News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

hopemax

So when the Trail's End buffeteria news broke, the Ft. Wilderness fans over on the DIS speculated it was because the campground was going to see an influx of DVC. They thought, at the time, that meant Reflections would be back on, but now it appears to be this. Still props to them for reading the tea leaves and coming up with DVC @ Ft. Wilderness, over a restaurant rework.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My kid has had a goal to stay at all WDW DVC locations. We're down to RR. If they really add this it will be a hard no for me. I like visiting Ft Wilderness but I hate staying there.

I honestly feel like we're being pranked
Wow I'm completely the opposite. Fort Wilderness is my favorite resort on property and one of the reasons I delayed buying DVC was because I liked staying in the cabins so much.

Now my points are resale-only so they'll be useless at the new cabins, but I'm very happy that they'll be part of the DVC portfolio (assuming a reasonable points chart, which I know is no guarantee).

correcaminos

Wow I'm completely the opposite. Fort Wilderness is my favorite resort on property and one of the reasons I delayed buying DVC was because I liked staying in the cabins so much.

Now my points are resale-only so they'll be useless at the new cabins, but I'm very happy that they'll be part of the DVC portfolio (assuming a reasonable points chart, which I know is no guarantee).
My first trip was camping at Ft Wilderness. I find the transportation horrible. We like privacy now so cabins aren't my thing. I love doing the Segway tour but to me that shows the issue, too big to get around without wheels.

I have the majority of my points usable for all resorts. This one I'll nope out of unfortunately. I'll send the guys but I've been there enough to know staying isn't on my list.

I think this is a massive degradation of DVC offerings. It's a moderate being bumped up? I cannot see it. The offerings of the resort are hugely lacking and suited for campers.

Figment82

What a weird thing to complain about.

"The pool is a boring rectangle and they'll probably make it awesome with a zero-depth entry area and a neat waterslide, and this makes me sad."
What a weird thing to get annoyed about someone else commenting on, lol - where did I say I was complaining?

I just happened to enjoy the retro atmosphere of the current pool. We had it all to ourselves when we were there and was just a nice memory. Took me back to our family trips in the 80s. Not everything has to have crazy waterslides, splash pads, and underwater music. It fit the serene wilderness charm of the cabins area well. No need to get all up in arms about my opinion - I’m not going to lose sleep over its demise, I assure you. 😉

Lilofan

FW is one of our favorites. The Osborne family Christmas lights spectacular never left WDW. In Dec and Jan a number of RVs guests in the loops decorate their vehicles with lots of holiday lights and to go around in a golf cart at night in the RV loops is a great time. I would think the cabins would follow suit.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Unless they’re increasing the width of the FW cabins they won’t be anywhere near that level.

From the rendering the roof line, entrance sides, and windows are completely different. It suggests the possibility of blowing out the current entrance wall. Doing this even two feet would allow the bedroom bunk bed to be converted to a queen murphy bed. Also, it appears that the bathroom may not be in the middle anymore but may be moved to one end of the cabin. Could then fit the bathroom + a galley kitchen on one side with a pretty spacious living area in between. Like, imagine the living area now but the kitchen space is on the side *and* it's all maybe two feet wider.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
FW is one of our favorites. The Osborne family Christmas lights spectacular never left WDW. In Dec and Jan a number of RVs guests in the loops decorate their vehicles with lots of holiday lights and to go around in a golf cart at night in the RV loops is a great time. I would think the cabins would follow suit.
We'll consider a holiday season fixed week partially for this reason.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My first trip was camping at Ft Wilderness. I find the transportation horrible.
Yeah I wouldn't stay there without a car, cart, or both.

We like privacy now so cabins aren't my thing.
Huh?

I think this is a massive degradation of DVC offerings. It's a moderate being bumped up? I cannot see it. The offerings of the resort are hugely lacking and suited for campers.
I'm not sure when you were last there, but even without any upgrades, I don't see Fort Wilderness as any "less deluxe" than Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Vero Beach, or Hilton Head.

I'm not sure if I think much more highly of FW than you, or if I think much more lowly of the existing DVC properties than you, but I've had many "moderate" resort stays that were much nicer than many DVC stays.

Accommodations quality at WDW usually boils down to "when was it last refurbished?"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Flight of Passage (& NRJ)

The article says there are plans for a new pool, which is likely to be fancier than your no-frills pool.
That was in 2017…so that’s why I said that. Clarification.

So the answer is: Everest, Aladdin, primeval hurl (now closed), Dino spinny, soarin, mine train and mermaid (net 1 add)

So that’s 6/4/17 = 0.08 attractions added per park per year…

I’m no math whizz…but that doesn’t seem like proper investment.

So really…everything since and including 2017 is damage control.

It’s not the way to run stable parks.

Tron doesn’t warrant 1000 timeshare units…which is what is or was recently built without breaking a sweat.

correcaminos

Yeah I wouldn't stay there without a car, cart, or both.

Huh?

I'm not sure when you were last there, but even without any upgrades, I don't see Fort Wilderness as any "less deluxe" than Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Vero Beach, or Hilton Head.

I'm not sure if I think much more highly of FW than you, or if I think much more lowly of the existing DVC properties than you, but I've had many "moderate" resort stays that were much nicer than many DVC stays.

Accommodations quality at WDW usually boils down to "when was it last refurbished?"
Privacy from each other. We mostly do 2 bedrooms for 3 of us. Cabins don't offer space to spread. And they are queens and not kings.

Pre-covid was my last huge stroll around. It's far more spread out. Less good dining offerings and pools are quaint and with no extras like community halls. So no, I do not agree that these are same as OKW or SSR at all. Cabins were mods, not deluxe for a reason. I have done tons of moderate stays. Still big differences. I see less difference between mods and values now tbh.

You obviously are biased towards there. I'm not. We won't agree but be real, the campgrounds vs resorts are nothing alike.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom