Disney with my parents

me_stitch

Premium Member
I have already booked a trip for next Sept. 29th - Oct. 10th at Coronado Springs. Here's my concern. My parents are coming with us this trip and my mom has a bad hip. I'm worried that if I don't get a preferred room that she will have to walk alot more than she would like to. It's different at the parks because she will be able to sit down when she needs to but walking to El Centro to get something to eat or just walking to the bus stops might get old if we're say in the Rancho's or somewhere far from El Centro. So, I am comtemplating switching to POFQ because everyone says how small it is and how everything is close. I'm also concerned about crowded busses after the parks close and the possibility of her having to stand because younger people don't seem to be as curtious as they once were. Anyway, give me some thoughts on this. I'm sure my mom would just be a trooper if she had to walk alot but I'm trying to make this the best possible trip they can have. Probably the last big trip they will go on, at least with their grandkids and us.

zurgandfriend

I have not stayed at Coronado yet but yes I feel that POFQ is a compact resort as compared to some of the larger moderate resorts, POR for example.

Renting an ECV would be on option, there have been some strong opinions expressed on this site about ECVs, me included, but I believe those opinions were for those that don't need and ECV and are just a little lazy.

One thing my mom used to do was carry her cane with her. You would be surprised how many young people were willing to give up a seat or hold a door when they saw an older woman with a cane. It also came in handy to "protect" her space and stop line jumpers.

Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

Grumpy2005

POFQ is small and it doesnt take no time to get from one end to the other.A ecv would work well if you want one she might feel better at the end of the day. She can still park it and get in line to ride the rides. My take is stay at POFQ we love that place.

Upvote 0

docdebbi

this may sound counter-intuitive, but consider fort wilderness. we get a cabin, you drive right to it and park 5 feet from the front door. of course, that means renting a car, but if mom has problems..........so worth it. and cheaper than having to rent her an ecv daily by the end of the trip cause her hip gave out. and if she has a bad hip, she may have a handicapped parking sticker, you can park right at the front of the lots everywhere.
how do i know this? i have taken my 80 year old parents. they did fine with a few accomodations like a car and close parking.
the cabins are HUGE, so much room, can get some groceries and have breakfast in the room every morning and save time and money.
and the best, they cost no more, or maybe less, than the other moderates.

Upvote 0

tiaragirl

You could always go the wheelchair route. My grandmother has bad knees (they've since been 'done') and uses a wheelchair. Grampie pushes her, and they take 'er slow, but that's cool. THat way, there would be no problem waiting for buses, she'd always have a seat!

ECV is obviously an option as well, particularly if no one will be able to commit to pushing a wheelchair.

Upvote 0

me_stitch

Premium Member
Original Poster
thanks for all of the suggestions. my mom wouldn't get a wheelchair or ecv, she's stubborn like that. I think I'll suggest the cane though, that way maybe people will at least offer her a seat on a crowded bus. Now I just have to decide on wether or not we want to switch to POFQ. :brick:

Upvote 0

accord99cutie

Premium Member
Don't bother switching! Just request a room in 8B, I don't believe it is preferred location price wise. It is close to the pool and a bus stop, and not far from el centro! If you are worried about the buses I strongly suggest sticking with Coronado! we tried out POR our last trip and the busses always shared at the end of the night with POFQ and we always had to wait for a 2nd bus and were always crammed on the bus like sardines! At Coronado I have NEVER had any issues like that!

Upvote 0

Disneybird

Be sure to have it noted on your reservation that you need a location close to a bus stop and restaurant because one member of your party has a hard time walking a long distance. Disney is usually good about working with you on things like that.

As for POFQ, my parents have stayed there many times and usually get a room very close to the lobby, bus stop and restaurants. I have just asked reservations to note that they are elderly and have trouble walking. It's always worked out great. Also the bus picks up first at POFQ before going to POR, so seating is never a problem on the way to the parks. Buses can be crowded leaving the parks sometimes, but that can happen with any resort.

One more thought, even if she won't use an ECV or wheelchair in the parks, most of the resorts have a complimentary wheelchair you can use to get around the resort if needed. By the end of a long trip, she may decide using one in the parks is not such a bad thing too.

Upvote 0

TxNewsies

We just had almost the same experience in Aug with my inlaws. My mother in law also has a very bad hip and refused to get a chair. She made it through though! She took a lot of breaks while we would ride something that she couldn't. Also, as for crowded buses at the end of the day. Twice, someone really nice would offer their sit to her so she wouldn't have to stand. So she never stood while on the bus.

She was tired and sore every day but she got through it - I think because she loved seeing her grandkids experience WDW for the first time. She was determined to be there every step of the way and didn't want to slow us all down. She loved the trip - bad hip and all.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

At Coronado, each section has its own bus stop, so walks to the buses aren't bad at all. It's the walk to the food court area that may be a problem. I haven't stayed there in a couple of years so I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that the buses would go to the individual sections of the resort first, then the main building. If this is true, you could just ride the bus up to the main building for breakfast, then catch the park bus right from there.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

You are correct in that FQ is a more compact resort and probably would be better for someone with mobility problems, although I would seriously go for the ECV. Walking then becomes a non-issue and you can choose whichever resort makes you happy in any area and she will be fine. Also the walking at the resorts really is minimal compared to the parks. A friend a few years back broke her ankle just days before a trip. We did rent an ECV for her and it worked out GREAT!!!! She was able to comfortably go with the group everywhere without even thinking about it. At one point she was at the Studios and had just missed the boat to EPCOT. Rather than wait, she just motored her way on over on her trusty ECV via the Boardwalk an into EPCOT!!!! I'm sure you will love whichever of the two resorts you do choose. Have a great time!!! Marie

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom