Disney unions vote on contract....

googilycub

From the article...

The proposed contract would have guaranteed a one-time $550 bonus plus three 3 percent raises during the course of the 42-month contract for full-time workers not already at the top of their pay scale.

Going against the tone of this thread but good for Disney's employees for turning this down. My union leaders know that if they ever brought us a contract with only a 3% yearly raise, each one of them would be voted out the next election. 3% is a CoL raise, not a raise to increase ones wealth. Also what do the people at the top of their pay scale get? Does the scale go up at all or are those people topped out?

googilycub

Your last comment about unions and education applies here in Indiana too.

So does your first paragraph. Indiana has lost SO many jobs because Union employees have refused to take pay cuts to save their companies. United Airlines and several GM plants are the key examples.

It's sad that they didn't understand the concept: "Take a little less money for a while to help save the company....or take $0 when we CLOSE the company." And most of the union employees who worked for United and GM made such OBSCENE amounts of money, they could have taken 50% pay cuts and still made more than I do with a college degree and a full-time job.

To save their companies? Last I checked both GM and United Airlines are both still in buisness. How long is a while? I don't know a whole lot about the GM situation, however I know quite a lot of the United one. I was a ramp manager for United at O'Hare from 1998 until I was laid off in 2006. I saw employees lose their company pensions, pay more for healthcare, and take 33% pay cuts. At the same time the CEO was making millions of dollars in salery and bonuses a year. A google search showes that the UA CEO has made over 11 million dollars in the 5 years he has been their, along with having 22 million in company stock. Companies have put the financial burden of mistakes made on the management level on the rank and file employees. Many of the rank and file are sick and tired of it.

davidwillson

I have been a union worker

I have been in jobs where there was no union and I was a "worker"

I have been in jobs where there was no union and i was a "boss"

I have been in jobs where I was non-union management supervising union labor.

Sometimes they are bad, sometimes they are good. In my experience though, more times than not, unions come to the table with an adveserial outlook. I really think thats because the people running the unions are most of the time people who used to work for the company, and have been promoted by election. Somtimes that works, other times you get some not-to-savvy people in union leadership positions.

-dave
If they were to suggest a no vote, then they are going against the best intrests of the half that are getting the good parts. Now you are splitting your own union in half which is not the point.

wvdisneyfamily

Going against the tone of this thread but good for Disney's employees for turning this down. My union leaders know that if they ever brought us a contract with only a 3% yearly raise, each one of them would be voted out the next election. 3% is a CoL raise, not a raise to increase ones wealth. Also what do the people at the top of their pay scale get? Does the scale go up at all or are those people topped out?

Again, three 3% raises over 42 months. That's 9% by my math. Most people aren't getting CoL right now; they are just holding on to their current salary so they can live.

RETLAW

From the article...

The proposed contract would have guaranteed a one-time $550 bonus plus three 3 percent raises during the course of the 42-month contract for full-time workers not already at the top of their pay scale.

What the crap!?? I would kill for that. I haven't had a raise that great EVER. My incremental raise for adding a year of experience came out to $29.40 per check this year over last year. That's $588 per year or less than 1.5%. Wow. And I have a B.A. in secondary education, an M.A. in elementary education, and 45 additional hours of graduate school. Essentially, I have as much college education as a doctor. Over the last 20 years, WV has given teachers one raise of a flat amount, not a percentage based increase. Again, wow.

I am sure that sounds good to you, but my 3% equals .37 more an hour. Times that by 40 hrs, and you get $14.80. Keep in mind that I have worked at WDW since 2001 (after getting my B.S. in hotel Mgmnt). They also didnt mention that they want to raise health insurance by $12.00 a week. My $14.80 a week raise just went down to $2.80 a week. Also, by paying a little more, Uncle Sam will want to take a little more. I think that brings my 3% raise to about .80 cents a week. Sorry, but gas has gone up more than that in the last year in Central Florida. Did I mention that Orange and Oscealo County just announced property and sales tax increases. :cry:

googilycub

Again, three 3% raises over 42 months. That's 9% by my math. Most people aren't getting CoL right now; they are just holding on to their current salary so they can live.

So Disney employees should not demand something other than CoL raise because other people are having issues? Disney as a company had a net income of 1.3 BILLION dollars in the 3rd quarter alone this year. Disney as a company is not struggling, so why should its employees?

googilycub

I am sure that sounds good to you, but my 3% equals .37 more an hour. Times that by 40 hrs, and you get $14.80. Keep in mind that I have worked at WDW since 2001 (after getting my B.S. in hotel Mgmnt). They also didnt mention that they want to raise health insurance by $12.00 a week. My $14.80 a week raise just went down to $2.80 a week. Also, by paying a little more, Uncle Sam will want to take a little more. I think that brings my 3% raise to about .80 cents a week. Sorry, but gas has gone up more than that in the last year in Central Florida. Did I mention that Orange and Oscealo County just announced property and sales tax increases. :cry:

Thank you for posting the facts, it puts things in perspective for those that think a 3% raise is a good thing.

wvdisneyfamily

I sympathize with that because my health insurance seems to go up in a way that eats the majority of any pay increase I get. WV always has some of the highest gas prices in the nation. We also pay property taxes on homes, land, cars, animals, etc... Our sales tax is 6% on everything other than food (3%). This is in addition to the state income tax where the top bracket starts at $60,000. Everyone's health care will go up this year due to the new federal laws. It seems to be a no-win situation for everyone.

So Disney employees should not demand something other than CoL raise because other people are having issues? Disney as a company had a net income of 1.3 BILLION dollars in the 3rd quarter alone this year. Disney as a company is not struggling, so why should its employees?

My state isn't struggling for money either. WV is one of the only states in the black. Does this mean I should demand more money? Or perhaps should I sit back and be content until the economy stabilizes? Tourism is a very ify industry. People visit WDW only after they see what income is available for such luxuries. That can change in the blink of an eye with the impending tax increases and job outlook. I agree that sometimes businesses and companies do not share the profits fairly and execs are often living cushy while employees struggle. However, stockholders should address this issue and make sure the finances are ran in a manner that prepares the company for any dramatic economic fluctuations.

Thank you for posting the facts, it puts things in perspective for those that think a 3% raise is a good thing.

Hi. :wave: Please just say my name and call me out when talking about me. I'm a grown-up and can handle it. Thanks.

I still would be thrilled to get 3%.

googilycub

I sympathize with that because my health insurance seems to go up in a way that eats the majority of any pay increase I get. WV always has some of the highest gas prices in the nation. We also pay property taxes on homes, land, cars, animals, etc... Our sales tax is 6% on everything other than food (3%). This is in addition to the state income tax where the top bracket starts at $60,000. Everyone's health care will go up this year due to the new federal laws. It seems to be a no-win situation for everyone.

My state isn't struggling for money either. WV is one of the only states in the black. Does this mean I should demand more money? Or perhaps should I sit back and be content until the economy stabilizes? Tourism is a very ify industry. People visit WDW only after they see what income is available for such luxuries. That can change in the blink of an eye with the impending tax increases and job outlook. I agree that sometimes businesses and companies do not share the profits fairly and execs are often living cushy while employees struggle. However, stockholders should address this issue and make sure the finances are ran in a manner that prepares the company for any dramatic economic fluctuations.

Hi. :wave: Please just say my name and call me out when talking about me. I'm a grown-up and can handle it. Thanks.

I still would be thrilled to get 3%.

Your right, tourism can be a very iffy industry. That is why Disney has much more going on for it other than the parks.

I was not just talking about you, you are not the only one on this thread with the opinion that this would have been a good thing for the park employees.:)

RETLAW

If I didnt enjoy working at WDW, I would have left a long time ago. Disney is always saying that they are competitive with the rest of the local industry. Which if want to compare Disney to Universal thats great. But I think that Disney expects a lot more out of the cast than what Universal does of its employees. Disney also needs to look at the pay of its Transportation CM (starts at Aprox $8.75hr), and compare that to Mears or Lynx (Starts at Aprox $10hr). Why do you think so many people get trained to be Bus drivers, and then leave and go to work for Lynx or Mears (Hint: $$$). Disney also has hotels. Lets compare a Disney CM working a the front desk to a person working for a local Marriott or Hilton. Disney starts the front desk out at aprox $8.50 hr. Marriott just outside of Disney starts there front desk at $11.50 hr. Marriott starts off paying more than I am making after 10+ years at Disney.
Like I said, I like working for Disney; I wish that the executives at WDW understood that Free admission to the parks, Merchandise discounts, and a pay raise that they will off set by raising health insurance costs doesnt pay the bills. I would like to see Meg Crofton or Al Weis live on a hourly CMs pay for one full year. :rolleyes:

I truly believe that WDW would be a better place, if they paid better. Higher pay = more people wanting to work here = Ability to higher only the best.

Wilt Dasney

Assuming I'm right that the unions can't really threaten Disney with a work stoppage because of local right-to-work laws (and I don't know that I am right about that), then this all seems like kabuki theater before Disney inevitably gets their way.

Tom

Beta Return
To save their companies? Last I checked both GM and United Airlines are both still in buisness. How long is a while? I don't know a whole lot about the GM situation, however I know quite a lot of the United one. I was a ramp manager for United at O'Hare from 1998 until I was laid off in 2006. I saw employees lose their company pensions, pay more for healthcare, and take 33% pay cuts. At the same time the CEO was making millions of dollars in salery and bonuses a year. A google search showes that the UA CEO has made over 11 million dollars in the 5 years he has been their, along with having 22 million in company stock. Companies have put the financial burden of mistakes made on the management level on the rank and file employees. Many of the rank and file are sick and tired of it.

Sorry. I should have beem more clear. I didn't mean the entire companies, just their local facilities.

UA had a major repair hub in Indy. When the company was struggling, they asked everyoone at the plant (top down) to take a pay cut to help keep the place open. They voted to reject the pay cuts, so they shut down the hub.

My next door neighbors (10 years ago) both worked at the United Maint Hub, and told us they worked in seats and tires. A friend I made later had been a shift lead at the hub so I asked him if he knew the" Jones" couple in tires and seats. He said, "Tires and seats? We do those in California! Those two loofs make $60/hr to move parts from one room to another all day." Its people like that who vote no to a slight pay cut, not realizing that it just means the entire plant will close.

GM has (had) a lot of plants here in indiana. Many have closed, and the UAW workers have all but sealed their fate on another closing soon.

Its sad. So many peope losing jobs because they can't sacrifice a few % off their income. YYes, the top brass need to partiicipate too, but the bottom is contributing to the demise.

niteobsrvr

Disney also needs to look at the pay of its Transportation CM (starts at Aprox $8.75hr), and compare that to Mears or Lynx (Starts at Aprox $10hr). Why do you think so many people get trained to be Bus drivers, and then leave and go to work for Lynx or Mears (Hint: $$$). .

Interesting comment until you said Transportation cast start at $8.75 and then specifically mentioned bus drivers. Bus Drivers currently start at $10.55/hr. Higher than any other bus outfit in Orlando including Mears and American Coach. The only exception is Lynx who is different for a whole host of reasons pertinent to such an operation.

Sure the Mears and other drivers makes tips but if you talk to some of those drivers, you will find out everything was not coming up roses for them.

Alektronic

I have worked in many union and non-union jobs also. But unions operate differently in most states. The Southeast states are all the right-to-work states.

Normal union jobs - Eveyone has to belong to the union and pays dues and are encoraged to participate in monthly meetings.

Right-to-work jobs - Everyone has an option to join to the union or not, but you don't have to belong to the union to work there. Only union members have to pay dues. Everyone is still covered by the same contract. Union members are the only people allowed to vote on the contract.

Here is the part that I don't like, the Union must protect and help all employees even if they aren't union members.

A strike vote in a union shop can be really powerful because it stops ALL work.

A strike vote in a right-to-work state would br very ineffective because not all members would strike and the work would continue maybe with less people but still would continue and in the lower skilled jobs, they can be easily replaced. That is why you will never see a strike at WDW.

Chape19714

If I didnt enjoy working at WDW, I would have left a long time ago. Disney is always saying that they are competitive with the rest of the local industry. Which if want to compare Disney to Universal thats great. But I think that Disney expects a lot more out of the cast than what Universal does of its employees. Disney also needs to look at the pay of its Transportation CM (starts at Aprox $8.75hr), and compare that to Mears or Lynx (Starts at Aprox $10hr). Why do you think so many people get trained to be Bus drivers, and then leave and go to work for Lynx or Mears (Hint: $$$). Disney also has hotels. Lets compare a Disney CM working a the front desk to a person working for a local Marriott or Hilton. Disney starts the front desk out at aprox $8.50 hr. Marriott just outside of Disney starts there front desk at $11.50 hr. Marriott starts off paying more than I am making after 10+ years at Disney.
Like I said, I like working for Disney; I wish that the executives at WDW understood that Free admission to the parks, Merchandise discounts, and a pay raise that they will off set by raising health insurance costs doesnt pay the bills. I would like to see Meg Crofton or Al Weis live on a hourly CMs pay for one full year. :rolleyes:

I truly believe that WDW would be a better place, if they paid better. Higher pay = more people wanting to work here = Ability to higher only the best.

As someone who has worked similar roles at both, I can say it's actually pretty comparable. Universal expects more in some ways, Disney in others. It's just different. That's all.

enoe01

I hope all the WDW cast members get a decent raise and are taken care of. I know I spend alot of my money at WDW every year with 3 trips a year.

Now on the other hand I just had 6% of my pay taken away and we also lost our steps so that equated to a 14% loss, then like everyone else we had out insurance increase so in actuallity we have lost more than 14%. I am really happy to have a job and insurance but I dont know how much more i can afford to lose.

Just sayin

Erik

s8film40

Interesting comment until you said Transportation cast start at $8.75 and then specifically mentioned bus drivers. Bus Drivers currently start at $10.55/hr. Higher than any other bus outfit in Orlando including Mears and American Coach. The only exception is Lynx who is different for a whole host of reasons pertinent to such an operation.

Sure the Mears and other drivers makes tips but if you talk to some of those drivers, you will find out everything was not coming up roses for them.

I have actually talked to quite a few Mears bus drivers many of whom worked as a Disney driver before realizing they could do much better working for Mears. On the high end I know a driver that averages between $100 - $150 a day in tips. Many of the others I talk to are in the $75 - $100 range. So over a 8 hour shift they usually match their paycheck with tips effectively doubling their pay to somewhere around $20 an hour.

RETLAW

Sorry about the mis qoute for Disney bus drivers. That was the starting pay last year when I looked into transferring to that area. There was a help wanted add in the the Orlando Sentinel either last week or 2 weeks ago for Mears; and it said starting with out experience was 12.33hr.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom