Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

Tha Realest

Well it’s going to have to achieve a lower price point to go mainstream. I don’t know what that price point is but it’s not $3500.

Add tax, apple care, accessories probably 5k.
Maybe Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge will get some Galactic Starcruiser DLC that justifies the $5K price point

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Meanwhile, the iPhone was not the first smartphone, and smartphones were already quite successful when it rolled out. Apple just made a really superior version of it.
I think that is really what is going to happen with VR. Apple is going to be the one to make this breakthrough and become a real usable product, just like the iPhone.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It was a terrible idea…nonetheless

Yes but completely different situation. I haven't been on Mario Kart yet, but to me it seems the easiest comparison would be something like the Spiderman ride at IOA with lots of physical sets but instead of screens, only the characters show up in your AR vision.

Rollercoasters with VR IMO don't work because ANY kind of latency could mean riders can get sick very quickly and it was mostly a gimmick anyway. Once I ride Mario Kart I can give my direct impressions on whether I also think that is one.

Overall, there's a LOT of possible uses for AR that we're not seeing yet. Whether those uses are for "every day" I don't think so, but specific jobs, industries, and yes attractions etc. it can definitely be useful.

Apple making it seem like it's mostly the same apps on your phone, just on a screen doesn't sell it to me

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I think that is really what is going to happen with VR. Apple is going to be the one to make this breakthrough and become a real usable product, just like the iPhone.
iPhone was ready for consumers on day 1, which is why it was able to be so widely adopted so quickly, even with competition from Google/Motorola, and Blackberry (remember those?).

The outlook on this thing is far from certain, as most analysts are forecasting a mixed outlook on this thing. While no one is downplaying the technological achievement, the biggest concern is that the initial price point will tarnish any future growth, where most will see it as something primarily for Apple supper fans and/or a toy for those able to afford it. Worryingly most don't discount that this will become nothing more than expensive paperweight an after the initial excitement subsides.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Incremental improvements and a neat gadget, but thats where I see it stopping. A solution looking for a problem. To me it looks like "the Path of the Newton" reborn.

“The goals were to design a new category of handheld device and to build a platform to support it,” explains Steve Capps, the Newton’s head of user interface and software development who both helped dream it up and make it real. “The restrictions imposed by battery life necessitated a new architecture.” That is, with Newton, Apple didn’t just set out to create a new device. It wanted to invent an entirely new class of computing. Computers that could slip into pockets and go out into the world. In fact, the pocket was a core design requirement.

WDWFREAK53

Apple making it seem like it's mostly the same apps on your phone, just on a screen doesn't sell it to me
This was my thought too until I saw that review that Steve posted.

I wasn't aware that this was it's own thing and not paired to the Apple product like the watch with a few additional "device-specific" apps.
That sort of brings the pricepoint to a more realistic level (considering it's basically it's own computer).

To me it's still a gimmick...a really interesting gimmick with some fantastic tech...but is this something that will be in every household multiple times over like an ipad, watch, or iphone? I doubt it but time will tell.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
They need to market something like an apple case with a carrying strap or backpack or something for your Apple gear at this rate (You know, only $699 or something). Something with extra batteries, etc.if they want this to be feasible outside of just being at home/office.

Edit: also, I can't wait until people start driving while using these (sarcasm)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This was my thought too until I saw that review that Steve posted.

I wasn't aware that this was it's own thing and not paired to the Apple product like the watch with a few additional "device-specific" apps.
That sort of brings the pricepoint to a more realistic level (considering it's basically it's own computer).

To me it's still a gimmick...a really interesting gimmick with some fantastic tech...but is this something that will be in every household multiple times over like an ipad, watch, or iphone? I doubt it but time will tell.
The important thing to note is apple can throw money away on a gimmick. One of the few that can.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They need to market something like an apple case with a carrying strap or backpack or something for your Apple gear at this rate (You know, only $699 or something). Something with extra batteries, etc.if they want this to be feasible outside of just being at home/office.

…now you’re thinking…where do we put cupcakes??

WDWFREAK53

Putting AR into windshields would actually be great if it could overlay your GPS routes. (It's sort of happening with Head-up display).
No entertainment but something useful like that would be great.

Smooth

1686075982447.png

WDWFREAK53

Disney could sell these alongside the sippers and popcorn holders.
I could see one that looks like WALL-E with the Vision Pro being his eyes.

Another that looks like the Divers Mask from Nemo...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom