Disney to charge for Fastpass

Mr.EPCOT

However those of us with brains tend to use FP on those high attendance attractions and visit things like Universe of Energy in the wait window. Simple really . And If you get up early there's plenty of FPs available at opening, and I can manage two or three vsists to each attraction in a day.

Hoorrahh for FP, providing its free. I wonder if Disney plans to pull a Universal and make it a perk for resort guests. Niceeeee

At the risk of sounding like Kevin Yee (ouch, stop throwing stuff at me!), yes, FastPass works awesome for those of us who know the system. But I have a feeling that normal Guests only use FastPass on an average of about 2-3 attractions everyday. That's a bit of a disadvantage at the Magic Kingdom, where you've got several heavy-hitters such as Space, Splash, Big Thunder, Buzz, etc. Now in the case of EPCOT, there's only two attractions you'd really want FastPasses for, and I think most Guests are smart enough to realize that, but you might only end up with a set of FPs for one or the other if distribution is done by the time the two hours or your return time window comes along. Especially if you get FPs for Test Track, they'll probably be gone at Soarin' by the time you could get some there. Once again, we're talking about the average Joe here who won't know things like FPs usually running out for Soarin' in the early afternoon.

A part of me wants to say "I just can't imagine Disney would stoop so low in actually starting to charge for Fastpass, especially since other parks who have copied the system do charge for it." But then again.. Disney keeps raising prices so I guess it wouldn't surprise me. It would still really grind my gears though if this happens. I agree too that if they do start to charge for it, they will cleverly add the price as an "option" in the whole "Magic Your Way" b.s. system.

"Magic Your Way" = "Our way of charging you a la carte' for stuff you should be getting with admission in the first place"

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
. Once again, we're talking about the average Joe here who won't know things like FPs usually running out for Soarin' in the early afternoon.

A recent UK TV program actually advised people to do some research and planning as this would make the trip more enjoyable. Fail to plan, plan to fail.

GrimGhost

I've read most of this thread, but I do apologize if this has been discussed here or on another. What would FP likely cost to a guest--per day? Is it feasible to not charge at all and only offer resort guest FP, but at no charge? Just wondering if any one had any thoughts.

go3epcot

Fastpass is a brilliant system - its the CMs who don't control its use by not checking times and dates etc that makes it fail

BINGO! How quickly we forget how much we loved the idea of FP when it came out. The great idea is being negatively altered by those who don't follow the time periods they are alloted, and by those castmembers who let them abuse the system. If you aren't going to return to the ride in the time specified then you will have to wait in the regular line. Make that policy clear to all who get a FP and the system will work fine.
IMHO Disney will not charge for FP, at least not until they have made a sincere effort to fix the growing abuse of it...

BensMum

The strange thing is, the Sequoia Lodge is one of the hotels you CAN get the VIP pass , it is one of three hotels which offer suites (Disneyland and Newport being the other two). I would say the Sequoia and NewPort are moderate style hotels.

Paul
Yes, Sequoia Lodge does have suites available, if you have the unlimited budget to pay for them. We've stretched our budget to the limit to upgrade to a room with a lakeside view, but no way could afford to upgrade to a suite to entitle us to the VIP fastpass. If we could afford it I still wouldn't do it as a) we don't need a suite and have booked a room that is more than suitable for us, and b) I wouldn't pay for a suite just to get a VIP Fastpass. Fastpass is great as long as it remains free and makes all guests equal once they have gone through the gate to the park.

jt04

However those of us with brains tend to use FP on those high attendance attractions and visit things like Universe of Energy in the wait window. Simple really . And If you get up early there's plenty of FPs available at opening, and I can manage two or three vsists to each attraction in a day.

Hoorrahh for FP, providing its free. I wonder if Disney plans to pull a Universal and make it a perk for resort guests. Niceeeee

I think it is pretty much inevitable that Fastpass will become a perk to get guests to stay on site and as a Premium feature for locals who pay for an upgraded AP. Eventually visiting WDW will only be practical if you stay on site or have AP's. Day guests are being discouraged.

fosse76

Actually, there are movie theaters that charge extra to sit in VIP areas. It's really no different. You have to spend more to get the perks. There's nothing shady about it.

Those VIP seats are rare, as they really didn't take off. Most movie theaters abandoned them after it became too costly.

And it's not price gauging. Disney can charge whatever the market will bear. If they raise the price too high, they will lose business to their competitors.

And it is gauging because it is something that affects the wait time of people who do not pay the extra fee. Either pay for the FP or wait in a much longer line. Clearly, these companies know that the line cutting systems increase the wait times for everyone else...at a certain point people will feel that they have no choice but to spend the extra $30 to get a FP, because otherwise they are forced to wait in significantly longer lines. If Disney is going to charge for a FP, then they need to lower the gate price for people who don't use the FP system. Why should I spend $70 to get on three rides? As a resort destination, Disney gets away with its overcharging (you actually don't get as much as you think you do for what you are paying). If Disney were a localized park (mostly locals as opposed to tourists) there is absolutely no way they would get away with charging $70. They'd be lucky to get away with $45 for what the parks have to offer individually. The market bears it because people save for vacations and the longer you are at Disney the cheaper the admission becomes. The market knows it's going to be expensive so people grin and bear it.

And for the record, there is absolutely no prohibition that would prevent the State of Florida from passing a law to regulate theme parks pricing.

reptar77

I think the FP system now is great when used properly. I think that if disney is going to charge for it they will go the way they did with the EMH; FP are available to on site guest only. They will defiantly make more money, the bummer will be it is hard enough now to get a resort room. Far gone are the days of slow times.
On the other hand, with the increased ticket price you are prob paying for FP already.

JasonCajun

Why are people happy or complacent about Disney charging for a service they already offer? I don't get it. Are we all like sheep?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think it's a great idea as, obviously, MOST people have no idea how to use it properly, especially without abusing the system.

Take the system away from those mere peons, who don't appreciate it anyway, and use it as a perk for those with the intelligence to better themselves and be able to use it properly.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Why are people happy or complacent about Disney charging for a service they already offer? I don't get it. Are we all like sheep?
Complacent? Hardly. Happy? Certainly not. However, this isn't something I'm going to get all worked up about either. Disney will run its business the way it sees fit. If it reaches the point where I can't afford to go when I want to, then perhaps I'll find a different place to spend my entertainment budget. Companies the world over offer services for free and then when they've established a market interest, they start charging for it. Why would Disney be any different?

I think it's a great idea as, obviously, MOST people have no idea how to use it properly, especially without abusing the system.

Take the system away from those mere peons, who don't appreciate it anyway, and use it as a perk for those with the intelligence to better themselves and be able to use it properly.
Or there are those of us even smarter who abuse the system for our own benefit and are quite content to do so. :D

tomm4004

What did we do before the invention of the fast pass.. Oh thats right we waited in lines. I rarely use fast passes. Thats because most of the attractions I like do not have them. What would the waits be like if Disney decided to pull the plugs on the fast pass system?

Pundits have written that FP has allowed Disney to cut capacity. That without FP Disney would have to build more rides to meet demand. I don't know if this is true, but it seems that capacity has not increased over the years. MK's capacity is less with the closure of 20,000 and the Skyway; EPCOT's is about the same; and MGM and AK's have only crept up slowly. So perhaps FP saves Disney tons of cash by allowing them to build fewer rides. They control lines through FP rather than actually having enough attractions to equal crowd levels.

lebeau

Pundits have written that FP has allowed Disney to cut capacity. That without FP Disney would have to build more rides to meet demand. I don't know if this is true, but it seems that capacity has not increased over the years. MK's capacity is less with the closure of 20,000 and the Skyway; EPCOT's is about the same; and MGM and AK's have only crept up slowly. So perhaps FP saves Disney tons of cash by allowing them to build fewer rides. They control lines through FP rather than actually having enough attractions to equal crowd levels.

This is absolutely false. Fast Pass was never intended to impact capacity. At best, it redistributes wait times evenly. But since most people queue for another attraction while they wait for their FP, it actually has the opposite effect. Stand-by lines are longer than ever and move more slowly.

FP also presents the problems of people using fake or expired FPs. And people using FPs outside of their window adds to the capacity problem.

FP doesn't save Disney a dime. If anything, it costs them money. But people like it and Disney is able to market it as a perk. So, it's not going anywhere.

lebeau

What did we do before the invention of the fast pass.. Oh thats right we waited in lines. I rarely use fast passes. Thats because most of the attractions I like do not have them. What would the waits be like if Disney decided to pull the plugs on the fast pass system?

The lines for rides with Fast Pass would be longer as everyone would wait in the same line. However, they would move much more quickly. Due to the inefficiencies in the FP system, the odds are that getting rid of FP would make the average wait times for most rides shorter.

However, the people who would benefit from the shorter waits are the casual visitors who weren't using FP or weren't using it effectively. The wait times for people who knew how to use (and sometimes abuse) FP would be longer.

lebeau

Those VIP seats are rare, as they really didn't take off. Most movie theaters abandoned them after it became too costly.

And it is gauging because it is something that affects the wait time of people who do not pay the extra fee. Either pay for the FP or wait in a much longer line. Clearly, these companies know that the line cutting systems increase the wait times for everyone else...at a certain point people will feel that they have no choice but to spend the extra $30 to get a FP, because otherwise they are forced to wait in significantly longer lines. If Disney is going to charge for a FP, then they need to lower the gate price for people who don't use the FP system. Why should I spend $70 to get on three rides? As a resort destination, Disney gets away with its overcharging (you actually don't get as much as you think you do for what you are paying). If Disney were a localized park (mostly locals as opposed to tourists) there is absolutely no way they would get away with charging $70. They'd be lucky to get away with $45 for what the parks have to offer individually. The market bears it because people save for vacations and the longer you are at Disney the cheaper the admission becomes. The market knows it's going to be expensive so people grin and bear it.

And for the record, there is absolutely no prohibition that would prevent the State of Florida from passing a law to regulate theme parks pricing.

Price gouging is a technical term. Just because something is priced higher than you think is fair, that doesn't make it gouging.

Here is the definintion of price gouging:

price gouging - pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available

If the market will bear it, it's not gouging. Also, there are alternatives to Disney. So, it's not gouging.

The state of FL is way to smart to try to regulate prices for theme parks. Seriously, that would be a terrible idea for them. They would be biting the hand that feeds them. Plus, the theme parks would just have to make their money another way.

tomm4004

This is absolutely false. Fast Pass was never intended to impact capacity. At best, it redistributes wait times evenly. But since most people queue for another attraction while they wait for their FP, it actually has the opposite effect. Stand-by lines are longer than ever and move more slowly...

Just curious, has anyone actually tracked the difference in stand-by lines for FP attractions and lines for non-FP attractions since the implementation of the technology? Have lines for non-FP attractions increased? It doesn't seem that way to me. There doesn't seem to be any more people going on Carousel of Progress or People Mover, for example. There does seem to be more people walking about and hanging around.

With a FP in hand (for say Splash), I'm more apt to run over to BTMR, knowing that the line there will be getting long, rather than to a non-FP attraction where I know the line will never get that long - hence the reason it doesn't have FP! So I'm wondering if FP affects lines mostly for FP attractions, but not for non-FP attractions. I don't see longer lines for Small World, just longer stand-by lines for Peter Pan.

The Mom

Premium Member
I wonder how many people posting on this topic went to the parks, as an older teen/adult so your memory of an event is more accurate, in the days before FP?

I did, which is why I like FP. ;) I would make the trip hoping to see the latest or my favorite attraction, but would be deterred by long lines. I'd have to keep checking back every couple of hours to see if the line was any shorter.

Riding a mountain twice in a row, or in a day, wasn't possible except under rare circumstances, in the very slow season. (Which doesn't exist anymore.)

Quite frankly, none of us are entitled to a WDW vacation, and as others have stated, they'll keep on raising the price until people stop coming because it's perceived as too expensive for what they get, then Disney will cut prices or add incentives to lure them back again.

If I had people lining up to purchase my product, despite constantly raising prices, why would I lower prices until I notice the demand falling? There are so many other important areas where the price is going up; why are people so concerned about a luxury item?

Believe it or not (and I know this is heresy) you can survive without Disney. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom