News Disney to develop residential communities with new 'Storyliving by Disney' business

el_super

That's what makes this whole thing so perplexing to me. The development won't be designed by Disney, and won't include the innovation and attention to detail that made Disney's built-environments famous around the world. So what's left? Some signage promoting the latest characters and clubhouse employees telling me to "have a magical day"?

We don't know how deeply embedded the Disney services will be. We are all still guessing and assuming.

Having the project in California, and not that far (relatively) from Disneyland allows them to leverage a lot of the expertise/talent they already have working there. Disney could easily shuttle characters and performers back and forth. Entertainment (directors/choreographers/costumers) can be designing small shows and atmosphere entertainment. Talent booking could be negotiating with live bands in SoCal and booking Cotino venues the same time they're booking Downtown Disney. Groups could be coordinating a long list of resort style activities like dance parties, camp fire sing alongs, movie nights, trivia nights.

There's also potential for merchandise special events and special artist signings (Josh Agle lives just around the corner right?).

This could go all the way up to even having small scale rides/attractions following the same "mixed-use" formula they seem to be cooking up for the new Downtown Disney/Expansion space.

I think a lot of what we have seen in the parks, indicates that the demand for Disney is exceptionally high. Even with the homes removed, if you considered this concept akin to more DVC resorts spread out through the country, there's potential there for success.

With a lot of Disney stores closing, and less reason for people to be outside at all, this is a potential path for Disney to have a greater reach with a greater audience, while also working to corner the market on physical in-person entertainment, where most everyone else is moving online/virtual.

It will take a lot of effort to do it right though, and that's always the question with Disney.

Californian Elitist

You sure it just wasn't a joke made in passing? That they didn't just make that comment, move on with their day and not give a community by Disney another thought? People do it all the time on the internet.

If they ever build this, turns out to be nice, I win hundreds of millions, maybe you'll see us there.

We also had living our sunset years on a cruise-ship on our list, but that's dropped to the bottom... :D
Again, as I stated, they put a laughing emoji at the end of their post, but there’s likely some truth to the statement, regardless.

If you want to live in one of these communities, that’s your prerogative. My opinion doesn’t change though.

seascape

I was looking at the location and thinking about the hotel, will it include a DVC portion. DVC has always wanted to expand off property and if they built these communities in areas people not only want to live but also vacation at.

Amused to Death

Most of celebration was built by Mattamy

No, most of Celebration was not built by Mattamy. Mattamy is the newest builder to come to Celebration, having purchased all of the remaining buildable land located southwest of Celebration High School. Mattamy spent a nice chunk of change building a bridge in order to get homes back in there.

In all, there have been some 20+ builders in Celebration. I used to have a home in Artisan Park that was built by St. Joe.

St. Joe/Arvida was at one time ran by Peter Rummell, who spent some time as chairman of Walt Disney Imagineering, and who was the one who originally pitched the idea of Celebration to Michael Eisner, while heading up Disney Development Company.

castlecake2.0

No, most of Celebration was not built by Mattamy. Mattamy is the newest builder to come to Celebration, having purchased all of the remaining buildable land located southwest of Celebration High School. Mattamy spent a nice chunk of change building a bridge in order to get homes back in there.

In all, there have been some 20+ builders in Celebration. I used to have a home in Artisan Park that was built by St. Joe.

St. Joe/Arvida was at one time ran by Peter Rummell, who spent some time as chairman of Walt Disney Imagineering, and who was the one who originally pitched the idea of Celebration to Michael Eisner, while heading up Disney Development Company.
I was already corrected a few pages back but thanks.

Amused to Death

Disney IS still associated with Celebration. They still own The Celebration Company. A new development, Island Village, is being built right now.

To be clear, Mattamy Homes owns the land that comprises Island Village, has created their own portfolio of single family, townhome, and estate home designs, and is responsible for their construction. Mattamy purchased the land from The Celebration Company, in three installments, for a combined total of $48 million. Mattamy recently sold 11 acres to the school disctrict of Osceola County for $12 million to be used for a K-5 school.

Celebration Pointe, at the World Drive exchange, is being developed by Unicorp National Developments and Daryl Carter. The property was purchased for $13.6 million. Plans originally called for it to feature a Dave & Buster's, but COVID has taken a toll on them, and they asked to get out of their lease. Current less exciting but more practical plans call for a Publix shopping center.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

To be clear, Mattamy Homes owns the land that comprises Island Village, has created their own portfolio of single family, townhome, and estate home designs, and is responsible for their construction. Mattamy purchased the land from The Celebration Company, in three installments, for a combined total of $48 million. Mattamy recently sold 11 acres to the school disctrict of Osceola County for $12 million to be used for a K-5 school.

Celebration Pointe, at the World Drive exchange, is being developed by Unicorp National Developments and Daryl Carter. The property was purchased for $13.6 million. Plans originally called for it to feature a Dave & Buster's, but COVID has taken a toll on them, and they have asked to get out of their lease. Current less exciting but more practical plans call for a Publix shopping center.
Owning the land still comes with conditions that involve The Celebration Company, namely aesthetic approval. Even the new school has to have its look approved by Disney even though school districts are effectively their own municipalities that can otherwise do as they desire.

Last edited:

Amused to Death

Owning the land still comes with conditions that involve The Celebration Company, namely aesthetic approval. Even the new school has to have its look approved by Disney even though school districts are effectively their own municipalities that can otherwise do as they desire.

Correct. The Celebration Company retains authority to review and act upon any new homes or structures until such time as certificates of occupancy have been issued. The Celebration Company can veto any new construction it determines to be inappropriate or inadvisable. Veto is the operative word here. The Celebration Company didn't participate in the design of Mattamy's homes. Nor is it likely they will be involved with the design of the school. Now, if Osceola County were to come forward with a rendering of the school as a 50-foot-tall Happy Meal box, besides letting them know it has already been done, The Celebration Company, or via delegation, Celebration's Architectural Review Committee, may very well veto the idea.

The point of my post was to eliminate confusion for any persons who might otherwise think Disney, by way of The Celebration Company, owns or is building Island Village. They do not and are not.

castlecake2.0

Correct. The Celebration Company retains authority to review and act upon any new homes or structures until such time as certificates of occupancy have been issued. The Celebration Company can veto any new construction it determines to be inappropriate or inadvisable. Veto is the operative word here. The Celebration Company didn't participate in the design of Mattamy's homes. Nor is it likely they will be involved with the design of the school. Now, if Osceola County were to come forward with a rendering of the school as a 50-foot-tall Happy Meal box, besides letting them know it has already been done, The Celebration Company, or via delegation, Celebration's Architectural Review Committee, may very well veto the idea.

The point of my post was to eliminate confusion for any persons who might otherwise think Disney, by way of The Celebration Company, owns or is building Island Village. They do not and are not.
They didn’t participate in the design but I believe the design has to follow rules that TCC has in place for the town, is that correct?

Also side note, today on my walk I noticed all the lamp posts electrical covers feature the celebration logo with a (C) DISNEY stamped on it, made me laugh.

floydbeatle

I'm not so down on this concept. I understand that there are examples where Disney has been less than successful. However, if done right, I think this is a way of building the brand that doesn't require Disney to build any new parks or require huge amounts of investment for some other type of concept. The Latitude by Margaritaville communities are very successful, and sell the laid-back lifestyle envisioned by Jimmy Buffett music. Sometimes he even shows up and performs concerts at the various communities. In the end it is just a 55+ branded community developed and managed by Minto/St. Joe.

I disagree that it is outside of Disney's core mission. This could be a way to create that "synergy" they always reference and is more of a long-term strategy. While I don't expect GO prices, the developer builds GO priced communities, so I expect this community will be marketed to those who are right below the GO market (Pure speculation on my part). They may be less price sensitive or concerned with economic downturns. The company is a global behemoth and I think this is another way to indoctrinate future consumers to go spend money at the parks, buy Disney+, and continue to purchase all of the merchandise. It disperses the brand throughout the country in a more meaningful, day-to-day way, and if true that the public can buy day tickets, they can sell DVC/vacations, etc. It could work.

Lilofan

I'm not so down on this concept. I understand that there are examples where Disney has been less than successful. However, if done right, I think this is a way of building the brand that doesn't require Disney to build any new parks or require huge amounts of investment for some other type of concept. The Latitude by Margaritaville communities are very successful, and sell the laid-back lifestyle envisioned by Jimmy Buffett music. Sometimes he even shows up and performs concerts at the various communities. In the end it is just a 55+ branded community developed and managed by Minto/St. Joe.

I disagree that it is outside of Disney's core mission. This could be a way to create that "synergy" they always reference and is more of a long-term strategy. While I don't expect GO prices, the developer builds GO priced communities, so I expect this community will be marketed to those who are right below the GO market (Pure speculation on my part). They may be less price sensitive or concerned with economic downturns. The company is a global behemoth and I think this is another way to indoctrinate future consumers to go spend money at the parks, buy Disney+, and continue to purchase all of the merchandise. It disperses the brand throughout the country in a more meaningful, day-to-day way, and if true that the public can buy day tickets, they can sell DVC/vacations, etc. It could work.
One unique aspect is cast member opportunities to work in these storytelling communities to be built while retaining cast member benefits and privileges when visiting DLR and WDW.

Comped

I was looking at the location and thinking about the hotel, will it include a DVC portion. DVC has always wanted to expand off property and if they built these communities in areas people not only want to live but also vacation at.
DVC never expanded past Hilton Head/Vero Beach, Aulani excepted, because the two failed due to horrible planning and little reason to attracting guests to them versus the main DVC properties (or non-DVC competitors). A NYC tower was never built, although I suspect it could have worked, and I've always heard talk of a DVC expansion to Chicago to go alongside DisneyQuest if that had succeeded in the market. There were plenty of reasons/avenues for DVC to expand off-property until this point, but Disney has been extremely risk adverse in doing so. And I doubt that, of all the oppertunities that passed them by between those two points (and post-Aulani), that this would be a reasonable idea in the eyes of DVC management. I could be wrong though.

the.dreamfinder

DVC never expanded past Hilton Head/Vero Beach, Aulani excepted, because the two failed due to horrible planning and little reason to attracting guests to them versus the main DVC properties (or non-DVC competitors). A NYC tower was never built, although I suspect it could have worked, and I've always heard talk of a DVC expansion to Chicago to go alongside DisneyQuest if that had succeeded in the market. There were plenty of reasons/avenues for DVC to expand off-property until this point, but Disney has been extremely risk adverse in doing so. And I doubt that, of all the oppertunities that passed them by between those two points (and post-Aulani), that this would be a reasonable idea in the eyes of DVC management. I could be wrong though.
If they picked the right shore and the right location, a DVC resort at the Jersey Shore would do gangbusters.

the.dreamfinder

And who wants to vacation at the NJ shore in the wintertime? There is a reason why the northern most DVC location is in SC.
You just don’t offer timeshare slots for those periods. The profits they could make from the prime season from April to September would more than make up for it, especially if they had a healthy number of cash rooms.

seascape

If they picked the right shore and the right location, a DVC resort at the Jersey Shore would do gangbusters.
I live and grew up at the Jersey Shore, Monmouth County, but I don't know how a DVC would do. There are a number of timeshares around Atlantic City that have done well but a DVC would need more that just the beach. I still think the NYC and National Harbor would have worked and I wish they were built. OTH I think if they purchased Seaworld they could build one in or near all their parks and make money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom