News Disney to develop residential communities with new 'Storyliving by Disney' business

DisneyCane

When the house bubble bursts, which is not far off the horizon, an the housing market crashes this, will be another epic disaster, a la starcruiser. I'm betting by the time this 'community' is ready, interest rates will be back up, because current inflation. Disney is gonna lose millions. Corporate executive buffon's only seeing $$$ lowing hang fruit anyone could see, not seeing the big picture. Universal is investing massively to take Disney's attendance away. What do Disney executives do? More expensive Celebration 2.0, in less than decade, I'm predicting Universal will have #1 attendance.
^This.

Apparently nothing was learned from the 2008 housing crash. The current housing prices are absolutely insane and driven in large part by interest rates being too low. Zillow estimates my house as being valued over $1 Million. I like my house but there is no way it should be worth close to that level.

Disstevefan1

It sure seems like the worst time to do this; as previous posts said, the bubble will burst, also this is possibly the most expensive time to build anything!

The question is how much actual money is TWDC investing? Possibly very little and only providing their name and some concept drawings and the money only flows in one direction for TWDC in this deal, money flows to them; a lot of $$ if it’s a success, a little or none if it’s not? No actual risk to TWDC?

Folks may say they risk their brand…….Nope…. Its invincible 😀

Lilofan

^This.

Apparently nothing was learned from the 2008 housing crash. The current housing prices are absolutely insane and driven in large part by interest rates being too low. Zillow estimates my house as being valued over $1 Million. I like my house but there is no way it should be worth close to that level.
My home has tripled in value and I've made little improvements but if sold, where to go? All other nearby real estate is exploding in value also.

mightynine

I’ve seen others talk about whether a bubble will happen or if it will be as bad as the last one due to the fact this time around, a higher percentage of properties is owned by investors/corporations rather than individuals/families.

Basically, a larger section of the market could handle a massive drop in prices and what that could mean for any bubble.

Lilofan

I’ve seen others talk about whether a bubble will happen or if it will be as bad as the last one due to the fact this time around, a higher percentage of properties is owned by investors/corporations rather than individuals/families.

Basically, a larger section of the market could handle a massive drop in prices and what that could mean for any bubble.
In my family member area of Corona Del Mar, CA, a number of million dollar beach bungalows are foreign owned with being occupied only 1-2x a year.

DisneyCane

My home has tripled in value and I've made little improvements but if sold, where to go? All other nearby real estate is exploding in value also.
I've got the same issue. I could make a huge profit by selling but then I don't know where I'd live. I guess I could rent a something for a year and hope the crash happens in that time frame and then buy an even nicer house for less than I sold mine for but trying to time it would be risky.

Lilofan

I've got the same issue. I could make a huge profit by selling but then I don't know where I'd live. I guess I could rent a something for a year and hope the crash happens in that time frame and then buy an even nicer house for less than I sold mine for but trying to time it would be risky.
I never thought I would question my home is worth so much, if sell where to go? A cheaper cost of living area does have its drawbacks, health care, education, social services etc,

SteveAZee

If you feel real estate is at the peak and the bubble will burst soon, you could probably find someone to sell to who is looking for the investment and rent it back from them. They take the risk of the bubble bursting and you get to stay in place until the market drops enough to buy a different home. The downside is needing to find a shelter for the gains in the meantime if the bubble doesn't burst quickly enough.

Snake

More concerning about this community development, one can only assume the board of directors just want to act like an investment firm rather than an entertainment company. Looking for money anywhere instead of what is supposed to be their expertise. I mean what are they thinking? That is where the true rot in this company lays. A company built outside the box now defines what it means to live inside it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When the house bubble bursts, which is not far off the horizon, an the housing market crashes this, will be another epic disaster, a la starcruiser. I'm betting by the time this 'community' is ready, interest rates will be back up, because current inflation. Disney is gonna lose millions. Corporate executive buffon's only seeing $$$ lowing hang fruit anyone could see, not seeing the big picture. Universal is investing massively to take Disney's attendance away. What do Disney executives do? More expensive Celebration 2.0, in less than decade, I'm predicting Universal will have #1 attendance.
The last real estate bubble burst because predatory loans were being pushed by banks and ignorantly accepted by borrowers unsustainably. On top of that, those bad loans got repackaged in insanely chopped up trading such that the holders of the debt couldn't even determine whose debt they were holding. Of course that crashed.

The current bubble is due to lack of housing almost everywhere that is driving up prices. I haven't heard of widespread over-leveraging nor crazy debt repackaging this time around (not that it isn't happening, I've not seen anyone sounding the alarm... yet). So, with lack of supply, the only way that could 'crash' is if there is a huge building boom that goes on to create a lot more housing than need... and that's not likely with supply chain issues.

Lilofan

The last real estate bubble burst because predatory loans were being pushed by banks and ignorantly accepted by borrowers unsustainably. On top of that, those bad loans got repackaged in insanely chopped up trading such that the holders of the debt couldn't even determine whose debt they were holding. Of course that crashed.

The current bubble is due to lack of housing almost everywhere that is driving up prices. I haven't heard of widespread over-leveraging nor crazy debt repackaging this time around (not that it isn't happening, I've not seen anyone sounding the alarm... yet). So, with lack of supply, the only way that could 'crash' is if there is a huge building boom that goes on to create a lot more housing than need... and that's not likely with supply chain issues.
Supply chain issues and add to that , severe labor shortage issues to build homes. New homes are being built and plywood is being walled up where garage doors would have been, lack of garage doors in inventory.

Last edited:

sinead

These are exactly the same discussion people had during every bubble since the 80s.

We've seen "bubbles" since the 80s. Everyone tries to time them. Most regular folk aren't able to. Assuming the supply chain issue won't be resolved one day & a building boom won't suddenly begin is one more big "maybe." There is not a lack of housing now-There is inflated 'bubble' pricing preventing millions from finding AFFORDABLE housing.
Price gauging Chapek-style.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney will host a groundbreaking ceremony on April 26 for Cotino, its new Storyliving community in Rancho Mirage.

Invitations to the 10 a.m. ceremony were emailed to the media Tuesday.

A spokesperson for Disney said Thursday afternoon that the groundbreaking would not be a public event."

GimpYancIent

"Disney will host a groundbreaking ceremony on April 26 for Cotino, its new Storyliving community in Rancho Mirage.

A spokesperson for Disney said Thursday afternoon that the groundbreaking would not be a public event."

Good use of some barren desert.

TikibirdLand

Mine must've got lost somehow. Kinda bummed I didn't get invited!

Club Cooloholic

This would seem to be targeted to an upper-middle class demographic who will call the home their primary residence. I don't think similar restrictions would fly for them, but I guess time will tell on how this all pans out. Personally, I don't think I could justify buying a $15m home while I can't even choose a shrub for the front yard... it's not a problem since I couldn't afford it anyway. 🤣

On a separate note, I do have to wonder if Disney will truly be in this for the long haul in terms of the ongoing operation of the club. One of the selling points of the community is the "legendary Disney service" but I'm really not convinced they're going to have CMs on the company payroll working there for decades to come.
Plenty of people though deal with those types of covenants without it being a million dollar home. Probably still that way at Celebration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom