Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

AUPr8Hd

For the first one, you got a voucher you could trade in for a snack or drink. I do believe that the second year included a small gift card that you could use however you want, but the intention was to replace the voucher from the previous year.

Most (if not all) of the kiosks will be open and selling their normal menu. They will also most likely have roaming waiters selling drinks as well. So bringing your KTTW/Magic Band/credit card/cash plus your ID will definitely let you get something yummy.

Yes, the inaugural year had a snack and a drink ticket. They were attached to the bibs, if I remember correctly. The 2nd year saw the addition of the $10 gift card instead of the vouchers. Last year, you could get a free beverage after finishing. Just make sure you have an idea if you want one of the alcohol options. I know they had a couple beer choices and think there was either wine or pouch drink as well.

Ariel484

I didn't see the Coke option!
I read that in someone's trip report from 2011. I hope it's there! I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a non-alcoholic option...I mean, I know they have water and Powerade but if they have the beer as an "extra" it seems like they should have something extra for those that don't drink.
What about at the end of the 5k? Water, gatorade, snack boxes??
Water - Yes
Snackbox - Yes
Gatorade - no...it's Powerade
They also have bananas I think. No booze at 9AM. :)

SyracuseOrange

Can anyone who has done this race before talk a little about character M&G's along the way? I've found some trip reports, but none that really went into detail as to about how many characters there were, how far apart they were spaced, how long the lines were, etc.

Ariel484

Can anyone who has done this race before talk a little about character M&G's along the way? I've found some trip reports, but none that really went into detail as to about how many characters there were, how far apart they were spaced, how long the lines were, etc.
Check this one (specifically page 3): http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/let’s-get-down-to-business-to-defeat…-the-run-a-wine-dine-half-marathon-tr.831979/

Per that report, there were 8 character stops at the race in 2011 plus the pre-race meets. Seems like a good possibility for some rare stops...it says the longest line on the course was Darth Vader toward the end with 3 people. They tend to move faster at races compared to in the parks (2 CMs per character to man the cameras, no autograph books)...the pre-race lines are always the longest. Of course the length of lines and character line-ups can always change from year to year.

I'm mostly concerned about all the pics being of crappy quality since it'll be dark the entire way. :D There are definitely fewer character meets during the night races, from what I've seen...there were probably 10-15 on the WDW Half course in January.

Last edited:

SyracuseOrange

Perfect! Thanks @Ariel484. Looks like not a lot of characters, which I guess is fine since it'll be dark and I'll be all sweaty. I want some good photos, so I actually did a FP+ reservation for the EPCOT Character Spot the day after the race so that I can get some nice shots with my medal.

Thanks!

Ariel484

Perfect! Thanks @Ariel484. Looks like not a lot of characters, which I guess is fine since it'll be dark and I'll be all sweaty. I want some good photos, so I actually did a FP+ reservation for the EPCOT Character Spot the day after the race so that I can get some nice shots with my medal.

Thanks!
Yeah, if you want lots of characters on the course the Princess or WDW Half is a better bet. The Magic Kingdom portion along has 5-6 stops!

The characters are sometimes really fun when they spot your medal, I hope you get some good shots the day after! :)

a2grafix

Alright, quick question. I made a mistake. In hindsight I thought I could get my coworker to swap days, or work nearly a double and I would do the same, so I could leave Friday, Nov. 8, for Orlando in time to get my ducks in a row and prep for the Wine and Dine Half the next night.

Nope. Can't do it, so I modified my airline reservations and my hotel at Shades of Green. No cost to change hotel reservations, but paid some $$ to rebook a Saturday flight. I leave 10:50am CT Saturday, and I am expected to land at MCO around 1:40pm. The expo lasts until 3pm Saturday.

Contacted runDisney and waiting on a response. Do you think one of my fellow WDW Magic runners running with me may be able to vouch for me and pick up my race packet? But I am also in the Coast to Coast medal challenge, and when I cross the finish line I will be awarded both medals.

Can I make it via Mears shuttle if I tell the driver to get me to the ESPN sports complex post haste? Likely I will arrive with minutes to spare. Has anyone arrived at the end of the second day of a 2-day expo?

As well, have any of you flew in or drove in on race day, hit the expo, and run a few hours later? And leave Disney some 12 hours after you complete your run?

I'm about to do that.

LindsayLoves

@a2grafix - Your best bet is to beg, barter, and beg again, for someone to pick up your bib for you. You would have to give some potentially sensitive material to a stranger but I would feel better about that than trying to make it to the expo in the very limited time that you have because once the expo is closed they won't have any onsite pickup. Another plus to that is that it gives you one less thing to worry about on race day, you can simply go check in to your hotel, relax, and meet up with the kind soul with your bib before the race.

As for the shuttle you are assuming that there will not be other people to wait for and that the expo will be your first stop, both are super unlikely unless you have booked something private in which there will be no other passengers.

GOOD LUCK! I am envious that you get to do this race but not so envious of your current situation.

a2grafix

@a2grafix - Your best bet is to beg, barter, and beg again, for someone to pick up your bib for you. You would have to give some potentially sensitive material to a stranger but I would feel better about that than trying to make it to the expo in the very limited time that you have because once the expo is closed they won't have any onsite pickup. Another plus to that is that it gives you one less thing to worry about on race day, you can simply go check in to your hotel, relax, and meet up with the kind soul with your bib before the race.

As for the shuttle you are assuming that there will not be other people to wait for and that the expo will be your first stop, both are super unlikely unless you have booked something private in which there will be no other passengers.

GOOD LUCK! I am envious that you get to do this race but not so envious of your current situation.

I received word from runDisney stating that it would be possible for me to get to the corrals early and get my bib. Unsure about the shirt, C2C band, exclusive pin, and whatever else.

"In the event that you are unable to make it to the race expo, we will
have your race bib at the start of the race. Just make sure you arrive
early and ask any runDisney Cast Member where to pick it up. You will
need to have your signed waiver and photo ID as well."

What do you think? Shall I still chance the expo at the end? Wait for the corrals to open early enough? Or give my waiver and authorization release form to someone on this board?

Mad Stitch

I received word from runDisney stating that it would be possible for me to get to the corrals early and get my bib. Unsure about the shirt, C2C band, exclusive pin, and whatever else.

"In the event that you are unable to make it to the race expo, we will
have your race bib at the start of the race. Just make sure you arrive
early and ask any runDisney Cast Member where to pick it up. You will
need to have your signed waiver and photo ID as well."

What do you think? Shall I still chance the expo at the end? Wait for the corrals to open early enough? Or give my waiver and authorization release form to someone on this board?

I would do this as a last resort. This is the first time I have ever heard of picking up a bib at the race. It certainly doesn't sound like the norm and thus would be prone to error. Good luck.

SyracuseOrange

Are ALL of the F&W booths open during the after party, or just a selection? What about pavilions and other attractions? RunDisney says "favorite EPCOT attractions" and I'm wondering if anyone knows what that usually includes.

Last edited:

a2grafix

Are ALL of the F&W booths open during the after party, or just a selection? What about pavilions and other attractions? RunDisney says "favorite EPCOT attractions" and I'm wondering if anyone knows what that usually includes.

"Favorite ECPOT attractions" are Test Track, Spaceship Earth and Soarin'. Not too sure about World Showcase and the Food and Wine offerings, but since it's the last day for it, or weekend for it, likely all the Food and Wine and World Showcase countries will be open. I hope.

Last edited:

SyracuseOrange

Thanks @a2grafix - I hope so too! It will be my first F&W, and then I might not be awake/alert enough to fully enjoy it the day after the race, so the after race party will be my main opportunity to experience F&W.

Ariel484

My first too! I hope the lines at the booth aren't too long at the after party...I'm sure we'll get the usual runDisney snackbox at the finish line but I'm going to need some real food after the race.

One week from tomorrow I'll be Orlando-bound...woohoo! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom