Disney, VR/AR, and Apple's WWDC 2023

Trauma

I'm not an Apple hater. I have an iphone, a mac, an ipad and an apple watch (and use all of them but the watch daily).

I just don't see how this is ever going to appeal to the masses or how they'll ever make any money off their very costly investment.
What if over time they get the price down to say $599?

UNCgolf

Yeah this is a huge moment. This is the very first device in what will ultimately become the way everything will be.

Google Glass came out a decade ago.

This is obviously a significantly more advanced version of the concept, but I wouldn't call it new or the first.

lazyboy97o

I'm not an Apple hater. I have an iphone, a mac, an ipad and an apple watch (and use all of them but the watch daily).

I just don't see how this is ever going to appeal to the masses or how they'll ever make any money off their very costly investment.
There’s a reason they announced the device at their developers conference. The use cases have to be more than just watching movies and playing some games, but that’s really going to come from the software. When smartphones were Treos and BlackBerrys a lot of people didn’t see the appeal and they were not mass market devices. The iPhone did make a big splash but what really shook things up was the App Store. Given the pricing I think even Apple expects to at least start more in the workplace than in homes, but thats also how people first experienced personal computers and smartphones.

UNCgolf

In case anyone is not familiar, Mario Kart in Universal (Osaka, Hollywood and in Orlando in 2 years) is AR-based but is on a moving track with set pieces as well.

Disney is probably going to look into this as an option as well (even if it's not directly related to Apple)

It's also terrible.

Obviously someone can and likely will execute the concept in a better way eventually, but headsets are not where I want to see theme parks go in the future. They already have too many simulator/screen rides that don't offer anywhere near as rich an experience as rides flush with physical sets, AAs, etc.

As for the overall discussion -- VR will likely always be a niche product. There are too many reasons preventing people from using it (or wanting to use it). AR, on the other hand, is far more likely to eventually become a regular part of daily life since it doesn't require isolating yourself from your environment.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Never ceases to amaze me how those who apparently grew up with and loved the original EPCOT Center are so resistant to change (technologically and culturally)

If this is directed at me, you're hilariously wrong about my opinion on technological and cultural changes.

VR has numerous issues preventing widespread regular use, even if it were cheap and easily accessible by all. AR/MR does not have those issues (or at least not to the same extent). Apple clearly knows this.

Last edited:

MrPromey

I see people continue to bring up (not just here but everywhere) that people have doubted the success of various Apple products and they've all been successful. I really don't see how AR headsets can take off though.

If my eyes felt strained after 5 minutes of riding Mario Kart, how will people want to watch a 2 hour movie on Disney+?
I bought my first computer in the late 90's. It had 1gb of total storage in a hard drive that had physical dimensions of about 5in x 8in. It had 8mb of ram, an Intel Pentium 120 CPU which ran at a blazing 120 megaherz and came with a 33600 baud modem (that's around 33kb per second as a maximum theoretical throughput on a perfect dial-up connection).

It came with a 14" monitor.

The computer was capable of an 800x600 pixel display.

The computer itself was about two feet tall, 10 inches wide and over two feet long. It weighed about 30 pounds.

The 14" monitor was about 18" squared and weighed around 35-40 pounds.

Again, this was in the late 90's.

If someone suggested I strap a few car batteries to all that and carry it all around with me, I'd have looked at them like they were insane.

You talk about eyes feeling strained. My back would have been feeling strained.

The iPhone I have sitting here next to me has 256gb of storage, 6gb of ram, two 3.23 gigahertz and four 1.82 gigahertz processors. It has a built in display with a resolution of of 2532x1170 pixels. It has a battery built in that gets me more than a day's worth of usage and wireless access to the internet at speeds rivaling modern broadband almost anywhere I go.

The entire thing is about 1/10 the size of just the hard drive from that massive computer and it weighs about 1/20 as much as again, just the 1gb of storage from that device, alone.

It took almost 30 years to get from that computer to this phone and the transition was more of an evolution than a revolution but if you looked at my first computer to what came 30 years before that without looking at anything in-between, it would have looked like dark magic, even more so.

Between then and now, the pace of technological innovation has sped up in ways that were previously inconceivable.

It's still speeding up.

It won't take 30 years for that kind of change going forward.

Nobody today would be even remotely happy with the first iPhone. Everyone would call it useless garbage with a tiny blurry screen, slow-as-hell connection, no apps and horrible batterly life... and that was only 16 years ago.

Aside from the difference between watching something in AR vs pure VR, displays are already improving and comparing a theme park display to a state-of-the-art private personal display today is apples to oranges already but just the same, eye strain used to be a serious problem for people just 20 years ago looking at 10"-14" CRT monitors and now we spend all day staring at flat panel displays that are as much as 4 times as large and somehow our eyes don't explode.

I've watched whole 3D movies on my Quest 2 and survived to tell the tale... and that wasn't even high-end when it came out 3 years ago.

It's hard to say if this stuff will ever go mainstream or not but if it doesn't, it won't be because of the tech. The tech already exists and with Apple in the fray, it'll progress rapidly now.

The question is, will people get over feeling like idiots walking around in public with something like this strapped to their heads?

I remember when the Airpods came out, I thought people looked like absolute morons wearing them.

How the hell was that ever going to catch on?

Anyway, I've given up trying to predict the future when it comes to tech, especially in regards to what'll never happen.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Google Glass came out a decade ago.

This is obviously a significantly more advanced version of the concept, but I wouldn't call it new or the first.
Another, more advanced way, of disconnecting from reality. A society that already struggles today to make real human connections with one another....seems healthy...

Cmdr_Crimson

What if over time they get the price down to say $599?
crowd-laughing.gif

Sure and Disney Deluxe rooms are $99 a night with the Disney dining plan.. 😏

sedati

If this is directed at me, you're hilariously wrong about my opinion on technological and cultural changes.

VR has numerous issues preventing widespread regular use, even if it were cheap and readily available. AR/MR does not have those issues (or at least most of them). Apple clearly knows this.
Not at all directed at you or any specific poster.
Just bemoaning the fact that the takeaway many seem to have got from EPCOT was, "If we can dream it... we can dismiss it out of hand on a public forum."

Trauma

crowd-laughing.gif

Sure and Disney Deluxe rooms are $99 a night with the Disney dining plan.. 😏
Well it’s going to have to achieve a lower price point to go mainstream. I don’t know what that price point is but it’s not $3500.

Add tax, apple care, accessories probably 5k.

Fido Chuckwagon

They said that about the iPhone...
VR has been around for decades at this point. Maybe this is the product that finally takes off, but I doubt it. The problems with VR are that it is very niche. People just don't like it that much. It is hard on your eyes, and there is at least some research to support that it can have negative effects on vision (especially for kids whose eyes are still developing). It's just not super healthy to have a screen that close to your eyes for lengthy periods of time.

Meanwhile, the iPhone was not the first smartphone, and smartphones were already quite successful when it rolled out. Apple just made a really superior version of it.

lazyboy97o

Aside from the difference between watching something in AR vs pure VR, displays are already improving and comparing a theme park display to a state-of-the-art private personal display today is apples to oranges already but just the same, eye strain used to be a serious problem for people just 20 years ago looking at 10"-14" CRT monitors and now we spend all day staring at flat panel displays that are as much as 4 times as large and somehow our eyes don't explode.
It was funny though how they went from touting a new iPad feature that warns of being too close to the screen to introduce screen you strap to your eyes.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well it’s going to have to achieve a lower price point to go mainstream. I don’t know what that price point is but it’s not $3500.

Add tax, apple care, accessories probably 5k.
Right now the PSVR2 is at $599 with a game bundle. Without the game it goes for $549...

Unfortunately this is Apple were talking about and doubt they'd budge..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom