Disney to charge for Fastpass

My roommate works in a place that requires her to frequently check up on Disney policies, procedures and whatnot. She recently stumbled on some official verbiage laying out Disney's plans to charge for Fastpass. /quote]
Sorry haven't read the entire thread, but is this true? If so....:fork:But really wouldn't put it past them. :zipit:

The Mom

Premium Member
I know that it's almost impossible to get accurate figures, but could the increase in tourism also be affecting the wait times? I have found the parks to be more crowded, in general, now than they were 10 years ago. There was a drop in attendance immediately post 9/11, but it appeared (to me) that things were getting busier prior to that.

I base this on difficulty getting a room, decrease in "special" deals for passholders, etc. And lately, the dining plans have really increased attendance.

So I think it may be difficult to gauge. I just know that in my experience, prior to the last couple of years, FP made things better for me, without making the standby lines (which I also had to stand in during the day) intolerable.

The only way to really tell would be to eliminate the FP completely for a few weeks, and then measure the actual wait time on attractions without it.

socalkdg

It's funny that you mention Walt's method for redirecting traffic within the parks. It seems to me that is an excellent argument in favor of charging for FP.
That is true, and realized that in my original post. I love FP for both DLR and WDW, and depending on the price, would possibly purchase it, more likely at WDW where I might go once a year as opposed to DLR where its a visit per month.

The problem with a basic charge to FP that you add on to your ticket is the number of complaints that would start occuring from people that use their basic ticket in the FP machines and nothing happens, then are told by a CM that sorry, FP is now a paid option.

An easy way around this it to slightly reduce the amount of FP that are available each hour, still keeping them open to everyone. Then the balance of FP that are normally available are now given to Deluxe guests that use their TV to reserve them the night before. Keeping Deluxe rooms at full capacity is where the money is made on rooms, and this would be another incentive for people to stay at a Deluxe.

BwanaBob

If you spend time making fake/counterfeit FastPasses, you:

A) Have way too much time on your hands...
B) are a loser
C) both A & B

[/2 cents]

BenS

One request I would have is a holding area for people waiting for the times, instead of hovering around the entrance.

This seems to be a big problem at TSM. When I was there in August Pixar Place was always super crowded, with the majority of people just kind of standing around looking at the entrance. I can only imagine that's why they were there. (unless they were just dumbfounded by the wait time. :lol:)

dmagickingdom

I hope it doesn't happen, I've visited WDW for the last 17 years and I'm a big fan. I always boast about it to all my friends how great it's to visit WDW. When my family and I go to WDW (4 of us) we do all 4 parks 4 day hoppers (That's $900 worth of tickets) not counting what we eat at the park and other misc.items we buy. Now we have to pay for our fastpass also, not good not good at all!! I do Universal also when I visit Florida and let me tell I love the park, but the Express Tickets are way too much money.
LETS HOPE DISNEY ITS NOT PLANNING ON THIS

Well, i guess look at this on the only bright side. For MANY years prior to fastpass, you were used to standing in lines so I guess if we don't wanna pay, then it'll go back to the old days to what we were used to....kinda...I will NOT pay for a pass.

I think it's ridiculous that Universal charges. I remember when Disney first rolled FP out, Universal countered really quick and had tables in front of the attractions handwriting return times on paper. That was hilarious!!

Daddymouse

Maybe Disney has been charging for FP all along through hidden increased charges on all tickets. In that case every ticket holder ahs the option to use the FP or not to use the FP. It wouldn't be the first time that a program is paid for by indirect monies. e.g. Why don't we pay directly for transportation? it must (IMHO) be paid for in parking fees and nightly room charges.

BenS

Maybe Disney has been charging for FP all along through hidden increased charges on all tickets. In that case every ticket holder ahs the option to use the FP or not to use the FP. It wouldn't be the first time that a program is paid for by indirect monies. e.g. Why don't we pay directly for transportation? it must (IMHO) be paid for in parking fees and nightly room charges.

Well, you're basically just saying that the hotel/ticket prices pay the operating costs of the parks.

RiversideBunny

I know that it's almost impossible to get accurate figures, but could the increase in tourism also be affecting the wait times? I have found the parks to be more crowded, in general, now than they were 10 years ago. ...

Agree.
I think the old saying by Yogi Berra comes to mind: "Nobody goes there any more. It's too crowded."

It's still WDW with all the magic but maybe we've done too good of a job of selling WDW as a great place to go.
S0- maybe start telling people that it's a terrible place and they should not go there. Then it won't be so crowded.

Yeah, like that's going to happen.

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom