News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

peter11435

Every property I stated are DVC

OKW last had some tile work done but evidence of not stripped to the studs in the bedrooms. They even reused tables and seemingly left tubs untouched. Honestly the look of the baseboards of SSR had me wonder as well. They say "typically to the studs" but many question that. YMMV
Yes, that is what I’m saying. Every property you stated is DVC. The timeline I referenced is for standard Disney resorts. DVC resorts operate on a different slower timeline. In other words they go larger gaps between refurbs. So your experience with DVC Resort refurbs is correct and is not a reflection on the standard Disney resort schedule.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
And not guaranteed to be what they've said. Many have questioned the idea that they strip to the studs based on time lines. Maybe stripped to the walls, but to the studs feels unlikely now. Stripping out old cabinets is big, but that doesn't require removing walls. Nor does tile work. Those guessing this might be wrong, sure, but many question what "to the studs" really means or if they mean strip to the walls.
All of this is beside the point. You don't like "to the studs," fine. I'm not married to it. The point was (and remains), DVC resorts undergo full refurbishments that require major construction, and that this cycle is in no way unique to these cabins.

correcaminos

Yes, that is what I’m saying. Every property you stated is DVC. The timeline I referenced is for standard Disney resorts. DVC resorts operate on a different slower timeline. In other words they go larger gaps between refurbs. So your experience with DVC Resort refurbs is correct and is not a reflection on the standard Disney resort schedule.
You're incorrect, the pre-covid DVC schedule is 7 years soft refresh, 14 full. Most conversions outside of VGF resort villas were actually stripped to the studs literally. For OKW & SSR in particular there is evidence they stripped to walls, not studs.

Covid hosed some schedules, but the 7/14 is the standard DVC timeline

Disstevefan1

RIPcabins.jpg

correcaminos

All of this is beside the point. You don't like "to the studs," fine. I'm not married to it. The point was (and remains), DVC resorts undergo full refurbishments that require major construction, and that this cycle is in no way unique to these cabins.
I totally understand your point now. I missed a step in what you were referring to and after this morning I get it 😉 My apologies for missing that step and yes to the studs vs to the walls seems silly to talk once I stepped in it with another here.

peter11435

You're incorrect, the pre-covid DVC schedule is 7 years soft refresh, 14 full. Most conversions outside of VGF resort villas were actually stripped to the studs literally. For OKW & SSR in particular there is evidence they stripped to walls, not studs.

Covid hosed some schedules, but the 7/14 is the standard DVC timeline
Nothing I said was incorrect. I was referring to non DVC resorts. Which do 7 years hard, 3/4 years soft. DVC resorts do 14 hard, 7 soft. However, as I mentioned this was reduced a few years ago because it used to be a longer interval.

The point was that the cabins are due for a full replacement. They are currently not DVC and if there were a standard WDW room would be long overdue for a full down to the stud refurb.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Nothing I said was incorrect. I was referring to non DVC resorts. Which do 7 years hard, 3/4 years soft. DVC resorts do 14 hard, 7 soft. However, as I mentioned this was reduced a few years ago because it used to be a longer interval.

The point was that the cabins are due for a full replacement. They are currently not DVC and if there were a standard WDW room would be long overdue for a full down to the stud refurb.
Sorry your posts have been very unclear in wording to me. I have read and reread them and honestly get confused with your points and what you are trying to say. Maybe it's me and I apologize. The cabins will be DVC and were never treated like a resort either. So not sure at all what resort rooms have to do with either DVC or the cabins. But I'm done trying to decipher. Enjoy your day.

Calmdownnow

I think it’s very likely that replacing the cabins in 25 years is going to be built into the cost structure upfront. The cabins were built in 1971, replaced 26 years later in 1997, and, 26 years later, are due to be replaced again. It’s not too hard to guess what will happen in 2049.
So you are suggesting that a) Cabin DVC contracts will only be 25 years long; or b) DVC will sell 50 year contracts and keep enough money set aside from the initial purchase to guarantee replacement units will be delivered half way through the contract without substantial costs being charged to members via annual service dues; or c) DVC will provide, upfront, a warranty to buyers that the costs of replacement of the prefab modules will not be included in dues in the future; or d) DVC will discount the points purchase cost but add a caveat that replacement costs for replacement prefabs will be added to annual dues over the first 25 years of the contract; or e) the annual dues for 50 years will include a stated % that is intended to pay for new prefabs at the 20/30/35 year anniversary. There are probably other solutions to the issue, but DVC has to be upfront about what the solution is -- otherwise there is major risk being taken on by a would-be DVC purchaser at Cabins that is not present in any other DVC purchase.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
So you are suggesting that a) Cabin DVC contracts will only be 25 years long; or b) DVC will sell 50 year contracts and keep enough money set aside from the initial purchase to guarantee replacement units will be delivered half way through the contract without substantial costs being charged to members via annual service dues; or c) DVC will provide, upfront, a warranty to buyers that the costs of replacement of the prefab modules will not be included in dues in the future; or d) DVC will discount the points purchase cost but add a caveat that replacement costs for replacement prefabs will be added to annual dues over the first 25 years of the contract; or e) the annual dues for 50 years will include a stated % that is intended to pay for new prefabs at the 20/30/35 year anniversary. There are probably other solutions to the issue, but DVC has to be upfront about what the solution is -- otherwise there is major risk being taken on by a would-be DVC purchaser at Cabins that is not present in any other DVC purchase.
I am suggesting Option E.

nickys

Premium Member
I agree. And I also think the usual 7/14 schedule will be altered slightly, so that they get a refresh after maybe 8 years, and then a refresh+ with new kitchen appliances and anything else that needs replaced at around 16 years. So that at 24/ 25 years they get replaced and they start again.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

I agree. And I also think the usual 7/14 schedule will be altered slightly, so that they get a refresh after maybe 8 years, and then a refresh+ with new kitchen appliances and anything else that needs replaced at around 16 years. So that at 24/ 25 years they get replaced and they start again.
It's obviously E, it was only ever going to be E, and E isn't any more expensive than what they do in the "normal" resorts. There is no additional risk to the purchaser. There's no "issue" in need of a solution. Replacing trailers is not more expensive than gutting buildings. Manufactured buildings are not more prone to wind damage than site-built buildings.

This is a complete fabrication (pun intended) of your imagination. There is no structural (another pun intended) problem with the normal DVC process of gathering dues to fund capital reserves that are then drawn against to fund maintenance and refurbishment over the life of the contract.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom