga Springs, it was not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice but it would do. Besides I was so seriously excited to be at Disney World, I would’ve been happy staying at the Super 8 on International Drive. (I don’t even know if there is a Super 8 on international drive but I am sure you get my meaning.

I had done online check in and I don’t know why but anytime I have made a room request, I always seem to get the complete opposite of what I ask for. This trip was no different. I had requested a room near the main building, and instead we were put in the Carousel section, literally 0.6 miles away. I guess compared to the rooms at Animal Kingdom Villas our room was close to the Carriage house…

We were starving so we got dinner at the Artist Palette, I had the turkey brie sandwich, I don’t know where they hid the brie, but it was ok. (Sorry no pictures) Sis had the flatbread pizza and a salad. She said they were good. Then we got some peanut butter rice crispy treats to go and went off to find our room :) .

The hotel is very pretty but spread out, there are several ponds and fountains with walking paths connecting all the sections of the resort. Now I would like to take a break from this report for a small rant:

If one is going to make a lovely, garden filled resort with numerous buildings, fountains, pools and walking paths, perhaps some signs to point the way to various landmarks would be nice. For example a sign pointing in which direction to walk to reach THE CAROUSEL BUILDINGS.Maps that are oriented upside down, with a small circle showing “you are here” that have buildings labeled in a light shade of yellow, which aren’t lit at night, are difficult to read :mad:

Forty minutes later we found our room, a studio and this is the only picture I took….
IMG_0020_zpsab242e68.jpg

So after all the fun of looking for our room we decided to head to Downtown Disney, after another thirty or so minutes we found the boat launch. The weather was super warm and lovely and the boat ride was really nice. We walked around DTD for a bit. There was lots of music and happy people and after a glass of wine I was happy too. So I finally started taking some pictures but I only had my phone.

IMG_3244_zpse28af9b2.jpg

IMG_3249_zpsc25bd7a9.jpg

I liked the new Lego sculptures a bunch.

I bought my daughter a whole bunch of super cute socks from Little Miss Matched on sale. Every place I went gave me a 10% discount for being a DVC member which was nice and unexpected. Around 10pm we decided to catch the boat back and call it a night. I was pretty tired and my foot was starting to hurt quite a bit. More on that later….

Sumrdog

Original Poster
February 25th our last day:oops:...Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

We were up and on our way by 8am the next morning, we made it to the Studios by 8:45am and they were already letting people into the park.
DPP_0107_zpse8736e20.jpg

Donald is my absolute favorite character and he and Daisy were meeting guests just inside the gate. I had to get a picture with my race medal which I was proudly wearing again..

DPP_0108_zpsc462a5bc.jpg

DPP_0109_zpsd9e7ca76.jpg

My sister mentioned after taking this picture that the "guy with the camera" was completely in her way. I told her that was the Photopass photographer and she should've politely asked him to move over. She said she didn't know who he was and couldn't figure out why he was taking my picture. She is so funny!
DPP_0110_zpsb47500d6.jpg

After my M&G we followed the rest of the crowd to Toy Story And got into line. The posted wait was 10 minutes but I think it was a little longer. My sister had never been on this ride. So I was really excited for her. I love the queue, its so clever and cute!
DPP_0111_zpsef688691.jpg

DPP_0112_zps95c7b327.jpg

Who remembers being completely entertained by these things? Now the kids have video games, and iPods and kindles...
DPP_0113_zps09d156f1.jpg

DPP_0114_zpsd34e56fc.jpg

DPP_0117_zps7b19db65.jpg

DPP_0116_zps7e0ae216.jpg

DPP_0119_zps7da10d94.jpg

I held up the whole line to get a picture of this guy.

DPP_0118_zps9eaedc3b.jpg

My sister of course loved TSMM, I think we both had pretty close scores, somewhere around 120,000. Nothing for the record books, but so much fun.

After we got off the ride, the fast pass return time was up around 12:30-1:30 so we got some fast passes and moved on for some treats.
DPP_0122_zpsf9f66bba.jpg

I had been wanting to try a red velvet cupcake for awhile and it was finally time.

DPP_0120_zps5de7a4a3.jpg

DPP_0121_zps81f58a7a.jpg

It was soooo sweet! I couldn't finish more than a quarter of it :eek: ... I know what you all are thinking, that I am a complete trip report failure when it comes to desserts. First I order hummus at Gaston's instead of the cinnamon roll, the next day I throw away half my funnel cake, I allow a seagull to steal my apple tart at Epcot and then on my last day, I waste this; a highly desired and well regarded cupcake...I don't know what's wrong with me. I am going to blame my mother and those rice cake and almond butter sandwiches she would send us to school with as kids o_O. I never stood a chance of having "normal" tastes in food.

Moving on. I decided it was time for a limo ride. My sister decided to sit this one out.

DPP_0123_zps5828dfff.jpg

Sumrdog

Original Poster
After Starring Rolls, we took a leisurely walk toward Star Tours. We decided to skip ToT because my sister didn't want to ride it. I didn't want to make her wait around for me all morning.

Another window.
DPP_0124_zpsa160f027.jpg

On the way to Star Tours I stopped and talked to the guys at Jedi Training Academy so I could find out exactly what I needed to do to sign my son up in the future. (We are taking our first cruise on The Magic very soon, and one of our stops is a day at Disney World. My five year old son is a Star Wars super fan, so it will be our primary mission to get him signed up first thing in the morning when we get there).

I love the new Star Tours!
DPP_0127_zps097ed5fd.jpg

DPP_0126_zps33150e13.jpg

We visited Hoth, my son is going to freak out when he gets to ride this, I am so excited! He is finally over 40 inches tall! Well that will be my next trip report...

We walked around the Streets of America after Star Tours. I never get time to look in the windows, it was really neat.
DPP_0188_zps7092e29f.jpg

We went outside the Muppets but didn't see the show even though its one of my favorites, I was in the mood for outside activities, since I would be on my way back to the chilly north the next day.
DPP_0128_zpse2bf0149.jpg

DPP_0129_zpsbf1dfa12.jpg

DPP_0185_zpsd9d91a43.jpg

Beaker is my favorite!
DPP_0186_zps7ae7a097.jpg

After that we decided to go on the back lot tour. I haven't done this in a long time, last time we did it my husband and my sister's husband were chosen as volunteers for the special effects part at that beginning. That part has been changed and they no longer take audience participants.

DPP_0132_zpsfe99a75e.jpg

I really like the prop warehouse and for the first time in a long time. I could stop and read all the tags.

DPP_0131_zpsa60fa075.jpg

DPP_0133_zpse563e717.jpg

DPP_0134_zpsaf974e34.jpg

Then we boarded the tram. I love this sign!
DPP_0136_zps8e1ea54c.jpg

Please sit calmly holding hands. Don't throw yourselves around all willy nilly!

Catastrophe Canyon!
DPP_0141_zps0d8669f5.jpg

DPP_0143_zpsfdbb226d.jpg

DPP_0146_zpsc42b9c64.jpg

DPP_0149_zps469d0afb.jpg

DPP_0138_zps730b87ea.jpg

I wish I could've gone into the sewing room instead of creeping by it.
DPP_0140_zps0c06fd2e.jpg

Todd L

Love this...I have run at different points over the last few years and This is making me want to start again. Thank you for that!!

Pooh'sBuddy

Congratulations on finishing with a great time, and that's great that the tape really helped. Your family was so sweet to send their support while you were running (I teared up at that!). I'm glad you scouted out the Jedi Training Academy procedure in advance. Your son will have a great time with all the Star Wars stuff. I think we'll also let them make their own droids for a cool souvenir.

aosdesign

I love viewfinders, such a great toy. I am sure if I showed my nieces they would laugh at it and go back to their Nintendo DS. My husband still has his childhood one in original Walt Disney container with Disney reels. I love looking thru them.

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Congratulations on finishing with a great time, and that's great that the tape really helped. Your family was so sweet to send their support while you were running (I teared up at that!). I'm glad you scouted out the Jedi Training Academy procedure in advance. Your son will have a great time with all the Star Wars stuff. I think we'll also let them make their own droids for a cool souvenir.

Thank you, I teared up too!
I am a little nervous about getting there early enough to get him signed up for Jedi Training because it's spring break week :eek:. But if it's all filled for the day, he will still be completely stoked to ride Star Tours and see the area around it...

I knew they had make your own lightsabers, I didn't know about the droids. I am so excited!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
I love viewfinders, such a great toy. I am sure if I showed my nieces they would laugh at it and go back to their Nintendo DS. My husband still has his childhood one in original Walt Disney container with Disney reels. I love looking thru them.

I miss my viewfinder, I remember having all kinds of stories. Who knows where it went, your husband is lucky to still have his! I used to have our original Atari 2600 with the game pong from about 1983, I wished I had kept it. My kids keep asking to get a Wii, I would love to show them what was at the cutting edge of gaming when I was 7.

Pooh'sBuddy

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Congratulations on a fantastic run. I struggle to run for a bus, so mad props!

Thank you! And I started out as a complete non-runner, only ran if something scary was chasing me. I was never an athlete at all. I think I am just stubborn and I was fueled by the disbelief of those around me when I first said, "I was going to run a marathon. But now I love it! So if I can do it, I believe that almost anyone can.

lovepooh

Thank you! And I started out as a complete non-runner, only ran if something scary was chasing me. I was never an athlete at all. I think I am just stubborn and I was fueled by the disbelief of those around me when I first said, "I was going to run a marathon. But now I love it! So if I can do it, I believe that almost anyone can.

I have to say your entire story inspired me! You and I are much alike in some ways we both have very supprotive husbands and families. I am also sooo not athletic, In fact I have a horrible back, 3 back surgies and overweight, I cant get through the parks without a scooter because of the pain, but because of what I read. I have a plan!
I know its going to take lots of hard work but I am going to get a trainer that will with work with my limitations and I am going to do this half marthon, not this coming Feb, no way would I be ready for that. I am shooting for Feb 2015. I know If I can work hard at it, I can do it. I might not be able to run it, but I will complete it. Thank you so much for being a wonderful inspiration!

Disneyfalcon

Congratulations! That is so exciting! And you beat your goal!
The tape story fascinated me! That's amazing technology there!
Your feet picture and it's description cracked me up.
As did the busted by marathon photo! Lol

Sumrdog

Original Poster
I have to say your entire story inspired me! You and I are much alike in some ways we both have very supprotive husbands and families. I am also sooo not athletic, In fact I have a horrible back, 3 back surgies and overweight, I cant get through the parks without a scooter because of the pain, but because of what I read. I have a plan!
I know its going to take lots of hard work but I am going to get a trainer that will with work with my limitations and I am going to do this half marthon, not this coming Feb, no way would I be ready for that. I am shooting for Feb 2015. I know If I can work hard at it, I can do it. I might not be able to run it, but I will complete it. Thank you so much for being a wonderful inspiration!

Three back surgeries yikes! When you do this you are going to be the one inspiring people! You can do it! You start out with a small distance and everyday you work on it you just go a little further and a little further. I am so excited for you, keep imagining the finish! I am so honored to have inspired you, I want to hear about your progress!

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Congratulations! That is so exciting! And you beat your goal!
The tape story fascinated me! That's amazing technology there!
Your feet picture and it's description cracked me up.
As did the busted by marathon photo! Lol

Thank you! That tape is amazing, I still need to write to them and let them know that I am a KT tape miracle...

Sumrdog

Original Poster
Ok I am going to do my best to wrap this up tonight since I don't have to work tomorrow :)

February 25th our last day cont. (We had just finished the back lot tour)

My sister and I are children of the 80's, so I had to take a picture of the Splash fountain.
DPP_0189_zpscddec7de.jpg

It was time for our fast pass return and another spin on TSMM.

DPP_0156_zps832dcb1c.jpg

DPP_0155_zps7ef98f65.jpg

I think our scores were pretty similar to the first time.

Next was Walt Disney One Man's dream, another first for me. The kids have never had the patience for me to read all the plaques. We really got to see the whole thing. I enjoyed it.
DPP_0163_zpsf0c89a45.jpg

DPP_0164_zpsc3df83af.jpg

I really liked all the models. I wonder who makes them? They are so cute and detailed...I would love to have the job of the model maker for Disney!

We had lunch at ABC Commissary. This was our first time eating here and I really liked it. We both had the arugula and quinoa salad along with French fries...We don't want to be too healthy. This is a vacation after all! I loved the salad.
DPP_0153_zps551cfca9.jpg

Since we were right there I think we saw Indiana Jones next.

DPP_0175_zpsb439a4d6.jpg

DPP_0176_zps88173337.jpg

DPP_0178_zpsf1202877.jpg

DPP_0180_zps41f4ca78.jpg

I hadn't seen Indie in a while, it was entertaining, but I do think it might be time to change up the script a little.

We had 3:45 reservation for Mama Melrose, another restaurant that people love or hate. But I really like the flatbreads and the salads there.

On the way we saw this guy! I really hope my son gets to fight Darth Vader someday. He will be excellent at it. He practices with his light saber a few hours a day...
DPP_0181_zpsf5fe9383.jpg

Another window.
DPP_0182_zpsc65ad5e8.jpg

DPP_0130_zpse62e318f.jpg

I had reserved us the Fantasmic Dinner package online, because I didn't want to waste two hours lining up for the show. When I made the reservation there was absolutely no mention that I had to order an appetizer, entrée and dessert, or that it was a fixed price meal. We have never done this package before and I naively assumed that we could just order whatever we wanted off the menu and move on with our Fantasmic reserved seating. Needless to say when I checked in I was informed that it would be $35.00 each and that we would be having a three course meal. That was not what I had in mind. My sister and I are grazers, we don't sit down and eat a whole lot in one meal. I explained to the manager that there was a misunderstanding and that the website did not inform of this. She was aware of the problem and I was not even close to the first person to not want all that food and to have no idea that they had to pay a fixed price...I suppose it is a pretty good deal if your really hungry, but it wouldn't be for us. Anyway she agreed to give us the Fantasmic tickets and let us just order whatever we wanted.

We shared a calamari appetizer. I had a flatbread and I cannot remember what my sister had. And I took no pictures of lunch. But I will say it was good and I have never had a meal at Mama Melrose that I didn't like.

After our second lunch we went on...
DPP_0167_zps874d6e39.jpg

DPP_0168_zpscc0c3df1.jpg

DPP_0169_zps2ab51ec2.jpg

DPP_0170_zps281986a1.jpg

DPP_0174_zps92906698.jpg

It was around 4:45 pm when we finished up with that, we had two hours until Fantasmic. So we decided to hop a Friendship to Epcot. While we were waiting for the boat a Florida downpour of epic proportions hit. So I put my camera away.

Sumrdog

Original Poster
We rode the boat until we reached the Y&B dock; by then it had stopped raining. We decided to get out and walk from there because the boat was extremely crowded and the air was hot and damp. I can't describe it adequately but we were jammed into our row jelly tight and we both thought we might have a freak out because of the lack of air movement.

On our way past the Beach Club we noticed that some kind of catered special event had been in the midst of being set up on the beach, unfortunately the downpour had ruined all the tablescapes. I really hope it was a corporate thing and not someone's wedding. I doubt it was someone's wedding because there was about thirty tables and who could possibly afford a wedding at Disney World with over a hundred guests. :eek: But whatever it was, the rain had really messed it up.

My sister was starting to feel like she needed to go back to the room and pack up her stuff. DME was going to pick us up at 4am :( the next morning. I had done most of my packing when I got up and I really wanted to stay out. So I walked her to Innoventions, from there she could walk toward Spaceship Earth and find her way out without getting lost.

So there I was facing another first, alone in a Disney Park...The very first thing I did was buy a rain poncho, because using reverse psychology that would ensure that no more rain would fall that night. (Which totally worked BTW).

Then it was on to the single rider line to try out Test Track 2.0.
DPP_0290_zpsf836058e.jpg

Here I am with a car load of strange guys...

I didn't love TT2.0 as much as I liked the original. I think part of the problem was that my line completely skipped the car design piece, had I done that maybe I would have gotten it. I didn't even realize that I missed something until I got into my car. Aside from that, the queue was very bland for me, but I am just not that into neon and darkness. I missed the crash dummies and the chaos. This was very cold and sleek. As for the ride part other than the missing bumps the course is the same, the fast part is fun. Maybe next time I will get to design my own vehicle and I will like it better.

After Test Track I went toward World Showcase, if I wanted to make it to Fantasmic I needed to head back. That's when I decided to just stay at Epcot because its my favorite park and I didn't want to waste time changing parks again. I know what you're thinking, that I made such a fuss about my Fantasmic reserved seating and I didn't even use it :rolleyes:. But I had a lovely time at Epcot and I don't regret my decision at all. I don't like to always stick to the plan, sometimes going with the flow will lead to a really cool serendipitous moment.

I started taking some pictures which I rarely have time to do in my regular life.
DPP_0190_zpsabf8de84.jpg

DPP_0191_zps1435701b.jpg

DPP_0192_zpsfd35bbd0.jpg

China.

DPP_0193_zps2223e65b.jpg

DPP_0194_zps31186197.jpg

DPP_0195_zpsb2a07e6f.jpg

DPP_0196_zps63d05350.jpg

DPP_0197_zpsa6674726.jpg

DPP_0198_zpsdb5ee5a4.jpg

DPP_0199_zps61475211.jpg

DPP_0200_zps8176eb5a.jpg

DPP_0201_zps09c6a8c3.jpg

Italy.

DPP_0202_zps69fc04fc.jpg

DPP_0203_zps963c632e.jpg

For those of you into photography I am sure you can tell by now that I didn't have a tripod and I hate using a flash, so all my photos are really grainy and have a shallow depth of field because my ISO was at 6400 and my aperture was wide open. But that's ok it was like an added challenge. I was having lots of fun. It has been a long while since my camera and I had some alone time.

I put my camera away in Morocco and got myself a cocktail. I had the Sultan's Colada. It was delicious! I sipped on that for a bit and walked all through the pavilion. Morocco is one of my favorites. I traveled there in high school and I loved looking at all the rugs, and the clothing. I am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol and when I caught myself almost paying 75$ for a complete belly dancer outfit and instructional DVD, I realized it was time to get some food in me. (Just kidding, I never would've paid that much ;))

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom