Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Ariel484

SyracuseOrange

Awesome find @cloe111479 !! They posted a few other things too.

Wine and Dine course: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/wine-dine/W&D13_Map.pdf
5K course: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/wine-dine/2013MJJ5K.pdf
Corrals: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/wine-dine/CorralAssignmentsWnD.pdf

They did indeed add more corrals and have them less spaced out. I'm in corral E...last year would have been B. o_O Curious to see how it goes!
Darn - looks like I'm going to be in corral F. You need time proof from a race within the past year, right? I'd be much further up if it weren't for that.

Ariel484

Darn - looks like I'm going to be in corral F. You need time proof from a race within the past year, right? I'd be much further up if it weren't for that.
Has to be a race after July 1, 2011 per the registration area of runDisney.com.

I'm okay with my placement. They're spacing the starts out a lot less than they used to...the wheelchair racers start at 9:58 and my corral (E) starts at 10:09.

SyracuseOrange

Has to be a race after July 1, 2011 per the registration area of runDisney.com.

I'm okay with my placement. They're spacing the starts out a lot less than they used to...the wheelchair racers start at 9:58 and my corral (E) starts at 10:09.
Thanks. Back of the line it is for me :)

Edit: Just checked using my waiver, and they stuck me in K instead of in the back in L. How nice of them :D

Last edited:

dreamfinder

They did indeed add more corrals and have them less spaced out. I'm in corral E...last year would have been B. o_O Curious to see how it goes!

There are more corrals, but they are also different sizes. The first few are 500s, with a 2 minute gap, then 1000s with a 3 minute gap, etc. Faster runners in a smaller corral with a smaller window. So corral D now starts like 6 minutes after A, but under the old system D would have most likely been in corral B starting 7 minute after A. Helps to space them out much more efficiently I found. Gets the faster runners off and spacing out at their appropriate paces since the old corral A encompassed a much larger variety in paces, while the later corrals are much more uniform.

Ariel484

There are more corrals, but they are also different sizes. The first few are 500s, with a 2 minute gap, then 1000s with a 3 minute gap, etc. Faster runners in a smaller corral with a smaller window. So corral D now starts like 6 minutes after A, but under the old system D would have most likely been in corral B starting 7 minute after A. Helps to space them out much more efficiently I found. Gets the faster runners off and spacing out at their appropriate paces since the old corral A encompassed a much larger variety in paces, while the later corrals are much more uniform.
Good glad to hear you had a good experience. I definitely applaud the changes runDisney has been making with corralling people (more stringent in asking for proof of time, more/smaller corral, etc.). They really are coming through on their promises to make the races better. I'll be very curious to see how many runners they let into the WDW Half in January.

Ariel484

Alright Jingle Junglers (??) and Wine & Diners...one month from today is the day! :D How's training going for everyone??

I just ran a half here at home on Sunday so after a couple of days of rest I am now (in my mind) officially in Wine & Dine training mode and am starting to get really excited!! Woohoo!

In trip planning news, we got our DME book in the mail, which was exciting until I realized that it had problems...husband and I are flying in separately, and he wasn't listed in the book at all. I was listed in the book but with his flight number, not mine. And we only got one luggage tag (which will probably be okay because I'm pretty sure that husband will only take a carry-on, but still...). So I called and am waiting on a new one. We're also in the Magic Band test, so I think those should ship out tonight or tomorrow...very curious to see how those work out! We also got a fastpass for Be Our Guest lunch, which I'm really excited about. I ate lunch there last month and it was FANTASTIC.

Other than that I think I need to start doing some Food & Wine festival research. Yay! :) Hope everyone's doing well!

a2grafix

Alright Jingle Junglers (??) and Wine & Diners...one month from today is the day! :D How's training going for everyone??

I just ran a half here at home on Sunday so after a couple of days of rest I am now (in my mind) officially in Wine & Dine training mode and am starting to get really excited!! Woohoo!

Other than that I think I need to start doing some Food & Wine festival research. Yay! :) Hope everyone's doing well!

I've been running off and on the past month after running the Disneyland Half. Varying miles, from 3.5 to 6 and 7 miles. I look forward to do at least 10 in one outing a few weeks or so before the run. I ran 3.60 miles Wednesday on the 1 month out mark.

Flying into Orlando on Friday, Nov. 8, and should be at the expo by late afternoon. As strange as this may sound, I don't plan on visiting any of the parks while I'm at WDW for the Wine and Dine. We'll be running through 3 of the parks and will already visit the sports complex, so I'm relaxing at Shades of Green and visiting WDW on the free. After the run and afterparty look to sleep in, grab a big breakfast at the Garden Galley, check out of the hotel, and bide my time before flying out in the evening.

Then, 3 weeks later I will run the Space Coast Half in Cocoa Beach, near Cape Canaveral / NASA, and then 6 days after that run a second half at home in Memphis, the St. Jude Memphis marathon weekend.

AUPr8Hd

Corrals up through "L" with 40 minutes difference between starts for A and L.

Marathon weekend has almost twice as many runners. It should be interesting.

SyracuseOrange

Woohoo! Can't wait. I've been running about twice a week lately, but I also do a lot of indoor cycling, so I've justified myself that I don't need to have a super strict running schedule. (I'm just looking to finish, not win - and I've done a 1/2 before without hardcore training, so I think I'll be alright.)

I'm flying into MCO on Friday around 730pm, and then immediately going to my hotel (All Star Sports) and sleeping. Waking up early for the expo, then heading to Epcot for a bit, grabbing lunch at Sunshine Seasons, and then going to my hotel to nap for a few hours. Then I'll wake up, eat a snack, and it's off to the race! Hope they have a nice cold drink waiting for me at the finish line party! I'm equally excited for that as I am for the race, haha! I've never been to F&W, and I anticipate it being pretty crowded that weekend, so I'm really counting on the party to get as much as I can out of the booths.

Just need to pick out what I'm wearing for race day. Do WDWMagic runners wear any certain color, or do anything special to our bibs so that we can pick each other out in the pack?

Ariel484

I've been running off and on the past month after running the Disneyland Half. Varying miles, from 3.5 to 6 and 7 miles. I look forward to do at least 10 in one outing a few weeks or so before the run. I ran 3.60 miles Wednesday on the 1 month out mark.

Flying into Orlando on Friday, Nov. 8, and should be at the expo by late afternoon. As strange as this may sound, I don't plan on visiting any of the parks while I'm at WDW for the Wine and Dine. We'll be running through 3 of the parks and will already visit the sports complex, so I'm relaxing at Shades of Green and visiting WDW on the free. After the run and afterparty look to sleep in, grab a big breakfast at the Garden Galley, check out of the hotel, and bide my time before flying out in the evening.

Then, 3 weeks later I will run the Space Coast Half in Cocoa Beach, near Cape Canaveral / NASA, and then 6 days after that run a second half at home in Memphis, the St. Jude Memphis marathon weekend.
I don't think it sounds strange. These short running trips can get super hectic. Busy few weeks coming up for you!
Corrals up through "L" with 40 minutes difference between starts for A and L.

Marathon weekend has almost twice as many runners. It should be interesting.
Definitely. I'm hoping it'll be less crowded but we'll see...!!
Woohoo! Can't wait. I've been running about twice a week lately, but I also do a lot of indoor cycling, so I've justified myself that I don't need to have a super strict running schedule. (I'm just looking to finish, not win - and I've done a 1/2 before without hardcore training, so I think I'll be alright.)

I'm flying into MCO on Friday around 730pm, and then immediately going to my hotel (All Star Sports) and sleeping. Waking up early for the expo, then heading to Epcot for a bit, grabbing lunch at Sunshine Seasons, and then going to my hotel to nap for a few hours. Then I'll wake up, eat a snack, and it's off to the race! Hope they have a nice cold drink waiting for me at the finish line party! I'm equally excited for that as I am for the race, haha! I've never been to F&W, and I anticipate it being pretty crowded that weekend, so I'm really counting on the party to get as much as I can out of the booths.

Just need to pick out what I'm wearing for race day. Do WDWMagic runners wear any certain color, or do anything special to our bibs so that we can pick each other out in the pack?
From older reports I remember reading that runners get a Bud, Bud Light or Coke at the finish (in addition to the normal Powerade/water, I'm assuming). I'll be going for the Coke!

Not wearing anything special...we can post our bib numbers or maybe pick a place to meet up. In January a few of us met up near the "W" (for WDWMagic) tent in the family reunion area before the race. We could try to do something like that again. I plan on getting to the staging area pretty early because I want a picture with Mickey and Minnie in their F&W gear. :D

SyracuseOrange

I don't think it sounds strange. These short running trips can get super hectic. Busy few weeks coming up for you!

Definitely. I'm hoping it'll be less crowded but we'll see...!!

From older reports I remember reading that runners get a Bud, Bud Light or Coke at the finish (in addition to the normal Powerade/water, I'm assuming). I'll be going for the Coke!

Not wearing anything special...we can post our bib numbers or maybe pick a place to meet up. In January a few of us met up near the "W" (for WDWMagic) tent in the family reunion area before the race. We could try to do something like that again. I plan on getting to the staging area pretty early because I want a picture with Mickey and Minnie in their F&W gear. :D
Ooh, I didn't know they had that! This is my first RunDisney race - are there lots of good photo ops before the race? I want some good character photos, so I was just planning on stopping at the food/drink stops, cause I heard characters are there, but if I can get them done before running so that it doesn't slow down my time, that'd be much better.

Ariel484

Ooh, I didn't know they had that! This is my first RunDisney race - are there lots of good photo ops before the race? I want some good character photos, so I was just planning on stopping at the food/drink stops, cause I heard characters are there, but if I can get them done before running so that it doesn't slow down my time, that'd be much better.
There should be one or two. The line will be HUGE. I plan on carrying my point-and-shoot with me during the run. :) I know there will be less characters on this course compared to the mornings races but I'll take what I can get.

dreamfinder

Hope they have a nice cold drink waiting for me at the finish line party!

For the first one, you got a voucher you could trade in for a snack or drink. I do believe that the second year included a small gift card that you could use however you want, but the intention was to replace the voucher from the previous year.

Most (if not all) of the kiosks will be open and selling their normal menu. They will also most likely have roaming waiters selling drinks as well. So bringing your KTTW/Magic Band/credit card/cash plus your ID will definitely let you get something yummy.

BeachClub

Does anyone know how many runners run this? We are running this (2013) and ran the Princess in Feb and let me tell you....do NOT think you will get a PR....it was sooooo over crowed and soooooo many walkers who blocked the runners....some narrow areas also made it nearly impossible to even walk much less run....however that had 25K people running it...hope its not that much for this...

dreamfinder

They had about 7500 finishers in 2010, 8500 in 2011, and 11,800 last year. Keep in mind that the numbers that runDisney usually reports are the total amount of registrations for the event weekend, and the numbers I listed were actual finisher counts. There is usually a 5-10% difference in what runDisney reports, and how many people actually finish.

The further back in the pack at any race, the more congested it tends to get. With their new corrals, and reported more enforcing of times, hopefully the walkers will be further to the back.

a2grafix

Who is up for a meet and greet relax and stretch time before the Wine and Dine? This this is a night race there might be some time for us to get away from the throng of runners. Meet for about an hour? Between 7:30-8:30pm, maybe 15 minutes either way? Not too sure of where the corrals are in relation to the baseball stadium and Jostens Center, but in remembering from the Tower 10 miler in 2012, there is a nice little area shaded area up the steps at the baseball stadium.

Was wondering if this is a good place to meet up to get away from the noise after bag drop off? Any other places around ESPN Sports Complex to relax and stretch and maybe take a picture before the run before we head off into our assigned corrals?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I just wanted to double check here what I've read in other threads, and on the RunDisney website.
If I want to update my corral assignments (as I see has been the recent discussion on here), the RunDisney website says I should:
In order to change your assigned corral, please bring proof of your estimated finish time to the Runner Relations booth after you pick up your race bib at the Health & Fitness Expo.
I see for other races folks have had a 3rd party that they've emailed to get the update made (trackshack), but it doesn't seem to be the case here, is that correct?
2nd question, I'm assuming a time on a 15k would be proof enough for the 1/2 marathon, right?

Ariel484

I just wanted to double check here what I've read in other threads, and on the RunDisney website.
If I want to update my corral assignments (as I see has been the recent discussion on here), the RunDisney website says I should:

I see for other races folks have had a 3rd party that they've emailed to get the update made (trackshack), but it doesn't seem to be the case here, is that correct?
2nd question, I'm assuming a time on a 15k would be proof enough for the 1/2 marathon, right?
Yep. There was a deadline that has since passed where you could email your new time to the trackshack people (September 1 maybe?). Since the deadline has come and gone you need to take the time to Runner Relations at the expo to change your corral. :)

15K is fine for a half! Minimum is 10K, so if you print your results and bring them with you you're good to go. Make sure your name, date, name and distance of the race are visible along with your new time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom