Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

dreamfinder

Uh...do you need to carry a water bottle with you during a half? How far apart are the H20 stops typically?

Most decent races will have hydration stops somewhere between 1 & 2 miles apart. If you train similarly, then you shouldn't have a problem. That said, they did run of water towards the end of a race a few years ago. Can't recall if it was a half or the full, and if it was overly hot or they just seriously mis-dispersed the water that year, but runDisney usually does a good job.

Powerade is typically first, then water. Theory being you will grab the Powerade first and get the electrolytes that your body needs in a longer race, more than just the fluid.

You shouldn't need to bring water, but if you train with something else you may want to bring/carry a bottle. For instance, I think 98% of all races I have done offer the typical lemon-lime Gatorade/Powerade, but this past January, runDisney had clear cherry flavor instead. I usually train with whatever I have on hand (freebies from other races and the like) so it didn't bother me, but that flavor/mixture shift can throw some people off. Especially if you are relying on the electrolytes more than the hydration.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Most decent races will have hydration stops somewhere between 1 & 2 miles apart. If you train similarly, then you shouldn't have a problem. That said, they did run of water towards the end of a race a few years ago. Can't recall if it was a half or the full, and if it was overly hot or they just seriously mis-dispersed the water that year, but runDisney usually does a good job.

Powerade is typically first, then water. Theory being you will grab the Powerade first and get the electrolytes that your body needs in a longer race, more than just the fluid.

You shouldn't need to bring water, but if you train with something else you may want to bring/carry a bottle. For instance, I think 98% of all races I have done offer the typical lemon-lime Gatorade/Powerade, but this past January, runDisney had clear cherry flavor instead. I usually train with whatever I have on hand (freebies from other races and the like) so it didn't bother me, but that flavor/mixture shift can throw some people off. Especially if you are relying on the electrolytes more than the hydration.

They've gone back to the lemon-lime. Which now explains the comment I heard from one runner. I just hate that stuff, no matter the flavor.

The hydration tables usually have both. Water in white paper cups and Powerade in the blue branded cups. Alternate between water and sports drink. If it's warm, I'll grab an extra cup of water and pour it on my head.

dreamfinder

The hydration tables usually have both. Water in white paper cups and Powerade in the blue branded cups. Alternate between water and sports drink. If it's warm, I'll grab an extra cup of water and pour it on my head.

Most races will try to use different cups between the two. If in doubt, listen to the volunteers they will tell you. And as a last resort the volunteers with water are usually kinda "Meh" if they get splashed, while the ones trying their best not to get wet are passing out energy drinks. Nothing quite like standing on the side of road all sticky.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Most races will try to use different cups between the two. If in doubt, listen to the volunteers they will tell you. And as a last resort the volunteers with water are usually kinda "Meh" if they get splashed, while the ones trying their best not to get wet are passing out energy drinks. Nothing quite like standing on the side of road all sticky.

In the sun for hours....on a warm day.

MM311

Registration is delayed again... Hope there’s nothing wrong with the event itself!

Yeah, People are freaking out on social media about it, I know they can't divulge everything going on, but they really need to provide more specific information stating that it isn't going to be canceled this year, considering this is exactly what happened before the West Coast races were ultimately canceled.

Figment82

The way they worded their post makes it sound like they’re still confident in the actual race weekend, just something amiss with the registration process. I’m sure hoping that’s the case, this is my perfect status race and I definitely don’t want to see anything happen to this event!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Website stated that updates will be provided this week. I think @Figment82 is correct, something isn't working with the registration process. Remember @surfsupdon couldn't access the AP link and reported it. The DVC link had been updated to show early registration would start today - it now states registration is delayed.

I don't think this is Anaheim situation. However, rD does need better tech. Everything's working on Active.com, just purchased a race jacket for Dark Side for SIL.

MM311

The way they worded their post makes it sound like they’re still confident in the actual race weekend, just something amiss with the registration process. I’m sure hoping that’s the case, this is my perfect status race and I definitely don’t want to see anything happen to this event!

I think all the DL stuff just left a bad taste in people's mouths, I'm sure this race will still go on, at the end of the day it may just be an IT issue that needs to be resolved. I've done other Run Disney 5k and 10k Races before, but this (hopefully) will be my first Half Marathon ever, so I'm really hoping it happens...

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think all the DL stuff just left a bad taste in people's mouths, I'm sure this race will still go on, at the end of the day it may just be an IT issue that needs to be resolved. I've done other Run Disney 5k and 10k Races before, but this (hopefully) will be my first Half Marathon ever, so I'm really hoping it happens...

I agree, it's probably an IT issue.

LAKid53

Premium Member
All kinds of conspiracy theories out there in social media. Disney isn't the greatest when it comes to IT. Especially when having to link to a 3rd party.

MM311

All kinds of conspiracy theories out there in social media. Disney isn't the greatest when it comes to IT. Especially when having to link to a 3rd party.

I've often wondered why one of the biggest companies in the world has some of the most worst online tech issues I have ever seen. I understand they are dealing with huge numbers of people trying to log on at the same time, but you would think by now they would be prepared for it...
But then again I have similar issues with Ticketmaster and you would think they would be equipped to handle the volume as well :rolleyes:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I've often wondered why one of the biggest companies in the world has some of the most worst online tech issues I have ever seen. I understand they are dealing with huge numbers of people trying to log on at the same time, but you would think by now they would be prepared for it...
But then again I have similar issues with Ticketmaster and you would think they would be equipped to handle the volume as well :rolleyes:

Agree. Amazon can handle Cyber Monday. Surely Disney can figure out how to handle race registrations, ADRs, FP+ and online shopping without the constant IT glitches.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom