Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

TheMaxRebo

Well eventually it won't be a headset, it will be glasses. But that is a while off. This will set the stage for that to happen though.

I guess, I still can't get into that either - just can't see VR/AR as more Hanna gimmick, but maybe just will take time

I am also against anything Apple so I am sure some of that is shining through too lol

Rteetz

Nobody wants this. It's an inferior version of something that already exists, it's 7x more expensive, and nobody wants the existing cheaper, better thing.
I would argue this is better than the less expensive versions. Apple is already coming in strong with partners like Disney and I’m sure other gaming companies and what not will follow. I’m not saying this will automatically succeed but I don’t think we can count it out before it even released yet.

TheMaxRebo

Like, doesn't this make you a little sad though?

If people used it while still going out and actually experiencing life, then that's great. But so many will use it as a substitute.

I'm actually glad I'm turning 50 and getting old because honestly, that kind of future is scary. Kidding, but not really. 😄

If it's used as a supplement - so let you experience something you have 99.9999% never to be able to experi nce in real life, then I think it is one thing

If this becomes like Wall-E of Ready Player One where people spend 99% of their time in a fake world, then that isn't great

CaptainAmerica

Even the iPod was significantly more expensive than other MP3 players of the time and took a few iterations before become the ubiquitous device we remember. Apple has the resources and patience to let this be a slow burn, they don’t need to sell this at iPhone volumes.
In the case of the iPod, the market had already accepted the idea of MP3 players. It was something they wanted, so Apple making a newer, better version had a chance to be successful, even if it was more expensive.

In the case of the iPhone, the smartphone market didn't exist so it was untested. It was a bigger risk, but the upside was huge.

In the vase of VR, the market has already rejected it. Nobody wants this in significant enough numbers to be viable in the marketplace. Nobody wants to do VR work meetings, they don't even like turning their camera on in Zoom meetings. They're happy to try VR games at their techie friends' houses for 20 minutes but the vast majority of people aren't interested.

Doing something that works but making it better and more expensive? ✅
Doing something new, even if it's expensive? ✅
Doing something that people already hate, but making it more expensive? ❌

CaptainAmerica

Those were too far ahead of its time. The tech wasn’t there yet. It’s getting much closer now.
The people don't WANT the tech.

Even if you had the tech to perfectly, flawlessly, seamlessly hold business meetings in a VR space, people don't want to have meetings in a VR space, so your tech is worthless.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
The difference here is that Apple has an entire eco system that this wraps into. It isn't just a random toy like other attempts at this. did you watch the keynote to see how it blends in with all the other devices? Impressive stuff, and way beyond anything else we have seen like this.
Apple doesn't have a great track record with this. Remember when Apple pioneered set top streaming with Apple TV, but quickly let that waste away because they either didn't take it seriously to devote resources into it, or they just saw it as a pet project.

The same could be said about HomePod.

By setting this price point, they invite lower quality competition to enter the market and before you know it you have a flood of knockoffs each with a competing ecosystem that dilutes any advantage that Apple may have had.

Iphone is successful because everyone needs a smart phone, even at a price premium.
Likewise Mac is successful because it meets or exceeds customer needs, even at price premium.
The Goggles don't do that.

Mireille

Premium Member
Theoretically everyone. This is the next every day use type device. While it may seem silly now. So did plenty of tech in its early stages. Apple Watch was looked at as silly. iPad, iPhone. All of it. Now will this pan to be those devices? Yet to be seen but you’ve gotta start somewhere.
I dunno... They've been pushing VR for nearly a decade now and even with $300 headsets, growth has still been pretty glacial. And Google Glass failed. Maybe Apple has the magic to make people finally consider it, but $3500?!?!?!? You can sit on your couch and use your Mac or iPad, but AR/VR usually requires moving around, physical exertion (it is deceptively taxing), and large spaces to interact in. As someone who's had a VR headset for 4 years, I haven't pulled it out in probably a year, and I *enjoy* VR when there's a worthwhile experience. But no matter what, a headset like that is not comfortable to wear for long periods and battery life is a huge factor. In any case, at that price point, I don't see it being widely adopted for quite a while. I could very well be wrong, but I just don't see it taking off until it's much smaller and much, much, much cheaper, so... maybe never.

Rteetz

Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge launched on the Oculus Quest three years ago.

Ever heard of it? Nope. Because it sucked so nobody bought it.
I have heard of it actually. Oculus doesn’t do enough for me as a non gamer so I haven’t gotten one but know several who have one and love it. The Vision Pro is much more in line with a headset I would use.

CaptainAmerica

I have heard of it actually. Oculus doesn’t do enough for me as a non gamer so I haven’t gotten one but know several who have one and love it. The Vision Pro is much more in line with a headset I would use.
Describe your use case.

What would you do with this, even in fantasy land where you had 100% product control over the app library, that would justify a $3,500 price tag.

Rteetz

The people don't WANT the tech.

Even if you had the tech to perfectly, flawlessly, seamlessly hold business meetings in a VR space, people don't want to have meetings in a VR space, so your tech is worthless.
We shall see. People don’t know its capabilities. People aren’t familiar with it. Change is hard. People didn’t want video conferences and all this tech we use daily in the workplace now either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom